Election 2020 - Page 244 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By blackjack21
SpecialOlympian wrote:Everything to do with the laptop, which has been thoroughly debunked.

It apparently was Hunter Biden's laptop, and the emails and other information are evidently his as well. Since you're not an IT expert, you wouldn't naturally be able to tell if or when the forensic evidence is true. Undoubtedly, one of the few things that they have to do to verify the information is to get an email from Vice President Biden to Hunter; then, verify that the Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) signature is valid. Getting all the media outlets in the country to parrot from the same line will not invalidate DKIM signatures and other methods of verifying the source and contents of emails.

SpecialOlympian wrote:The computer repair guy who supposedly got it appears to have severe mental issues and couldn't give a straight answer to reporters.

That has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of digital signatures.

SpecialOlympian wrote:The rest is just the strongly right leaning Washington Times (the Moonies newspaper) taking shots at Adam Schiff.

If it is indeed Russian disinformation, then it's very likely that Joe Biden is a Russian sleeper agent, because he would have to be letting Russians send emails from his email account. Are you suggesting Biden was hacked by the Russians, and they sent emails to an account that ended up on a laptop that mysteriously came to a repair shop from some other guy named Hunter Biden? His evil twin perhaps?

SpecialOlympian wrote:The second Rudy Giuliani got his stink on it it should have been apparent to everyone that this is Veritas level bullshit.

Veritas will back up the contents of a drive just fine. Why do you think it wouldn't? Generally, a computer repair shop would copy the entire image, not just individual files.

JohnRawls wrote:Trump is surreal: Shit on the top pandemic/infectious expert in the country while a pandemic is raging while at the same time saying nothing is wrong with Qid Pro Quo arrengements for big business as long as they give him money to get re-elected.

It would be nice if you clarify what you're trying to say. Fauci played a lot of political games. Basically, a ton of life long bureaucrats have done so as well.
By colliric

50 Cent endorsed Trump, because he's smart enough to realise Biden's tax plan is going to kill New York's Covid recovery.

Nearly 63% in California. Democrats think NYS, NYC, NJ and CA are their forever bitches....
By Drlee
50 Cent endorsed Trump, because he's smart enough to realise Biden's tax plan is going to kill New York's Covid recovery.
:lol: :lol:

Troll much?

You explain what a tax plan that could not even go into effect for almost two years is going to "kill New York's Covid recovery".

Give me a fucking break.

Really @colliric If you are going to just troll at least do it in such a manner that you don't just look like a blithering idiot.
By Wulfschilde
John if you'd provide some links to actual stories about your accusations it might increase your chances of getting a response from somebody.

As for NY taxes, I imagine that people with money can think two years ahead, or that things planned two years from now will be relevant at some point in the future.

Does anyone (and in this case, anyone basically means @Doug64) know when data like party affiliation becomes available for in-person early voting in Florida?

I was playing with an electoral map the other day and I imagine that Trump can win with either Florida or Wisconsin/PA. Available data suggests that he will take WI but not so sure about PA or FL. It certainly seems possible, like someone said Trump is outperforming his 2016 polls in these places, there is still no reason to be 100% certain of course.
By XogGyux
Drlee wrote::lol: :lol:

Troll much?

You explain what a tax plan that could not even go into effect for almost two years is going to "kill New York's Covid recovery".

Give me a fucking break.

Really @colliric If you are going to just troll at least do it in such a manner that you don't just look like a blithering idiot.

Not to mention, some people don't fucking understand how a progressive tax bracket works. If you make 100k, it does not make an absolute fucking difference if the bracket for those earing 7MIL is 90%.... it really doesnt, you won't get taxed at 90% a single penny... because you don't make enough for it. LOL.
By Doug64
SpecialOlympian wrote:Everything to do with the laptop, which has been thoroughly debunked.

Link, please. To my knowledge the Bidens haven't denied that the emails are real and that the meeting took place. The closest Joe Biden has come is to state that he didn't officially meet with the Burisma rep.

The computer repair guy who supposedly got it appears to have severe mental issues and couldn't give a straight answer to reporters.

Irrelevant when you actually have a hard drive with thousands of emails and who knows how many photos.

The rest is just the strongly right leaning Washington Times (the Moonies newspaper) taking shots at Adam Schiff.

Actually, it's Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe taking shots at Schiff, for making wild claims with zero evidence to back them up. Mind, I don't see why anyone should be surprised about that, he's been on his Russian Conspiracy bender for years leading to Congress fiddling while the CCP lit the Wuhan epidemic fire. I'd just be surprised if by now anyone takes him seriously.

I quoted an article about it a few pages back. The second Rudy Giuliani got his stink on it it should have been apparent to everyone that this is Veritas level bullshit. Rudy is legitimately stupid and is somehow less competent than Veritas, which is a real fucking achievement.

Once again, when you have the actual emails and photos whatever Giuliani is like is irrelevant.

Wulfschilde wrote:Does anyone (and in this case, anyone basically means @Doug64) know when data like party affiliation becomes available for in-person early voting in Florida?

So far as I know, for those states that track voter party affiliation, they know that party that early voters belong to as soon as they receive the votes. Who all the early voters actually voted for won't be tallied until election day, but party membership at least can be tracked.

I recently read that in 2016 Trump outperformed the RCP average of battleground states by four points. Curious, I took a look at how the election would go if it were held today and Trump had the same four point over-performance in all the current battleground states. The result is a Trump victory, 280 to Biden's 258. Trump loses Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, but wins Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Maine CD2.

So, what does the only pollster that in 2016 showed Trump with a lead in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and in 2018 was the only pollster to predict a DeSantis gubernatorial victory in Florida think of the 2020 election?

The Pollster Who Thinks Trump Is Ahead
T he polling aggregator on the website RealClearPolitics shows the margin in polls led by Joe Biden in a blue font and the ones led by Donald Trump in red. For a while, the battleground states have tended to be uniformly blue, except for polls conducted by the Trafalgar Group.

If you are a firm believer only in polling averages, this isn’t particularly meaningful, but if you are familiar with Trafalgar’s successes in 2016, when (unlike other pollsters) it had Trump leading in Michigan and Pennsylvania and, in 2018, Ron DeSantis winning his gubernatorial race, it is notable. Regardless, it’s worth knowing why one pollster is departing from nearly everyone else.

To this end, I checked in with Robert Cahaly, who is predicting a Trump victory, on the latest edition of The Editors podcast. This piece is based on our conversation.

Cahaly was born in Georgia and got involved in politics going door-to-door as a kid. He started a political-consulting firm with some others in the late 1990s. Around 2008, he says, they realized that the polling they were getting wasn’t very good, so they started doing their own. He says they got good, accurate results in the races they were working.

In the 2016 primaries, they started putting out some of their own polls. “Our polls ended up being the best ones in South Carolina and Georgia,” Cahaly says. “So we started studying what it was that made those so different.”

Then there was the breakthrough in the 2016 general election. “We ended up having an incredible year,” he says. “I mean, we got Pennsylvania right. We got Michigan right. We had the best poll in five of the battleground states in 2016. And I actually predicted 306 to 232 on the electoral college. And we went from doing a little bit of polling on the side to that [being] our primary business in about 24 hours. And since then, that’s what we’ve been doing.”

Much of Trafalgar’s approach focuses on accounting for the so-called social-desirability bias. As Cahaly puts it, that’s when a respondent gives you “an answer that is designed to make the person asking the question be less judgmental of the person who answers it.” Cahaly notes that this phenomenon showed up as long ago as the 1980s, in the so-called Bradley effect, when the African-American mayor of Los Angeles, Tom Bradley, underperformed his polling in a gubernatorial race. It has been a hallmark of the Trump era and is one reason other pollsters missed the impending victory of Ron DeSantis over Andrew Gillum in the 2018 Florida gubernatorial race.

“I’ve got to get past what you want to say in public and get to what you really feel,” Cahaly says. “Because what’s in your heart is going to be what’s on that ballot.”

There are a number of methodological differences in how Trafalgar goes about its work.

One is the number of questions on its surveys. “I don’t believe in long questionnaires,” Cahaly says. “I think when you’re calling up Mom or Dad on a school night, and they’re trying to get the kids dinner and get them to bed, and that phone rings at seven o’clock — and they’re supposed to stop what they’re doing and take a 25- to 30-question poll? No way.”

Why does that matter? “You end up disproportionately representing the people who will like to talk about politics, which is going to skew toward the very, very conservative and the very, very liberal and the very, very bored, “Cahaly explains. “And the kind of people that win elections are the people in the middle. So I think they miss people in the middle when they do things that way.”

According to Cahaly, most polls are more than 25 questions. He keeps it between seven and nine, so respondents can answer in a matter of minutes.

Then there is how the questions are asked. “We do not like to do all live calls,” Cahaly says.

This goes back to the social-desirability bias. People with opinions that are unpopular “don’t want to be judged by somebody on the phone that they don’t know.” If this was always true, it’s particularly so now: “They’ve seen all this stuff of people being shamed for their opinion, people losing their jobs.”

So Trafalgar mixes up how it contacts people, and especially wants respondents to feel safe in responding. “We use collection methods of live calls, auto calls, texts, emails, and a couple that we call our proprietary digital technology that we don’t explain, but it’s also digital,” Cahaly says. The point, he continues, is to “really push the anonymous part — this is your anonymous say-so.”

Another factor, is that “conservatives are less likely to participate in polls in general,” he says. “We see a five-to-one refusal rate among conservatives.” That means “you’ve got to work very hard to get a fair representation of conservatives, when you do any kind of a survey.”

Trafalgar also goes about building its list differently. One thing the firm noticed in its polling in the Georgia and South Carolina primary in 2016, Cahaly says, is “people voting who didn’t know how to use the touch machines, people showing up who hadn’t voted in 15 years.”

It went out of its way to build a list including these kinds of low-propensity voters, “knowing,” per Cahaly, “that the other pollsters probably weren’t even reaching out to these people.” The firm has “a fingerprint” of characteristics meant to find these hard-to-identify voters.

Cahaly excoriates pollsters who use exit polls from the previous election to determine the demographics of the current electorate. “Exit polls can give you a sense of how people are voting,” he notes. “But how many people of a certain age, ethnicity, geography turned out? You ain’t got to guess at that. It’s a knowable number. And every single state maintains those statistics.”

He also has no use for relatively small sample sizes. “I think this is important,” he says. “We don’t do a state with less than a thousand. You see these polls, 400, 500, 600 people for a state. I don’t buy that. Your margin of error is far too high.”

Trafalgar tries to avoid so-called weighting to get the partisan mix of respondents right. A traditional pollster might want to get, say, 35 percent Republicans to have a balanced survey, but he comes up short because Republicans are less likely to respond. If only, say, 22 percent of Republicans answer, they are given additional weight to make up for the shortfall.

“The better you do at getting an even sample,” according to Cahaly, “the less weighting you have to do.”

One problem with weighting is that Republicans “who don’t like Trump can’t wait to answer a poll,” he says. “So immediately, within the 22 percent, they’ve probably overrepresented it, the anti-Trump Republicans, the Never Trumper types. Well, when you weight that up from 22 to 35, now you have skewed an already bad representation sample. So that’s kind of inherently how they can be so off.”

As a general matter, he discounts national polls. First, because the race for the presidency is won state by state, not on the basis of the national vote. Second, because all the methodological difficulties involved in getting a balanced, representative sample in a state poll of 1,000 people are magnified in a national survey. “It’s easily skewable at that point,” he says. “You start making assumptions.”

So how does he see the 2020 race? Fundamentally, as a motivation race, rather than a persuasion race, with perhaps 1.5 percent, at most, of the electorate undecided in battleground states.

The likeliest Trump electoral path to victory involves winning the battlegrounds of North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, and either Michigan or Pennsylvania among the former Blue Wall states (assuming he doesn’t lose states such as Iowa or Ohio).

This is Cahaly’s breakdown: He believes Trump will win North Carolina and Florida and discounts Biden’s chances in Georgia because the Republican-base vote is too big there (the same is true in Texas).

As for Arizona, “I think Trump has the lead,” Cahaly says. “I think [Republican senator Martha] McSally has some ground to make up. I see her about five points behind Trump, but I think Trump will probably win the state. And win it by a couple of points or more. And if he wins it big enough, McSally has a shot.”

Trump isn’t there yet in Pennsylvania, according to Cahaly. “Right now, we’ve got him down in Pennsylvania,” he says, “I think if it were held today, the undecided would break toward Trump and there’d be some hidden vote. He’d probably win Pennsylvania. But I’m going to give a caveat on only Pennsylvania. I believe Pennsylvania to be the No. 1 state that Trump could win and have stolen due to voter fraud.”

In Michigan, Trafalgar has Trump ahead. “I think he will win Michigan,” Cahaly says, citing fear of the Democratic economic agenda.

Overall, Cahaly sees another Trump win. “If it all happened right now,” he maintains, “my best guess would be an Electoral College victory in the high to 270s, low 280s.”

There it is. Among pollsters, you heard it from Cahaly first, and perhaps exclusively — a position he’s been in before.
Last edited by Doug64 on 20 Oct 2020 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
By colliric
Drlee wrote:You explain what a tax plan that could not even go into effect for almost two years is going to "kill New York's Covid recovery".

Your country is in massive recession and on the brink of a Great Depression, you need to cut taxes to stimulate long term economic recovery. NYC is going to still be recovering when these taxes go into effect. The Depression lasted 4 years(but the flow-on effects lasted the entire 1930s, at least 10 years and ended in a fucking World War), the GFC lasted 3 years(but some places still hadnt fully recovered and got re-wacked by this one). The ongoing longterm effects of this financial crisis is going to be with us for at least 5-6 years maybe 10 years. We're still in year 1 and everyone knows this is worse than the last one(Certainly for Australia since we successfully avoided recession in '08, government cut taxes and sent out endless stimulus checks taking us into significant government debt instead).

Biden is a fucking idiot. Taxes should be cut to encourage economic development and higher employment, not raised. The government should go further into debt, as much as possible.
By blackjack21
colliric wrote:50 Cent endorsed Trump, because he's smart enough to realise Biden's tax plan is going to kill New York's Covid recovery.

Kanye, Ice Cube, 50 Cent. I think Trump is going to do pretty well among black voters.

I don't think a white antifa guy knocking out a black free speech guy's front teeth is going to win Biden any black votes. They've already arrested the perpetrator and charged him with mayhem and a hate crime enhancement.

colliric wrote:Nearly 63% in California. Democrats think NYS, NYC, NJ and CA are their forever bitches....

I don't think Trump can win California, but he could drive his vote up here and prevent the Democrats from winning the popular vote again. If you saw the streets lined in the OC, and the rally in Beverly Hills, there's a lot more support for Trump here than you might think. People have had enough of Democrats and the lockdowns.

Crazy, huh?

Drlee wrote:Troll much?

Watch what happens with the black vote. If Trump does even 15%, it's over for Biden.

Doug64 wrote:The closest Joe Biden has come is to state that he didn't officially meet with the Burisma rep.

The whole impeachment thing was a huge lie. It's all laid bare. Trump was right.
By Drlee
@colliric Your country is in massive recession and on the brink of a Great Depression, you need to cut taxes to stimulate long term economic recovery.

Why? Actually there is no need. We can just stimulate the economy through the COVID plans. 2 trillion is FAR more than could be raised by any puny income tax cut. So what is your next assertion? By the way, we survived and thrived the last recession without a tax cut. You care to try to use a fact to make your case?
By JohnRawls
@blackjack21 @Wulfschilde

It is kinda fun that Trump does so much shit that even you guys can't keep track. :lol:

“Don't forget, I'm not bad at that stuff anyway, and I'm president. So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know,” Trump said before playing out a conversation.

“How are you doing? How’s energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits?” he said. “When I call the head of Exxon I say, ‘You know, I'd love [for you] to send me $25 million for the campaign.’ ‘Absolutely sir.’”

“I will hit a home run every single call. I would raise a billion dollars in one day if I wanted to. I don't want to do that,” he said.

By Wulfschilde
JohnRawls wrote:@blackjack21 @Wulfschilde

It is kinda fun that Trump does so much shit that even you guys can't keep track. :lol:

He literally said in your quote that he didn't do that?
By JohnRawls
Wulfschilde wrote:He literally said in your quote that he didn't do that?

His whole approach is important here. Most of Trump supporters were implying that he will drain the swamp but his actions in the last couple of years prooves that he IS the swamp and even probably a worse version of it. :roll:
By Rancid
Voted earlier today. I was looking out for fraudsters and illegals. I did not see any.

I will be more vigilant next time and stand next to people that are voting.
Rancid wrote:Voted earlier today. I was looking out for fraudsters and illegals. I did not see any.

I will be more vigilant next time and stand next to people that are voting.

Who you voted for?
By Rancid
Black Consequense wrote:Who you voted for?

None of your business.

There were a lot of state and local elections as well, including the council member for my district and various judges. In Texas, we elect our judges. Kind of weird, but that's how it is here.
Rancid wrote:Voted earlier today. I was looking out for fraudsters and illegals. I did not see any.

Who you voted for?

Oh come on, you don't announce people you voted and not expect people to ask who you voted for. I mean I'll tell you who I'm going to vote by fairness.
By Rancid
Black Consequense wrote:
Oh come on, you don't announce people you voted and not expect people to ask who you voted for. I mean I'll tell you who I'm going to vote by fairness.

No
By maz
Black Consequense wrote:Oh come on, you don't announce people you voted and not expect people to ask who you voted for. I mean I'll tell you who I'm going to vote by fairness.

No one in Texas announces who they voted for unless they have a sign in their yard :lol:

I probably have a good idea who my family votes for but even they wouldn't even tell me if I asked them.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

THere's lots of giddy-ness and support around it.[…]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]