Looks Like the Space Force is Officially a New Branch of the US Military - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Well, it looks like as of December 20, 2019, the US has a new military branch of service: United States Space Force. My research indicates that it will be part of the Department of the Air Force much like the US Marines are part of the Department of the Navy. They even have their own uniform which can be seen here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/politics ... index.html

Here is the US Space Force's website: https://www.spaceforce.mil/

Here is the Air Force Times article in regards to the official start of the US Space Force: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... hat-means/
I know most people are making fun of this, but it sounds totally reasonable to me. If you take the time to understand, their charter isn't to put people and soldiers in space, it's to track and protect American assets that are in space, like the GPS system and the shit ton of sattiliates that generate important research data among other things.
Are they going to make a special Arctic Force™℠®©, just in case the US soil in Antarctica is invaded? Surely must be keeping a SEAL team ready just in case, right? That's more reasonable than some "Space Force" defending the USA from Stavros's evil plans to turn GPS satellites into laser cannons.

Reasonable? My ass!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're doing it just to make Trump happy, and that makes it even dumber.
@Rancid

Rancid wrote:I know most people are making fun of this, but it sounds totally reasonable to me. If you take the time to understand, their charter isn't to put people and soldiers in space, it's to track and protect American assets that are in space, like the GPS system and the shit ton of sattiliates that generate important research data among other things.

It sounds totally reasonable to me too. However, I still like to make fun of it though!

@Godstud

Godstud wrote:Are they going to make a special Arctic Force™℠®©, just in case the US soil in Antarctica is invaded? Surely must be keeping a SEAL team ready just in case, right? That's more reasonable than some "Space Force" defending the USA from Stavros's evil plans to turn GPS satellites into laser cannons.

Reasonable? My ass!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're doing it just to make Trump happy, and that makes it even dumber.

Just think Godstud, it will be like Starship Troopers:

My favorite scene from Starship Troopers, given I was an infantryman myself when I served in the US Army is this scene. That's how some of the guys in my unit ended up the way the recruiter looks in the video below. I still love the infantry though and it can make you a better person, provided you survive. A lot of truth in this scene cut:

"GOOD for you! Infantry made me the man I am today!" *the recruiter says as he shakes the clueless young kid's hand who is a new recruit*
Rancid wrote:I know most people are making fun of this, but it sounds totally reasonable to me. If you take the time to understand, their charter isn't to put people and soldiers in space, it's to track and protect American assets that are in space, like the GPS system and the shit ton of sattiliates that generate important research data among other things.

Not only is it stupid to create that department, how much money (resources) will they pour in to it?
As space is unlimited, and pentagon (through their interests/lobyists) will make sure the budget for the department is increased.
The initial years will be test years (very, very smal increase) and then they will be embolden enough to raise trillions.
They will ignore how they will pay for it, saying it's to defend America (they will even make up potential, ridiculous, threats)...

Thus, they rob the people from other, necessary policies (such as healthcare) that needs the funds. While they question, how can US afford medicare for all (just like other social democratic countries)?
Groom wrote:
Not only is it stupid to create that department, how much money (resources) will they pour in to it?
As space is unlimited, and pentagon (through their interests/lobyists) will make sure the budget for the department is increased.
The initial years will be test years (very, very smal increase) and then they will be embolden enough to raise trillions.
They will ignore how they will pay for it, saying it's to defend America (they will even make up potential, ridiculous, threats)...

Thus, they rob the people from other, necessary policies (such as healthcare) that needs the funds. While they question, how can US afford medicare for all (just like other social democratic countries)?

Yes and no.

It is not stupid to setup a department under the air force chartered with protecting and tracking US assets in orbit. That, all by itself is a totally reasonable thing to do. Why is it stupid to track and protect the US GPS system (for example)? :?:

Now, if you want to claim that is a waste of money because there are other things that are more important like medicare/medicade, sure, that's reasonable too. Anyway, it's not clear if this department is supposed to use new funds or existing funds from the air force, I guess that's the first data point needed to start that conversation.

I don't know what this space force does, but protecting assets in space is kind of impossible. You can only hope that the ASAT weapon is more expensive that whatever the sat and its launch cost. Also, one of the reasons space if considered "off-limits" is because any conflict in orbit would cause debris rendering the orbit useless for anyone.
Rugoz wrote:I don't know what this space force does, but protecting assets in space is kind of impossible. You can only hope that the ASAT weapon is more expensive that whatever the sat and its launch cost. Also, one of the reasons space if considered "off-limits" is because any conflict in orbit would cause debris rendering the orbit useless for anyone.

Ok well you still need to track them, adjust them decommissing them, etc. etc. You also can track what other people are doing as well.

I don't see the problem here. It's just a department under he air force.
late wrote:Because the first war in Space will likely be the last.

It's been stated, the purpose of this department isn't to soldiers and weapons in space. Get fucking over it already.

@Rugoz, protection of these assets doens't just mean protect them getting blown up. It also means protecting access and preventing hacking.

Again, all of you are being obtuse here. There is nothing unreasonable about this department.

The best argument against this, is that maybe there are other things that should take higher priority than this. However, from the perspective of the US government and the corporations that run America. Spending on the millitary is never waste. :lol: :lol: :lol: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :*( :*( :*(
Rancid wrote:
It's been stated, the purpose of this department isn't to soldiers and weapons in space. Get fucking over it already.

Newbie, there was mission creep going on before Trump grabbed at the shiny object.

Russia, America and China are working on orbiting weapons. The smart thing to do is negotiate a deal that slows or stops the insanity.

There are a series of problems here. If one side takes out spy satellites, then the other side finds themselves in a "use it for lose it" position minutes after hostilities start. There's not enough time to talk everyone down.

One conflict, and the satellites start chewing each other up until trying to get a rocket into Space is like launching into an autoshotgun blast. That would last for generations, and if a rock decides to drop in, we go the way of the dinosaurs.

If you don't read something like SciAm you wouldn't know the full scope of it; the stunning progress we've made thanks to orbital instrumentation simply stops.

Frankly, this makes Trump's usual madness seem trivial by way of comparison.
late wrote:One conflict, and the satellites start chewing each other up until trying to get a rocket into Space is like launching into an autoshotgun blast. That would last for generations, and if a rock decides to drop in, we go the way of the dinosaurs.

To be fair, both shooting deadly beams on the ground and finding a big enough meteor to trigger a dinosaur-like apocalypse would require considerable accuracy. Not to mention the sheer time required for the said meteor to come and destroy everything (can take days or even months) -- this can even mean an aversion is more feasible at a later stage (instead of usual problems which should be tackled early) because the said thing is more target-able when it is nearer.

If anybody can do this with such accuracy, they probably will just take the leaders out -- the Soleimani way. It is far more cost-effective and possibly minimise unnecessary damage. Let the people do the rest.
Patrickov wrote:
To be fair, both shooting deadly beams on the ground and finding a big enough meteor to trigger a dinosaur-like apocalypse would require considerable accuracy. Not to mention the sheer time required for the said meteor to come and destroy everything (can take days or even months) -- this can even mean an aversion is more feasible at a later stage (instead of usual problems which should be tackled early) because the said thing is more target-able when it is nearer.

If anybody can do this with such accuracy, they probably will just take the leaders out -- the Soleimani way. It is far more cost-effective and possibly minimise unnecessary damage. Let the people do the rest.

They won't be using "beams". Even Dr Evil calls them lasers.

We don't use meteors as a weapon, we don't have the ability. Which is good. The problem is that we need to develop the ability to divert them. We can't do that if we can't get into Space.

Armenia is joining the sanctions against the Russi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Why would you Americans care? People (not just[…]

Claims that mainstream economics is changing rad[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]