Justice Done to White Supremacist Murderer - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
U.S. executes convicted killer for first time in 17 years

The U.S. government on Tuesday carried out the first federal execution in almost two decades, putting to death a man who killed an Arkansas family in a 1990s in a plot to build a whites-only nation in the Pacific Northwest.

Daniel Lewis Lee, 47, of Yukon, Oklahoma, died by lethal injection at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana.

“I didn’t do it,” Lee said just before he was executed. “I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I’m not a murderer. … You’re killing an innocent man.”

Lee’s death Tuesday came a day after a federal judge halted the first federal execution in 17 years just hours before it was scheduled to take place.

Citing the potential pain inflicted by the lethal injection cocktail, U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan stopped the scheduled execution of Daniel Lewis Lee, a former white supremacist who murdered an Alabama gun dealer, his wife and their 8-year-old daughter in 1996.

The Justice Department immediately filed a notice with the court saying it intends to appeal Judge Chutkan’s ruling.

Government lawyers called Judge Chutkan’s ruling “inappropriate,” saying it “conflicts with binding Supreme Court precedent.”

In her ruling, Judge Chutkan scolded the Trump administration, accusing the president’s team of rushing the execution process and preventing inmates from fully litigating their appeals.

Inmates and others on their behalf have filed multiple legal challenges to the executions, ranging from fears of traveling to a prison amid the coronavirus pandemic to claims the drugs used in lethal injection violate the Constitution’s ban on “cruel and unusual” punishments.

“The succession of last-minute rulings is the result of the Government’s decision to set short execution dates even as many claims, including those addressed here, were pending,” Judge Chutkan wrote. “The Government is entitled to choose dates, but the court cannot take shortcuts in its obligations in order to accommodate those dates.”

“The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them.”

—Lois McMaster Bujold
@Doug64

I completely agree with you Doug. I think in some cases the death penalty is warranted. The death penalty is there for a deterrence factor though some argue the death penalty doesn't provide deterrence, I disagree with them. I have little sympathy for most people convicted of murder and feel that the appropriate penalty for the crime of murder is death in return. That'll make people think twice before committing that particular crime. Carrying out the death penalty is part of upholding the law, keeping society safe, secure and ensuring the constitutional rights of our citizens are protected from criminals who might commit or consider such a serious crime.
@Politics_Observer I’m not so concerned with the deterrence effect, beyond the fact that an executed convict will never again inflict harm on either civilians or fellow convicts. But deterrence is generally a reason for making a punishment harsher than justice strictly calls for, and we don’t (and shouldn’t) have a penalty harsher than death. There are simply some offenses so terrible that respect for the humanity of the victims requires nothing less. Note that all of the Federal convicts currently slated for executions are, among other things, guilty of the murder of children.
Politics_Observer wrote: keeping society safe [and] secure

That is all well and good unless you are the 1 in 25 wrongfully convicted of a capital crime.

In 2014, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America found that 4.1% of those sentenced to death were innocent.

p.s. Being a typical commie, gulags and all that, I believe life imprisonment with hard labour is punishment enough and serves society better.

:)
@ingliz

Two problems with using your study to advocate against the death penalty. First, the defendants in question were exonerated, so in their cases the system worked. Second, the study goes back to 1973, and the science has greatly improved since then. In fact, that improved science is the reason for many of the exonerations—which means the possibility of a wrongful initial conviction in current cases has dropped as well.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]