Looks Like the Space Force is Officially a New Branch of the US Military - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
late wrote:It's the cascade.

You degrade a system, and if it's vulnerable to a cascade collapse, that's what you get. You saw it happen in the economic crisis we had a decade ago. One of the things most scientists don't want to talk about is that it could eventually happen to the world's ecosystems.

In orbit, around Earth, a fight would bust a bunch of satellites into pieces. Some of those are going to hit other satellites. But at some point, you get a cascade, and most or all of them get ripped apart.

I suppose that's a nice theory, but it's not like we haven't been throwing all kinds of stuff up there over the past five decades. If there was going to be some sort of cosmic pile-up, I think it would've happened by now.
The Mariner wrote:
I suppose that's a nice theory, but it's not like we haven't been throwing all kinds of stuff up there over the past five decades. If there was going to be some sort of cosmic pile-up, I think it would've happened by now.

If you want to put a new one up, you need to pay attention to what's already there. Not just the satellites, the debris.

Space needs a garbage collector.
The Mariner wrote:
Do you think they do launches without knowing where everything else is?

It's NASA, man. They're on top of stuff like this.

Yes, they are.

"The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect,[1][2] collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a theoretical scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) due to space pollution is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade in which each collision generates space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions.[3] One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges difficult for many generations.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
late wrote:Yes, they are.

"The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect,[1][2] collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a theoretical scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) due to space pollution is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade in which each collision generates space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions.[3] One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges difficult for many generations.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Key word: "Theoretical".

Besides, NASA knows what they're doing. I wouldn't worry about it.
The Mariner wrote:
Key word: "Theoretical".

Besides, NASA knows what they're doing. I wouldn't worry about it.

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called science."

If there is one thing we learn again and again in Space, is that's it tougher than we thought it would be. A la de da attitude gets you dead in Space.

Like I said, Space needs a garbage collector.
late wrote:"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called science."

If there is one thing we learn again and again in Space, is that's it tougher than we thought it would be. A la de da attitude gets you dead in Space.

Like I said, Space needs a garbage collector.

I'm pretty sure the only guy who's approaching this with a "la de da" attitude is the guy proclaiming we need a "garbage collector" in space.
The Mariner wrote:
I'm pretty sure the only guy who's approaching this with a "la de da" attitude is the guy proclaiming we need a "garbage collector" in space.

Then you have an exceedingly short attention span:

"The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect,[1][2] collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978..."

Additionally:

The Mariner wrote:
There's debris up there screaming through space at almost 18,000 mph.

And you want to stop it with a net???

Yeah. good luck with that.

My position is that there are probably more pressing things to be concerned with.

There are a thousand concerns being worked on in Space. That's one of them.

Your technical objection is simple engineering. The trash collector will need to keep the speed differential from ripping the net.
The Mariner wrote:Do you think they do launches without knowing where everything else is?

It's NASA, man. They're on top of stuff like this.

They are. If orbital debris gets too bad, then it would be cleaned up.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2011_space_debris_elimination

Godstud wrote::lol:
Great Starship Troopers reference, but we still haven't established that there's a threat demanding a "Space Force".

Honestly, the USA is one of the very few countries in the world, in space, to any significant degree, and any problems in space, can be handled on earth. This is just a ridiculous idea, by a ridiculous person, taken to ridiculous lengths to please his ridiculous ego.

The issue is that Russia and China are developing anti satellite weapons. Furthermore, the anti ship missiles they have also need orbital targeting to be effective. So the US needs to defend it’s communication and recon assets in space while destroying the enemy equivalents in order to keep their navy afloat.

The decisive conflict between great powers will now be fought in orbit. Whoever wins there can use state of the art doctrine, which are dependant on orbital control, to crush the enemy. This is much like control of the air being decisive in WWII.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Whats up with this strange idea that ukrainians ar[…]

@late the issue is evolution. It never stops. We[…]

Moscow empire has an elaborate culture of the so[…]

Mexico, LoL, why would anyone nuke Mexico. Drlee[…]