Perfect storm? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
We have millions of poor people that don't have insurance.

They are going to be running around, still working because they have no choice, while sick with the Corona virus.

I've been talking for years that pigeons come home to roost.

By fokker
Seriously what happens in US if you go to hospital and say you have coronavirus and no health insurance? I can't believe they would let people run around freely, at least as long as the number of infected people is low.
By Rancid
fokker wrote:Seriously what happens in US if you go to hospital and say you have coronavirus and no health insurance? I can't believe they would let people run around freely, at least as long as the number of infected people is low.

They would most certainly treat you. Hospitals cannot refuse treatment if you cannot pay. You will get treated, however, you will go bankrupt. I'm fortunate to have a well paying job and decent insurance, so I could afford treatment, but many Americans can't.

the real problem is, people that think they have the virus, but will choose not to go to the hospital because it will make them bankrupt. If this turns out to be true. we will see this spread in pooor neighborhoods.

What I expect or want to hear, is that the US government will declare that it will cover the bill, and that hospitals should bill the government instead of people. Then the government should negotiate a fair price.
By SolarCross
Rancid wrote:What I expect or want to hear, is that the US government will declare that it will cover the bill, and that hospitals should bill the government instead of people. Then the government should negotiate a fair price.

I think even in a free country that is not an unreasonable expectation. Governments are military institutions that exist for emergency conditions. Arguably a pandemic that might kill millions of people qualifies as an emergency condition... If they would fight an invasion of reds why not an invasion of bugs?
By Paddy14
Rancid wrote:What I expect or want to hear, is that the US government will declare that it will cover the bill, and that hospitals should bill the government instead of people. Then the government should negotiate a fair price.

That is what happens in civilised jurisdictions - it's called Universal Health Care, and is the right of every citizen and permanent resident.
By Stormsmith
I would urge you to consider this when you vote.
By Rancid
Paddy14 wrote:That is what happens in civilised jurisdictions - it's called Universal Health Care, and is the right of every citizen and permanent resident.

Yes, that is exactly what the subtext of my post was.

SolarCross wrote:I think even in a free country that is not an unreasonable expectation. Governments are military institutions that exist for emergency conditions. Arguably a pandemic that might kill millions of people qualifies as an emergency condition... If they would fight an invasion of reds why not an invasion of bugs?

Yes, governments are basically insurance companies with guns. :)
By Godstud
Good thing they have Pence on the job!

By Rancid
Godstud wrote:Good thing they have Pence on the job!

I'm pretty sure he would do a good job if we told him the virus was gay.
By jimjam
Rancid wrote:the real problem is, people that think they have the virus, but will choose not to go to the hospital because it will make them bankrupt. If this turns out to be true. we will see this spread in pooor neighborhoods

I really do not think that many folks who hardly make enough $ to put food on the table and who have no health care/insurance will spend $3500 for a coronavirus test kit.
By Rancid
jimjam wrote:I really do not think that many folks who hardly make enough $ to put food on the table and who have no health care/insurance will spend $3500 for a coronavirus test kit.

That's my point. They will not go to the hospital to get tested, treated, and isolated. Thus, they will spread it more. This is the problem with the for profit US healthcare system.
By blackjack21
Rancid wrote:You will get treated, however, you will go bankrupt

If you cannot pay or make other arrangements.

Rancid wrote:the real problem is, people that think they have the virus, but will choose not to go to the hospital because it will make them bankrupt.

More likely the opposite. They will go to the emergency room with the lingering stages of a cold.

Rancid wrote:What I expect or want to hear, is that the US government will declare that it will cover the bill, and that hospitals should bill the government instead of people.

The government is the people. Do you not see why your theory never works?

SolarCross wrote:I think even in a free country that is not an unreasonable expectation. Governments are military institutions that exist for emergency conditions. Arguably a pandemic that might kill millions of people qualifies as an emergency condition... If they would fight an invasion of reds why not an invasion of bugs?

The bigger issue is that propagandizing to the masses depends on the masses accepting your message. If they can double check and realize you're lying, then your message is toast. The Democrats are trying to unseat Trump and spreading lies to that end.

Paddy14 wrote:That is what happens in civilised jurisdictions - it's called Universal Health Care, and is the right of every citizen and permanent resident.

I just bought Charles Murray's latest book--to be honest, the latest audiobook. He's blowing apart the notion that men and women are equals in medical needs.

Rancid wrote:Yes, that is exactly what the subtext of my post was.

And does that include the effectiveness of the national health service during the H1N1 outbreak? Somehow, I think not. Rather, Trump's brilliant response must be re-characterized as racism.

Rancid wrote:Yes, that is exactly what the subtext of my post was.

Good God! We agree on something.

Rancid wrote:That's my point. They will not go to the hospital to get tested, treated, and isolated. Thus, they will spread it more. This is the problem with the for profit US healthcare system.

You people have such insipid commentary. People who have no money have nothing to lose. They will most certainly go to the hospital.

The entire premise of the Democratic Party's willingness to give free healthcare to illegal immigrants is due to the fact that they do not pay. It's a paid vote--ostensibly. People trade their political freedom for money in the United States.
By Rancid
blackjack21 wrote:The government is the people.

Does that mean you are the deep state?

blackjack21 wrote: They will most certainly go to the hospital.

No they won't. I grew up poor and know plenty of people that didn't go to the hospital or check checkups because they couldn't afford it.

blackjack21 wrote:You people have such insipid commentary.

Your commentary is the most generic conservative stuff around. Don't kid yourself. You also have a habit of only commenting on only the posts I make which fit into the bucket you want me to fit in. Basically, you ignore the complexity and nuance of a lot of my posts. Maybe you're too dimwitted which is why you pass that over.

In other words, the problem is you, not me.
Last edited by Rancid on 03 Mar 2020 06:01, edited 3 times in total.
By Godstud
Yep, @Rancid. The disease will spread because the people barely getting by cannot take time off work to get treatment, or checked out, and so will spread it thru workplaces.

The last thing a person who barely gets by needs, is another medical bill for a Coronavirus test. They'll take their chances and the American public will pay the price for a medical system designed around profit, and not for the public health.

blackjack21 wrote: Rather, Trump's brilliant response must be re-characterized as racism.
You're the only one stupid enough to say that. No one else is saying that.

Trump's response is ignorant and apathetic, which is about par for the course(to put it in terms that Trump would understand).
By Hindsite
blackjack21 wrote:The entire premise of the Democratic Party's willingness to give free healthcare to illegal immigrants is due to the fact that they do not pay. It's a paid vote--ostensibly. People trade their political freedom for money in the United States.

Their vote is also another reason the Democrats are against any restrictions on voting, like requiring a photo ID. And to insure more votes they are against building border walls and for providing illegal immigrants with drivers licenses in which they are automatically registered to vote. The Democrats think they are fooling everyone with this claim of Republican voter suppression.
By Puffer Fish
How about if you go to a hospital and say "I have the Corona virus", but tell them you are going to refuse to agree to treatment if you have to pay for it, because you can't afford it?
By Godstud
:roll: You're talking shit. Illegals cannot vote. That's a simple fact. You are spreading lies because you heard your cheating philanderer liar Trump say so.
By blackjack21
Rancid wrote:Does that mean you are the deep state?

What does it mean @rancid? You cannot separate yourself from the people.

Rancid wrote:No they won't. I grew up poor and know plenty of people that didn't go to the hospital or check checkups because they couldn't afford it.

Growing up poor and growing up stupid are two different things, especially since they've been there for you since 1968.

I gotta go for now, but I know I'm the best conservative shit you've got.
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote::roll: You're talking shit. Illegals cannot vote. That's a simple fact. You are spreading lies because you heard your cheating philanderer liar Trump say so.

I am talking the truth. Illegals are not supposed to vote but many of them are allowed to if they register as a Democrat.
By Godstud
:roll: Please provide a source for this moronic claim that has been proven, time and time again, to be a right-wing conspiracy theory.

Palestinian armed groups in Gaza do have a histor[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]