Church Service dedicated to Ante Pavelic in Croatia - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Church Service dedicated to Ante Pavelic

On 29-12-2010 in a Catholic church at Croatia’s capitol, a church service was held for the Croatian mass murderer, Ante Pavelic. This church service was held by the Croatian priests Vjekoslav Lasic and Stanislav Kos. At that event Ante Pavelic was presented as a positive example, who fought for the Croatian national cause. During the church service Jure Francetic, a general of the Croatian fascist army was honored as well. Under the protectorate of Nazi-Germany and Fascist-Italy, the Croatian fascists of Ante Pavelic run concentration camps, such as Jasenovac, where at least 800.000 Serbs were murdered. In addition Jews and Gypsies were prosecuted by Ante Pavelic as well. In Croatia, the mastermind of these atrocities, Ante Pavelic, is being honored.

Church service for Ante Pavelic

Ante Pavelic

In 1990 the Croatia parliament, under the authority of Franjo Tudjman, eliminated the clause on the Serbian sovereignity from Croatia’s constitution. Since 1990, the Serbs of Croatia have been reduced from a constituent nation to a national minority. Eventually the elimination of the Serbian constituent rights provoked a civil war in Croatia between the Serbs and the Croats. However, this action of the Croatian parliament, which was the occasion for the war, was disregarded in the Western media. During the civil war in Croatia between 500.000 and 800.000 Serbs were expelled during the period between 1990 and 1995. The expelled Serbs did not return to their lands.

The EU-nations know that fascists are openly honored in Croatia, since the collapse of Yugoslavia. Stil, the EU does not take any actions against this behavior. The EU parliament is obligated to take measures against such behavior, the glorification of fascists war criminals. On the other side, the EU tolerates that fascists are being honored in Croatia, since 1990. In addition, from Croatia it is not demanded to return to the Serbs their constituent rights, which the Serbs of Croatia enjoyed until 1990.
By Khalq
Good. Now don't forget to canonize him. :roll:
By Varilion
oh it seems a pretty little church, with less people than what my neighborhood priest is usally able to gather for the 8.00 AM mass. :P

It's a shame but I would not care it too much, and btw masses to remember dead are a common practice....
By Thunderhawk
Werent most powerful anti-fascists also anti-church and/or anti-nationalist? I imagine it would then be difficult to find church services to remember those people, thus leaving the moderates, unknown and the fascists to be generally remembered in church. The first two getting little or no media attention because their rememberance is not media worthy, while the fascists rememberance becomes story worthy. I suspect the anti-fascists who werent anti-church also get rememberance, but like the moderates, their rememberance is not media worthy.
By Spike Spiegel
RSK wrote:This church service was held by the Croatian priests Vjekoslav Lasic and Stanislav Kos.

It's always the same guy. Every time there's a mass or burial of NDH war criminals it's always done by the same guy. He holds this mass every year so this is nothing new. He already had conflicts regarding his behavior with both previous and current cardinal, but he isn't doing anything thats against church laws. His behavior doesn't exactly represent positions of catholic church.

RSK wrote:The EU-nations know that fascists are openly honored in Croatia, since the collapse of Yugoslavia. Still, the EU does not take any actions against this behavior. The EU parliament is obligated to take measures against such behavior, the glorification of fascists war criminals. On the other side, the EU tolerates that fascists are being honored in Croatia, since 1990.

What action do you think EU should take?
I'm pretty sure it isn't obligated to take any measures and I don't think there is a laws on EU level against Nazi glorification. In Croatia however there are laws against Nazi glorification and people do get arrested.
By Preston Cole
I don't see what the big deal is. There are religious services remembering Corneliu Zelea Codreanu and other dead Iron Guard members in Romania all the time. The Church has a tight relationship with the neo-fascist New Right due to the latter's Orthodox convictions.
By Bosnjak
Pavelic was one of the strangest warcriminals, he was married with a jewish wife but murdered thens of thousands jews in concetration camps.
By Stipe
This stuff is not done with the approval of the state, and is instead a fringe remnant and a show put on by a fringe priest. Every time something like this goes on, it's always Vjekoslav Lasic putting it on.

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1399589[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]