Justice "has effectively gone rogue" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15066768
"The withdrawal of all four career prosecutors handling the case against Roger Stone, in the wake of the Justice Department’s sentencing shift, underscores that Attorney General William P. Barr’s department has effectively gone rogue...

These actions threaten to throw the Justice Department into existential crisis.

The president’s tweet and the department’s reduction of Stone’s sentencing were utterly rank and improper. The action runs counter not only to standard practice but also to the standard that the Justice Department is supposed to embody: the administration of justice without fear or favor."

Translation: If a Dem wins Barr goes to jail.

Harry Litman, is a former U.S. attorney and deputy assistant attorney general. He teaches constitutional law and national security law..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/11/justice-departments-reputation-is-life-support/
#15066787
When crooks roam free in our government, Justice is dead. Wrongdoing becomes so common. This is disgusting. This grossness is a major reason why I changed my mind about pursuing political commentary. Trump and his henchmen need to be locked up.
#15066802
MistyTiger wrote:When crooks roam free in our government, Justice is dead. Wrongdoing becomes so common. This is disgusting. This grossness is a major reason why I changed my mind about pursuing political commentary. Trump and his henchmen need to be locked up.

Nonsense. You don't have a clue.
#15067072
MistyTiger wrote:Why is Trump hiding his tax returns from us? It is just paper. Or is he a tax evader?

He has been automatically audited every year by the IRS because he makes so much money. He has been advised by his tax lawyers to not release any tax returns while under audit by the IRS. The IRS have yet to find any evasion of taxes so you should not assume he is a tax evader.

The one year of his tax returns that Rachael Maddow of MSNBC got hold of only revealed that he paid a lot of taxes that year. The Democrats only want them to try to fabricate another reason to impeach him. Remember, that the great thing about this country is that we are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. You do not seem to want to give President Trump that same presumption of innocence. Are you a Democrat?
#15067114
Returning briefly to the topic, I agree with @late and Misty Tiger, the four prosectors stepping away from Roger Stone's case (and one completely quitting his post, full stop) does not auger well for American justice, especially when one looks at the cases like the cases of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman and his twin brother Yevgeny.

Today's case of Barr grumbling about President Trump 's tweeting was a bit of a slap-dash attempt of deceiving the public, IMO.

Patriots such as you need to start a movement, methinks
#15067204
late wrote:Because the law demands Congress has access to any return they want to see.


MistyTiger's question was: "Why is Trump hiding his tax returns from us?"

The way she framed her questions clearly shows that MistyTiger believes she has some right to see them.

Would you be okay with the tax returns being handed over to Congress, and then Congress saying the tax returns were in perfect order and discrepancies were found, without ever getting a look at them yourself?

I think most Democrats would lose their minds if that happened.
#15067205
Indy wrote:
MistyTiger's question was: "Why is Trump hiding his tax returns from us?"

The way she framed her questions clearly shows that MistyTiger believes she has some right to see them.

Would you be okay with the tax returns being handed over to Congress, and then Congress saying the tax returns were in perfect order and discrepancies were found, without ever getting a look at them yourself?

I think most Democrats would lose their minds if that happened.



We want laws obeyed.

The law says Congress gets any return they want. That also applies to NY.

What anyone says beyond that is not relevant, but I'd bet that was what she meant.
#15067231
MistyTiger wrote:Why is Trump hiding his tax returns from us? It is just paper. Or is he a tax evader?


Why do you believe a person has to prove their innocence? Do you not believe in innocent until proven guilty or is there just a special rule for Republicans? What have the Democrats done in the last 3 plus years to indicate he would be treated fair?
#15067249
late wrote:These actions threaten to throw the Justice Department into existential crisis.

It's been in a crisis for awhile now.

late wrote:The president’s tweet and the department’s reduction of Stone’s sentencing were utterly rank and improper.

So vote against Trump in November.

late wrote:Translation: If a Dem wins Barr goes to jail.

For what crime? Notice the political nature of your commentary?

Stormsmith wrote:especially when one looks at the cases like the cases of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman and his twin brother Yevgeny.

There are no cases against the Vindman brothers.

late wrote:The law says Congress gets any return they want. That also applies to NY.

There is a conflict of laws. The Privacy Act says that they get to remain private. Democrats want to leak his tax returns to the press.
#15067273
Finfinder wrote:Why do you believe a person has to prove their innocence? Do you not believe in innocent until proven guilty or is there just a special rule for Republicans? What have the Democrats done in the last 3 plus years to indicate he would be treated fair?


Why is he trying so hard to keep them away from lawyers, court and everyone? If he has nothing to hide, then he is innocent. His behavior is suspicious. How much money does he pay out? It is a simple question really. There is no need to be so secretive.
#15067279
MistyTiger wrote:Why is he trying so hard to keep them away from lawyers, court and everyone? If he has nothing to hide, then he is innocent. His behavior is suspicious. How much money does he pay out? It is a simple question really. There is no need to be so secretive.

So you believe you are always guilty and have to prove your innocence to your political rivals. Hasn't his oppositions behavior been even stranger? He was spied upon and then set up by his political opponents multiple times the same people who impeached him solely for political purposes and the the same people who sued him (and lost by the way) in the courts for his taxes. Why should he trust their intentions. To take from Hilary Clinton "what difference does it make?" There is nothing to gain. Will you vote for Trump if he produces his taxes and it reveals nothing?
#15067281
Finfinder wrote:
So you believe you are always guilty and have to prove your innocence...



No, you have to obey the law.

When you don't, the government has a duty to investigate.

I am sure you will repeat the same nonsense until your fingers fall off. But you can't make a silken truth out of a sows lie.
#15067286
late wrote:No, you have to obey the law.

When you don't, the government has a duty to investigate.

I am sure you will repeat the same nonsense until your fingers fall off. But you can't make a silken truth out of a sows lie.


At the point when providing your income taxes is law in becoming the president of the United States, you might have an argument.

Otherwise, read some books Unthinking Majority, a[…]

Biden breaks his foot

There were lots of people who thought Trump was b[…]

EU-BREXIT

So when we all turn into Zombies we know who to b[…]

A couple of nights ago, one news channel... Do y[…]