Putting two and two together and getting ... what? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
President of the United States of America Donald Trump is on record for a number of interesting statements. There's those which deal with Mexico paying for 'the wall', for example. There are two more which are worthy of our attention.

The first is his 'ownership' of the present partial shutdown of the federal government of the United States of America in order to get taxpayer dollars for 'the wall'. The second is his statement that he can declare a national emergency and go about building 'the wall' without the need to deal with the Congress of the United States of America.

These lead to a question or two.

Question the first. Why, if it is not necessary to shut down part of the federal government in order to build 'the wall', has President Trump not already done so?

Question the second. Given the probability that some Americans may be hurt financially by the un-necessary shutdown, what does President of the United States of America Donald Trump see as an offsetting benefit?

Is a puzzlement.
Torus34 wrote:President of the United States of America Donald Trump is on record for a number of interesting statements. There's those which deal with Mexico paying for 'the wall', for example. There are two more which are worthy of our attention.

The first is his 'ownership' of the present partial shutdown of the federal government of the United States of America in order to get taxpayer dollars for 'the wall'. The second is his statement that he can declare a national emergency and go about building 'the wall' without the need to deal with the Congress of the United States of America.

These lead to a question or two.

Question the first. Why, if it is not necessary to shut down part of the federal government in order to build 'the wall', has President Trump not already done so?

Question the second. Given the probability that some Americans may be hurt financially by the un-necessary shutdown, what does President of the United States of America Donald Trump see as an offsetting benefit?

Is a puzzlement.

Trump already answered the first question. He wanted to give Democrats a chance to do the right thing. Their current stance is a contradiction to their historical stance.
The answer to the second is that the ‘path to a better future’ overrides immediate discomfort. Something many don’t understand today in the ‘me first’ generations.
One Degree;

Thank you for taking time to post such a well-reasoned response. It says something about the President of the United States of America Donald Trump that he would shut down part of the federal government and create financial hardship for thousands of American citizens, Ed.: Perhaps for a year or more, if we are to believe his recent statements,] in order 'to give the Democrats a chance to do the right thing.', as you wrote.

Such magnanimity is greatly to be admired, wouldn't you say?

Regards, and a great new year for you and yours.
Torus34 wrote:One Degree;

Thank you for taking time to post such a well-reasoned response. It says something about the President of the United States of America Donald Trump that he would shut down part of the federal government and create financial hardship for thousands of American citizens, Ed.: Perhaps for a year or more, if we are to believe his recent statements,] in order 'to give the Democrats a chance to do the right thing.', as you wrote.

Such magnanimity is greatly to be admired, wouldn't you say?

Regards, and a great new year for you and yours.

You start a thread asking two questions. I responded to both. You then respond by ignoring my answers. What was the point of creating the thread if you had no intention of discussion?
I pointed out long term versus short term priorities. Making all decisions based upon the short term is a good way to destroy a society. Trump believes the long term good outweighs the short term harm. This is a legitimate position for him to hold as President.
@One Degree;

Sir, you misunderstood me. I did not find anything in your responses to argue about. In fact, I was impressed that President Trump, as you specifically noted, would give the Democrats in the Congress of the United States of America such a wonderful opportunity to mend their ways, even if providing that chance resulted in hardship for a number Americans, whether Republican, Democrat or other.

Such deep concern for the other political party by the Republican President of the United States of America Donald Trump is truly awe-inspiring. It will certainly go a long way toward making America great again.

Again, thank you for setting my thoughts on the right track.

Regards.
Torus34 wrote:@One Degree;

Sir, you misunderstood me. I did not find anything in your responses to argue about. In fact, I was impressed that President Trump, as you specifically noted, would give the Democrats in the Congress of the United States of America such a wonderful opportunity to mend their ways, even if providing that chance resulted in hardship for a number Americans, whether Republican, Democrat or other.

Such deep concern for the other political party by the Republican President of the United States of America Donald Trump is truly awe-inspiring. It will certainly go a long way toward making America great again.

Again, thank you for setting my thoughts on the right track.

Regards.

I assumed your posts were sarcasm. I see you are in your 90’s so if it is sarcasm, good for you. If not, then I apologize for taking them as such. :)
Sir, sarcasm? Me? An old decrepit country mouse? What ever gave you that idea?

Please note that I've only referred to the statements of President of the United States Donald Trump and your own explanation of them, correctly quoted.

I've agreed with you and complimented you.

And you suspect me of sarcasm? Our comments are a matter of record which others can read and interpret as they wish.

Regards, and sleep well.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would […]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]