Australian Budget: A Failure - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
As far as I can see, the Coalition has failed to deliver on two most critical areas:

(a) providing real incentives for people returning, or seeking to return, to the workforce.
(b) addressing the skills shortage through boosting education, training and reskilling.

In area (a), as has been typical of the Liberal Party, instead of lowering effective marginal tax rates for those returning to work, or seeking to actually reform the welfare system, Costello has chosen to simply slug those out of work, as though they are simply too lazy to seek employment.

If a disabled person is judged to be able to work 16 hours a week by Centrelink, then they won't be eligible for a cent of disability support pension (as I understand it). Nevermind if this means they are only earning $320 a week, nevermind that there are no increased incentives for someone to employ them and that the government hasn't provided any policies to assist them into work. No carrot, plenty of stick.

In area (b), the government has just ignored any skills crisis whatsoever. What's worse, it has done this in the climate of slashed university spending, an attack on tertiary education culture and a failure to even acknowledge any problems in a system that they have gutted, and that has seen Australian universities having to lower standards to boost revenue from overseas students (the only way they can survive given Federal government funding cuts).

Also, of course, there's the broken promise on the Medicare threshold, and the commitment to sell off Telstra and each Australian's share in this vital piece of our infrastructure. But that was expected.

On the positive side, some tax rates have been reduced and the future fund doesn't sound like a bad idea (although, given the government's ability to weasel its way into most 'independent' boards, one has to wonder how many ethanol companies might be invested in by the statutory body looking after it).

That is all. What pisses me off most of all is that it seems the newspapers will focus on the tax cuts, without seeing this as a budget that, at a crucial point in our economic development, has utterly FAILED to address two crucial areas, taking retrograde steps or simply ignoring the problems.
By unbalanced zealot
Can't disagree with anything you've said Maxim.

Have been trawling thru some of the policy statements that
went with the figures ... no point in making comments after
a quick glance tho. In fact there's no point really making a counter
argument against any policy papers the coalition coughs up
coz the Aussie public in all their wisdom voted them control
of the senate - so all and sundry are now at their mercy regardless
of whats best for the country.

:hmm:
By unbalanced zealot
What we need are a whole lot of radical left-wing
undergraduate students with dreadlocks and piercings
demonstrating against the budget/government.

That'll shock the coalition and bring about some changes.

;)
By GandalfTheGrey
I'd just love to understand the logic behind these magnificent tax cuts:

80% of taxpayers get a whopping $6 extra per week

people earning $100 000 and above get $65 extra per week.
By unbalanced zealot
people earning $100 000 and above get $65 extra per week.

many of those people would have invested in top-tier real estate and
since the property downturn has come into being they probably need
something to ease the pain of recent losses in the value of their
investments.

I feel sorry for them - I really do. Overseas holidays cost more
because of the high oil price. Exclusive private ecucation costs aren't
getting any cheaper ... give them a break.
By Lu-Tze
Hear hear!
if anything its the poor lower-middle income large families that have it easy... THEY dont need to go on holidays to the USA, they're happy with the trailor park in Ballarat. They havent been hit as hard with the higher petrol prices because they dont have a Ferrari that guzzles petrol like theres no tomorrow. And what with all these high, obligation free welfare payments they're getting these days, life is a breeze!

Now take a good look at more evidence that it is […]

Yet the IDF has not entered the city thus far. I s[…]

The MAGA backed dipshits didn't get elected here […]

@FiveofSwords Do all things exist in the same […]