Paying My Respects to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15121288
If the Republicans do get an appointment through before the election and Biden chokes during the debates, the left will probably become super demoralized


Showing to all the world just how dishonest the entire republican party is. You know the one. The one that held up Obama's appointment for over a year.

Pathetic Russian Troll.

But then I'll bet Trump has already called Putin to see who the nominee is going to be.
#15121294
Another thing about the demoralization. After all of the riots and looting that have already happened, plus COVID lockdowns, I think normal people are definitely not going to be OK with "shutting down the country" over the Supreme Court.
#15121295
A woman with whom I had little political agreement with, but a classy lady who didn't let differences in political philosophy get in the way of her relationships--she was a close personal friend of Scalia, after all. I imagine he was waiting for her.

Julian658 wrote:When she was nominated for the lower court the Democrat senators felt that she may be unqualified for being a judge because she is a Roman Catholic. That is the authoritarian tendency of the left.

If Trump and the Republicans do push for a vote before the election, and if she's the nominee, it'll be interesting to see Democrats try to explain their anti-Catholic bigotry with an ostensible Catholic as their presidential candidate.
#15121298
Doug64 wrote:A woman with whom I had little political agreement with, but a classy lady who didn't let differences in political philosophy get in the way of her relationships--she was a close personal friend of Scalia, after all. I imagine he was waiting for her.


If Trump and the Republicans do push for a vote before the election, and if she's the nominee, it'll be interesting to see Democrats try to explain their anti-Catholic bigotry with an ostensible Catholic as their presidential candidate.

Nice take. I've been reading that Biden is already struggling with Catholics. Going nuts on another Catholic SCOTUS pick would presumably hurt him there even more.
#15121300
Here's President Trump's reaction on hearing of Justice Ginsburg's death:

Trump calls Ginsburg an 'amazing woman,' learns of her death after campaign speech

    President Trump called the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “an amazing woman” Friday night and had no immediate comment on filling the vacancy on the high court.

    The president learned of Justice Ginsburg’s death after speaking at a campaign rally in Minnesota.

    “She just died? Wow. I didn’t know that. You’re telling me that for the first time,” he told reporters before boarding Air Force One at the rally site. “She led an amazing life, what else can you say? She was an amazing woman. Whether you agree or not, she led an amazing life. I am sad to hear that.”

    She was 87 years old.
#15121306
Ginsberg was certainly a deep thinker, but too much of an advocate on the bench for my taste. However, she did get a lot of things right. The recent
United States v. Sineneng-Smith is an example, along with the 44 9-0 smackdowns of the Obama administration. It's a real loss for the left, as Kagan, Sotomayor, and Brier are nowhere near her caliber.

Rancid wrote:Alright, let's roll back civil rights, roll back worker rights. The future is bright.

You know the Democrats are passionate about illegal immigration and outsourcing. Joe Biden is China's pick for the White House, because he's friendly toward outsourcing. I fail to see where Democrat court appointees have been a beacon for workers rights over the last 30 years.

Wulfschilde wrote:Another thing about the demoralization. After all of the riots and looting that have already happened, plus COVID lockdowns, I think normal people are definitely not going to be OK with "shutting down the country" over the Supreme Court.

Well, this is certainly another situation where the leftists will lose their minds, and perhaps turn to even more violence. Two years of Nancy Pelosi's rule have shown how little she gets done and how much trouble she causes.

Doug64 wrote:If Trump and the Republicans do push for a vote before the election, and if she's the nominee, it'll be interesting to see Democrats try to explain their anti-Catholic bigotry with an ostensible Catholic as their presidential candidate.

Indeed. However, there are a lot of Catholics on the court. Whatever happened to protestant jurists?

jimjam wrote:This event will add fuel to the hatred, chaos and fear that already grips the land.

Thankfully, it grips the land where the Democrats are prevalent for the most part, and leaves the rest of us alone.
#15121308
Wulfschilde wrote:Another thing about the demoralization. After all of the riots and looting that have already happened, plus COVID lockdowns, I think normal people are definitely not going to be OK with "shutting down the country" over the Supreme Court.


Why? What will they miss?
#15121311
Gorsuch straight up ruled against a dude for refusing to freeze to death in his big rig truck because it broke down during a delivery. But apparently he really is a contractual literalist, since he expanded the law to include gender and sexuality under discrimination of sex.

They made sure not to fuck it up again by getting a drunken, rapist gambling addict who they likely have tons of dirt on for the next nominee.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 25

@Oxymoron Can you provide an example of a vacc[…]

Everything is fragile

I watched the first 2 episodes last night. It's[…]

So my girlfriend got the disease and I'm waiting f[…]