Will Howard Schultz Marginalize the Democrats in 2020? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Red_Army wrote:I should have made it more explicit that Clinton lost the election (even though she won 3 million more votes than Trump because Republican gerrymandering and the electoral college system is undemocratic) because she was a terrible candidate.

The US system isn't inherently undemocratic. Rather, it seeks to address the need for representation of smaller states and less populous polities. Personally, I don't think Clinton won by nearly that much, because voter fraud is so rampant in places like California that it can hardly be called a democracy itself. On the contrary, Trump won 2,626 US counties compared to 487 counties for Hillary Clinton. Dense population centers voted for her, but rural and many suburban areas did not. She did not have anywhere near as widespread support as Trump as evidenced by Trump rallies, versus Clinton rallies.

Red_Army wrote:I was just trying to explain why Trump won the primary and galvanized the hooting morons.

The illegal alien issue was a significant part of it, but I started the "Trump calls it like it is; the establishment can't take it" thread a few days after his announcement when he started talking about trade. That's when it was clear to me that he was going to be around for awhile and a significant voice at the very least. His efforts were speaking directly to blue collar working class voters--usually the bedrock of leftist politics. So it seems odd to me that you refer to the people that typically comprise the left as hooting morons.

Red_Army wrote:The late-term abortion shit might be important to you, but I doubt it matters to most people.

That is generally true in population centers where Hillary Clinton won, except among devout Catholic voters. The mainline protestant denominations do not seem to believe in anything related to Christianity, but rather putting some ecclesiastical polish and an ecumenical applicability to modern social mores mostly emanating out of the Democratic party and media with acquiescence from establishment Republicans. Hence, women pastors preaching that homosexuality is okay to mostly empty churches in once packed Protestant denominations. On the contrary, the mega churches are devout, packed and vote their values. Keep in mind, the real reason the media reacted to the Covington High School boys is that they were Catholic, anti-abortion (their purpose for being in Washington) and Trump supporters. They are not yet voters, but it illustrates the devotion of religious groups to the anti-abortion message. That is why I say those people are already essentially in the bag for Trump. He has to continue to win blue collar voters, where some Democrats seem to want to compete.

Red_Army wrote:Doesn't seem to be an issue with criminalization of bullshit and endless war.

Those are areas again where state-run or state sponsored businesses make money. Some poor black kid in an urban ghetto who violates gun control laws and drug laws ends up in a prison, where prison guards (labor unions; hence Democrat) and the prison industry (private industry, usually Republican) make money on someone who probably won't become a valuable tax payer. Private industry also profits handsomely from a vast military budget. What some Democrats are proposing involves essentially outlawing private insurance businesses, which will likely meet with strong resistance from monied interests and already insured middle class populations.

Schultz's former employees are all working class hourly workers, yet he provided them with private health insurance--unlike McDonald's for example. So he may speak into the listening of blue collar voters, while the Democrats are talking about an absolutely massive healthcare undertaking after having more or less failed with ObamaCare and promoting radical abortion platforms that horrify evangelical and Catholic (including illegal aliens from Central America) voters. They have to be banking on strong antipathy for Trump, while Schultz could act as a voice of reason and split the baby so to speak. We'll see how that plays out.
@blackjack21 you can make baseless value judgments about rural vs. urban communities to justify the overwhelming majority of people (3 million regardless of your accusations of voter fraud) voting democrat. I can't imagine the pissy fit Republicans would throw if they "lost" 2 elections where they won the popular vote. You make the same arguments all of the people who don't support democracy, but want their retrograde policies pushed do to justify the undemocratic nature of our country's electoral politics make. I would have more respect for the argument if you just came out and said you don't think democracy really matters :lol:
Schultz is everything that's wrong with the US oligarchy. Clueless and inept, and believing in absolutely nothing except his right to hoard as much money as possible. He doesn't even have a personality, not even an ugly one like Trump. He has zero chance at anything.

What he does have is enough money to finance his own campaign as long as he chooses. His only purpose for existing is to blackmail the Democratic Party from nominating Sanders, Gabard, or Warren. If Biden or Harris is the nominee, he will quietly end his campaign.

What we have now is a double-bind electoral system. The EC guarantees that only two parties can plausibly compete. Our oligarchy exercises a veto over candidates and policies via the donor system, and the ability to run third party spoilers. Thus we are guaranteed a very narrow range of possible outcomes, ranging from the far right to the center right.
Red_Army wrote:I can't imagine the pissy fit Republicans would throw if they "lost" 2 elections where they won the popular vote.

Probably because they would demonstrate--as they always do--how to lose gracefully. Hence the old saw, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

Red_Army wrote:You make the same arguments all of the people who don't support democracy, but want their retrograde policies pushed do to justify the undemocratic nature of our country's electoral politics make.

I'm not a big fan of mass democracy. That said, the rationale for the system in place was to deal with the already significant problem in the early colonies of big and populous states and small and relatively less populous states. Essentially, the big states would run the show if there weren't an effort to ensure broader support. The system as it is actually enhances stability.

Red_Army wrote:I would have more respect for the argument if you just came out and said you don't think democracy really matters :lol:

I've already said I don't think most people SHOULD be able to vote. I do think we should have a uniform logic test and a poll tax.

quetzlcoatl wrote:Thus we are guaranteed a very narrow range of possible outcomes, ranging from the far right to the center right.

Yet, we still ended up with democratically elected senators, women voting, and graduated income taxes instead of senators representing states, propertied or poll tax paying men voting, and taxes consisting of uniform excises and apportioned capitations. If you think today's flat taxers are regressive, they don't even come close to the founders of this country.
As the Democratic presidential candidates could be characterized as crazy and crazier, Howard Schultz seems to be clinching and jabbing with Trump--agreeing with him on border security, and disagreeing with him on Dreamers. I still think Trump can be beaten, but I don't think the current Democrat line up can do it.

Will we have our first viable independent candidate in a long time? Is Howard Schultz the Democrat Teddy Roosevelt pulling a Bull Moose on them? Bloomberg has already pussed out, so there is only one other viable billionaire: Howard Schultz.
As the Democratic presidential candidates could be characterized as crazy and crazier, Howard Schultz seems to be clinching and jabbing with Trump--agreeing with him on border security, and disagreeing with him on Dreamers. I still think Trump can be beaten, but I don't think the current Democrat line up can do it.

Although I do not agree with your blanket statement on democratic political candidates I do agree that it is looking like they can't beat Trump. Unless the House committees know something they are keeping for an October surprise, or SDNY or the NY AG have something really bad Trump is looking like he has a good chance.

Biden would have beaten Trump walking away even with Schultz running interference for him. Biden is done now because women have blown him in over absolutely nothing. It appears that the leftish wing of the democratic party will insist on a woman and they will loose. As I said in another thread, it does not matter who the dems run the republicans will run against Pelosi and AOC. The dems are heading for a train wreck of Biblical proportions unless they can get Biden or perhaps Beto nominated. (Maybe another white male might do.) It is a sad commentary on our times but the sexist racist vote is a powerhouse. If I had to bet on the race now that the AG has handed Trump a win, I would put real money on a Trump election by better than a squeaker. The republican ads just write themselves.
The DNC primary system doesn't seem to be geared towards who has the best chance of winning the federal election, so California and New York seem to choose their candidate. Kind of like what they want for the country so it's consistent I guess but it will result in retarded primaries and candidates for the DNC until something shocks their system...
Regarding Biden, the double standard between him and those guys in Virginia and Kavanaugh has been amazing. Kavanaugh was coaching girl's basketball for a decade and was obviously clean as a whistle or they wouldn't have chosen him, Biden has countless videos of himself bear hugging and possibly smelling cringing people, and they get treated in the complete opposite ways. The people who think that Biden would be a strong candidate are wrong because the left would not only avoid apologizing for Kavanaugh, they would also do it again mid-election if given a chance.
Drlee wrote:Biden is done now because women have blown him in over absolutely nothing.

It's pretty unbelievable, isn't it?

I was reading this yesterday: Democrats are rushing to repeat their 1972 disaster
Conrad Black wrote:As Nixon recounted to me, when McGovern finished his nomination acceptance speech in Miami, the president turned to his wife and said: “All our time in politics, we have fought the Democrats of Roosevelt, Truman, Stevenson, Jack, Lyndon and Hubert; all substantial and formidable men. How did that great party fall into the hands of such jerks?”

Again, it's still early in the game, but it's sort of mind-boggling what they're doing.

Red_Army wrote:This thread has aged so well. I demand everyone admit I'm right and vote for Bernie.

It's early. It wouldn't surprise me if there is yet another Bernie Sanders take-down in the works. The Biden thing is funny-weird, kind of like Al Franken. Yet, they shouldn't be buckling under stuff like this. It's weird, but it isn't criminal. We just need to stop worrying so much about women feeling uncomfortable, since it seems just about anything sets them off.

Hong Wu wrote:Regarding Biden, the double standard between him and those guys in Virginia and Kavanaugh has been amazing.

Indeed, but I think in that case the establishment wanted us to very quickly forget that governor Northam came out publicly for infanticide. Otherwise, they'd still be talking about it. The fact of the matter is that the governor of Virginia is okay with killing post-partum babies, and so is the Democratic party; yet, dressing up in black face 30+ years ago is a matter to be taken very seriously. I just don't know how the Democrats could get any weirder, but I'm sure we'll see it very soon.
It is as much a double standard as anyone who thinks Trump is not corrupt and hates Hillary Clinton. Real leftists have always hated Biden for his atrocious voting record and have come out decrying his obviously creepy behavior. There are people after all who don't believe Ted Cruz has a basement full of dead children.
blackjack21 wrote:We just need to stop worrying so much about women feeling uncomfortable, since it seems just about anything sets them off.

Getting groped by a weird old creep would set me off. It's not hard to not set women off, just don't paw at their lady parts with your creepy old feelers.
I'm starting to think BJ's attraction to Trump and then Schultz is less about any kind of political acumen and more about being sexually attracted to the dumbest man in any room.

Lmao at anyone who thought Schultz, a man who was conned by a bunch of consultants, was a serious contender. "People of means" lmao.
Red_Army wrote:Real leftists have always hated Biden for his atrocious voting record and have come out decrying his obviously creepy behavior.

He must be fairly dependable for the establishment to like him, because whenever he spouts off on his own he nearly always has something stupid to say and conservatives feel the same way about his voting record as leftists do.

Sivad wrote:It's not hard to not set women off, just don't paw at their lady parts with your creepy old feelers.

Hmm... Sounds like good advice. I'll make a note of that. :smokin:

SpecialOlympian wrote:I'm starting to think BJ's attraction to Trump and then Schultz is less about any kind of political acumen and more about being sexually attracted to the dumbest man in any room.

It couldn't be my proclivity to upset the establishment, after all... :roll: Maybe your political orientation is a latent sexual desire for white women... ever been introspective enough to consider that possibility?

Just think of how much fun you could have shorting Starbucks.

Starbucks braces itself as Howard Schultz mulls 2020 run, prepares for Democratic backlash

Howard Schultz blasts Democrats' 'split the vote' fears, claims support from disaffected Republicans
George F. Will can vote for Howard Schultz. Seriously, now. There were places Trump didn't do well...

Trump carried Kansas by nearly 21 percentage points in 2016, but during last year’s mid-terms, Democrats won the governor’s race and unseated Republican U.S. Rep. Kevin Yoder in a Kansas City-area district where Trump proved to be unpopular. Schultz sees Kansas as in play partly because of Trump’s trade policies, which he criticized strongly.

What I want to see is the Democrats come in third place. I really don't care that much who wins. I care about who loses.

It is worth noting that your definition excludes […]

Again, conspiracy theories about Jewish domina[…]

In 1900, Europe had THREE TIMES the population of […]

@Rancid it's hard to know, we'd need to see how […]