Jon Talks White Resentment with Isabel Wilkerson - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
We have a caste system.

Takes too long to explain, and, as I am sure you have noticed, most Americans spend a lot of their time dodging reality.

It's funny, I've been thinking of starting a thread, explaining the difference between the two Right wing groups meeting this weekend, CPAC and Club for Growth.

CPAC is the Trump crowd, MAGA, or as I like to call them, the Cult of Death.

The Club for Growth is Koch. Koch is oil money. They have an economist guru (kook) who is from the South and thinks slavery is the natural state of affairs. Koch has been deliberately undermining the American people since the 1980s.

So you get roughly the same idea, lowering the status of some Americans, from both groups. But the racism of the MAGA kooks gets broadened into the medieval aristocracy that the Koch crowd wants to bring back.

There's your caste system in action...
late wrote:We have a caste system.

Takes too long to explain, and, as I am sure you have noticed, most Americans spend a lot of their time dodging reality.

It's funny, I've been thinking of starting a thread, explaining the difference between the two Right wing groups meeting this weekend, CPAC and Club for Growth.

CPAC is the Trump crowd, MAGA, or as I like to call them, the Cult of Death.

The Club for Growth is Koch. Koch is oil money. They have an economist guru (kook) who is from the South and thinks slavery is the natural state of affairs. Koch has been deliberately undermining the American people since the 1980s.

So you get roughly the same idea, lowering the status of some Americans, from both groups. But the racism of the MAGA kooks gets broadened into the medieval aristocracy that the Koch crowd wants to bring back.

There's your caste system in action...

Most Americans get crappy educations. But the histories of lower caste people is basically silenced and ignored.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Can you summarize? What is white resentment?

I did not watch the video, but from reading some articles written by Ms. Wilkerson, white resentment seems to be the backlash that occurs whenever non-whites make significant strides towards equality in the USA.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I did not watch the video, but from reading some articles written by Ms. Wilkerson, white resentment seems to be the backlash that occurs whenever non-whites make significant strides towards equality in the USA.

You mean like voting for Donnie the conman immediately after having an African American president? That kind of resentment?
Unthinking Majority wrote:Can you summarize? What is white resentment?

You should cue it up at 4:00 minutes. Jon Stewart states that he read that the Nazis found the USA Jim Crow system of segregation too severe. When they were dreaming up their plan to subordinate the Jews and others during the ethnic and racial cleansing campaign they had planned doing in Germany and other nations they conquered.

She talks about how in Alabama? It was illegal for a white and black person to play checkers together. That was how stupid those laws were.

It wasn't just about not marrying people from a different ethnic background than yourself it was not being able to share water, food, restaurants, movie theaters, buses, hotels, motels, neighborhoods, churches, and many times even stores would prohibit Black people from buying and coming in from the stores' front door. You had to go to the back door. Shame of who they were was endemic to the Jim Crow laws. Got to let them know they are INFERIOR.

There were successful black and separate towns with their own prosperous businesses, banks, stores, etc. But if they became too successful they were burned down and like the Tulsa Oklahoma Massacre and burning of hundreds of homes and businesses and mass killings and so on? All because the whites were threatened by Black success. The Blacks were following the same formula as the whites. They had nothing left of their African spoken languages, religions, or habits. After all the people they were serving pre 1865 were white Southern families. So white Southern culture was the one they followed. The reasoning behind killing off that type of success was it negated the white excuses for why Black people were could not be successful. They are inferior in intellect, and in work ethic and in achievement. If they were at the point of doing even better than the whites? That meant they were wrong about them. All this time. And what they did to them was unforgivable and it is also the cause of violence and resentment. After all? Who were the white people who were racists?
White Resentment in action:

It is like what Toni Morrison stated.....in this clip? White people got a serious problem. If the only way you can feel good about yourself is that everyone else has to be on their knees? You got a serious problem. If you take their race away (the supposedly superior race)? Then what do they have left? To feel good about who they are as individuals?

Many of the poorest of the white Southern farmers and so on, felt that if a Black man or woman was more successful materially and economically speaking than they were? How low were they in the grand scheme of caste systems? The lowest of the low. It breeds resentment.

She is right. Got to leave the Black people out of that resentment. Solve it by changing your attitudes and mind. But the Black people can't do it for you.
Last edited by Tainari88 on 04 Mar 2023 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
Tainari88 wrote:You mean like voting for Donnie the conman immediately after having an African American president? That kind of resentment?

Yes, it seems to encompass that, as well as the Civil war, Jim Crow laws, the current wave of censorship in Florida, and many other instances where white people have tried to reverse gains made by non-whites in the caste system.

It seems to be a pretty dependable historical phenomenon. It certainly helps to have a new buzzword made up for this dynamic if we are going to discuss this dynamic at length.
wat0n wrote:Well, one may first wonder if that dynamic is indeed there.

Last time I checked, the narrative was that no real progress has been made to improve the lives of BIPOC. But now it turns out progress has, in fact, been made.

So, which one is it?

In some aspects yes and in other aspects no. That is very common in the world. 2 steps forward and one step back.

But, mostly according to The Problem program on Apple TV with Jon Stewart the problem with white people is that they never listen and keep denying reality. Why does that remind me of your style @wat0n? :lol:

You explain what the issue is and the white people say, is that true? It can't be true....lol.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, it seems to encompass that, as well as the Civil war, Jim Crow laws, the current wave of censorship in Florida, and many other instances where white people have tried to reverse gains made by non-whites in the caste system.

It seems to be a pretty dependable historical phenomenon. It certainly helps to have a new buzzword made up for this dynamic if we are going to discuss this dynamic at length.

One new word was 'white fragility'.

Here is Robin DeAngelis on that buzzword.

Tainari88 wrote:You should cue it up at 4:00 minutes. Jon Stewart states that he read that the Nazis found the USA Jim Crow system of segregation too severe. When they were dreaming up their plan to subordinate the Jews and others during the ethnic and racial cleansing campaign they had planned doing in Germany and other nations they conquered.

That was initially at least. The original plan for the Jews wasn't to exterminate them, it was to displace them outside of Germany and other areas they wanted to have right control over (Poalnd and Ukraine in particular which had a shit ton of jews). However, somewhere along the line, they realize it was easier to just kill as many of them as possible while trying to extract labor from them as well.

Anyway, I'm sure white resentment exists to some degree. Some of that I'm sure has given rise to the MAGA movement. People within the MAGA world are generally entitled brats. I'm sure successful non-MAGA/non-white people make them feel bad about themselves, so they build up resentment.

Anyway, some of the stuff I've read about Robin DiAngelo makes her seem weird as shit to me. That white fragility stuff is kind of weird to me.
Tainari88 wrote:In some aspects yes and in other aspects no. That is very common in the world. 2 steps forward and one step back.

That's not what the left has been saying for several years now. Their narrative is that no improvement has been made whatsoever, and that systemic racism is still ongoing.

Maybe you should bring that to your leftist buddies? They were even saying that not toeing to this line was itself racist.

Tainari88 wrote:But, mostly according to The Problem program on Apple TV with Jon Stewart the problem with white people is that they never listen and keep denying reality. Why does that remind me of your style @wat0n? :lol:

You explain what the issue is and the white people say, is that true? It can't be true....lol.

Funny coming from people delusional enough to see Cuba as an example of anything.

What makes you believe you understand reality? You don't.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I did not watch the video, but from reading some articles written by Ms. Wilkerson, white resentment seems to be the backlash that occurs whenever non-whites make significant strides towards equality in the USA.

Maybe. I can't seem to find a clear definition on Google. I did find this on Wikipedia which seems related:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_b ... 0dominance.
wat0n wrote:That's not what the left has been saying for several years now. Their narrative is that no improvement has been made whatsoever, and that systemic racism is still ongoing.

Maybe you should bring that to your leftist buddies? They were even saying that not toeing to this line was itself racist.

Funny coming from people delusional enough to see Cuba as an example of anything.

What makes you believe you understand reality? You don't.

You have zero sense of humour and are boring too...come on now...that Jon Stewart clip was funny. :lol:

@wat0n you are uptight and pissed off most of the time.

It is not my fault the truth hurts for you....got to get over yourself thinking you are not transparent with your insecurities.

Get over yourself. The thread is about Jon talks white resentment.

The script is not about conventional white resentment problems. It is about people who can't take criticism about their ideas about what the US government is about....it is about a bunch of lies about what racism actually is. Racism is about denial.

And you got that illness bad. No lo tomes en serio sin verguenza. :lol:
late wrote:We have a caste system.

You mean like a racial caste system? So like a racial and/or ethnic hierarchy?

At a general level I think this is true, and some in the dominant race/ethnicity may support this more than others, and some not at all. This exists in virtually every country including the US. A sort of spin on cultural hegemony but extended to race/ethnicity.

Group identity is a powerful political force that often creates schisms between groups within the same polity. USA, Canada (anglos vs french vs indigenous vs POC ethnicities), Britain (catholic vs protestant, English vs Scottish vs Irish etc), France (white vs arab/Muslim etc), middle-eastern nations (Sunni vs Shia vs Kurds vs Christians vs Jews etc), India, China, much of subsaharan Africa (ie: Rwanda) there are so many examples.

Dominant groups tend to make policies that benefit themselves more than other groups, whether conscious or unknowingly, so the tension starts.
Tainari88 wrote:You mean like voting for Donnie the conman immediately after having an African American president? That kind of resentment?

Notice that when Obama was elected Don-Don went right for the birth certificate thing. I think for Trump that probably had more to do with anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant sentiments than anti-black
Rancid wrote:That was initially at least. The original plan for the Jews wasn't to exterminate them, it was to displace them outside of Germany and other areas they wanted to have right control over (Poalnd and Ukraine in particular which had a shit ton of jews). However, somewhere along the line, they realize it was easier to just kill as many of them as possible while trying to extract labor from them as well.

Anyway, I'm sure white resentment exists to some degree. Some of that I'm sure has given rise to the MAGA movement. People within the MAGA world are generally entitled brats. I'm sure successful non-MAGA/non-white people make them feel bad about themselves, so they build up resentment.

Anyway, some of the stuff I've read about Robin DiAngelo makes her seem weird as shit to me. That white fragility stuff is kind of weird to me.

It is like the Latinx crowd. They think by finding some new language shift word they are going to be making progress with racism.

I think the best idea of being able to get over the racist mindset is Erich Fromm's explanations of what being in a dream state is versus a state of awakeness. One is about universal and creative symbolic human language and the other is what you are socially conditioned to think or act like. And all of us humans have very universal dream states.

It is interesting.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Notice that when Obama was elected Don-Don went right for the birth certificate thing. I think for Trump that probably had more to do with anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant sentiments than anti-black

It fits the profile the birther thing. Black people aren't 'real Americans'. Real Americans for the Donald Trumps of the world are of European background. The Blacks were not the ones who built the nation up. The reality is that whatever is the truth the racist will make it the opposite. Slaves built the White House literally physically built it. And also the US's industrial revolution in the 19th century. But if you built it they will say you did not. It was all the work of some brilliant superior white men with property. They discovered the land. Because the Native Americans were just hanging around for thousands of years waiting for the Mayflower to show up. Undiscovered. By them. Since the Indians weren't humans.

The constitution actually states Indians are not really humans and Africans were 3/5ths of human beings. Or human beings... You need two Indians to make one human being that is a white human being. That is how crazy that racism illness is. It is there in the constitution.

If the ICC finds that high ranking Israeli and IDF[…]

If your argument centers around not believing in […]

https://i.ibb.co/Bs37t8b/canvas-moral[…]

I was being sarcastic, @FiveofSwords . Hitler wa[…]