Luxury in Europe - and our high taxes - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Aught Six
of course, not every american do need 3 or 4 jobs, i never supposed that, but i often read and heard about, that the us have a huge lower class which is hardly able to manage their life without doing as much jobs as they get.
in europe we think, that the state got the job to get sure, that everybody will get a minimum healthcare, etc... the issue/problem is to find the right apropriate extent, how much welfare you want. in germany with long time economic boom, we achieved a very high level and currently we have to correct it, globalization is requiring. but its a very hard way for the current politicians.

Excellent points. I come from a middle class family, and while none of us are rich, we've been able to afford a very comfortable (but not extravagent) standard of living. Unfortunately there are some who come from poorer backgrounds who see the wealth in this country and want to live a wealthy lifestyle for themselves. That's why we see some people get credit cards and then spend more than they can possibly earn. They're living a fantasy.

We do have government assistance programs for the lower and lower-middle classes, but one has to apply for it--they don't get it automatically. People can get assistance with health care, college tuition, grants to start a business, etc., but hard work and some personal responsibility is also necessary to succeed because there isn't enough money in the welfare system to pay for everyone who wants it. That's not to say that Germans or anyone else in Europe aren't responsible--just that we don't have the cradle-to-grave system.

Part of American way of thinking is that our ancestors came to this country, often with no more than a few dollars, and worked hard to support themselves and their families. And after 100 or 200 years, we have this great country to show for all that work. That spirit of creating our own futures through work is still very strong. This is one reason that small businesses continue to thrive here, even with larger companies like Wal-Mart, McDonald's, etc.

That's a good point about correcting the level of welfare. I haven't read much about German domestic politics since Merkel became chancellor, but American leaders are working on the same problems, in addition to foreign policy. Balance is important, yet no one seems to agree on just the right level. I'm sure the CDU and the SPD are having some of the same kinds of arguments the Republicans and Democrats are having here.

there is one point, which i absolutely have to disagree:
Quote:
We do have a choice in almost every aspect of life

no, you havent. for instance, you cant choose your parents, and according to this, you cant choose the social circumstances among you grow up... (speaking about equal opportunities)
one special example: in us you have to be a multimillionare to run for president. otherwise you have no chance, or has there ever been one single us-president, who wasnt as much as rich? however, i dont know anyone, have to appologize if there has been one.

Well, I did say "almost". ;) It's true that children who come from better-off families tend to be better-off themselves when they grow up and start their careers. However, there are countless examples of people who grew up with nothing, worked all week long and went to school at night, or even started their own businesses, and became success stories. Within the past generation, consider people Steve Jobs, Bill Gates (OK, he went to Harvard, but he didn't finish), or Michael Dell. Entrepreneurship is something that is more common herein the States than in Europe, as far as I can see. The taxes alone in Europe, not to mention energy costs, etc., are enough to keep many people from starting their own businesses.

In Germany, it seems as though the education officials test children at a very young age and then send them to this school or that, giving them little choice in their career fields. I know that it can be very difficult to switch careers in Germany halfway through life, while that is very common here in the U.S. Most of the people in my family have done this. If we get tired of one job and don't make enough money to pay the bills, we find something else that suits us better. There is competition, but those who keep trying and plan wisely have great chances of success.

Regarding the millionaire presidents. Not every president grew up rich, particularly in the 19th century. Abe Lincoln taught himself how to be a lawyer by reading books on his own, and the rest is history. But while Americans hate the idea of royalty (it's too English), we do prefer to see successful, confident leaders in the White House.
By Lokakyy
However, there are countless examples of people who grew up with nothing, worked all week long and went to school at night, or even started their own businesses, and became success stories.

Do you think there could be examples of people who grew up with nothing, worked all week long and went to school at night, or even started their own businesses, and became total failures?
By Zel
Somehow this whole debate seems to foster stereotypes of when it comes to social security. Most of us debate from the background of the middle class, and the middle class raely is quite well off in both systems. What the middle class may lose in direct income through taxes in Europe it gets back through different types of government programs and a saftey net from poverty. One can argue what is better in the end livingstandards are quite the same for both the US middle class and its western European counterparts. What we lack on after tax income we gain by not having to pay school and college feas and paying almost nothing when needing medical care. Its a political decission that most Europeans support and if you look at the political debate its mostly about percentile changes in the system.

And honestly the US and Europe arent too different when it comes to the poor too (and I also include all those in the US who state that they are lower middle class as they would probably be considered poor in Europe too). Those people are probably a bit worse off in the US than in Europe but not by much. They have hardly the capability of bettering their lives (and dont give me those 20 names that did it nevertheless, all those you named were middle class people and thats not too uncommon in Europe too that those get rich by their own means). The US is by international studies one of those places where social mobility is the lowest, meaning you are born poor and you will die poor. That some are getting rich doesnt change that, the number of poor people advancing themselves to a better live is higher in all other industrialized nations (in Europe this differs from equally low in the UK to a bit better in Germany to quite a chance in Scandinavia). Both societies shouldnt be prouding themselves with that kind of things as with few exceptions they arent realy enabling their poor to better their lives.

I wont talk about the few people that can be considered rich as that is realy just pointless of wheter you are extremly well off in Europe or are extremly well off in the US.

The driving force of both economies are the middle classes and both are comparably well off. Europe grants its a safetynet to not by accident becoming poor while the US probably offers a bit more oportunity for those with a good business idea (which doesnt mean that Europe doesnt offer oportunity as there are enough people making their money but the US may have an edge there).
By Decky
I encourage all Europeans to visit the US, and if you like what you see and have your papers in order, to stay. It certainly doesn't seem so evil a country when you experience it for yourself.

I have and I don't see why people should have to be frisked before entering a fucking musesum. The guy in front of be put his knife in the tray and they gave it back to him on the other side whereas I got a packet of sweets chucked away incase I used them to harm somone. :eh:
Last edited by Decky on 23 Aug 2007 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
By Aught Six
Do you think there could be examples of people who grew up with nothing, worked all week long and went to school at night, or even started their own businesses, and became total failures?

Absolutely. And failure is not something Americans like to promote. We reward the most capable, not the least capable people. It's kind of hard to become the greatest superpower in the modern era if we were to celebrate mediocrity.
By Maas
And honestly the US and Europe arent too different when it comes to the poor too

no, this is not the case.
At the momement I'm way to lazy to look it up, but....
There is a thing called the CIA factbook on the internet.
It has figures that say things about GDP.
There is something else that sais something about the income of the top 10%, and what share they have of the GDP and the income of the low 10% and their share of the GDP.

This sais EVERYTHING about how the wealth of the people is distributed between upper, middle and lower income groups. And honestly, the US got a WAAAAY different pattern than my country. Our tax-system targets the wealthy to pay the needs of the poor.
By Aught Six
Somehow this whole debate seems to foster stereotypes of when it comes to social security.

Yes, you're post demonstrates this perfectly. I've travelled through Western Europe. The housing is substandard to that of Americans, gas prices are double what we pay, and consumer goods (even a can of soda) are often 10-25% higher than in the states. I pay a little over $2,000 per year in college tution, which really isn't very much at all. I could work a part-time job and have enough money to pay for that. Factor in unemployment rates that are often double our own, and it doesn't paint a very good picture for Europe.

But if you're happy having just enough, what can I say?
Last edited by Aught Six on 20 Aug 2007 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
By Aught Six
I have and I don't see why people should have to be frisked before entering a fucking musesum. The guy in front of be put his knif in the tray and they gave it back to him on the other side whereas I got a packet of sweets chucked away incase I used them to harm somone.

I'm sorry to hear that you'd rather take your chances being killed. Museums, and any location where large amounts of people gather, are targets. Security is there for a reason.
By Aught Six
This sais EVERYTHING about how the wealth of the people is distributed between upper, middle and lower income groups. And honestly, the US got a WAAAAY different pattern than my country. Our tax-system targets the wealthy to pay the needs of the poor.

That's the thing about Americans--we don't distribute wealth. We earn it.
By Maas
Yes, you're post demonstrates this perfectly. I've travelled through Western Europe. The housing is substandard to that of Americans,

you got to be kidding. Most houes in the states aren't even isolated at all against the weather because their are made out of wood! You have to use a stud-detector to hang a freaking painting on the wall, otherwise the nail would just fall out. One little tornado and your whole house get's blown away. We make ours out of concrete or bricks.
I pay a little over $2,000 per year in college tution

Our best universities cost less than $2000 a year and that's not something you can claim.
That's the thing about Americans--we don't distribute wealth. We earn it.

Nice idea, but some people do work hard but are just dumb so they don't earn a lot. There is no reason at all why they must live in a ghetto and won't go to a dokter because they can't affort it. That line that "all men are created equal" is fucked up. We aint equal at all, some are born as a retart.
By Joschka
Nice idea, but some people do work hard but are just dumb so they don't earn a lot. There is no reason at all why they must live in a ghetto and won't go to a dokter because they can't affort it

excellent point.
i wouldnt want to live in a 2 or even 3 class society.
i want to live in a strong midclass society, where nobody has to live in ghettos, where nobody must go to bankruptcy, because he hasnt got the money for the needed medical health...
By Aught Six
you got to be kidding. Most houes in the states aren't even isolated at all against the weather because their are made out of wood! You have to use a stud-detector to hang a freaking painting on the wall, otherwise the nail would just fall out. One little tornado and your whole house get's blown away. We make ours out of concrete or bricks.

I misspoke by using the term 'substandard'. I don't not mean rickety walls or a weak foundation, etc. I mean they're tiny. I can't walk through half the doors in Amsterdam without hitting my head or bumping my shoulders on the door frame. Not to mention that a 100m² apartment for the equivalent of $1,500-$3,000 per month doesn't cut it for the average American family. I'm just throwing some numbers out there. Perhaps there are cheaper accomodations available, but every European city I've been to can be described as "cramped", and very expensive, even back when the Dollar and Euro were on par circa 2000.

And exactly how many tornados do you get in Europe?

Our best universities cost less than $2000 a year and that's not something you can claim.

Some of our least expensive public universities continue to blow European institutions away in terms of educational quality, academic research, and demand by employers for graduates.

Nice idea, but some people do work hard but are just dumb so they don't earn a lot. There is no reason at all why they must live in a ghetto and won't go to a dokter because they can't affort it. That line that "all men are created equal" is fucked up. We aint equal at all, some are born as a retart.

If a person's mind isn't equal, how could he/she expect his/her paycheck to be equal? We all have the same protection under the law, hence equal rights. We're not free to avoid competition and self-improvement. That kind of effort is what set us above Europe in terms economics and standards of living, and continues to do so.
By Joschka
IMO to compare dutch flats/houses with us isnt fair... keep in mind the big differences in their population densities. there are 484 people per km² in the netherlands and 31 people per km² in the usa... ;-)
By Maas
I misspoke by using the term 'substandard'. I don't not mean rickety walls or a weak foundation, etc. I mean they're tiny.

:roll: maybe that's because those houses are 100 to 500 years old. And in those days people weren't that big.
Not to mention that a 100m² apartment for the equivalent of $1,500-$3,000 per month doesn't cut it for the average American family.

Geez. What the hell do you expect?! 16.5 million live on 41,526 sq km. California is about 10 times bigger and got around 37 million people. You bet your ass it has an impact on how big we can live and how expensive it is. Most of europe is way more polpulated than the US.
And exactly how many tornados do you get in Europe?

None. But I checked on wikipedia. And it sais the record of how fast the wind can blow stand on a kewl +120 miles an hour (202 km/hour) in 1948. The record of 2005 is 173 km/hour. We got no mountains to stop them, remember. Plus, our country is verry small. You can't expect we get hit every time.
If a person's mind isn't equal, how could he/she expect his/her paycheck to be equal?

You can't. But that "we all have the same protection" aint true in the US. People go bankrupt over medical expenses, and you know it. The standard of living can depend on misfortune as small as having cancer when your young. You can recover perfectly in the house of your 80 year old mother, because you had to sell yours. That aint a high standard of living.
By Aught Six
IMO to compare dutch flats/houses with us isnt fair... keep in mind the big differences in their population densities. there are 484 people per km² in the netherlands and 31 people per km² in the usa... ;-)

Wait a minute now...we can compared economics systems, but not housing, a critical part of these systems?

Americans have a lot more room. That's just one of the reasons I would prefer to live here rather than in Europe.
By Maxim Litvinov
If a person's mind isn't equal, how could he/she expect his/her paycheck to be equal?

Quite right. Stupid ethnics.
By Aught Six
maybe that's because those houses are 100 to 500 years old. And in those days people weren't that big.

Like I said, that's one reason I prefer America. We're a lot more adaptable to the changing times.

Geez. What the hell do you expect?! 16.5 million live on 41,526 sq km. California is about 10 times bigger and got around 37 million people. You bet your ass it has an impact on how big we can live and how expensive it is. Most of europe is way more polpulated than the US.

That's the point; I don't expect much of anything over there. Beautiful country, great parks and nature trails, decent mass transit, plenty of good places to eat and have a beer, but not somewhere I'd want to spend my times.

I'm not trying to insult anyone's country. I love mine, and I would hope that you all love yours. National spirit is important anywhere you go. I'm just saying this system gives me more.

None. But I checked on wikipedia. And it sais the record of how fast the wind can blow stand on a kewl +120 miles an hour (202 km/hour) in 1948. The record of 2005 is 173 km/hour. We got no mountains to stop them, remember. Plus, our country is verry small. You can't expect we get hit every time.

I know, I was just messing with you. If there's one thing the Dutch are excellent at doing, it's controlling their environment despite living in a country that is flat as a pancake, partially below sea level. I wish we had some of your engineers in New Orleans a decade ago, when Louisiana politicians were ignoring a serious problem water and land management issue.

You can't. But that "we all have the same protection" aint true in the US. People go bankrupt over medical expenses, and you know it. The standard of living can depend on misfortune as small as having cancer when your young. You can recover perfectly in the house of your 80 year old mother, because you had to sell yours. That aint a high standard of living.

Equal protection under the law and in court, hence the Bill of Rights, not equal protection of a guaranteed standard of living. I'm sorry, but preventing a natural death comes as price. Better to be bankrupt and alive then rich and dead. No one starves to death in this country, except perhaps some of the anorexics in Hollywood. Poor Americans still have a better standard of living compared to their European equivalents. We have charities and free medical clinics--addng to our government bureaucracy isn't going to help the poor.
By Rick
The welfare state is here to stay, it may have to be lessened somewhat in certain areas, notably old-aged pensions, due to the increasing number of our old people, but it will not go away.

A LOT of the welfare state is going to go away in places like france. European countries are way below a replacement birth rate. Pope Benedict said:

"One must unfortunately note that Europe seems to be going down a road which could lead it to take its leave from history,"

It's a joke among pro-life people that libs are providing for their own extinction due to their fondness for abortion, but it's really happening in most of europe. With current trends, russia also in 50 years would be a vast nearly depopulated land mass.

The euros clever plan to avoid this is to import scads of muslims, which I read somewhere now constitute 10% of the french population. These people have a high birth rate, and presumably will eventually take over countries like france. And when you are a senior citizen, do you think they will pay for your air conditioning/meds/pension etc, or use it for their children?
By Aught Six
During my last visit to the Netherlands in May, I read that the national government estimates that 1,600 Islamic extremists currently reside in Amsterdam. That ought to get everyone feeling good about the crumbling welfare system.
By keso
Some of our least expensive public universities continue to blow European institutions away in terms of educational quality, academic research, and demand by employers for graduates.

And those researchers are spending very little, if any at all, time in the classroom of an undergraduate.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]