Azerbaijan threatens Armenia over Nagorno Karabakh - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By pikachu
Igor Antunov
Ok most if it at least isn't funding, it's Azerbaijan paying US and Turkey to receive their technical and military expertise.

Come on Azerbaijan, Armenia needs the territory
It needs the territory? For what?
By Aekos
It needs the territory? For what?

Historical Armenia lost a lot of territory after the genocide. And I don't have to remind you what Azeris did to Armenian monuments in Nakhichevan.
By Igor Antunov
Ok most if it at least isn't funding, it's Azerbaijan paying US and Turkey to receive their technical and military expertise.

Why exclusively from NATO? They are receiving military aid just like Georgia did. They have chosen their side and that side is chumming them up with freebies, a state of affairs not natural between mere supplier and customer. They want NATO as allies, so that they can run amock in downtown central asia.

From NATO's point of view, Azerbaijan has oil, another oil producing puppet in NATO's pocket is logical, all georgia had were pipelines carrying oil and that was enough for NATO to move in.

This will become just another Russian victim, and just another used up NATO puppet, if war breaks out, because they border Russia and russia has overwhelming military power to use against them.
By pikachu
Historical Armenia lost a lot of territory after the genocide.
Well uh, they lost the territory to Turkey, not Azerbaijan... So go fight the real Turks please, how about that? Besides, you haven't really explained why Armenia needs the Karabakh.

Azerbaijan lost a lot of territory too, if you must know. In fact, roughly half of what used to be Azerbaijan, is now Iran.
By Aekos
Well uh, they lost the territory to Turkey, not Azerbaijan...

What about Nakhchivan? I'm pretty sure the only reason that is part of Azerbaijan is so that it can border Turkey.

So go fight the real Turks please, how about that?

Proxy Turks are better than no Turks :D

Besides, you haven't really explained why Armenia needs the Karabakh.

Armenia is a tiny country that can't support a decent population with its resources. I'm not sure if there are any good resources in Karabakh but land is land.

Azerbaijan lost a lot of territory too, if you must know. In fact, roughly half of what used to be Azerbaijan, is now Iran.

Isn't Iran's Supreme Leader an Azeri? I think the Iranian Azeris are doing just fine.
By pikachu
I'm pretty sure the only reason that is part of Azerbaijan is so that it can border Turkey.
And I'm pretty sure the main reason why Azerbaijan got it was because the people living there were majority Azeri and voted to unite with Azerbaijan in 1920. At their peak of migration into the region, the Armenians constituted roughly 40% of the population of Nakhchivan. When the hostilities erupted following the collapse of the Russian Empire their numbers decreased again. Though of course, the fact that Azerbaijan was the first country in the trans-caucasus to side with the Bolsheviks, as well as their desire to please Turkey must have also played a role.

Armenia is a tiny country that can't support a decent population with its resources.
And Singapore can? With open trade a country can survive with no resources at all.

Isn't Iran's Supreme Leader an Azeri? I think the Iranian Azeris are doing just fine.
Armenians in Azerbaijan (and there were a lot of them, and not only in Karabakh but even in Baku) were also doing just fine prior to the outbreak of hostilities over N-K.
By Aekos
And Singapore can? With open trade a country can survive with no resources at all.

Armenia is a small landlocked country in a mountainous region with little natural resources while Singapore is a major port along a shipping route. If only the Singapore model worked everywhere.

Armenians in Azerbaijan (and there were a lot of them, and not only in Karabakh but even in Baku) were also doing just fine prior to the outbreak of hostilities over N-K.

And the pogroms and ethnic cleansing that followed the Armenians' expected declaration of independence says more about the Azeri Turks than about Armenians. Remember Operation Ring?
By pikachu
Armenia is a small landlocked country in a mountainous region with little natural resources while Singapore is a major port along a shipping route.
And Luxemburg? And Costa Rica? You know the point is void, territorial expansion is not necessary for economic development.

And the pogroms and ethnic cleansing that followed the Armenians' expected declaration of independence says more about the Azeri Turks than about Armenians.
Says what? That they were nationalist hotheads who wanted the territory, just as the Armenians did? Why don't you say "Pogroms and ethnic cleansing of the Albanians' in Kosovo says more about Serbs than Albanians"
By Aekos
Says what? That they were nationalist hotheads who wanted the territory, just as the Armenians did? Why don't you say "Pogroms and ethnic cleansing of the Albanians' in Kosovo says more about Serbs than Albanians"

Pardon the Armenian nationalism. I just see the reunification of historical Armenia as a very important (and if some politicians are stupid enough, somewhat achievable) goal.
By dp_132
Independent_Srpska wrote:Following the NATO suit for Kosmet - Russia should recognize Nagorno Karakbah as a part of Armenia, or even, at the first point, as an independent state...

I'm sure that Russia won't do it.

Would Russia realy intervene in an Armenian-Azeri conflict?

This is not so interesting. Much more interesting is whether Iran would interfere in possible Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. 1/3 of Iranian population are azeri.
By Aekos
Much more interesting is whether Iran would interfere in possible Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict.

Iran and Armenia have very good relations. Persians, the dominant group in Iran and Indo-European brothers to the Armenians, would not allow intervention on behalf of the Azeris.
By Shah
Whats up with this notion of Indo-European brothers? Would you expect Pashtuns in Afghanistan to help the Armenians too? :D

Considering that Azerbaijan's military has been receiving quite a bit of training from not just America, but Israel as well, I doubt you'd see Iran interfere on their behalf.

1/3 of Iranian population are azeri.

It might be even more than that, the number of Persians in Iran is exaggerated. Iran shouldn't even be called Iran, that term refers to a broader region and peoples.
By Aekos
Whats up with this notion of Indo-European brothers?

Romantic nationalism. :)

Iran shouldn't even be called Iran, that term refers to a broader region and peoples.

Aren't you Iranian? Why'd you think that? :p
By dp_132
It might be even more than that, the number of Persians in Iran is exaggerated. Iran shouldn't even be called Iran, that term refers to a broader region and peoples.

Let's assume that 1/3 Iranian population are Azeri. Moreover, Iranian Azeri live in the north of Iran which is bordered with Azerbajan. Actually, Northern Iran in fact is "Southern Azerbaijan". I don't think that Iranian Azeri will be happy with Armenia-Azerbaijan war and possible Russian interfere (I guess Russia may interfere in war on Armenian side).

The conclusion is that the war might destabilize internal Iranian situation.
By Shah
Aren't you Iranian? Why'd you think that? :p

I'm actually a Tajik from Afghanistan. Tajik is just another word for Persian, there are different theories regarding the origin of the term though. Some claim Turkish invaders used it to refer to all Persians and later on in the 20th century the name was imposed by the Soviets in Tajikistan and Pashtun kings in Afghanistan.

The conclusion is that the war might destabilize internal Iranian situation.

I agree, although I'm not too informed about the popularity of Azeri-nationalism movements within Iran. Many prominent Iranian politicians are Azeri.
By Aekos
I'm actually a Tajik from Afghanistan. Tajik is just another word for Persian, there are different theories regarding the origin of the term though. Some claim Turkish invaders used it to refer to all Persians and later on in the 20th century the name was imposed by the Soviets in Tajikistan and Pashtun kings in Afghanistan.

Tajiks are an Iranian people. I meant Iranian in the ethno-linguistic sense.
By Shah
Oh, I thought you meant my nationality. That's what I meant when I said Iran shouldn't be called Iran, the term is not limited to its geographical borders. Many people are under the impression that it is though.

Most of the populations of Afghanistan and Tajikistan speak Farsi.
Last edited by Shah on 24 Nov 2009 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
By Bosnjak
I meant Iranian in the ethno-linguistic sense.

They also speak persian.
By Aekos
Iranian peoples are awesome and Iranian languages are the shit. Now if only they'd come back to Christianity.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]