Election 2020 - Page 60 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Godstud
blackjack21 wrote:I'm not sure how good you are at math, but the lower the denominator the higher the quotient. It's an excellent way to arrive at a political majority.
Tell that to the originator of that quote, Stephen Hawking! :lol: I suppose you can tell me how poor he was at math, Donut!

Asked if his knowledge of the universe meant he could explain the popular appeal of billionaire Mr Trump, he told ITV’s Good Morning Britain: “I can’t... He is a demagogue, who seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator.”
By blackjack21
Godstud wrote:I suppose you can tell me how poor he was at math, Donut!

He was good at math, but he sucked at democracy.
By Patrickov
Populism aims at the "lowest common denominator", which undoubtedly yields the best results. However, it becomes a problem when the populist ONLY satisfies their basic needs, instead of trying to improve them so as to make the community better as a whole.

Admittedly the Chinese Communist Party did this very well, but when crisis arises even those lowest in intelligence or integrity would see how bad this appeal (without any real improvement) is.
By late
blackjack21 wrote:
He was good at math, but he sucked at democracy.

You keep babbling about things you know nothing about.
late wrote:
You keep babbling about things you know nothing about.

For people so ingrained of their beliefs (IIRC the Religious One is in his later years already), there is no use keep rebuffing them. In some cases, it makes the rebuffer look like at a similar level, and bystanders may believe that his side is no better than the side he criticises so much.
By late
Patrickov wrote:
For people so ingrained of their beliefs (IIRC the Religious One is in his later years already), there is no use keep rebuffing them. In some cases, it makes the rebuffer look like at a similar level, and bystanders may believe that his side is no better than the side he criticises so much.

I agree, in this instance, I should have simply posted examples of Hawking's thinking.

Frankly, getting that crass pisses me off.
By blackjack21
late wrote:You keep babbling about things you know nothing about.

Hawking was pro-Labour and anti-Brexit. His political views were vanquished in the last election. Now he's dead. These things I know for sure.
By late
blackjack21 wrote:
Hawking was pro-Labour and anti-Brexit. His political views were vanquished in the last election. Now he's dead. These things I know for sure.

There is going to be a lot of crow served when Brexit finally happens.
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:Snooze... Appeals to fear aren't working anymore. It's almost cliche nowadays. FoxNews Alert! Crisis!

I and most of the world now consider the global warming "debate" over. The "deniers" look increasingly foolish and rabid with each passing day. They are to be ignored while the rest of us get on with the almost hopeless job of battling the fossil fuel lobby and their army of wholly owned politicians.
By jimjam
One thing many people forget about the 2016 election is that as a candidate, Donald Trump promised to be a different kind of Republican. Unlike the mainstream of his party, he declared, he would raise taxes on the rich and wouldn’t cut programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid that ordinary Americans rely on. At the same time, he would invest large sums in rebuilding America’s infrastructure.

He was lying.

Trump’s only major legislative achievement, the 2017 Tax Cut and Jobs Act, was absolutely standard modern Republicanism: huge tax cuts for corporations, plus tax breaks that overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy.
By blackjack21
jimjam wrote:They are to be ignored while the rest of us get on with the almost hopeless job of battling the fossil fuel lobby and their army of wholly owned politicians.

Ask Emmanuel Macron how that's working out for him... :lol:

jimjam wrote:Trump’s only major legislative achievement, the 2017 Tax Cut and Jobs Act, was absolutely standard modern Republicanism: huge tax cuts for corporations, plus tax breaks that overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy.

The tax law simply brings US corporate tax rates in line with the rest of the world--i.e., an income tax rate of about 25%. The US was at a long-term competitive disadvantage with a 35%+ corporate tax rates. The SALT limits have put a big dent in the upper income people in blue states. Funny that they believe in higher taxes until they actually have to pay them.
By Hindsite
jimjam wrote:One thing many people forget about the 2016 election is that as a candidate, Donald Trump promised to be a different kind of Republican. Unlike the mainstream of his party, he declared, he would raise taxes on the rich and wouldn’t cut programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid that ordinary Americans rely on. At the same time, he would invest large sums in rebuilding America’s infrastructure.

He was lying.

Trump’s only major legislative achievement, the 2017 Tax Cut and Jobs Act, was absolutely standard modern Republicanism: huge tax cuts for corporations, plus tax breaks that overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy.

It does not matter what you say, I am going to vote for him again in 2020.
HalleluYah
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:It does not matter what you say, I am going to vote for him again in 2020.

Fake News

blackjack21 wrote:Ask Emmanuel Macron how that's working out for him...

This guy is a fossil fuel lobbyist and says he's your BFF ……. :lol:

blackjack21 wrote:The tax law simply brings US corporate tax rates in line with the rest of the world

Way cool. Now let's give a hand to non billionaires and get our health care system in line with Mexico's:

A health insurer in Utah is seeking to reduce prescription drug costs by flying state employees to Mexico, where they can collect medications at a fraction of the US cost.

An estimated 2.3 million Americans were evicted from their home in 2016, the latest year of available data, as rent prices around the US continue to rise while affordable housing units disappear and the legal system is weighted towards wealthy landlords, not tenants...…………

Fuck them ……. in Impeached President Trump's words they are "losers".

Last edited by jimjam on 11 Feb 2020 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
By jimjam
Stalin called his cult "Useful Idiots".

By late
blackjack21 wrote:
The tax law simply brings US corporate tax rates in line with the rest of the world--i.e., an income tax rate of about 25%.

Ain't that easy. Once a generation you need to go through the tax code and weed out all the crap. Last time was in the 80s, I think. We are past due for an overhaul.
By blackjack21
jimjam wrote:This guy is a fossil fuel lobbyist and says he's your BFF ……. :lol:

The URI says "fat politician" not fossil fuel lobbyist. So this is just you picking on fat people it seems.

jimjam wrote:A health insurer in Utah is seeking to reduce prescription drug costs by flying state employees to Mexico, where they can collect medications at a fraction of the US cost.

Great. You see? Tariffs really do work! How do you think the drug companies keep prices this high in the United States? Health care is the one venue where the establishment doesn't want free trade and less regulation. There's a reason... and it sure as shit isn't public safety.
By jimjam
In 2018, after he was president, Mr. Trump suggested that police departments in heavily minority cities, like Chicago, ought to use such aggressive tactics. The police in that city should “strongly consider stop-and-frisk,” Mr. Trump said in a speech at the time.

“It works, and it was meant for problems like Chicago,” the president said. The White House declined to comment about Mr. Trump’s tweet or his history of support for the policy.

And today : “WOW, BLOOMBERG IS A TOTAL RACIST!,” the president delivered to his millions of Twitter followers leaked audio from 2015 in which Michael R. Bloomberg, the Democratic presidential hopeful and former New York mayor, offered an unflinching defense of stop-and-frisk policing for which he has since apologized.

You think weak kneed Obese Donald will have the guts to apologize ? :lol:
By Rancid
jimjam wrote:In 2018, after he was president, Mr. Trump suggested that police departments in heavily minority cities, like Chicago, ought to use such aggressive tactics. The police in that city should “strongly consider stop-and-frisk,” Mr. Trump said in a speech at the time.

“It works, and it was meant for problems like Chicago,” the president said. The White House declined to comment about Mr. Trump’s tweet or his history of support for the policy.

And today : “WOW, BLOOMBERG IS A TOTAL RACIST!,” the president delivered to his millions of Twitter followers leaked audio from 2015 in which Michael R. Bloomberg, the Democratic presidential hopeful and former New York mayor, offered an unflinching defense of stop-and-frisk policing for which he has since apologized.

You think weak kneed Obese Donald will have the guts to apologize ? :lol:

Reality doesn't matter to TRump nor his retarded voters.
By jimjam
The Mariner wrote:I'd say he's done more than that:

http://www.magapill.com/?fbclid=IwAR1PCuBpjuBG49jJuss7tFBd5YK9iRiYr12R-ixWb8Z8vZWnhOBs1PvYTaw

Wow! Absolutely stupendous …….. he also repeatedly makes sure the White House windows are bullet proof and warned Americans that Clean energy wind mills cause cancer and has brought much needed attention to the excessive toilet flushing problem in America.

Look sonny, I could no doubt prepare a 500 item list of how Donald helps billionaires get a few more billions while fucking poor Americans in the ass, increased filth and pollution in our air and water, removed health care from a few million poor Americans ….. and, and, and

Supposedly Iran sent information on their attack […]

News to me.. "The analysis shows that dissi[…]

No, just America. And I am not alone . Althoug[…]

This reminds me of a Soviet diplomat who was once[…]