Turkish PM Yildirim announces "grave countermeasures" against the Netherlands - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Frollein wrote:Freedom of assembly is a citizens' right. Meaning that you don't have to tolerate mass rallies of foreigners in your country. And 'security reasons' are perfecly valid in that context.

Of course. But just to let you know, the security concerns weren't 'in that context'. It was about rising tensions in the Dutch election. Which as it happens, is in my opinion a valid reason to prevent a rally. But again, in hindsight, hasn't turn out diplomatically wise.

:eh: Erdogan is using the threat of mass migration to hold Europe hostage to his over the top demands. Well, I guess you could say we have "refugees" in common in the same way that a mugger and his victim have the knife in common that he holds at the other's throat.

Both Europe and Turkey have a refugee crisis. So they do have a common interest. Turkey using refugees as a bargin chip is another issue all together.

As for Syria and the Middle East, Turkey's interest is to widen its sphere of influence and to reestablish the Ottoman Empire. Tell me how that would also be in the West's interest? Especially since I see no difference between Turkey's Sunni Islamism and the rest of Sunni Islamism already rampant in the region?

Again, another issue all together. Middle Eastern peace/security is in both Turkey's and Europe's interest. And then there is IS in Syria. Again a common enemy.
B0ycey wrote:Of course. But just to let you know, the security concerns weren't 'in that context'. It was about rising tensions in the Dutch election. Which as it happens, is in my opinion a valid reason to prevent a rally. But again, in hindsight, hasn't turn out diplomatically wise.

:eh: How is that not in that context? You don't let masses of people that are supposed to be integrating into your society be incited by an Islamist dictator with delusions of recreating the past Reich on your own soil, period. Diplomacy and war are two sides of one coin, and if one party oversteps the boundaries too far or too often, that coin flips. Or were you under the illusion that for Western Europe, the "end of history" has come?

Both Europe and Turkey have a refugee crisis. So they do have a common interest. Turkey using refugees as a bargin chip is another issue all together.

Europe is perfectly capable to secure its borders, our spineless politicians just wanted to avoid the nasty pictures. Instead we got nasty pictures from Bataclan and Breitscheid Platz. And no, if one party uses them as a "bargaining chip," we don't have a "common" interest anymore.

Again, another issue all together. Middle Eastern peace/security is in both Turkey's and Europe's interest. And then there is IS in Syria. Again a common enemy.

Are you serious? You cited that issue as one of our "common strategic interests." It's common knowledge that Turkey allowed IS fighters to be treated in their hospitals, bought oil from them and supported them in every way. With "allies" like that, you don't need enemies. How is ME peace in Turkey's interest? It wants to widen its zone of influence in northern Syria! Go to the Syrian war thread and inform yourself before you spout such nonsense!
Hindsite wrote:Calm down everybody. Donald Trump is the new American President. His plan is to Make America Great Again.
Part of the plan is to rebuild our military, but in the meantime diplomacy must rule the day.

But the military has been built enough, why do white southerners want to see their children and friends die, for a tv mongrel?
Frollein wrote::eh: How is that not in that context?

Because you cited the reason as 'freedom as assembly' being a security concern when it was to do with tension building up with protesters in the forthcoming Dutch election. So not in that context!

Are you serious? You cited that issue as one of our "common strategic interests." It's common knowledge that Turkey allowed IS fighters to be treated in their hospitals, bought oil from them and supported them in every way. With "allies" like that, you don't need enemies. How is ME peace in Turkey's interest? It wants to widen its zone of influence in northern Syria! Go to the Syrian war thread and inform yourself before you spout such nonsense!

Yes, no IS terrorist attacks in Turkey. They are complete allies. Perhaps you should inform yourself.

As for the ME. It is larger than just Northern Syria where they are fighting the Kurds. But your hatred for Muslims clouds your rational judgement. There is of course some merit to what you write (on here and the other thread) and Turkey under Erdogan does need a watchful eye. They are certainly not perfect. But if you think Europe would be better off with Turkey as an enemy rather an an ally you are certainly naive.
Die Welt wrote:Merkel made concrete commitments towards Turkey regarding the number of refugees

Unlike previously known, German Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) and Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte made concrete commitments for a legal refugee contingent during the negotiations on the EU refugee agreement with Turkey: Merkel and Rutte promised to take 150,000 to 250,000 Syrian refugees per year from Turkey. This is shown by researches for the book "Die Getriebenen - Merkel und Flüchtlingspolitik; Ein Report aus dem Innern der Macht", (Siedler-Verlag) by "Welt" journalist Robin Alexander.

On March 6, 2016, on the eve of the decisive EU Council summit, a meeting of the Chancellor with Rutte and former Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu took place at the EU Representation in Brussels. The Netherlands then held the EU Presidency.

The plan agreed by Merkel, Davutoglu and Rutte was presented to the other EU Council members on the following day as a surprising proposal by Turkey. The heads of state and government then agreed in the final document of the summit "voluntary admission for humanitarian reasons".

The actual number was not mentioned to the other Europeans of Merkel, Rutte and Davutoglu. However, the three heads of government had agreed on the number 150,000 to 250,000 by gentlemen's agreement. This is confirmed by several people who were involved in the negotiations.

I hope word makes the rounds in the Netherlands how Rutte fucked his own people over - and that his "hardliner" parody against Erdogan now won't help him against the backlash.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]