Mattis resigns - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By foxdemon
Mattis, in resignation letter, lays bare divide with Trump
1 MIN READ
U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis attends the swearing in ceremony for new Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., July 30, 2018. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told President Donald Trump in his resignation letter on Thursday that he was leaving the administration so Trump could have a Pentagon chief with views “better aligned” with his own.

In a letter that stressed the value Mattis placed on U.S. alliances and the need to be “unambiguous” with countries like China and Russia, Mattis wrote to Trump: “Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-mattis-letter/mattis-in-resignation-letter-lays-bare-divide-with-trump-idUSKCN1OJ2XN

To those in the know, this isn’t surprising. However, given Kelly also recently left, it does have significant implications for US military preparation and foriegn policy. Now neocons such as John Bolton and Mike Pompeo, will have a free hand in determining strategy. We can expect the hawk solution to be chosen by default.

What are the implications for these new circumstances?
By Rugoz
Fucking over the Kurds, America's main ally in the fight against ISIS, must be Trump's dumbest foreign policy decision yet. I would have resigned too.
By XogGyux
Rugoz wrote:Fucking over the Kurds, America's main ally in the fight against ISIS, must be Trump's dumbest foreign policy decision yet. I would have resigned too.

Get in line. There are plenty of contenders for "dumbest foreign policy" :lol:
By One Degree
America’s foreign policy has been dumb for a very long time. We are imperialist who don’t colonize. It is a contradiction doomed to failure. It is exemplified in those criticizing America as imperialist while criticizing Trump for not being imperialist. They want the US to force some to get in line while insisting we leave others alone. Support some autonomy movements, but not others. Just ‘knee jerk reactions’ that have no clear long term goal. Make sure you really know what you want the US to be, before criticizing Trump’s or any President’s actions.
By JohnRawls
One Degree wrote:America’s foreign policy has been dumb for a very long time. We are imperialist who don’t colonize. It is a contradiction doomed to failure. It is exemplified in those criticizing America as imperialist while criticizing Trump for not being imperialist. They want the US to force some to get in line while insisting we leave others alone. Support some autonomy movements, but not others. Just ‘knee jerk reactions’ that have no clear long term goal. Make sure you really know what you want the US to be, before criticizing Trump’s or any President’s actions.

Don't make me laugh. Both EU and the US are imperialists that colonize.(Actually we are the most succesfull colonizers) We just don't colonize in the same way as we used to. Opening the markets, installing a pro-Nato regime is more than enough for our multinationals to drain the country of resources, skilled manpower, buy the needed land and also profit of the population of the said country by selling our lewises, channels, coca colas, volkswagens etc
By One Degree
JohnRawls wrote:Don't make me laugh. Both EU and the US are imperialists that colonize.(Actually we are the most succesfull colonizers) We just don't colonize in the same way as we used to. Opening the markets, installing a pro-Nato regime is more than enough for our multinationals to drain the country of resources, skilled manpower, buy the needed land and also profit of the population of the said country by selling our lewises, channels, coca colas, volkswagens etc

I am aware of that. That is actually a result of acting as a third party for the colonization of globalists, not US colonization. We are not acting in the interest of the people of the US.
By JohnRawls
One Degree wrote:I am aware of that. That is actually a result of acting as a third party for the colonization of globalists, not US colonization. We are not acting in the interest of the people of the US.

Imperialism never acted in the interest of the people in the first place. Slave trade benefitted slave owners/sellers and not the people.(Aristocracy or wealthy individuals) Also you can't say that this is not European/US colonialism. Who do you think those companies belong to? Not Europeans? Not Americans? This is a very naive understanding of the situation.

Slave trade actually brought the wages down in the classical sense of capitalism.
By One Degree
JohnRawls wrote:Imperialism never acted in the interest of the people in the first place. Slave trade benefitted slave owners/sellers and not the people.(Aristocracy or wealthy individuals) Also you can't say that this is not European/US colonialism. Who do you think those companies belong to? Not Europeans? Not Americans? This is a very naive understanding of the situation.

Slave trade actually brought the wages down in the classical sense of capitalism.

I would say Manifest Destiny benefitted the people of the US. It is true it mainly benefitted railroad owners, but it also benefitted the people and the country. Our current policy of not annexing simply leaves the people’s and country’s benefit out of it.
By jimjam
“Trump is God’s gift that keeps on giving,” said Vladimir Frolov, a Russian columnist and foreign affairs analyst. “Trump implements Russia’s negative agenda by default, undermining the U.S.–led world order, U.S. alliances, U.S. credibility as a partner and an ally. All of this on his own. Russia can just relax and watch and root for Trump, which Putin does at every TV appearance.”

“Once again we see a president who appears to be acting impulsively and erratically — except when it comes to Russia,” said Leslie Vinjamuri, professor of international relations at SOAS University of London. “Here, Trump has been eerily consistent in his willingness to adopt policies that enable Russia’s strategy while undermining ours.”
By blackjack21
The immediate reason appears to be Trump pulling troops out of Syria. I think Mattis makes some good points. However, the political rhetoric and policy position of globalists is unsustainable. If we are to see China as a strategic adversary, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have included them in the WTO and provide them with Most Favored Nation trading status--something that happened under Bill Clinton and continued under both Bush and Obama. It's a trillion dollar problem. If a court judge admonishes General Flynn because he "sold out your country" and accuses him of potential treason for lobbying on behalf of Turkey--a NATO ally with strategic assets like Incirlik airbase and a key player in the Joint Strike Fighter program--our establishment government officers have simply lost their way. There are simply too many incongruities in our policy to sustain that rhetoric anymore.

I appreciate Mattis' comments on the aid of NATO allies in Afghanistan; however, some of these actors showed how NATO in many respects was a paper tiger. Italian troops in Afghanistan could not participate in combat unless the trooper was directly attacked. That is, if the guy sitting next to you is getting shot at, you don't return fire. You wait until YOU are getting shot at. So they just put Italian troops in the kitchen in support roles. The reality of the situation is that our primary military allies are Britain, Australia and Canada. We got some real aid from others like Poland, but they are not as well integrated. In most other contexts, we can be a help to others, but they generally aren't a help to us. Our "friends" the French and Germans were selling components to make IED triggers to our mutual enemies. Did Mattis somehow forget Hubert Vedrine's comments on American hyperpuissance and its "intolerable" nature? Or de Villepin's lament of democracy?

The post war era is becoming increasingly illusory. What does it mean to be an American? What are our values? What does it mean to be British? The EU has very authoritarian tendencies too. They routinely ignore popular will as we see with Brexit and the establishment's attempt to thwart the will of voters; Gillet Jaunes protests throughout France, the EU saying that Hungary is defying "democratic values" for not allowing Hungary to be flooded with non-assimilating migrants, holding referendum after referendum to get the result they want and then trying to prevent further referendums, etc.

After WWI, America cut off immigration for 45 years. There is no way we could have won WWII without that AND internment policies. If the US ended up in a war with a Spanish speaking power, we would have a very serious problem on our hands. Europe has that problem projecting power in Muslim countries. European authorities do not see the fiasco that will transpire if order breaks down. They think they are creating a new multiracial world. They are not. They are balkanizing the world, and the result will likely not be any better than in the Balkans.

I hold James Mattis in high regard, but the America he grew up in no longer exists.

Rugoz wrote:Fucking over the Kurds, America's main ally in the fight against ISIS, must be Trump's dumbest foreign policy decision yet. I would have resigned too.

The Kurds are fucked, because they are not united themselves and they are an ethnicity in Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran. Obama's Syria policy was a humanitarian disaster of Biblical proportions. Trump's has been much more effective.

Mattis is a brilliant man. Trump is losing a valuable SecDef. Yet, the establishment decided to start the war in Iraq and not provide the American people with the actual reason why they did it. As a result, there is no foundational reason to support the wars and people are now war weary and understandably so. I said back in those days of the US establishment as a whole that my biggest concern about them--this is when I was a Bush supporter--is that they saw lying and deception as a strategy and not a tactic. This is why their Olympian dreams of globalism are crashing down on them now. They simply do not have any credibility left.

One Degree wrote:America’s foreign policy has been dumb for a very long time. We are imperialist who don’t colonize. It is a contradiction doomed to failure.

Marxist semantics also didn't get a much needed update after the 20th Century collapse of 19th Century empires. American commercial expansionism and trade is not imperialism in a classical sense, so using a word that doesn't make sense only erodes credibility much the same way calling people "racist" no longer has any power as the term "racist" doesn't mean anything anymore.

One Degree wrote:It is exemplified in those criticizing America as imperialist while criticizing Trump for not being imperialist.

I still think the idea we should undermine the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi is remarkably daft. It's at times like this I sort of miss Rei Murasame's input, as she was not a fan of the moralistic foreign policy, which quite frankly has no legs to stand on anymore and should be abandoned altogether for sheer pragmatic realpolitik.

JohnRawls wrote:Both EU and the US are imperialists that colonize. (Actually we are the most successful colonizers) We just don't colonize in the same way as we used to.

What was your first clue? Flooding the US and Europe with uneducated people who don't share your cultural values and language and don't have the education to participate in the economy as structured?

JohnRawls wrote:Imperialism never acted in the interest of the people in the first place.

It raised the standard of living of the imperialist's home population by leaps and bounds. That was as true for Rome as it was for the British Empire. When the trading powers no longer care about the masses of the imperialist's home population, the political foundation that enables their globe trotting becomes tenuous and unstable.

I still find it very surprising that people bash Trump for cutting corporate tax rates so that they are in line with the rest of the world as a tax cut for the rich, while bashing him for raising tariffs which is a tax on labor arbitrageurs--the most vicious of the traders whose activities have done quite a lot to keep downward pressure on wages of working class people in the imperial capitols.

foxdemon wrote:To those in the know, this isn’t surprising. However, given Kelly also recently left, it does have significant implications for US military preparation and foriegn policy. Now neocons such as John Bolton and Mike Pompeo, will have a free hand in determining strategy. We can expect the hawk solution to be chosen by default.

What are the implications for these new circumstances?

That's an interesting question. They haven't started any new wars, and so far Pompeo and Bolton have stayed on.

jimjam wrote:“Trump is God’s gift that keeps on giving,” said Vladimir Frolov, a Russian columnist and foreign affairs analyst. “Trump implements Russia’s negative agenda by default, undermining the U.S.–led world order, U.S. alliances, U.S. credibility as a partner and an ally. All of this on his own. Russia can just relax and watch and root for Trump, which Putin does at every TV appearance.”

I'm sure he got a little Hillary Clinton payola for that article. After all, taking Crimea without firing a shot was considerably more interesting to Russian geostrategists as anyone with half a brain can figure out with little trouble.

jimjam wrote:“Once again we see a president who appears to be acting impulsively and erratically — except when it comes to Russia,” said Leslie Vinjamuri, professor of international relations at SOAS University of London. “Here, Trump has been eerily consistent in his willingness to adopt policies that enable Russia’s strategy while undermining ours.”

While we sell uranium to Russians and run trillions in deficits with China? The establishment cannot sell its lies anymore. That's why they are in the predicament they are in. Trump pointing out "Fake News" is just him parroting what everyone else already thinks. It's not thought leadership. It's mirroring the public.
By Rich
JohnRawls wrote:Slave trade actually brought the wages down in the classical sense of capitalism.

Not so in 17th Century North America. Exploitation of African slaves gave many opportunities for poor settlers to advance in North America. Also the West Indian sugar industry was vitally important to the development of the early New England economy, supplying food, crops, timber, shipping and other goods and services.
By foxdemon
Here’s an article from August that presents a good case that a ISIS is a lot stronger than we thought.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/isis-makes-a-comebackas-trump-opts-to-stay-in-syria

As @blackjack21 points out, Pompeo and Bolton haven’t started any wars yet. For these guys, that is unusual. So what are they up to?

Here’s my guess: by pulling out of Syria and Afghanistan, the way is open for an ISIS and Taliban come back. This will be a big problem for Russia, Iran and China.

ISIS in Syria and Iraq cuts Iran off from Hezbolla, and thus protects Israel. It also gets Russia bogged down. And it gives Saudi Arabia more influence. Abandoning the Kurds to their fate means the US can patch up relations with Turkey.

A Taliban/ISIS comeback in Afghanistan creates more problems for Iran and Russia. It will lead to a deterioration of security in Central Asia, right along China’s overland trade routes. It will destabilise Pakistan, increasing resistance to China’s economic corridor, in the form of more anti Chinese terror attacks. Finally, the Uighur will get more support from radical Islam, possibly taking the global insurgency deep into China in earnest.

So, a strategy sort of like backing the Mujahideen in the 1980’s but on a scale orders of magnitude greater. Does anyone think I am right in my guess of what the neocons are up to?
By Rich
Its time to recognise that the Muslims are the problem not the solution. 9/11 was totally caused by Saudi and Pakistan. 15 of the 19 hijackers flew directly out of Saudi Arabia. Without the lax border policy to Saudi Arabia 9/11 would not have been possible. The West had a mental breakdown over 9/11. It entered this delusional fantasy world where Islam was religion of peace. To sustain this fantasy required us to go around the world saving all these moderate Muslims from these terrorists that had nothing to do with Islam. We had to give more aid to Saudi and Pakistan as if in this Alice in Wonderland world these people were the solution not the problem.

Our alliance with Saudi and Pakistan might have been useful in our conflicts with Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Imperial Japan and the Soviet Union, but once the Soviet Union collapsed, it served no purpose.
By One Degree
I have had similar thoughts. I would even include the EU in the scenario. Basically removing the US troops forces them to strain their relationships also. China, Russia, and the EU with a war zone in the middle with no US will break up the current economic alliance that can be used against the US. Basically a strategic move against globalism.
What will the remaining powers do about it? Will Europe intervene without the US?

Of course, this is based upon the thin possibility we are thinking strategically rather than just planning for the next election.
By foxdemon
Rich wrote:Its time to recognise that the Muslims are the problem not the solution. 9/11 was totally caused by Saudi and Pakistan. 15 of the 19 hijackers flew directly out of Saudi Arabia. Without the lax border policy to Saudi Arabia 9/11 would not have been possible. The West had a mental breakdown over 9/11. It entered this delusional fantasy world where Islam was religion of peace. To sustain this fantasy required us to go around the world saving all these moderate Muslims from these terrorists that had nothing to do with Islam. We had to give more aid to Saudi and Pakistan as if in this Alice in Wonderland world these people were the solution not the problem.

Our alliance with Saudi and Pakistan might have been useful in our conflicts with Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Imperial Japan and the Soviet Union, but once the Soviet Union collapsed, it served no purpose.

Certainly, there will be significant blowback. Particularly for Europe, since they let too many Muslims move in.

One Degree wrote:I have had similar thoughts. I would even include the EU in the scenario. Basically removing the US troops forces them to strain their relationships also. China, Russia, and the EU with a war zone in the middle with no US will break up the current economic alliance that can be used against the US. Basically a strategic move against globalism.
What will the remaining powers do about it? Will Europe intervene without the US?

Of course, this is based upon the thin possibility we are thinking strategically rather than just planning for the next election.

The thing is America and the close allies have been doing all the work, as far as external powers go. Meanwhile, Iran, Russia and China have been benefiting from the resulting stability. Yet ISIS is a much greater threat to them due to their proximity to Central Asia.

These countries should have recognised the global public service the US has been performing for their benefit. Maybe Trump is right when he says the US is getting ripped off?

Since it is much more important to Russia, Iran and China to keep the forces of the Caliphate down, and maintain security for their various economic activities and their internal territory, then they should be the ones send their soilders to die and paying the bill for the war.

Right?
By One Degree
foxdemon wrote:Certainly, there will be significant blowback. Particularly for Europe, since they let too many Muslims move in.

The thing is America and the close allies have been doing all the work, as far as external powers go. Meanwhile, Iran, Russia and China have been benefiting from the resulting stability. Yet ISIS is a much greater threat to them due to their proximity to Central Asia.

These countries should have recognised the global public service the US has been performing for their benefit. Maybe Trump is right when he says the US is getting ripped off?

Since it is much more important to Russia, Iran and China to keep the forces of the Caliphate down, and maintain security for their various economic activities and their internal territory, then they should be the ones send their soilders to die and paying the bill for the war.

Right?

Right. The curious part is how does Russia or China do anything without causing conflict with the other? I can’t imagine them working together for long. I really can’t see much downside for the US withdrawing from the area.
By Verv
colliric wrote:https://www.timesofisrael.com/mattis-said-to-cancel-trip-to-israel-following-resignation/

Glad he's gone.

Trump doesn't have to tow Israel's line if he doesn't want to. America doesn't have to fight wars for Israel all the time if it doesn't want to. Russia will do fine in Syria on their own.

I do agree, but I fear that the Israel lobby is much, much bigger than just Mattis, right. he is just one figure.

I have even heard it said that AIPAC was instrumental in sinking Pres. Bush I.

I suspect that Pres. Trump will be very careful with what he does about Israel and cannot be very explicit. He is already walking a very fine line and has the elites of the country totally united against him.
By Kaiserschmarrn
Those who support interventions must start to make a coherent case. What's the objective, how can it be achieved and roughly in what time frame? And even more important for Americans perhaps, what are the vital US interests that necessitate the intervention? The main problem to my mind is that whatever is put forward is usually vague and nebulous as well as denying or skirting some truths that might be unpalatable. It's mostly the nature of the argument that leads to many in the general population questioning the wisdom of the interventionists. The right is seeing the start of a resurgence of non-interventionism, and those who think this is a bad idea need to put together an argument that doesn't predominantly rely on platitudes.

blackjack21 wrote:I appreciate Mattis' comments on the aid of NATO allies in Afghanistan; however, some of these actors showed how NATO in many respects was a paper tiger. Italian troops in Afghanistan could not participate in combat unless the trooper was directly attacked. That is, if the guy sitting next to you is getting shot at, you don't return fire. You wait until YOU are getting shot at. So they just put Italian troops in the kitchen in support roles. The reality of the situation is that our primary military allies are Britain, Australia and Canada.

Germans are not allowed to do much either. German troops are by and large competent, but their RoE are so restrictive they can become useless fast, and that was often the case even in a much less hostile theater like Bosnia.

The Brits have a different problem in that they are being dragged through the courts years or decades after the actual conflict (which can be attributed to human rights legislation and its interpretation by the ECHR together with an absence of political will in Britain to counteract it).
By blackjack21
foxdemon wrote:Here’s an article from August that presents a good case that a ISIS is a lot stronger than we thought.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... y-in-syria

The article is interesting, but it doesn't address a number of things that I think makes the thesis come up short. Dump the mainstream psycho-babble and consider Trump's negotiator psychology. If ISIS is strong and Trump is pulling out, that would be tantamount to retreat. That strikes me as antithetical to Trump's psychology--except for when he files bankruptcy in business, in which he fucks someone else over, not himself. Many of my remarks in this thread re-iterate what I've been saying the last few years--namely, that the establishment has lost credibility. They say we've destroyed ISIS. "Okay, so we can bring troops home and secure our own borders now." "Not so fast Mr. President...", and the bullshit starts flowing. Trump calls them on it.

The New Yorker wrote:ISIS may already have numbers sufficient to rebuild. Two stunning reports this month—by the United Nations and Trump’s own Defense Department—both contradict earlier U.S. claims that most isis fighters had been eliminated. The Sunni jihadi movement still has between twenty thousand and thirty thousand members on the loose in Iraq and Syria, including “thousands of active foreign terrorist fighters,” the U.N. said, despite the fall of its nominal capital, Raqqa, last October. The Pentagon report is more alarming: isis has fourteen thousand fighters—not just members—in Syria, with up to seventeen thousand in Iraq.

Earlier US claims? From where? Basically, the same CIA/DOD folks that are now claiming otherwise. See, when the permanent bureaucracy decides it wants to oust the US president, after awhile the president stops trusting the permanent bureaucracy. Either they were lying to him if they claimed they had defeated ISIS, or they are lying to him now. Which is it?

The New Yorker wrote:So the Trump Administration has reversed course; it is now keeping U.S. troops in Syria indefinitely. “We’re remaining in Syria,” Brett McGurk, the Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter isis, told reporters on August 17th. “The focus is the enduring defeat of isis. We still have not launched the final phase to defeat the physical caliphate. That is actually being prepared now, and that will come at a time of our choosing, but it is coming.”

See? There is plenty of bullshit coming from the establishment itself, and Trump appears to be calling them on it. Was this article intended to sell Trump on his administration reversing course? Did the establishment think they had reversed Trump's position?

The New Yorker wrote:The U.S. intelligence community is deeply divided, however, over the scope of the isis threat—and even the numbers put out in the Pentagon report.

Perhaps, but there is another issue: ISIS arose, because Obama had the temerity to try to use Al Qaeda affiliates to funnel untraceable weapons to the Free Syrian Army in his own flavor of "regime change" in Syria after his "regime change" in Libya. Obviously, this decision was one of his administration's cocaine-induced manias where it was an epicly stupid idea, but the euphoric effects of the drug convinced them all that it was a genius plan. It not only led to ambassador Stevens getting killed in Libya, but it created the largest humanitarian crisis since WWII emanating from Syria. Once, Trump ended these bizarre lines of aid and attacked ISIS directly, they either retreated or crumbled--and so did Obama's far weirder "regime change" rationale than even George Bush's strained rationales for pre-emptive war.

The New Yorker wrote:“The Iraqi military and the P.M.F. are the daytime armies,” Michael Knights, an expert on extremism who spent six years in Iraq and is now a fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, told me. “They can’t go out at night and do ambushes. They don’t have the overhead surveillance. They can’t do what we do.” As a result, isis has free rein in areas north of Baghdad, including the rural outskirts of Kirkuk, Diyala Province, and in western Anbar Province.

That sounds like the area. A friend from Afghanistan I haven't spoke to in ages--I assume he works for the government now--used to say, "the government comes by day; the Taliban comes by night." Making sure that ISIS doesn't control oil resources is strategic. The rest of it seems like we can play more of a waiting game. However, the Iraqi army has to fight. They have the same problem I do with America now. What exactly are they fighting for? Gay marriage? The rights of illegal aliens to break the law? Gynecology coverage for men? What exactly is Iraq? What does it stand for? The Iraqi army provides a paycheck and steady meals. Would you want to die for the abstraction that is Iraq though?

The New Yorker wrote:The Iraqi government and General Mattis can tell you Iraq is liberated, but if isis can walk into your village and kill the most important person, have you really liberated it?” Knights added that “the qualitative attack is a more important indicator of isis’s strength than numbers of fighters. You can kill one man with one bullet, but you’ve intimidated two thousand. That’s how isis did it last time. In 2014, the Iraqi Security Forces failed to protect villages. So people were forced to either join isis or get out of their way.”

To my way of thinking, this isn't really that complicated a problem. The West simply has to give up on the vanity of the Geneva conventions and declare ISIS members outlaws such that any person can kill a member of ISIS for any reason or no reason at all and not suffer any recourse from the law. Hell, you would have hunters from all over the world pouring in just like ISIS fighters from all over the world just so they could mount some ISIS fighter's head over their fireplace, point to it, look at their friends and say, "What a trophy!" Hell, if they just coordinated ISIS killing tours, they could turn the war into a profitable business. They just haven't gotten to the point of wanting to meet savagery with savagery.

The New Yorker wrote:The Trump Administration also does not want to withdraw U.S. troops, Mattis said, until a peace process is under way to end the war in Syria and map the country’s political future.

I'm guessing that's been a deal breaker too. They are still pushing the Clinton-Bush doctrine of "regime change." By what right do we have authority to change the government of Syria? We don't have a UN resolution for that. This is what the establishment wanted, not Trump. They hoped he would acquiesce, and he hasn't.

foxdemon wrote:As @blackjack21 points out, Pompeo and Bolton haven’t started any wars yet. For these guys, that is unusual. So what are they up to?

Here’s my guess: by pulling out of Syria and Afghanistan, the way is open for an ISIS and Taliban come back. This will be a big problem for Russia, Iran and China.

That's an excellent question. A more trenchant question is "What is Trump up to?"

When Iraq handed oil concession to China and anyone but the United States, it became clear to me that the Iraq War would not be profitable. Obama does get the blame for not negotiating a SOFA agreement and pulling out troops and not maintaining daily contact with al-Maliki's government. However, Iraq basically slit its own throat in the process, too. So we cannot lay all of the blame on Obama alone. Providing stability in the region--other than keeping oil resources out of ISIS hands--isn't really in the US's strategic best interest in my opinion unless the US is paid to do it. Obviously, private oil companies would disagree with me.

foxdemon wrote:ISIS in Syria and Iraq cuts Iran off from Hezbolla, and thus protects Israel. It also gets Russia bogged down. And it gives Saudi Arabia more influence. Abandoning the Kurds to their fate means the US can patch up relations with Turkey.

That's true too. It also means something else. Check out this cat's theory:

The Hi-Tech Traditionalist: Is America’s Military Loyal To Its Commander In Chief?

In America, the drive for constitutional restoration began with the Tea Party movement and culminated with the unlikely election of President Trump a decade or so later. Things move a bit faster in our hyper-connected age. Trump, a pragmatist used to cutting deals with both types of mafia: the one with .gov email addresses and the one with baseball bats in the trunk, was an unlikely revolutionary. His first instinct was to cut a deal with the establishment.

This guy is speaking my language. Remember early on when I said Trump should have fired any political appointee that was a holdover from Obama? Flynn is getting hung by Sally Yates and Bob Mueller as a result of playing it nice. Hillary Clinton is dead to rights, but they won't touch her. It's clear that there is more going on behind the scenes, but the establishment fails to understand that it has lost credibility at home and abroad. They seem truly deluded, still convinced of their own superiority, and still dumbfounded that they were beaten by a guy with no prior experience holding political office.

On the transformative issue of immigration, however, the deal fell apart. The establishment, all three parts of it, Democrats, Republicans, and the Civil Service was simply unwilling to give an inch; their commitment to open border migration, something entirely different from legally controlled immigration, [b]proved to be absolute.

Indeed, and it is not something the American people want. So the government (establishment) is hostile to the will of the people. This is also a problem in Europe. While Trump dethroned the establishment candidates in the US, the establishment is still hanging on for dear life in the UK, France and Germany. Even Spain's VOX party is growing like wildfire.

Trump acquiesced to losing the House with nary a fight, he played nice with the ridiculous Mueller “investigation”, hoping that the Democrats, having taken over the House, having restored some of the “face” they had lost in 2016, having regained a seat at the table, would move an inch, a millimeter, towards the expressed wishes of sixty-two million American voters. It didn’t happen. We may never know if Trump had ever thought that this policy of his had a chance, but he sure as heck gave it a try. It failed. So now it is time for Plan B: a war of annihilation. Trump’s only remaining choice is to annihilate the American Establishment

Trump has to gear up for re-election now. He succeeded mightily in regulatory reform, tax reform (which has cost him some support from the upper middle class), and in judicial appointments. Indeed, his presidency has been a lodestone for preserving conservatism. However, other than a repeal of the ObamaCare mandate, he failed to deliver on a full repeal of ObamaCare because of establishment Republicans. He is now exposing them on securing the border, too--and he should. Trump cannot be about what's good for the Republican party now. He has to be about what is good for Trump in 2020.

Trump’s only remaining choice is to annihilate the American Establishment and in order to do so he needs what all warlords do: an army. But does he have one? That is the big unanswered question of the day. I believe there can be little doubt that the firing of John Kelly and James Mattis, both Marine Corps generals, was done after they gave a negative answer to a simple question Trump had asked them: “are you willing to execute my order to deploy the full might of the American military, using all necessary means, to secure the Mexican border against all intruders?” Kelly’s and Mattis’s refusal to carry out this order on the grounds of its purported illegality, left them no choice but to resign and left Trump with no choice but to fire them. Trump’s recall of the American military from the Middle East is the action of a Commander In Chief who believes his country to be under attack on the homeland itself and thus in no position to project its military might abroad in support of foreign policy or humanitarian objectives.

The establishment's values are not the values of the American people. That is becoming clearer and clearer. It's also the same phenomenon in the UK, France and Germany as they continue to thwart the will of their populations. Meanwhile, populism is running rampant in Europe.

Trump will test to the fullest the unlimited powers given him by the Constitution to command the American military forces as their Commander In Chief. To do so, he will dismiss from service any officer, any cabinet member, any staffer who opposes his order to secure the Mexican border. Will he find any who are willing to carry out his orders, even in defiance of both Congress and the Judiciary, the two branches of government that for many decades had been unconstitutionally usurping the powers of the Executive?

This is a great question. At any rate, he is scuttling the plans of the establishment in the Middle East and has now seen the light that there is no negotiating with these people. They have read his book. They are calling him out, and he's doing the same.

One things is clear, however: if a properly elected Commander In Chief cannot order his military to secure the country’s borders against invasion, America as an independent political entity in which the people are sovereign via a system of carefully crafted checks and balances in a constitutionally established federal structure of governance is finished.

Right. And if that is the case, nobody owes it allegiance anymore.

What do you think? Is Trump going to call the bluff of Congress and the courts and use his plenary and exclusive Article II powers to secure the border?

Does the establishment think that inverting the yield curve will throw the economy into recession and get voters to reject Trump? Are they risking greater political instability in Europe with Merkel, May and Macron assuming political walking-dead zombie status? We haven't seen so many establishment figures on the ropes all at once in awhile. Like maybe 1963 when Adenaur and Macmillan went down, and Kennedy got shot in the head; Qassem's regime in Iraq collapsed.

foxdemon wrote:A Taliban/ISIS comeback in Afghanistan creates more problems for Iran and Russia. It will lead to a deterioration of security in Central Asia, right along China’s overland trade routes.

That's what killed the route begun by the likes of Marco Polo and forced trade to sea--leading eventually to the discovery of America.

foxdemon wrote:Does anyone think I am right in my guess of what the neocons are up to?

I think it is quite possible. I argued back in the early 2000s that if an anti-American alliance arose that we could not promote peace and stability. We would have to let factions go back to war again. At any rate, it's nice to have a conversation that isn't just gutter sniping at Trump.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:And even more important for Americans perhaps, what are the vital US interests that necessitate the intervention? The main problem to my mind is that whatever is put forward is usually vague and nebulous as well as denying or skirting some truths that might be unpalatable.

I think that is where they find themselves. They cannot tell the truth at the very time when nobody trusts them to do anything but lie.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The right is seeing the start of a resurgence of non-interventionism, and those who think this is a bad idea need to put together an argument that doesn't predominantly rely on platitudes.

I think they are also seeing that integrating with the third world is not in the first world's best interest. It would be better to have a French Revolution of sorts and deal harshly with the establishment.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Germans are not allowed to do much either. German troops are by and large competent, but their RoE are so restrictive they can become useless fast, and that was often the case even in a much less hostile theater like Bosnia.

Right, and it makes the alliance look quite ridiculous at times.

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

It is boring to have this discussion be about how[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]