EU-BREXIT - Page 315 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By late
JohnRawls wrote:
Brainwashed. Pepe is meme about the oppressed and unhappy. How it is used is a totally different matter all together. Long story short Pepe is Pepe and it's part of our western meme culture now. Calling it racist is stupid and narrow thinking.

"Facts are stubborn things."

"To have it evolve into what it is today, it's a nightmare," Furie said. "It's kind of my worst nightmare ... to be tangled in forever with a symbol of hate." Furie is the creator of Pepe...
By SolarCross
late wrote:"Facts are stubborn things."

"To have it evolve into what it is today, it's a nightmare," Furie said. "It's kind of my worst nightmare ... to be tangled in forever with a symbol of hate." Furie is the creator of Pepe...

Artists are prone to hysteria and mental derangement, but we can't be held hostage by such tremulous individuals though. It is just a silly picture, banning it is insane.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
Artists are prone to hysteria and mental derangement, but we can't be held hostage by such tremulous individuals though.

It is just a silly picture, banning it is insane.

You need better excuses. It's not just the artist, or just ADL, it's anyone sane paying attention.

No one is talking about a ban, your inability to respond accurately reflects a certain misperception of reality. How far that distance from reality is I cannot say.

Methinks thou dost project overmuch..
By Patrickov
late wrote:That Pepe meme is White Supremacist racism.

I personally thought it just went viral because people find it funny.

IMHO if enough people use it without racist implication then there is no need to stop people using it if it is clear that the usage is not related to racism.
By late
Patrickov wrote:
I personally thought it just went viral because people find it funny.

IMHO if enough people use it without racist implication then there is no need to stop people using it if it is clear that the usage is not related to racism.

It's been used by extreme racists here for years.

Again, for the 3rd or 4th time, no one is calling for a ban. If it is racism from extremists, then removal may be appropriate.
By SolarCross
late wrote:You need better excuses. It's not just the artist, or just ADL, it's anyone sane paying attention.

No one is talking about a ban, your inability to respond accurately reflects a certain misperception of reality. How far that distance from reality is I cannot say.

Methinks thou dost project overmuch..

The ADL get paid to be paranoid about nazis. They are entitled to their opinion but censorship is stupid and the rest of us should not buckle under anyone's quivering paranoia. Aside from the ADL there are a bunch psychopathic commies who just love censorship for its own sake, "nazis" are a nice excuse for them though in reality commies are 100% as fucking loathsome as the worst nazis.
By Code Rood
Congrats to the Brits, but let's not act like Britain will now suddenly stop embracing certain poisonous globalistic ideas that are also being celebrated in the EU. Not going to happen. You're allowed to have a perversed version of patriotism, but that's it.
By Patrickov
late wrote:It's been used by extreme racists here for years.

I assume the "here" means the United States.

Still, what I am saying is that most usage I see is not related to racism. Had the symbol been (widely) related to racism I am sure platforms like WhatsApp would have been eager to ban it.

late wrote:Again, for the 3rd or 4th time, no one is calling for a ban. If it is racism from extremists, then removal may be appropriate.

I said "stop people using it", which is at least technically different from "calling for a ban", although judging from the reason given (racism, which is against forum rules), I suspect nothing short of a ban would address the concern.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
The ADL gets paid to be paranoid about nazis.

though in reality commies are 100% as fucking loathsome as the worst nazis.

It's dozens of wacko groups, not just Nazis. Since Trump became president, there has been a rise in bigotry, and the associated violence. It's not paranoia if they are out to get you, and they clearly are...

How many 'commies' have shot up a synagogue? How about running people down in a car in Charlottesville? How about blowing up a fucking day care in Oklahoma City.

I'd ask you to get real, but clearly that is not in the cards.
By JohnRawls
late wrote:"Facts are stubborn things."

I am not gonna tell you what to think. But it is my opinion that only brainwashed people can believe that Pepe is a racist meme of some sort. Obviously its related to US election and Trump winning... :eh:
By Hindsite
Code Rood wrote:Congrats to the Brits, but let's not act like Britain will now suddenly stop embracing certain poisonous globalistic ideas that are also being celebrated in the EU. Not going to happen. You're allowed to have a perversed version of patriotism, but that's it.

I wish the British luck and a return to their saying of "jolly old England" and mean it.
By late
JohnRawls wrote:
I am not gonna tell you what to think. But it is my opinion that only brainwashed people can believe that Pepe is a racist meme of some sort. Obviously its related to US election and Trump winning...

Me, Furie, the ADL, and millions of others, some of who were killed.

You don't get to alter reality.
By JohnRawls
late wrote:Me, Furie, the ADL, and millions of others, some of who were killed.

You don't get to alter reality.

Pepe didn't kill anyone. Pepe is art so opinion about it is subjective. You trying to link it to some ADL and millions of others and deaths is just your political bias talking.
By late
JohnRawls wrote:
Pepe didn't kill anyone. Pepe is art so opinion about it is subjective. You trying to link it to some ADL and millions of others and deaths is just your political bias talking.

So instead of pretending it wasn't used as a racist meme, you are now saying cartoons don't kill.

Brilliant.

You were wrong and now you are flailing blindly.
By Nonsense
JohnRawls wrote:You have never understood how it works. Let me try again, EU can have 3 to 5% of its trade harmed while EU can harm 40% to 50% of your trade. Yes, UK imports more than exports from the EU. The main problem for the UK is that the EU can take it while the UK can't.

So if the EU initiates something like the US-China trade war with the UK then you are going to fold 10 times faster. US trade is around 22% of Chinese exports and 10% of imports. That is more than 2 times lower than what EU trade is for UK.

What makes US less vulnreable to this is that foreign trade is 12% of USes GDP. While this number is 20-21% for China.

If we compare it to the UK then it is 30-32%. So UK will loose somewhere around 15-16% of its gdp if all trade is cut off between UK and Europe.

Here are the statistics for EU per country if 100% of trade will be cut off between UK and EU:

For Europe the number is around 2%-2.5% from this table.

So the EU has an overwhelming advantage here.

I think that it's yourself that doesn't understand how the real world functions JR.

The E.U is 27 countries, the U.K is 4 countries, we have a large deficit with Europe in trade, in a sense, although we are paying for those imports with hard £'s, the E.U would suffer were the U.K to (probably will)import greater amounts elsewhere as a direct result of the E.U miscalculating what you call, an 'advantage'.

The U.K, from the end of 2020, will begin to trade in alternative markets around the globe, to begin with, that trade will offset any loss of trade with the E.U, but as time goes on, we will grow that trade in excess of any loss resulting from reduced E.U activity.

The U.K has always been a global trading nation, it always will be, we could even begin rebuilding ourselves a merchant navy arising from a renaissance in our industries as an addition to our superior services & financial sectors.
The City of London financial centre has in place measures to cope with any E.U attempts to diminish it's pre-eminence outside of America.

We do not fear, but welcome, the freedom to trade with whoever we wish, on our own terms, in fact, we do more trade with the USA even before any trade 'deal' is agreed with them, for which I see no reason to change that current position, as it should be allowed to grow organically of it's own accord.

The E.U loses relatively less because those losses will be spread wider( in theory), in practice, not so, because Germany will be hit from a loss of exports to the U.K, that effect will be felt right across the E.U, because Germany will become it's largest net contributor, but earning less income to pay those contributions & a TRUMP effect could take place in Germany, where more people become euro-sceptic.

In contrast, when the U.K increases it's trade globally, the dividends are greater, because they are concentrated on distribution more than the case with the E.U.
By JohnRawls
Nonsense wrote:I think that it's yourself that doesn't understand how the real world functions JR.

The E.U is 27 countries, the U.K is 4 countries, we have a large deficit with Europe in trade, in a sense, although we are paying for those imports with hard £'s, the E.U would suffer were the U.K to (probably will)import greater amounts elsewhere as a direct result of the E.U miscalculating what you call, an 'advantage'.

The U.K, from the end of 2020, will begin to trade in alternative markets around the globe, to begin with, that trade will offset any loss of trade with the E.U, but as time goes on, we will grow that trade in excess of any loss resulting from reduced E.U activity.

The U.K has always been a global trading nation, it always will be, we could even begin rebuilding ourselves a merchant navy arising from a renaissance in our industries as an addition to our superior services & financial sectors.
The City of London financial centre has in place measures to cope with any E.U attempts to diminish it's pre-eminence outside of America.

We do not fear, but welcome, the freedom to trade with whoever we wish, on our own terms, in fact, we do more trade with the USA even before any trade 'deal' is agreed with them, for which I see no reason to change that current position, as it should be allowed to grow organically of it's own accord.

The E.U loses relatively less because those losses will be spread wider( in theory), in practice, not so, because Germany will be hit from a loss of exports to the U.K, that effect will be felt right across the E.U, because Germany will become it's largest net contributor, but earning less income to pay those contributions & a TRUMP effect could take place in Germany, where more people become euro-sceptic.

In contrast, when the U.K increases it's trade globally, the dividends are greater, because they are concentrated on distribution more than the case with the E.U.

Your deficit is useless if you can't take the hit and Europe can. That is about it.

@late

Does Trump have any good qualities? If no then why did people vote him? (This is just an example of your bias)
By late
JohnRawls wrote:
Does Trump have any good qualities? If no then why did people vote him? (This is just an example of your bias)

Hillary got 3 million more votes. The people didn't vote him in.. It was various types of cheating. The Electoral College has become a cheat that gets worse with every election, a Dem could get 5 million more votes and lose. We are very, very close to the point of using the EC to kill democracy.

Actually, we may be there. Between the Russian cyberwar against, and a variety of Republican dirty tricks like voter suppression, disenfranchisement, etc, it looks a lot like minority rule, which means democracy is dead.

Trump is always one impulse away from disaster, and that ignores all the damage he's already done.
By JohnRawls
late wrote:Hillary got 3 million more votes. The people didn't vote him in.. It was various types of cheating. The Electoral College has become a cheat that gets worse with every election, a Dem could get 5 million more votes and lose. We are very, very close to the point of using the EC to kill democracy.

Actually, we may be there. Between the Russian cyberwar against, and a variety of Republican dirty tricks like voter suppression, disenfranchisement, etc, it looks a lot like minority rule, which means democracy is dead.

Trump is always one impulse away from disaster, and that ignores all the damage he's already done.

Like i said, you are biased and brainwashed if you can't understand that Trump has positive qualities. Otherwise people wouldn't vote for him. As for him getting 3 million less votes, that is how the system has worked for the last 250 years.

Notice how trump won a lot more counties.

Also you need to understand that Democrats were not the champions of the poor and the downtrodden. It was Trump.
By redcarpet

Cummings almost loses his temper here. The reporter was polite, etc. Remember Brexit is supposed to be particularly "taking back control" from "unelected bureaucrats"!

As the great Rei replied;

and myself;

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]

Black people were never enslaved. Actually, bl[…]

US Presidential election 2024 thread.

You aren't American, you don't get a vote in my go[…]

On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]