North Korea claims to have developed hydrogen bomb, conducts nuclear test - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Beren wrote:North Korea has actually won, but it's only enough for its survival as it is. I'm sure it can't have any nuke subs, they would be taken out immediately. North Korean nukes are and will be for self-defence and they will be carried by missiles launched from North Korean territory only.

If we could be sure he would stop where he is and not shoot missiles off to terrorize the neighboring countries, we could easily let it go. However, this guy seems to get excited with all this and is not likely to stop. I believe the only reasonable option is a strong secret preemptive strike to wipe out these weapons.
Hindsite wrote:So your solution is to wait until they attack and kill millions of people?

Possession of nukes is one thing. Getting them safely to reach a destination in order to create a chain reaction is another. Any attack against the US with nukes would be futile. Not only would they get shot down, they would have an arsenal returning back tenfold. Only dialogue can resolve this issue.
B0ycey wrote:Possession of nukes is one thing. Getting them safely to reach a destination in order to create a chain reaction is another. Any attack against the US with nukes would be futile. Not only would they get shot down, they would have an arsenal returning back tenfold. Only dialogue can resolve this issue.

Talking with them isn't going to get them to stop. President Trump has already ruled that out. Anything else? Maybe, more sanctions? The Mother of all sanctions?
Last edited by Hindsite on 05 Sep 2017 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Hindsite wrote:Taking with them isn't going to get them to stop. President Trump has already ruled that out. Anything else?

The problem with Trump is he takes state propaganda to their citizens to mean a threat to regional states. NK see nukes as a defence policy. And with Iraq and Libya as examples, perhaps they are right to do so. Until they are a protential global threat, they won't stop these tests. But the irony is, they will never be a threat to the US anyway. Because these weapons are easily intercepted. So why panic? Just keep using dialogue and increase missle defence drills.
B0ycey wrote:The problem with Trump is he takes state propaganda to their citizens to mean a threat to regional states. NK see nukes as a defence policy. And with Iraq and Libya as examples, perhaps they are right to do so. Until they are a protential global threat, they won't stop these tests. But the irony is, they will never be a threat to the US anyway. Because these weapons are easily intercepted. So why panic? Just keep using dialogue and increase missle defence drills.

I would not count on them being so easily intercepted. I have heard our stuff is old. It may also be ineffective. Haven't you heard that we need to rebuild our military with new planes, new ships, etc.?
The single mountain under which North Korea most likely conducted its five most recent nuclear bomb tests, including the latest and most powerful on Sunday, could be at risk of collapsing, a Chinese scientist said.

By measuring and analyzing the shock waves caused by the blasts, and picked up by quake stations in China and neighboring countries, researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China in Hefei, Anhui province, said they were confident that they were all carried out from under the same mountain at the Punggye-ri test site.

The team from the seismic and deep earth physics laboratory made the claim in a statement posted on their website on Monday. Its leader, geophysicist Wen Lianxing, said that based on data collected by more than 100 earthquake monitoring centers in China, the margin of error was no more than 100 meters.

Wang Naiyan, the former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and senior researcher on China's nuclear weapons program, said that if Wen's findings were reliable, there was a risk of a major environmental disaster.

Another test might cause the whole mountain to cave in on itself, leaving only a hole from which radiation could escape and drift across the region, including China, he said.

"We call it 'taking the roof off'. If the mountain collapses and the hole is exposed, it will let out many bad things."

Sunday's blast was followed by an earthquake eight minutes later, which China's seismic authorities interpreted as a cave-in triggered by the explosion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/north-k ... -says.html

Interestingly, Chinese nuclear scientists predicted that another nuclear test would make the test site collapse entirely, and radiation would drift across the country as a result. North Korea may learn lessons the hard way with another Chernobyl disaster waiting to happen at the Punggye-ri test site.
ness31 wrote:Also, what's a quantum satellite? Short version please :D

Here is a nice article. Also, you may enjoy this thread I made a year ago- viewtopic.php?f=70&t=166323
The first quantum-cryptographic satellite network will be Chinese

IN THE never-ending arms race between encryptors and eavesdroppers, many of those on the side that is trying to keep messages secret are betting on quantum mechanics, a description of how subatomic particles behave, to come to their aid. In particular, they think a phenomenon called quantum entanglement may provide an unsubvertable way of determining whether or not a message has been intercepted by a third party. Such interception, quantum theory suggests, will necessarily alter the intercepted message in a recognisable way, meaning that the receiver will know it is insecure. This phenomenon depends on the fact, surprising but true, that particles with identical properties which are created simultaneously are entangled in a way that means one cannot have its properties altered without also altering the other, no matter how far apart they are.

https://www.economist.com/news/science- ... -satellite

As for N. Korea, this is just more fear to keep the masses playing 'the game.' Again, if this 'crisis' goes nuclear, China-Russia-US are completely culpable.

The problem with Trump is he takes state propaganda to their citizens to mean a threat to regional states.
Nah, the president is a PR guy. The pentagon/military controls geopolitical maneuvering.

I would not count on them being so easily intercepted. I have heard our stuff is old. It may also be ineffective. Haven't you heard that we need to rebuild our military with new planes, new ships, etc.?
Nah, that's just a PR stunt. The US is totally invested in electromagnetic weapons (Directed Energy Weapons). Heck, what do you think happened to the Star Wars missile defense project? Furthermore, why would you give grunts skunk-work tech? The better the tech, the less personnel involved.
RhetoricThug wrote:Here is a nice article. Also, you may enjoy this thread I made a year ago- viewtopic.php?f=70&t=166323

Well done RT. You are my Sheldon and I, am your Penny :D

Next, an artists impression of said quantum satellite ;)
There are only three paths here

1) US recognizes DPRK as thermonuclear power (won't happen)

2) US does nothing other than tighten sanctions and hope China takes care of this
(won't happen because US allies Japan and South Korea are counting on US

3) US begins shooting down DPRK missiles

This will happen and will lead to a fork for DPRK where they need to concede or accelerate

They'll probably accelerate. This will lead to war on the peninsula
Beren wrote:Because the system calculates the trajectory of the missile before shooting. So if it's clearly heading into the sea, it doesn't shoot.

Thanks, a reasonable explanation I simply had not thought of. My thoughts apparently are still geared toward human control than computer control. :)
It's all very selfish isn't it.

God knows how many nuclear tests the West has carried out. All that environmental degradation, and we somehow think there are no ramifications for it.

Now Kimmy is sending em into the ocean and everyone is hypocritically saying he can't have them. For shame!

At this rate Kimmy will have bigger problems than Trump or Putin or Jingping for that matter. Environmental Karma will take care of it.

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]

I am pretty sure it is illegal in Canada to harass[…]

You're all a buncha prudes. GET LAID! I’m trying[…]