Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Have we come full cycle? The UK was always the most ardent defender of Turkish EU membership to strengthen Nato. However, during the referendum campaign, the Brexiteers changed tune and said Britain must leave the EU because of the danger of 80 million Turks coming to live in the UK if Turkey were to become an EU member. And now the UK is leaving, Boris wants Turkey to join?

Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU

“We may be leaving the European Union but we are not leaving Europe,” Boris Johnson said while on an official visit to Turkey, AFP reported. He added the U.K. “will help Turkey in any way.” [...]

Could it be that the UK government is finding the world a lonely place after Brexit? Is it not enough to do Chinese dick-sucking to find new friends? Or did Boris want to ween his pal Erdogan off the goats by showing him what a good blow job can do?

After all Boris had some revealing little tidbits to say about his pal Erdogan:

“There was a young fellow from Ankara
Who was a terrific wankerer
Till he sowed his wild oats
With the help of a goat
But he didn’t even stop to thankera.”

Or maybe Boris wanted to finish the job of his grandfather Ali Kemal who wanted to turn Turkey into a British protectorate?

Anyways, the citizens of the Turkish home town of his ancestors showed great sense by offering to sacrifice lambs and not goats if he were to visit them.

Turkish town promises to ‘sacrifice many sheep in Boris’ honor’
Atlantis wrote:Have we come full cycle? The UK was always the most ardent defender of Turkish EU membership to strengthen Nato. However, during the referendum campaign, the Brexiteers changed tune and said Britain must leave the EU because of the danger of 80 million Turks coming to live in the UK if Turkey were to become an EU member. And now the UK is leaving, Boris wants Turkey to join?

I am not aware of ANYONE outside of the Westminster elite who is in favour of Turkey joining the EU. The idea that those of us who voted for Brexit are somehow in favour of Turkey joining it now is totally disingenuous.

As difficult as it may be for you to understand, the government is not always representatives of the will of the people. Politicians have their own interests and I'd suggest Turkey's EU membership is a prime example of this.

Was Angela reflecting German sentiment when she invited a million plus "refugees" into Germany?

Boris is a massive piece of shit. This news is shameful.

I didnt see him supporting their attempt to gain membership though in that source. I suppose “will help Turkey in any way" could include technically anything though, including that .....

In fairness I think BoJo has always been in favour of Turkish membership. He has a Turkish grandfather or some such. Although I suspect they were Greek rather than Turkish proper.
Thompson_NCL wrote:I am not aware of ANYONE outside of the Westminster elite who is in favour of Turkey joining the EU.

Unlike the EU, foreign policy in the UK is entirely decided by government. The British people don't seem to mind that lack of democratic oversight.

The idea that those of us who voted for Brexit are somehow in favour of Turkey joining it now is totally disingenuous.

Either you didn't read my post or you didn't follow the referendum, or both.

As difficult as it may be for you to understand, the government is not always representatives of the will of the people.

Not at all! To go by Pofo Brits that seems to be the rule rather than the exception in your country.

Was Angela reflecting German sentiment when she invited a million plus "refugees" into Germany?

Absolutely, even today, the majority of Germans is in favor of granting asylum to war refugees.

In fairness I think BoJo has always been in favour of Turkish membership. He has a Turkish grandfather or some such. Although I suspect they were Greek rather than Turkish proper.

You really didn't read the OP.
I am not aware of ANYONE outside of the Westminster elite who is in favour of Turkey joining the EU. The idea that those of us who voted for Brexit are somehow in favour of Turkey joining it now is totally disingenuous.

In the context of this discussion it doesnt matter. The point is Successive UK governments pushed for turkish membership as a 'favour' to the US and to 'strengthen' NATO. This, along with wanting to stretch the EU in order to make it a looser organization.

It is a terrible move. To continue now after brexit and the turkish 'coup' is double bad. In fact it is tripe bad because that shit stain boris used turkish future membership as an argument for leaving the EU.

@Atlantis is 100% right to call out this bullshit.
Atlantis wrote:Have we come full cycle? The UK was always the most ardent defender of Turkish EU membership to strengthen Nato. However, during the referendum campaign, the Brexiteers changed tune and said Britain must leave the EU because of the danger of 80 million Turks coming to live in the UK if Turkey were to become an EU member. And now the UK is leaving, Boris wants Turkey to join?

Please please Boris, I know you are a complete Buffoon, but can the UK stop interfering in future EU affairs. You said on television that you wanted to break away the EU. How can trying to get a new member into the EU be breaking away? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Turkey joining the EU, but that is the EU's decision. Why are we not concentrating in creating new British relationships for when we do leave the EU?

@Beren
Yes Beren, that Buffoon you see floating before you was nearly the next PM of the UK. You can see why UK politics today is in good health! How can we lose with safe hands Johnson as foreign secretary? We will have Nations smashing down the door of number 10 begging for trade deals with him at the helm!
B0ycey wrote:How can we lose with safe hands Johnson as foreign secretary? We will have Nations smashing down the door of number 10 begging for trade deals with him at the helm!

Exactly, all the experts were wrong (they are Nazis anways). Post-Brexit Britain will conquer world markets with exports of British political comedy. It will lead to a golden age of British cultural hegemony that will make the Beatles and The Stones look like choir boys. Boris is just the man for that. Those he cannot conquer he will kill by laughter. Top choice, Ms. May!

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]