coronavirus: Is Trump up to the challenge? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15075031
President Trump survived impeachment and the Mueller investigation, and has “waved away dozens of lesser scandals as though they were nothing more than gnats,In the rapidly spreading coronavirus, though, he “faces a challenge unlike any he has confronted before”—one that he can’t fix with his “usual tool kit” of bullying, lies, and claims of a “witch hunt.” As the deadly virus started to spread within our borders, Trump repeatedly made it clear he views the epidemic in purely political and selfish terms, as a threat to the stock market and his re-election.....
source : http://www.vikilix.com/2020/03/11/coron ... challenge/
#15075147
This pandemic will only destroy Trump's chance of re-election if he fails to deal with it while EU succeeds, which seems unlikely as the EU is totally incompetent. So he can always point at the number of infected/dead in the EU saying he managed it successfully.
#15075158
fokker wrote:This pandemic will only destroy Trump's chance of re-election if he fails to deal with it while EU succeeds, which seems unlikely as the EU is totally incompetent. So he can always point at the number of infected/dead in the EU saying he managed it successfully.

I don't see how he can lose against Biden no matter what happens.
#15075170
blackjack21 wrote:
The US has had 40 deaths. Italy has over 1,000. China has had 3,189 (if we can believe China). By the numbers, Trump is doing an exemplary job.



We are on an exponential curve.

Since you have no idea what that means, it's the math that gets you over a million bucks if you double a penny every day for a month.

Trump killed the pandemic teams, refused to tackle the problem for weeks while calling it a hoax, then started whining it wasn't his fault while failing to lead, and is still playing politics.

IOW, as one health expert described it, the Trump administration has given us a "catastrophic failure".

"It will be a long time before we can reckon with the full damage done by an Administration whose incompetence, disinformation, and sheer bungling in the early stages of the crisis have been at once predictable and breathtaking..."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/a-president-unequal-to-the-moment
#15075241
late wrote:IOW, as one health expert described it, the Trump administration has given us a "catastrophic failure".

It isn't even as catastrophic as H1NI/SARS/Swine Flu in the US. It may get there. We shall see. The panic is just the media trying to scare the hell out of the public. It's probably because coronavirus kills people around the age of the people in charge in the US--e.g., Nancy Pelosi, Bernie Sanders, you, etc. I still have another $50k in cash I need to put to work, so please keep panicking until I have my portfolio completely built. I will easily double my money in 12-18 months. :lol: :rockon:

fokker wrote:This pandemic will only destroy Trump's chance of re-election if he fails to deal with it while EU succeeds, which seems unlikely as the EU is totally incompetent. So he can always point at the number of infected/dead in the EU saying he managed it successfully.

Or China for that matter. The reality is that there have been far fewer deaths in the US than in China or the EU, and part of that was Trump cutting off travel.

SolarCross wrote:I don't see how he can lose against Biden no matter what happens.

Frankly, I don't either. These people have completely lost their minds. Grocers Fail to Keep Up With Demand as Coronavirus Pandemic Spreads

I just heard a report that the WinCo near my house had lines out the door at 4:00 a.m. Good God are people stupid. Retail sales for grocers will sure be up. I guess this must be urban liberals who think food comes from restaurants and have lost their minds. Even my friend bought 80 rolls of toilet paper from a janitorial supply when I told her we are already stocked and it will do nothing to prevent coronavirus. Still, that herd mentality kicked in and she spent $50 on toilet paper for no good reason. :roll: People really are stupid.
#15075246
blackjack21 wrote:The reality is that there have been far fewer deaths in the US than in China or the EU, and part of that was Trump cutting off travel.


You have been told 2x already that Italy cut off travel earlier, yet you keep repeating it like you're fucking demented. Basically your behavior on this site in a nutshell.

:roll:
#15075249
Rugoz wrote:You have been told 2x already that Italy cut off travel earlier, yet you keep repeating it like you're fucking demented. Basically your behavior on this site in a nutshell.

Trump also quarantined people returning. Italy didn't quarantine anyone until much later.

The fact of the matter is that the disease spread very quickly in Italy, whereas in the US it has been much slower. We have also cut off Europe as an infection vector now too.
#15075252
blackjack21 wrote:The US has had 40 deaths. Italy has over 1,000. China has had 3,189 (if we can believe China). By the numbers, Trump is doing an exemplary job.


We're about two-three weeks behind Italy, so you need to factor that in. However, when you do check the numbers (at least the one's I saw on CNN), I agree that we are not on the Italy curve, we are on the same curve as France at the moment.
#15075255
fokker wrote:This pandemic will only destroy Trump's chance of re-election if he fails to deal with it while EU succeeds, which seems unlikely as the EU is totally incompetent. So he can always point at the number of infected/dead in the EU saying he managed it successfully.


You seem to not have very good handle on US politics. The virus has exposed the Democrats even more than they already have been, if that was possibly. When the virus started Democrat leadership refused to deal with it because they were too busy with a failed fake impeachment. The virus has exposed the fragility of the healthcare system, a system which all Democrats raised their hands when asked if they would include free healthcare to illegal immigrants. The virus has exposed the Democrats immigration policy of open borders and has proven Trumps border agenda is the correct one. The Democrats are going to nominate a candidate that is mired in 30 years of pay to play corruption and family enrichment, who seems to have early stages of Dementia. The Democrats are exposed for championing the affects of this pandemic that will pass in time, like every one in the past has. Joe Biden will get annihilated in a debate on any of these issues.
#15075263
You seem to not have very good handle on US politics. The virus has exposed the Democrats even more than they already have been, if that was possibly. When the virus started Democrat leadership refused to deal with it because they were too busy with a failed fake impeachment. The virus has exposed the fragility of the healthcare system, a system which all Democrats raised their hands when asked if they would include free healthcare to illegal immigrants. The virus has exposed the Democrats immigration policy of open borders and has proven Trumps border agenda is the correct one. The Democrats are going to nominate a candidate that is mired in 30 years of pay to play corruption and family enrichment, who seems to have early stages of Dementia. The Democrats are exposed for championing the affects of this pandemic that will pass in time, like every one in the past has. Joe Biden will get annihilated in a debate on any of these issues.


None of this boilerplate Fox News stuff makes any sense.

Your assertions about Democrats are baseless. Typical Trump clone.
#15075283
Drlee wrote:
None of this boilerplate Fox News stuff makes any sense.

Your assertions about Democrats are baseless. Typical Trump clone.



Trump won't be debating.

At least that was the plan before the plague. The plan was rallies and a propaganda tidal wave. They were going to start this week. It's on hold because, at least for now, it would make him look even worse.
Last edited by late on 14 Mar 2020 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
#15075284
blackjack21 wrote:Trump also quarantined people returning. Italy didn't quarantine anyone until much later.

The fact of the matter is that the disease spread very quickly in Italy, whereas in the US it has been much slower. We have also cut off Europe as an infection vector now too.


- Italy started quarantining people returning the moment it stopped the regular flights, just like the US. Do you check that stuff or pull it out of your ass?
- The virus already spread in Italy in mid-January. I don't see anything out of the ordinary Trump did that prevented an earlier spread in the US.
#15075316
I wonder how much cultural idiosyncrasies played a part in Italy's trouble. Stereotypically Italians are very physically friendly, airkissing and all that. Yanks are a bit more standoff-ish as far as exchanging bodily fluids with strangers goes.
#15075317
SolarCross wrote:I wonder how much cultural idiosyncrasies played a part in Italy's trouble. Stereotypically Italians are very physically friendly, airkissing and all that. Yanks are a bit more standooff-ish as far as exchanging bodily fluids with strangers.


True, there is also the fact that American towns and cities are far less dense than the typical European (or Asian) cities. I live in one of the more dense parts of Austin, yet i have to walk a few hundred feet to get to any of my neighbors front door. Americans like their space.
#15075319
Rancid wrote:True, there is also the fact that American towns and cities are far less dense than the typical European (or Asian) cities. I live in one of the more dense parts of Austin, yet i have to walk a few hundred feet to get to any of my neighbors front door. Americans like their space.

You have more space to like too. Europe and East Asia have been filling up with people for thousands of years.

----

Another thought on the cultural idiosyncracies: besides the Italians the Iranians are taking a hammering too. You might not think of Iranians as prone to licking each other because of the whole muslim thing but I can tell you as someone who lived there that although it is strictly forbidden to slobber on the women the men are exceedingly prone to kissing each other as a greeting. As a Brit I always found it rather startling and uncomfortable because to me it seems a bit gay and also unhygienic. It isn't seen as gay there of course.
#15075322
I once attended a psychology lecture where the lecturer asserted that, except for a few years around university years, most people supported the same party that their parents supported. They changed if and only if their party caused a huge emotional impact upon them. Death of a family member, I imagine, would qualify.
#15075326
Stormsmith wrote:
I once attended a psychology lecture where the lecturer asserted that, except for a few years around university years, most people supported the same party that their parents supported. They changed if and only if their party caused a huge emotional impact upon them. Death of a family member, I imagine, would qualify.



That's true, but things change. My family was all Republican. But I became aware of politics during the Nixon years, and kids, he was corrupt and venal and a few other nasty things.
#15075332
True, but look how locked in President Trump's base is. You, sir, are possibly the exception to the rule as it was at that time. Then, America was fairly isolated. Canadians, by contrast, saw a little more simply by having full access to your three major tv net works and some to British telly. Today, Americans are having a larger world view via the internet. You can compare and contrast a little more.

Exposing mass surveillance on yer fellow 'Mericans[…]

Conflict in the USA?

In a major speech delivered yesterday on behalf[…]

...in the bushes outside your window. You gon[…]

@Sivad , why aren't you responding with your stee[…]