Virus Hysteria For Morons - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Warning: This is mostly venting. One reason I like POFO is I come here sometimes to blow off steam. Most likely it has saved my marriage.

I am 75 years old and live in SW Florida. I go jogging most evenings on a sports complex consisting of 3 baseball fields. This evening I was doing my usual jog on the middle field. An old man jogging around a baseball field with nobody in sight for a few hundred yards. I do 7 laps. During lap #4 I hear, "Sir! Sir!". A police woman with a gun ran after me and evicted me from the field because of the virus. I asked her if this was the most important thing she had to do and she said she would fine me if I didn't obey orders. A chain link fence circles the field. I continued my jog on the other side of the fence about 3 feet away from where I had been jogging. :?:

Please feel free to describe here any moronic virus events you may have experienced in North America.
Go away Donna. For the older people who are already socially isolated you cannot keep them indoors 24/7 without fresh air and exercise :|
ness31 wrote:Go away Donna. For the older people who are already socially isolated you cannot keep them indoors 24/7 without fresh air and exercise :|

We are facing the most serious crisis since the Second World War, whatever happened to a bit of sacrifice?
...“whatever happened to a bit of self sacrifice” said the CCP as they were welding shut the doors of entire apartment blocks in Wuhan :roll:
Being outdoors away from people, jogging, is self-isolating.

I self-isolate by going for a motorbike ride.
jimjam wrote:
Please feel free to describe here any moronic virus events you may have experienced in North America.

My sister who is a bit younger than me had a panic attack over this stupid shit. She texted us only after she got back from the ER yesterday. She was telling me that she wants to quit her job (she has a good job) because she feels that her employer is not adequately protecting their employees from the virus.

One of my co-workers who got furloughed called me complaining about the coronavirus and told me that he doesn't leave the house and makes his wife go out for everything. He sits at home, presumably paralyzed with fear watching the news fear monger about the end of the world.

We have allegedly had 1 (one) coronavirus death in our county Since March 6.

It's really sad and scary. It's like the invasion of the body snatchers out here.
On Monday night, three police cars sat outside a CVS in northwest Washington, lights flashing, while officers stood in the doorway of the drugstore, watching the unboxing of a delivery of Cottonelle.

The mood among shoppers was calm enough, even collegial. There were maybe 20, and they took the goods directly from the deliverymen. “There’s no Charmin!” one said. Another shopper — my father — thought to himself, “Lady, it’s only toilet paper.”
maz wrote:My sister who is a bit younger than me had a panic attack over this stupid shit. She texted us only after she got back from the ER yesterday.

Yeah, my roomie had a panic attack last night too. She's completely freaked out. I've worked at home since 2012, so not much has changed for me except that I go to Safeway now, because I'm not going to stand in line to go in to Winco. That, and I make big pots of minestrone so I can have a quick hot lunch and don't have to leave the house. I also go to the houseboat and watch a bit of TV there so I can get away from the roomie driving me crazy with her week long freak out.

jimjam wrote:“There’s no Charmin!” one said. Another shopper — my father — thought to himself, “Lady, it’s only toilet paper.”

That's a real thing jimjam. I thought the panic buying of toilet paper was ridiculous weeks ago, but when I was down to my last two rolls, I had to buy the Costco brand instead of Charmin. My bourgeois ass knows the difference. :lol: I'll get through it though.
By late
jimjam wrote:
On Monday night, three police cars sat outside a CVS in northwest Washington, lights flashing, while officers stood in the doorway of the drugstore, watching the unboxing of a delivery of Cottonelle.

The mood among shoppers was calm enough, even collegial. There were maybe 20, and they took the goods directly from the deliverymen. “There’s no Charmin!” one said. Another shopper — my father — thought to himself, “Lady, it’s only toilet paper.”

I just don't get the toilet paper panic.

Long time ago, one of my co-workers was a super shopper. He'd show up at a big box store armed with coupons, his cellar was filled with freezers and shelves of toilet paper, paper towels, pasta, you name it.

Then his cellar flooded.
I can understand the hysteria. All the major news is about deaths, more cases, emergency plans and hoarding.

I am home from work due to the hysteria. I do not want to scare people with my dry, wheezing cough that set on this morning around 6:30. Yesterday afternoon I had no cough and I was cheerful. I left work around 8:30 am. I will rest this weekend and see if I should go to work on Monday.

I do think it is okay to jog outside. People are walking in my neighborhood with dogs and kids.

I was thinking of checking Walmart and Amazon for toilet paper.
The Maltese government has decided to put all us over 65's, well or not, into quarantine tomorrow with a maximum 10,000 Euro fine for breaking it. I am housebound so my wife has spent most of the day buying essential supplies and getting funds out of the bank - A government enforced 500 Euro minimum withdrawal. We will have to have all our groceries and medicines delivered by the army and pay cash at the door.

The government has warned us old people with all that money in the house to expect a rise in criminality and lock our doors.
Last edited by ingliz on 27 Mar 2020 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
By late
MistyTiger wrote:

I do think it is okay to jog outside. People are walking in my neighborhood with dogs and kids.

I have had a number of diseases that attack the lungs, bronchitis, pneumonia, wait for the cough to clear up before you go jogging. If you are sick with the virus, it could make matters worse.

I suspect I am getting over a mild case of Corona, and not the fun type that involves bottle openers.
blackjack21 wrote:That's a real thing jimjam. I thought the panic buying of toilet paper was ridiculous weeks ago, but when I was down to my last two rolls, I had to buy the Costco brand instead of Charmin. My bourgeois ass knows the difference. I'll get through it though.

My wife located some 1-ply. My college degree in economics helped me out, however. I simply double it over and get a faux 2-ply :eek: .
Donna wrote:Can you share your recipe?

Chef John's Minestrone Soup

I started with this as a base.

Done it a number of times, and have modified a bit.

1) Nixed the Swiss chard.
2) Use chicken stock in lieu of water for added flavor.
3) Never used cranberry beans. So I used white/northern beans instead.
4) Added kidney beans

Got a feel for it, and now just make it on feel. My latest batch doesn't have quite enough salt and spice, but it's easy to add. Really super convenient. Trader Joe's Italian baguettes with butter make it very close to an Italian restaurant experience.

It's better on day 2. It thickens up as the proteins from the beans leech into the broth and it thickens up.

jimjam wrote:My wife located some 1-ply. My college degree in economics helped me out, however. I simply double it over and get a faux 2-ply :eek: .

Yeah, my roomie went to a janitorial supply warehouse to get the rolls you get in office buildings, airports, etc.--even after I got the big batch from Costco. I explained how ludicrous panic buying was beforehand, and she went and did it anyway.
late wrote:I have had a number of diseases that attack the lungs, bronchitis, pneumonia, wait for the cough to clear up before you go jogging. If you are sick with the virus, it could make matters worse.

I suspect I am getting over a mild case of Corona, and not the fun type that involves bottle openers.

I have had bronchitis once or twice. I ran less than usual today. I really just wanted to work up a sweat and improve my circulation.

I have no fever just this annoying cough. I hope it is gone by Monday.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

As predicted, the hasbara troll couldn't quote me […]

...Gaza could become a tourist attraction if the […]

The importance of out-breeding

DOG BREEDING https://external-content.[…]

Who needs a wall? We have all those land mines ju[…]