Thailand's Child Sex Trafficking and Prostitution Problems - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/top-five-count ... on-1435448

The UN rates Thailand second on its list of countries with the highest rates of child prostitution. Since a child is usually considered unable to legally consent to such things, this looks pretty bad no matter how you feel about prostitution as an "industry."

The country of Thailand also has some of the world's most notorious red light districts. This article suggests that entire city of Pattaya is given over to the sex industry and calls it the "world's prostitution capital": https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2886634/p ... -toursits/

Next the reporter quizzed another Aussie gent, aged 50, at a bar on Pattaya Beach’s ‘strip’.

The recently divorced man was engaged to a 23-year-old Thai woman he had met ten days ago.

He said: “Thai women they are subservient. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like them being as subservient as they are … but they cook and clean, they really look after you.

“I do like that… but now I’ve got this girl, we met ten days ago, I can already tell it’s going to work.

“But y’know my wife and children hate me, even my friends think I am an a***hole.

Western men, particularly Australians who are closer to the country, seem to flock there to take advantage.

The crux of the issue may be difficulties Thailand has had in developing its economy. Outside of Bangkok, much of the country is rural and undeveloped. Prostitution pays much better than most available jobs:
Over one million tourists visit Pattaya every year and many of them are white western men who frequent the city’s hundreds of strip bars, go-go clubs and brothels.

Many sex workers come from the impoverished northeast and see selling their bodies as a way out of poverty.

Prostitutes can earn up to 5,000 baht (£114) a night, nearly 20 times the minimum wage of 300 baht (£7) per day.
Last edited by Hong Wu on 14 Feb 2018 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
United States has a huge prostitution and child trafficking industry that dwarf's Thailand's problems.

Thailand's culture and religion has a lot to do with this. The religion is very tolerant of sex, as opposed to the religions in Western cultures.

I don't expect you to know anything about this, though, since you aren't interested in learning anything, but only of demonizing a culture you know fuck all about. :moron:

I might as well post these facts, as Hong Wu won't.

Prostitution per 10,000 population
Russia 70-208
Germany 37
USA 31
Brazil 26
Switzerland 24
Thailand 22
China 14-32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country

@Hong Wu did you note that the USA is in the top 5,for child prostitution, or are you simply ignoring that since it doesn't fit your narrative? :knife:

Hong Wu wrote: This article suggests that entire city of Pattaya is given over to the sex industry and calls it the "world's prostitution capital"
That doesn't mean anything, as it's simply one person's opinion. De Wallen, Germany make Pattaya look small town. I've actually been to Pattaya, have you, or are you just talking shit again? You can travel much of Pattaya and still not get into the red light district.

Hong Wu wrote:The crux of the issue may be difficulties Thailand has had in developing its economy.
More ignorance. Thailand's economy is expanding at 4.5% per year. The unemployment rate is below 1%. The poverty rate is lower than in the USA.

Do you even know what you can buy for 300 baht, in Thailand??? I highly doubt it or you wouldn't be spewing bullshit about things you know really nothing about. :moron: :moron: :moron:
To try and cure the derailment that was happening in some other threads, I'm going to attempt to continue a discussion from there, here. It's basically a shorter version of what Godstud posted above.

Godstud wrote:You're demonstrating your ignorance yet again... You sure have a hard-on for Thailand, and still won't admit you nothing about the place.

South Korea, Russia, Germany, China and even the USA have more prostitution per 10,000 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country

Get your head out of your ass.

There are numerous problems with this data.

First, you said China has more prostitutes than Thailand but your link says China has 14-32 prostitutes per 100,000 people. It should be clear, since they didn't give a single number (as they did for most other countries) that this is an estimate. The low end estimate is smaller than the figure they give for Thailand.

Second, data like this is usually compiled from self-reporting sources which is why some of the figures are estimates. What this means is that some of the figures for countries are wrong. Thailand's authorities project shame about the state of prostitution in their country and so it's possible that they have under-reported their prostitution rate. For example, when have you ever heard of people going to South Korea for prostitution? Yet this data claims that South Korea has 98-197 prostitutes per 100,000 people, ranking it at one of the highest countries for prostitution. Again, you never hear about South Korea being known for prostitutes, therefore something must be wrong here.

Third, the state of "geisha" (to use the Japanese term) semi-prostitutes found in east Asia is not well understood in the west. The estimate for South Korea is presumably including club and karaoke bar-dwelling modern geishas. Don't get me wrong, these women are without exception money sucking vampires but it's actually the case that many of them rarely or never have sex for money. They are basically professionals at acting cute, paid to sort of be your girlfriend kind of thing. Unless you drop a ton of money on them, like marriage-level money, you won't be getting any. I assume the UN is classifying these women as prostitutes but they are not exactly the same as Thai bar girls who are definitely having sex for money.

Fourth, prostitution in places like Germany is an issue. For what little it is worth, most prostitutes in Germany appear to be foreign born, often coming from countries like Thailand or the Phillipines. So in a way prostitution in Germany stems from some of the same issues that lead to prostitution in countries that the foreign prostitutes are sourced from.
Prostitution in Germany is LEGAL. I guess you don't account for that, do you?

There is nothing wrong with the data. The only problem is that it doesn't agree with your narrative.

Hong Wu wrote:Third, the state of "geisha" (to use the Japanese term) semi-prostitutes found in east Asia is not well understood in the west. The estimate for South Korea is presumably including club and karaoke bar-dwelling modern geishas. Don't get me wrong, these women are without exception money sucking vampires but it's actually the case that many of them rarely or never have sex for money. They are basically professionals at acting cute, paid to sort of be your girlfriend kind of thing. Unless you drop a ton of money on them, like marriage-level money, you won't be getting any. I assume the UN is classifying these women as prostitutes but they are not exactly the same as Thai bar girls who are definitely having sex for money.
And you are basing this assumption on what? Your vast knowledge? :lol: :lol: :lol: Tell me more lies, please!

Noemon Edit: Rule 2
Last edited by Godstud on 14 Feb 2018 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Regarding child prostitution in America, there are countries that source the children and rich countries that have people who buy them. These are related issues but a policy for treating them would probably look very different in different countries.

From the IB Times article regarding difficulty in getting data on prostitution:
Child prostitution in Thailand involved 800,000 children under the age of sixteen in 2004.

According to Ecpat, due to the hidden nature of child sexual abuse reliable figures are hard to compile and cases difficult to document. Available figures estimate that currently some 30,000 to 40,000 children, not including foreign children, are exploited as prostitutes.

We should also consider differences in population sizes. The United States has about five times the population of Thailand, yet it may have fewer child prostitutes. From IBT:
According to Crimes Against Children research Centre (CCRC), the numbers of juvenile prostitutes within the United States range from 1,400 to 2.4 million, although most fall between 300,000 and 600,000.
So what's your point? They have a prostitution problem, according to Western standards, where they have more prostitutes? Your numbers don't add up.

They at least don't have a problem with school shootings, racism, and ethnocentric assholes.
My point is that Thailand appears to be under reporting its child (and other) prostitution problems according to various credible bodies. This means that your Wikipedia link making claims like South Korea has more prostitutes than Thailand is wrong. The claim that the US has more child prostitutes than Thailand, ignoring that the US has five times Thailand's population size, is also seemingly wrong.

You know. It's totally possible that you could live in Thailand and still acknowledge problems it has. You get yourself into these things by pretending the country is perfect. Just some friendly advice :)
Last edited by Hong Wu on 14 Feb 2018 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, it has a high rate but no higher than a great many other nations. Thailand sits around the middle of the pack, when it comes to prostitution.

Also, taking into consideration that their culture/religion isn't anti-sex, like some others, it's not surprising. When sex isn't demonized, it fails to be seen in the same way.

Hong Wu's only making posts to demonize Thailand, because he's jealous of someone living there and having a good quality of living while he's stuck in his mom's basement jerking off.

Hong Wu wrote:This means that your Wikipedia link making claims like South Korea has more prostitutes than Thailand is wrong.
Only according to you, and you tend to make up bullshit about things you really know little about.

Hong Wu wrote:It's totally possible that you could live in Thailand and still acknowledge problems it has.
I know it has problems, people like you are only bringing attention to them to try to establish that I can't argue a point because of where I live. Grow the fuck up!
Last edited by Godstud on 14 Feb 2018 08:57, edited 2 times in total.
No, it is not in the middle of the pack. It's rated as likely having more child prostitutes than America even though it's got 1/5th the population size. I just quoted an article that ranks it second in child prostitution. How is that in the middle? As I explained, your table from Wikipedia uses self-reported data and is wrong.
It's middle of the pack according to prostitutes per 10,000 people for prostitution. That's the important statistic. You don't agree with it, because you don't like it. Suck it up, :moron:

Yes, it has a problem with child prostitutes and the USA falls right behind it in that regard.

All the other bullshit you tell about Thailand, however, is lies in order to establish a narrative against it, and is trolling.

Again, grow up.
Hong Wu wrote: Since a child is usually considered unable to legally consent to such things, this looks pretty bad no matter how you feel about prostitution as an "industry."

You also might want to look into the term 'enjo-kosai', regarding the snip here...

It's when Japanese school girls date old men for pay. It's a thing not just in Japan, and is also a thing among some other Asian countries.

Just sayin, that's how some of them folks roll, regardless of whatever 'universal declarations'.
Godstud wrote:It's middle of the pack according to prostitutes per 10,000 people for prostitution. That's the important statistic.

You wrote this after I wrote about child prostitution, so you seemed to be either saying that it's more important than child prostitution, or maybe you were just in such a rush to post and so you didn't think about what your words were saying.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes underreported in the US too but all signs are that it is a major (and greater) problem for Thailand. Your continued defense of sexual liberalism while living in one of the world's prostitution capitals seems strange to me. If I lived there and didn't go to the red light districts/cities I would definitely not be liberal on these issues.
Godstud wrote:Prostitution in Germany is LEGAL. I guess you don't account for that, do you?

There is nothing wrong with the data. The only problem is that it doesn't agree with your narrative.

And you are basing this assumption on what? Your vast knowledge? :lol: :lol: :lol: Tell me more lies, please!

Stop bullshitting about shit you don't know.

Crantag led me to a Wikipedia article that explains a related phenomenon pretty well: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JK_business

This is common knowledge in east Asian countries and you are just embarrassing yourself by presuming I must be making it up.
Godstud wrote:You're only making this thread up to troll and push your asshole narrative. You can't even acknowledge what I say, and I doubt that you read 1/2 of it.

Crawl back in your hole.

I made the thread because multiple other threads were derailed into you arguing with people about Thailand. You called me out on this specific issue in a different thread.
:lol: The @Godstud guide to Thailand. Yeah love it. Back in the real world Bangkok is sinking, yes literally sinking from its industrial scale prostitution, due to the colossal amounts of ground water drawn off by the "soapy massage" parlours.
I once heard a senior Thai Buddhist who said that we shouldn't feel sorry for prostitutes because they have to live out their bad Karma and we can't do anything for them. I don't believe we would hear something like that from Christian dignitaries, no matter how cynical.

I think there are cultural factors that make Thais less sensitive about child prostitution.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]

Seeing that this place is filled to the brim with […]