Canadian Federal Election - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
You're right, Pants of dog, but it's also a time (along with the two budgets) to advance back-benchers, conversely demote ministers, change ministries, etc.
@Finfinder comparing an embarrassing incident to a rape allegation to one of impropriety, is pretty ridiculous. Kavanaugh's "smear campaign" was not based on something embarrassing, but an actual criminal accusation. I am sure even you can tell the different between embarrassing and criminal, right?
Stormsmith wrote:You're right, Pants of dog, but it's also a time (along with the two budgets) to advance back-benchers, conversely demote ministers, change ministries, etc.

Now that you mention it, it is obvious that Trudeau will have to do a lot of that even if he wants to keep things as similar as possible, because of the loss of two key ministers last night.
Godstud wrote:@Finfinder comparing an embarrassing incident to a rape allegation to one of impropriety, is pretty ridiculous. Kavanaugh's "smear campaign" was not based on something embarrassing, but an actual criminal accusation. I am sure even you can tell the different between embarrassing and criminal, right?

I can. Something that actually happened more than a few times, proven by actual photographic evidence verses false allegations made at the 11th hour that were not credible at all. Yes I can tell what Marxist communism is and who are flat out liars. Scary you cannot.
Your feelings don't matter, Finfinder.

Comparing a social faux pas to a criminal allegation is not logical, nor reasonable, even if said allegations were not credible(in your opinion).

Oooh, pictures that embarrass the PM, how tragic. :roll: That didn't seem to matter much, as people know that him doing dumb things 18 years ago, doesn't reflect on who he is now. He also apologized for it, which is an important thing to most people.

Marxist Communism? :lol: WTF are you on about?
Pants-of-dog wrote:The pollsters nailed that one. It also shows how regional politics and the FPTP system have helped those parties that have focused on regional issues. Bloc got far less votes than the Greens and far more seats, while more people across the country voted Conservative, while Liberals focused on Quebec and Ontario, again.

Perhaps we can take the analysis one step further?
Seems to me that urban Ontario can go Conservative, but it must be a type of Conservative that is likeable and acceptable to a point where an immigrant would vote for them.. and I only see that when such a Conservative recognizes and appreciates immigrants and what they have given up to become Canadian without the fawning of the Liberals/NDP. If the Conservatives pick someone that cannot make such a connection, then urban Ontario seems to be inaccessible.
Scheer did not have this connection, Rob Ford did, Harper had to hog tie his party to keep them from poisoning good will.

I think that is a factor in why black face "scandal" fizzled at the poles - Trudeau's actions didn't make Scheer more endearing.

Cons/Scheer received too large a popular vote for him to be forced out as party leader, so I think they will go on a charm offensive in a few years (and it will fail) rather than court by policy and deeds. I haven't heard much about shitty things Conservative Candidates had said, so I'm guessing that Party discipline is being enforced in addition to some rabble splitting off for the PPC.
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 24 Oct 2019 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderhawk wrote:Perhaps we can take the analysis one step further?
Seems to me that urban Ontario can go Conservative, but it must be a type of Conservative that is likeable and acceptable to a point where an immigrant would vote for them.. and I only see that when such a Conservative recognizes and appreciates immigrants and what they have given up to become Canadian without the fawning of the Liberals/NDP. If the Conservatives pick someone that cannot make such a connection, then urban Ontario seems to be inaccessible.
Scheer did not have this connection, Rob Ford did, Harper had to hog tie his party to keep them from poisoning good will.

I think that is a factor in why black face "scandal" fizzled at the poles - Trudeau's actions didn't make Scheer more endearing.

Cons/Scheer received too large a popular vote for him to be forced out as party leader, so I think they will go on a charm offensive in a few years (and it will fail) rather than court by policy and deeds. I haven't heard much about shitty things Conservative Candidates had said, so I'm guessing that Party discipline is being enforced in addition to some rabble splitting off for the PPC.

The PPC may actually function as a relief valve for those Cons with really reactionary views.

And yes, the Cons could easily have won if Scheer had courted immigrants. Many immigrants are more conservative than natives, and Ford did show that Cons can make gains with them.

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]