Philippine President says its time for China to say goodbye to US ties - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Philippine President says its time for China to say goodbye to US ties

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said it was "time to say goodbye" to the US during a visit to China on Wednesday, as the combative leader reconfigures his country's diplomatic alliances.

During a speech addressing the Filipino community in Beijing, the firebrand president said the Philippines had gained little from its long alliance with the US, its former colonial ruler.
I would have been against this at one point but increasingly, I fail to see how the US can be viewed as compatible with an east Asian country. Obama thinks he can dictate Duterte's military and legal policy to him, he should probably ask himself how things have gotten worse under his watch in the United States before he starts lecturing others.

In a decade or two Japan is going to re-militarize, probably leaving only South Korea and Taiwan as points for US influence in east Asia. Taiwan is the most obvious focal point regarding China but I think an honest assessment is that South Korea is more powerful and important (it actually has US military bases, whereas Taiwan only has a vague treaty), developments re: North Korea will probably make it a bigger deal out of the two.
Donald wrote:He's shifting his country's alignment like a total amateur and in a way that will allow both the Chinese and the West to impede on the interests of the Philippines. I think he is going to ruin his country in the long run.

I don't see any benefits to US/Philippines relations, at least US won't give them any money, so it's good for both sides.
Tewodros III wrote:I don't see any benefits to US/Philippines relations, at least US won't give them any money, so it's good for both sides.

The Philippines depends on the US to assert its territorial claims in South China Sea. Duterte is an idiot if he thinks being buddy-buddy with China means they won't pursue their regional designs.

With that being said, every Filipino expat that I know dislikes or despises him as cruel and un-compassionate.
Hong Wu wrote:I would have been against this at one point but increasingly, I fail to see how the US can be viewed as compatible with an east Asian country. Obama thinks he can dictate Duterte's military and legal policy to him, he should probably ask himself how things have gotten worse under his watch in the United States before he starts lecturing others.

In a decade or two Japan is going to re-militarize, probably leaving only South Korea and Taiwan as points for US influence in east Asia. Taiwan is the most obvious focal point regarding China but I think an honest assessment is that South Korea is more powerful and important (it actually has US military bases, whereas Taiwan only has a vague treaty), developments re: North Korea will probably make it a bigger deal out of the two.

If Japan is going to re-militarize itself then I suspect South Korea would follow China while North Korea would taunt the US to rally on its cause.

Taiwan is probably going to submit to Japanese dominance as long as China continues to be ugly like how it is now.

But I doubt Abe would be as stupid as to draw his country into a two-front war again.
Patrickov wrote:

If Japan is going to re-militarize itself then I suspect South Korea would follow China while North Korea would taunt the US to rally on its cause.

Taiwan is probably going to submit to Japanese dominance as long as China continues to be ugly like how it is now.

But I doubt Abe would be as stupid as to draw his country into a two-front war again.

Abe and his party are smart they'll play the waiting game, I actually want Japan and China to work together against the west, but again the CCP are exaggerating the Sino-Japanese war, so the people can focus their hatred on Japan instead of the government.
Patrickov wrote:If Japan is going to re-militarize itself then I suspect South Korea would follow China while North Korea would taunt the US to rally on its cause.

South Korea is already militarized. East Asians are very into their own culture (unlike western people), Taiwan would never submit to Japan (which realistically, I don't think they are going to try and be dominant) because Taiwan and Japan have different cultures.

To a certain degree all east Asian cultures are pretty similar of course. The differences between Confucianism and neo-Confucianism are not that different from an outside perspective and the Korean's word for themselves is even Han, which is basically Han Chinese without the tonal language. But in their minds they are unique, independent special snowflake cultures and better than other similar cultures, whom they would never submit to or even acknowledge if they could avoid it.
Hong Wu wrote:South Korea is already militarized. East Asians are very into their own culture (unlike western people), Taiwan would never submit to Japan (which realistically, I don't think they are going to try and be dominant) because Taiwan and Japan have different cultures.

To a certain degree all east Asian cultures are pretty similar of course. The differences between Confucianism and neo-Confucianism are not that different from an outside perspective and the Korean's word for themselves is even Han, which is basically Han Chinese without the tonal language. But in their minds they are unique, independent special snowflake cultures and better than other similar cultures, whom they would never submit to or even acknowledge if they could avoid it.

They need to put their petty shit aside and focus on owing the west. #PanAsianism.
Tewodros III wrote:They need to put their petty shit aside and focus on owing the west. #PanAsianism.

It's not possible, they will never put it aside. Korea has been the usual whipping boy because it's positioned between Japan and China and so geographically, it's gotten attacked the most, but even their fairy tales are basically about being rebellious towards foreigners. The Japanese consider themselves borderline-supernatural and China dates its culture back to around 5,000 BC (although realistically, they are at most only a few hundred years older than other cultures one might identify with). Pan-Asianism is at most trade deals, never a single identity like is being attempted with Europe.
Hong Wu wrote:It's not possible, they will never put it aside. Korea has been the usual whipping boy because it's positioned between Japan and China and so geographically, it's gotten attacked the most, but even their fairy tales are basically about being rebellious towards foreigners. The Japanese consider themselves borderline-supernatural and China dates its culture back to around 5,000 BC (although realistically, they are at most only a few hundred years older than other cultures one might identify with). Pan-Asianism is at most trade deals, never a single identity like is being attempted with Europe.

Alright until I see Korea united and somehow surpass Japan economy they need to accept themselves as the bottom bitch of China and Japan. Look at Eritrea it's an Ethiopian province for centuries, until the fall of Aksum, then they had their own little nation, before being owned by Ottomans, Somalis, Egyptian and then Italians. So when we finally was reunited with them they were uppity ungrateful negros who apparently rather have their own shithole nation than being apart of their fatherland. So they rebelled, succeed and became the poor shithole( who whore themselves to Arabs and Egyptians like Koreans did to Americans) anti-Black nation we all know and hate today. The point is petty nationalism means nothing if the West is treating Japan and Korea as their own garage. China should just suck it up and try to created good relations with Japan. Japan should just suck it up and apologize without being like Germans, Korea should just suck it up and accept being a province of either one.
Last edited by Tewodros III on 01 Nov 2016 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Tewodros III wrote:Alright until I see Korea united and somehow surpass Japan economy they need to accept themselves as the bottom bitch to China and Japan. Look at Eritera it's Ethiopian province for centuries, until the fall of Aksum, than they had they're own little nation, before being owned by Ottomans, Somalis, Egyptian and then Italians. So when we finally was reunited with them they were uppity ungrateful negros who apparently rather have their own shithole nation than being apart of their fatherland. So they rebelled, succeed and became the poor shithole( who whore themselves to Arabs and Egyptians like Koreans did to Americans) anti-Black nation we all know and hate today. The point is petty myths means nothing if the West is treating Japan and Korea as their own garage.

It's not. I have no idea where South Korea ranks between the rest, economically it's probably above China for the average citizen but how you rank is not that important if you can be happy. Rank always exists, if you have what you need it doesn't have to matter if you aren't on the top. Some east Asians still seem to understand this and that is probably why their countries are so peaceful despite having some of the same problems as other countries.
Tewodros III wrote:East Asians never settle, they'll always want to be the best(like any race but these people are different) The point being is if Korea practice what they preach about self-determination they wouldn't have to cry for US for help, Japan is excused because they have no choice(no army)

Well, North Korea has enough conventional artillery aimed at Seoul to level 75% of the city almost instantly, I think I read once. South Korea is in a pretty shitty situation since most of them would rather not fight with North Korea and the presence of US Military bases and alliances ensures that North Korea will not lash out if it doesn't feel materially threatened, since it might win the fight against the South but not also against the US.

Japan had pacifism forced onto them and they want to get rid of it for pride reasons, they're pretty close to doing that, but realistically I don't think even they would start a nuclear war. So their whole military shtick is borderline cultural. The head knocking between Japan and China does worry me a bit though because the Chinese are still butt hurt over WWII, moreso I think than the Koreans. They want to show the world that they are stronger than Japan now and possibly they are, but being militarily strong in this day age can be taken too far.
Hong Wu wrote:Well, North Korea has enough conventional artillery aimed at Seoul to level 75% of the city almost instantly, I think I read once. South Korea is in a pretty shitty situation since most of them would rather not fight with North Korea and the presence of US Military bases and alliances ensures that North Korea will not lash out if it doesn't feel materially threatened, since it might win the fight against the South but not also against the US.

Japan had pacifism forced onto them and they want to get rid of it for pride reasons, they're pretty close to doing that, but realistically I don't think even they would start a nuclear war. So their whole military shtick is borderline cultural. The head knocking between Japan and China does worry me a bit though because the Chinese are still butt hurt over WWII, moreso I think than the Koreans. They want to show the world that they are stronger than Japan now and possibly they are, but being militarily strong in this day age can be taken too far.

Chinaman is smart, they'll never let their petty hate for Japanese get in the way of owning the west, they keep the anti-Japanese propaganda, but they'll do nothing.
Hong Wu wrote:South Korea is already militarized. East Asians are very into their own culture (unlike western people), Taiwan would never submit to Japan (which realistically, I don't think they are going to try and be dominant) because Taiwan and Japan have different cultures.

Japan colonized Taiwan for 50 years and culturally influenced it for much longer, no less because the island was ruled by different regimes to the Mainland for > 120 years.

On a side note, I wouldn't say Hong Kong is of the same culture as China now.

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

How was my take empathetic? I was specifically i[…]