Will Trump be remembered in History? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:Where?

You know drone strikes have INCREASED under Trump's rule, right? Where's the peace?

Trump’s Drone Surge
In one respect, President Trump has no doubt kept his word. Trump promised during the campaign to “bomb the shit” out of ISIS and it appears to be one of the few promises he has kept. Trump inherited from Obama an escalating war against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, but both conventional bombing and drone strikes have significantly increased under Trump as a result of his new ISIS battle plan, whose strategy Defense Secretary James Mattis defines as “annihilation tactics.” According to Newsweek, the United States under Trump has dropped a record number of bombs on the Middle East, roughly 10 percent more than under his predecessors. Trump also loosened rules of engagement that protect civilians and, unsurprisingly, civilian casualties from the US-led war against ISIS will, at this pace, double under Trump.
https://merip.org/2018/02/trumps-drone-surge/

Where has Trump stopped fighting a war? Are troops still in Afghanistan? Has he abandoned allies(i.e. Kurds)?

US troops are still in Iraq, incidentally...

Trump will be remembered as the worst sitting President that the USA has had in a very long time.

Israel and Arab peace deals. End of ISIS. Our troops being drawn down from both Iraq and Afghanistan.
No entanglements in Syria or anywhere else for that matter.
Drones killing bad guys is not a bad thing.
Kurds are not our priority, nor anyone else's it seems.
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:I think Yes, the Showmaster who turned the Presidency in a reality show.

Father of Twitter Diplomacy.

But many Roman Emperors is remembered. Which are teached in School in 2000 Years:

A Billionaire who became President, under his rule was peace and prosperity... No he will be remembered as funny president.

Obama corruptly used the system to attack his political rivals

Trump if not broke the system put a giant spot lite on it. Trump also broke the media.

Democrats can not accomplish anything unless they lie rig or game the system.
I love the anti-war republican shtick. Ending the war they started.... :roll:

Anyway, to answer the question. yes, he will be remembered, much more like Nixon, than say Lincoln.
Beren wrote:No, no, you're just fixated on the Russians a bit. ;)

Oh, I agree but …… they are a big player and, to me, a rather fascinating culture.

As an aside, I once went jogging in Red Square wearing a BSA motorcycle t shirt showing crossed American and British flags …… not too smart.
jimjam wrote:Oh, I agree but …… they are a big player and, to me, a rather fascinating culture.

As an aside, I once went jogging in Red Square wearing a BSA motorcycle t shirt showing crossed American and British flags …… not too smart.

Did you mean to provoke them? :lol:
Beren wrote:Did you mean to provoke them? :lol:

No, I was just a dumb kid (20's) trying to be cool. The DID search my room.
I'm baffled because I want to know why anyone thinks that a single-term president will be remembered more fondly than 2 term contenders.

The American people vote based on the performance of the incumbent administration. DT lost because his performance was trash. He will be remembered as such.
Panther wrote:I'm baffled because I want to know why anyone thinks that a single-term president will be remembered more fondly than 2 term contenders.

The American people vote based on the performance of the incumbent administration. DT lost because his performance was trash. He will be remembered as such.

Indeed. One term Presidents are usually looked down on.
Beren wrote:He was awful, he may have been even worse than Trump, but he was a rather traditional candidate from a well-established political dynasty.

I consider Trump to be worse. Bush Jr at least stuck more closely to what his speechwriters and aides told him to say. Although, Bush was the bigger war monger and he was fixated on fighting terror. Trump fights anyone like a rabid dog.

I do feel like Bush has a better personality. There are moments where I feel I can relate to him. He had a daily run routine when he was in office. I do not even want to relate to Trump, dude needs to be on sedatives.
I think Trump will be remembered as the worst U.S. President in American history. I really mean that.

@MistyTiger

I think Bush was a good man who was inexperienced when he came into office and was manipulated by Dick Cheny. Hence, why we had the invasion of Iraq which I regard as a mistake and a strategic error. I think once Bush saw the realities of war and the consequences some of his decisions can have it shook him up a little bit and gave him a reality check (he least had empathy and a conscious whereas Trump does not have any empathy for anybody nor a conscious). It also made him more mature and a better leader. He wasn't as easy to manipulate either afterwards. He had got some good generals later on during the Iraq war who really saved his bacon and the bacon of our troops and our bacon as a country in Iraq during that time.
Panther wrote:I'm baffled because I want to know why anyone thinks that a single-term president will be remembered more fondly than 2 term contenders.

Because things change, that's why.

And Republican Tribalism has become stronger and more intense than ever in the past. Also technically George H.W. Bush well that was technically the third term of the singular Reagan-Bush Republican Administration.

Also even though Trump lost, he received the most votes ever for an incumbent president regardless of losing.
Random American wrote:Indeed. One term Presidents are usually looked down on.

Jimmy Carter's administration might be looked down on, but his subsequent work has garnered him a better reputation.
@colliric

colliric wrote:And Republican Tribalism has become stronger and more intense than ever in the past.

And that "tribalism" ie cult mentality, didn't win the White House for the Republicans. If anything it strengthened turnout against Donald Trump. Donald Trump got more votes this election than his last election in 2016. However, it didn't matter because that "tribalism" spurned out such a voter turn out against Donald Trump that he got out-voted anyway regardless. By a long shot too I might add. It seems that the more tribal Donald Trump and his followers became the more people came out in opposition to Trump and his followers. Maybe "tribalism" isn't the answer for republicans, Donald Trump and his followers.
colliric wrote:You guys have been waging this Republicans VS Democrats war since Lincoln won and it began as a hot war.

They even swapped places in the 1960s, and it still didn't do any good. :roll:
@colliric @Potemkin

The hot war was about race and whether the institutions of white supremacy should be preserved. The North (ie liberals who were republicans during that time but are the democrats today) won the hot war but the right wing (the democrats at that time which are the republicans today) won the cold war afterwards (ie Reconstruction). The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"For generations the American people have been abused by big pharma and their army of lawyers, lobbyists, and bought and paid for politicians" - President Donald Trump from the White House Press Room

When's the last time you heard a POTUS say something like that?
colliric wrote:Jimmy Carter's administration might be looked down on, but his subsequent work has garnered him a better reputation.

What will Trump do? Make stupid comments and insult people? That's not going to get him the respect of Jimmy Carter except amongst the morons in my country.
Politics_Observer wrote:I think Trump will be remembered as the worst U.S. President in American history. I really mean that.

That's really making a case. It's not a personality contest just because he hurt people feelings. Which modern day president has had more political courage?

He exposed how corrupt the system really is verses Obama who used the system to do corrupt things.

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]