California - America's Cesspool... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The cost of living is high, as it usually is in good places to live. That's got nothing to do with what you say(bullshit insults of immigrants), and your feelings. :lol:

British Columbia, in Canada, is a great place to live, but also has a high coast of living, on the coast. It's abbreviated as BC, which we jokingly refer to as meaning Bring Cash.

Your fear-mongering is just that. :knife:
ingliz wrote:Why?

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Because if you can't afford to buy something for yourself, as is quite often the case with the working poor and health coverage, how is it logical to tax you so someone else can have what you can't afford for yourself?

You should understand when making decisions about a child's health and safety that remaining unvaccinated in a predominantly vaccine-protected community exposes that child to the most severe possible outcomes for many preventable diseases.

You know, I could almost get on board with a plan to vaccinate children who were brought here illegally. Unfortunately, that's not what's being proposed...

The 1986 Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act requires emergency departments, if the associated hospital receives payments from Medicare, to provide appropriate medical examination and emergency treatment to all individuals seeking treatment for a medical condition, regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay.

We're not talking about Medicare...
Godstud wrote:The cost of living is high, as it usually is in good places to live. That's got nothing to do with what you say(bullshit insults of immigrants), and your feelings.

People, even liberals, are leaving California in droves because of how big a cesspool it's become...

British Columbia, in Canada, is a great place to live, but also has a high coast of living, on the coast. It's abbreviated as BC, which we jokingly refer to as meaning Bring Cash.

I've probably seen more of Canada than most Canadians. I love it up there.

I've been to BC many times. It's one of my favorite places. Vancouver Island, especially out near Nanaimo, is stunning. But the cost of living, despite it being much nicer than just about anywhere in California, is lower than just about anywhere in California...
I was responding to the specific part of Steve's post where he talks about the unfairness of taxing American citizens who do not have health insurance to pay for immigrants to have health insurance in so that they may have health insurance. Of course, if California passes legislation that permits BOTH residents of California and immigrants that come to the state to have health insurance who do not have health insurance then I would be (if I were a resident of California) OK with that. But California is not my state, so it's not my business.

Aside from that, the more wealthier areas of California tend to be republican like in southern California for example even though California has a reputation as being a liberal state. Even if you go to a New England state like Vermont where Bernie Sanders comes from, you will find plenty of republicans up there too.

That particular state elected a republican governor not too long ago though he is not as conservative as the republican governors down south. He recently introduced gun control legislation which no republican governor would ever do down south. Based on what I am reading of Steve and his posts, his mentality would fit in great with the politics down south. He should run for public office down here. He would probably get elected. I think Steve would be more at home in the south than he would California.
Politics_Observer wrote:I was responding to the specific part of Steve's post where he talks about the unfairness of taxing American citizens who do not have health insurance to pay for immigrants to have health insurance in so that they may have health insurance. Of course, if California passes legislation that permits BOTH residents of California and immigrants that come to the state to have health insurance who do not have health insurance then I would be (if I were a resident of California) OK with that. But California is not my state, so it's not my business.

The problem is the proposal says nothing about legal residents who can't afford it having it given to them. It's only going to be provided to those who are here illegally. The State's not all to concerned with making sure hard working Americans are taken care of...

That's wrong on every conceivable level...

Aside from that, the more wealthier areas of California tend to be republican like in southern California for example even though California has a reputation as being a liberal state.

San Francisco is one of the wealthiest cities in the country, and is liberal to the extreme...

That particular state elected a republican governor not too long ago though he is not as conservative as the republican governors down south. He recently introduced gun control legislation which no republican governor would ever do down south.

That's because he's a Democrat.

I don't know who you're referring to when you talk about California electing a Republican Governor. California hasn't had a Republican Governor since Schwarzenegger left office in 2011. The current Governor is Gavin Newsome, and he's as far left as you can get...

Based on what I am reading of Steve and his posts, his mentality would fit in great with the politics down south. He should run for public office down here. He would probably get elected. I think Steve would be more at home in the south than he would California.

I lived in California for 30 years, with both Democratic and Republican Governors. My "mentality" is one which states that you don't shit on the rights of good Americans and you don't force them to pay for something which will be given to someone who doesn't deserve it.

I don't know if that's a mentality prevalent in the south or not. Where I live (St. Augustine, Florida) it tends to be pretty conservative, but a short drive down the coast will expose you to very different mindsets...
@BigSteve

Steve wrote:San Francisco is one of the wealthiest cities in the country, and is liberal to the extreme...

Yes but San Francisco to my knowledge is not part of southern California. San Diego is and so is Carlsbad and most of the people I met from there are republican. I should have clarified that I was specifically meaning southern California where a lot of wealth seems to be concentrated. I didn't think about San Fransisco.

Steve wrote:That's because he's a Democrat.

I don't know who you're referring to when you talk about California electing a Republican Governor. California hasn't had a Republican Governor since Schwarzenegger left office in 2011. The current Governor is Gavin Newsome, and he's as far left as you can get...

I was talking about Vermont's governor and not California's governor. Vermonters seem to regard him as a republican and not a democrat. You have Trump supporters up there too. And surprise surprise Steve, Vermont has very lax gun laws (and it seems this remains the case even AFTER gun legislation was passed) similar to states like Alabama, Texas and Georgia, though some gun control measures were introduced by the republican governor. Actually from what I am reading Vermont is MORE gun friendly than southern states like Texas or Alabama or Georgia.

There were a lot of protests met over that bill that was passed in Vermont. But Vermont's governor is not as conservative as the true south's politicians. Anyway, republican governor Rick Scott of Florida signed some gun control measures if I remember correctly. Here take a gander: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/f ... index.html. What makes you think Vermont's governor is somehow less republican than Florida's governor? Here are a few links to take a gander at in regards to Vermont's gun laws: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1H61RN

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-st ... -gun-laws/

It might come as a surprise for many to learn that Vermont is a very gun friendly state.

Steve wrote:I don't know if that's a mentality prevalent in the south or not. Where I live (St. Augustine, Florida) it tends to be pretty conservative, but a short drive down the coast will expose you to very different mindsets...

The northern part of Florida is really just the southern part of Georgia and the rest of Florida is not part of the real south. It doesn't seem like you have lived much in the true south. Florida has a lot of transplants from up North who bring their more liberal values down to Florida, typically in middle and southern Florida whereas northern Florida tends to remain part of the true south as their are less transplants there.

References-

Sanchez, Ray, and Holly Yan. "Florida Gov. Rick Scott Signs Gun Bill." CNN, 10 Mar. 2018, edition.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/florida-gov-scott-gun-bill/index.html. Accessed 11 June 2019.

Simpson, Ian. "In Gun-friendly Vermont, Lawmakers Pass Firearms Control Bill." U.S, 30 Mar. 2018, www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-ver ... SKBN1H61RN. Accessed 11 June 2019.

"Vermont Gun Laws." GunsToCarry, 17 Apr. 2017, www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/vermont-gun-laws/. Accessed 11 June 2019.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 11 Jun 2019 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
BigSteve wrote:Certainly.

But having legal residents pay for the illegals to be healthy is stupid and unfair. Instead of getting vaccines they should be given rides to the border...

Again, you are proposing unrealistic solutions that the capitalist system will not allow. Are you some sort of anti-capitalist?

Since deporting most of them is not really on the table, it then makes sense to keep the evil brown people healthy.

Let's say you're an illegal alien. You and I both want to buy a house, but neither of us can afford one. The way this proposal is set up, it would tax me so that money could be given to you so you could buy a house.

I'll eagerly await an explanation as to how that's fair...

I understand how the system works. It is more complicated than your bad comparison and so I do not see it as unfair.

Perhaps you could explain why it is “unfair”.

Because people who can't afford coverage for themselves will be forced to pay for it so someone else can have it.

That's beyond stupid...

And how does that fail anyone?

It seems you can get out of it by simply buying health insurance, which is what you are supposed to do anyway according to your capitalist health care system.

That's swell.

It's also unfair from the financial perspective and how the proposal will pay for it...

You keep talking about what is “fair”. Are you an SJW?

Anyway, at this point, I will assume you agree that it is a good idea from a medical viewpoint l

I absolutely disagree with that. The people who will be taxed will get no benefit from this plan, while those who can't afford it and who are here illegally will get it.

That's not right...

Actually, they benefit because the evil brown people are not getting their beautiful innocent white neighbours sick as often, as well as going to work more often and supporting your economy.

I'm simply not willing to turn my head away from the fact that illegals would be permitted to stay here. I reject that idea completely. They shouldn't. They should be kicked out.

Now you say "Oh, but who'll do the work?"

Well, we've got a tremendous workforce just rarin' to go. They sit around in orange jumpsuits and would willingly do the work and would have to be paid far less...

Your support of prison slavery is noted. But how many evil black people would we have to jail for their whole life over marijuana in order to replace the thousands (perhaps millions) of hardworking undocumented workers who are the backbone of the economy of the Southern UsA?
BigSteve wrote:The problem is the proposal says nothing about legal residents who can't afford it having it...

They would be eligible for California's Medicaid program, the joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled.

The proposal also makes California the first state in the country to help middle-income families pay their monthly health insurance premiums. It means a family of four earning as much as six times the federal poverty level — or more than $150,000 a year — would be eligible to get about $100 a month from the government to help pay their monthly health insurance premiums.

:lol:
@ingliz @BigSteve

ingliz wrote:They would be eligible for California's Medicaid program, the joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled.

Well...there we go, that should address Steve's concerns then. Right Steve? See Steve, California residents who can't afford health insurance are eligible for healthcare through Medicaid and a joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled. Isn't it grand to look out for the less fortunate and disenfranchised members of society? It's what makes a society civilized. And I am sure, we all want to live in a civilized society, don't we Steve?
ingliz wrote:I don't think you understand how tariffs work.

An import tariff is a regressive tax on the consumer.

You pay it, not Mexico.

I have a degree in business. I understand how tariffs work. An import tariff is an excise tax on goods imported from a particular country paid by the importer. They may pass the tax on to consumers or lose profit margins by lowering prices. It makes goods from the taxed locale less attractive to consumers and thereby effects investment decisions too.

Hong Wu wrote:California's troubles are only beginning because the exodus out of the state is mostly people who are at the age where they want to start having families.

It's already worse than that. Basically, a lot of native born people don't raise their kids in California if they can't afford to send them to private school, or if they don't live in an affluent area as I do. The reason is that the schools have gone absolutely to shit as a result of illegal immigration. In poorer areas, many kids don't speak English well enough to do the school work, which in practice reduces the primary education system to a glorified babysitting service for the children of illegal immigrants rather than a learning environment. Check out graduation rates by race and income to see my point.

Hong Wu wrote:This means that the next generation in California is going to be almost entirely composed of immigrants and single mothers on welfare.

Or high tech transplants. The culture of the California I grew up in is virtually dead. It no longer exists. Native born Californians like me are either the rich white people or they are marginally surviving or homeless and addicted or mentally ill. It's a modern version of medieval caste systems.

Hong Wu wrote:It was jarring. Everyone else was old, or a parent, or a student.

I live in an exurb abutting farm land. Lots of families. Housing is more affordable and MUCH nicer. My house, if it were in San Francisco about 90 minutes away, would be about $3M. It's just as jarring socially, because today you will see white teenagers ringing the cash register at In-n-Out where I live. That was the case in the town I grew up in, Walnut Creek, CA back in the day (1980s). Today, you will see Hispanic migrants holding those jobs where I grew up, and it's only a 20 minute drive. The cashiers are bi-lingual so they can bark orders to the Spanish-speaking order fulfillment crew. Most Americans really do not understand the criticisms of immigration because they watch mainstream television. For me, I'm always tripped out when I go to other parts of the United States. For example, in Massachusetts a white person buses my table at a restaurant. You just don't see that in California. If you take mass transit and transfer to the airport shuttle, it's amazing the racial sorting that takes place--in Dubai, they have different classes for mass transit so that happens by car class. The airport shuttles in the US are almost entirely whites and Asians--that is, educated and upper income.

Having just returned from Dubai recently, I've come to realize that there are some similarities to the US, except that in Dubai the government does not pay people to sit around idle, does not subsidize recreational drugs, and does not tolerate crime at all. Yet, if you see a South Asian, you are almost certainly looking a cashier, cab driver, construction worker or security guard who probably works 7 days a week and had their passports taken on arrival. If you see a white person, you are almost certainly looking at someone "rich" by world standards--not in Dubai, of course. Liberals seem to love this, provided you do not point out the racial dynamics.

It's as if slavery came back into existence and if you acknowledge it, you are called a racist. If you oppose it, you are called a bigot. It's as ingenious as it is insidious. Hence, my disdain for the establishment.

Hong Wu wrote:This is reductive and Mexico would not have changed their policies within a week if it were true. The additional cost of the tariff can be passed onto consumers but it also makes competing products more desirable, also it can encourage the sources of production to move to other locations. It is only guaranteed to be passed onto the consumer if a product (and all of its viable competitors) can only be produced in the tariffed country.

Tariff-free trade is the one thing where the communists agreed with the late British Empire, which was only doing it to try to hang on to the Empire and prevent war (which they failed to do). That's why you see leftists here going the distance to defend policies that largely benefit multi-billionaires and huge business conglomerates and US consumers at the expense of the rest of the world. Usually, these same people rail against capitalism and are pissed off that the US middle and upper classes have a better standard of living than the rest of the world. Yet, they are instrumental in defending that system. It's quite bizarre.

Hong Wu wrote:Mexico didn't change their policies within a week. Trump moved to accept the existing agreements. Mexico and the US had agreed border policies months before the Trump tariff threat.

Countries always promise to do things they won't do unless there is a cost for not doing it. Trump's threat to raise tariffs is adding political risk to investing in Mexico for American outsourcers and others investing in Mexico with the intent of exporting to the US. The reason is that what Trump is doing is popular with people like me, because fucking with the establishment makes me happy and it will for the foreseeable future. It's also good politics for Trump.

GodStud wrote:The cost of living is high, as it usually is in good places to live.

It depends on the what drives costs. In California, food is cheap. Housing is impossibly expensive. Government is impossibly expensive. I'm a slow mover when it comes to my living situation. However, the math is already in my head that I can afford much more pricewise just by moving to Nevada with no income tax. So I'm looking at places in Incline Village and Crystal Bay. So my budget starts looking more like this: Crystal Bay. It's about 700 sq. ft. smaller than my current house and more expensive as it is in a highly desirable neighborhood, but what I'd save in state income taxes I could just throw towards a bigger mortgage. I currently live in a house with a nearly identical floor plan, Van Daele, except I have a deck above the California room that adds another 300 sq. ft. of living space and the "elevations" put my living space at 3150 sq. ft. One issue for me is that they've capped mortgages with the tax reform, so I'd need to throw in another $150k, and I do like having a lot of cash readily available. Real estate isn't nearly as liquid.

Godstud wrote:British Columbia, in Canada, is a great place to live, but also has a high coast of living, on the coast. It's abbreviated as BC, which we jokingly refer to as meaning Bring Cash.

That wasn't always the case either. The Vancouver area used to be much more reasonable.

BigSteve wrote:The problem is the proposal says nothing about legal residents who can't afford it having it given to them. It's only going to be provided to those who are here illegally. The State's not all to concerned with making sure hard working Americans are taken care of...

That's wrong on every conceivable level...

This is why Trump won, and why he stands a very good chance of winning again. What I find amazing about it is that people like jimjam get Trump's economics so totally wrong that they do not understand that his policies have directly helped the working and middle classes, particularly outside of blue states. I guess I could move to Florida too, but I know absolutely nobody there. I consider Reno, NV an armpit as well as Las Vegas. So I'm thinking Nevada side of Tahoe. Yet, Trump capped mortgages too so that upper class and upper middle class people won't get tax writeoffs on mortgages over $700k. I'm pretty conservative, so I'd consider a 5/1 ARM with 5% down kind of a dicey proposition. I'm a 20% down and 30-year fixed kind of guy.

BigSteve wrote:San Francisco is one of the wealthiest cities in the country, and is liberal to the extreme...

Yes, but there is also massive voter fraud, which if corrected would reveal to you why Nixon and Reagan came from California.

BigSteve wrote:California hasn't had a Republican Governor since Schwarzenegger left office in 2011.

He wasn't much of a Republican either, and couldn't do much with such a corrupt legislature.

BigSteve wrote:The current Governor is Gavin Newsome, and he's as far left as you can get...

He's pretty crazy, but to his credit he did kill off most of the high speed train project for now, which was wise. He also killed off the twin tunnels Brown wanted to build to send even more water--this time from the Sacramento River, down to Southern California. Basically, low productivity government workers here will retire in high style, and that's what taxes are going for these days, and government workers on disability of course too (for paper cuts and such).

Politics_Observer wrote:It might come as a surprise for many to learn that Vermont is a very gun friendly state.

In practice, gun laws are just away of putting the violent poor and minorities in prison. While their impetus was intended to incarcerate drunken use of guns, prevent blacks from owning guns and to impede mafias and organized crime, they generally serve to put the violent poor and minorities in prison.
@blackjack21

blackjack21 wrote:In practice, gun laws are just away of putting the violent poor and minorities in prison. While their impetus was intended to incarcerate drunken use of guns, prevent blacks from owning guns and to impede mafias and organized crime, they generally serve to put the violent poor and minorities in prison.

I think to some degree it depends on location in the US. In the south, gun laws are about maintaining white supremacy AND locking up minorities. Stand your ground laws from what I have seen seem to favor whites in the south when such laws are applied. Most people who are locked up are minorities and poor whites are more likely to go to prison than wealthy whites given they have less resources to hire expensive high powered attorneys to defend them in court.

In the New England areas, it could be argued that gun laws are about putting the violent poor in prison given that from what I have seen of the New England areas besides the big cities, is that they don't have a large minority population like the south does (though the entire US is founded on white supremacy and not just merely the south).

What is legal isn't about what is right or wrong or just, what is legal is about power and control. I mean, heck, slavery was legal, the holocaust was legal and so was apartheid in South Africa. The suppression of legitimate protest was legal at Tianamen Square in China and the continued oppression of those who survived the Tianamen Square massacre is also legal. Yup what's legal isn't about what's right or just or fair, it's about power and control. And the legal system generally favors the members of society that have all the wealth and power.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 11 Jun 2019 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Again, you are proposing unrealistic solutions that the capitalist system will not allow. Are you some sort of anti-capitalist?

I'm proposing not taxing hard working Americans to provide coverage for people who shouldn't be here...

Since deporting most of them is not really on the table, it then makes sense to keep the evil brown people healthy.

You're choosing to be ignorant and stupid by repeatedly bringing up skin color. I don't care what color they are. I care about what they do...

I understand how the system works. It is more complicated than your bad comparison and so I do not see it as unfair.

Perhaps you could explain why it is “unfair”.

So, lemme' get this straight: You can claim that it's not unfair, and offer nothing to explain why, but you expect me to explain (again) why I think it is?

Go piss up a rope...

And how does that fail anyone?

It fails the people who would provide it for themselves and their families if they could afford it...

It seems you can get out of it by simply buying health insurance, which is what you are supposed to do anyway according to your capitalist health care system.

You're only "supposed" to buy health insurance if you want health insurance. Period. A "capitalist" would understand that you don't force someone to buy something they don't need or want.

Plenty of people out there would buy health coverage for themselves if they could afford it. But they can't, which means they sure as fuck can't afford to be taxed so it can be provided to someone else...

You keep talking about what is “fair”. Are you an SJW?

One needn't be an SJW to have a sense or right and wrong...

Anyway, at this point, I will assume you agree that it is a good idea from a medical viewpoint

That's not the primary consideration here. The primary consideration is forcing someone to pay for something for someone else. Like the illegals who are sucking off the government, the folks who are going to be taxed don't have health insurance. either. Why should illegals get it and not them? There's no provision in the proposal for that...

Actually, they benefit because the evil brown people are not getting their beautiful innocent white neighbours sick as often, as well as going to work more often and supporting your economy.

Your support of prison slavery is noted. But how many evil black people would we have to jail for their whole life over marijuana in order to replace the thousands (perhaps millions) of hardworking undocumented workers who are the backbone of the economy of the Southern UsA?

Such profound ignorance you display.

By stupidly trying to make this about race, all you do is prove that you don't have a valid argument based on facts. As such, I'm done with you.

You're dismissed...
Politics_Observer wrote:@ingliz @BigSteve

Well...there we go, that should address Steve's concerns then. Right Steve? See Steve, California residents who can't afford health insurance are eligible for healthcare through Medicaid and a joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled. Isn't it grand to look out for the less fortunate and disenfranchised members of society? It's what makes a society civilized. And I am sure, we all want to live in a civilized society, don't we Steve?

It doesn't address my concerns at all.

My concerns are based on the fact that good, hard-working Americans will be taxed so that illegal aliens can have health coverage.

That's wrong. A civilized society does not give things to people who are undeserving of them...
@BigSteve

Steve wrote:It doesn't address my concerns at all.

My concerns are based on the fact that good, hard-working Americans will be taxed so that illegal aliens can have health coverage.

That's wrong. A civilized society does not give things to people who are undeserving of them...

I didn't think it would Steve. At least, not your REAL and TRUE concerns that is.
Politics_Observer wrote:@BigSteve

I didn't think it would Steve. At least, not your REAL and TRUE concerns that is.

What do you believe my "REAL" and "TRUE" concerns are?
I'm proposing not taxing hard working Americans to provide coverage for people who shouldn't be here...

They are already paying. You can ignore that and I expect you will.

You're only "supposed" to buy health insurance if you want health insurance. Period. A "capitalist" would understand that you don't force someone to buy something they don't need or want.

There is not a soul in the US who does not "need" health insurance except the very wealthy and they see it as a good investment. The fact that some pin head may not "want" to pay for insurance is irrelevant. They are going to get care at the expense of other consumers if they need it in an emergency. Their citizenship status has nothing to do with that. If you were a capitalist you would know that somebody pays for everything whether they want to or not.

Plenty of people out there would buy health coverage for themselves if they could afford it. But they can't, which means they sure as fuck can't afford to be taxed so it can be provided to someone else...

And that is precisely why every other major capitalist economy in the world provides for universal care; usually through a mandatory single payer system usually run by the government.

Godstud has already posted the facts about this law and you are distorting them to fit your political agenda. That or you are unable to understand the law.

You claim to be a retired service person. (Which I doubt but that my doubts are irrelevant.) If you are, you have government health insurance so good that no other American can even buy it. Why do we deserve this coverage and no other American does? There are plenty of people who put their lives on the line every day who get no such thing. And don't tell me we deserve it in addition to our retirement because we served. Plenty of people serve in the military and put their lives on the line in combat who are not eligible even for VA coverage or who have to pay for some care and substantial copays for others. Everyone over 65 gets health care and the expense of those same people you claim can't afford their own coverage. Blind people get coverage. Disabled people get coverage. All paid by that same schmuck who can't afford health care. :violin:

The problem in the US is not that the taxpayers cover too many people but that they cover too few. I am not going down this road with yet another collection of dipshits who are too dumb to understand how this works. Suffice it to say, this is a right wing talking point of yours and it will play will with the fiddle and banjo crowd. The fact that it is a stupid argument based on a non-problem will not bother them at all.
Drlee wrote:You claim to be a retired service person. (Which I doubt but that my doubts are irrelevant.)

I'd be happy to compare DD214's with you.

I doubt you'd be as willing...

If you are, you have government health insurance so good that no other American can even buy it. Why do we deserve this coverage and no other American does?

You mean that wonderful health care which, while waiting for it, Vets were fucking dying?

Or was there another VA health care system you were referring to?

I don't believe for a second that you're former military. I don't know too many Vets who consider the VA to be "health insurance so good that no other American can even buy it"...
@Drlee @BigSteve

I have no doubt Steve served. I have met many like him while I was serving.

Steve wrote:You mean that wonderful health care which, while waiting for it, Vets were fucking dying?

Or was there another VA health care system you were referring to?

I don't believe for a second that you're former military. I don't know too many Vets who consider the VA to be "health insurance so good that no other American can even buy it"...

I can't speak for other veterans but I have seen the care that my fellow vets whom I served with in Afghanistan get and the care I have received. The Veterans Administration has done outstanding job treating me and has treated me well. As far as I can tell, the VA is doing a good job with my fellow vets, but I can't speak for them. I do them give them rides occasionally to their VA appointments or any surgeries they might need and they are treated very well from what I see. I am tremendously grateful to the VA and the outstanding care they have given me thus far. You might have to wait for surgeries though when it comes to VA healthcare. But you know, hey, something is better than nothing and I am happy with what I got. I appreciate the US government helping me out with healthcare. I am also grateful for the fact that the US government is paying for my college education. I never expected any of this when I volunteered to serve quite frankly.

But the fact that they are doing this for me, I think it's important as veterans that we show gratitude and respect for the efforts of the US government to take care of it's veterans. I can only speak from my experience, but in my experience, I never felt treated unfairly or have seen any veteran get treated unfairly by the US government. But I have heard plenty of complaints and have seen some horror stories on the news. Yet, I sometimes wonder if these news stories are a bit over-blown. I have never had any problems with the VA and I appreciate everything they do. When you look at how other governments take care of their veterans, the US government does a much better job. I talk with some of the Australian war veterans who also served in Afghanistan and were our allies about these type of issues. As Americans we are spoiled in many respects.
Politics_Observer wrote:

Still waiting for you to tell me what you believe my "REAL" and "TRUE" concerns are...
Nice try Steve. Wave all the flags you want to. My service started during Vietnam and ended after Gulf one. My lifelong health care was part of the deal the government made with me. Serve 20 years and pay no more. Of course they backed out of part of that deal and so we pay for our health care now. Just not very much.

And I am not bad mouthing the VA. It is nice fallback for veterans. It is NOT universal coverage for veterans like the retired coverage is. Or like medicare or medicaid is. So save the drum beating for someone else.

Politics Observer has the position I truly appreciate. He is grateful for the coverage our government has given us and so am I. He and I both realize that there are many wonderful Americans, some of them veterans, who die because they can't afford health care. And this is an avoidable shame.

For the price per person we pay in the US for health care, if we provided the amazing level of care that a country like France provides, for every person citizen or not, and have enough money left over to give every person in the US free limousine rides to their appointments and government expense and cover dental and drugs.

Whining like special snowflakes because someone else gets basic care, saving us all money, because we get pinged a little on our taxes is just stupid. If Steve is so all-fired worried about those people who can't afford health care on what they are being paid to work then he ought to be looking at the minimum wage, the cost of insurance, and all kinds of shit and not trying to blame undocumented aliens for a problem that existed before they got here and that would not get one bit better if they left.

an era when Europeans were more educated and inte[…]

I was quite explicit that the words are not by the[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]