Malcom X murder: accused receive $36 million compensation - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/10/ ... eceive-36m

The two men whose convictions for the 1965 assassination of Malcolm X were overturned last year will receive $36m from the city and state of New York, their lawyer confirmed. [...]

They were released in the mid-1980s, but it was not until November 2021 that their names were fully cleared by the New York State Supreme Court, which called their convictions almost a half-century ago “a failure of justice”. [...]

He confirmed a report from the New York Times that the city of New York will pay $26m to be split between 84-year-old Aziz and the family of Islam.

The state government of New York will also pay five million dollars each, for a total of $36m in compensation. [...]

For more than half a century, the official record held that three members of the Black nationalist group Nation of Islam – which Malcolm X had recently renounced – shot the iconic 39-year-old leader in front of his wife and children when he arrived to speak at the podium of a Harlem ballroom.

A man with a sawn-off shotgun rushed the stage and shot Malcolm once in the chest. Two others with semi-automatic pistols charged forwards, firing at him. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital with 21 gunshot wounds.

His funeral in Harlem was attended by leading Black civil rights leaders and as many as 30,000 mourners in the streets.

Aziz, Islam and a third man, Mujahid Abdul Halim, were convicted in 1966 – but historians had long cast doubt on that thesis.

Abdul Halim – now 81 and released from prison in 2010 – confessed to the murder but maintained the innocence of the other two.

I am honestly lost for words. Spending 20 years in prison for a crime you didnt commit. Whow.
I never knew any of the details of his murder oe those trials.

These details seem contradictory. Did they arrest the 3 of them at the scene?
If 3 rushed forward and shot him, then the bullets would confirm if any came from a pistol.
It seems unlikely that they escaped the scene and were picked up later. What evidence if this was the case convicted them?.

I know. I quoted that bit too. If you read my pos[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]