British MEP mocked at European Parliament over 'war with Spain' controversy - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Heisenberg wrote:What is the logic of your post? "It's ours because I say so, and that comparable situation is totally not comparable, again because I say so." Yeah, forgive me for not accepting this stellar logic. I have a feeling if I said "Ceuta and Melilla are just enclave cities that clearly belong to Morocco", you'd find a way of pretending the situations are somehow completely different. :lol:

Its logic is based on geographical integrity I guess, and by that logic Ceuta and Melilla should belong to Morocco indeed. However, what your logic is based on? Gibraltar belongs to the UK because they could nuke Madrid? No, I think you'd rather remind me of the referendum they held after more than a hundred years of British imperialist rule.

You'd better keep your preconceptions about me to yourself and stop pretending you're so smart and such you schmuck.
I'm not "pretending I'm so smart" - I'm simply pointing out a glaring double standard. My position is simple: If Britain should recognise Spanish sovereignty over Gibraltar, Spain and the European Union should acknowledge Moroccan sovereignty over Ceuta and Melilla. Since the latter isn't going to happen any time soon, any Spanish or EU moral posturing on this issue is just that, and I see no reason to take it seriously.

Of course, as it happens, I support Spain's claim on Ceuta and Melilla, because I know full well that the population has no desire to be under Moroccan rule.
Heisenberg wrote:Of course, as it happens, I support Spain's claim on Ceuta and Melilla, because I know full well that the population has no desire to be under Moroccan rule.

Of course they don't have the desire to be under Moroccan rule, but how does it matter? They shouldn't belong to Spain in the first place and such territories, islands, and rocks shouldn't have the right to choose. You actually support Spanish imperialism as you support British imperialism. I'm sure you also support Russian imperialism regarding Crimea as well as you support any kinds of imperialism as long as the population of the rock, island, peninsula, or territory in question has the desire to live under imperialist rule.
Beren wrote:Of course they don't have the desire to be under Moroccan rule, but how does it matter? They shouldn't belong to Spain in the first place and such territories, islands, and rocks shouldn't have the right to choose. You actually support Spanish imperialism as you support British imperialism. I'm sure you also support Russian imperialism regarding Crimea as well as you support any kinds of imperialism as long as the population of the rock, island, peninsula, or territory in question has the desire to live under imperialist rule.

Russia can make a better case for taking back Crimea than Spain can make for Gibraltar or Morocco for Ceuta/Melilla.

Not that I think Russia's behavior is acceptable.
Heisenberg wrote:Here's an idea: Spain can have Gibraltar when Morocco can have Ceuta and Melilla. ;)

I think its a good idea. In fact the best solution for the future is Gibraltar like spanish territory and Ceuta and Melilla like a Morrocan territory. Sadly for the spanish who live in the north of Africa but nowadays these frontiers are very problematic for us. But above all, the idea is coherence in the borders of the south of Europe.

Maybe with an interesting offer. For example, every inhabitant in Gibraltar could retain his properties and English could be a co-official language in that territory. Spain now have experience having territories with two languages.

I am sure that with diplomacy we can find a solution. UK is an admirable country in many things and we can be friends for long time.
Why this obsession with contiguous territories on maps? By that 'logic', Alaska should belong to Canada. And where do you stop? After all, nation-states themselves originated as a patchwork quilt of regions and principalities which were unified mainly by physical force, dynastic marriage or outright theft. In that sense, the fact that Nice belongs to France is an example of French 'imperialism'. Should the Channel Island be 'returned' to France, despite the fact that at no point in history did they ever belong to the French nation-state? It's ahistorical nonsense, propagated by people who feel annoyed that the map of Europe looks 'untidy'. :roll:
Oh my god, where would that lead to? :eek:

Nowhere we want to be, Beren.

For your and Decky's information, by that logic Nice could belong to either France or Italy. Simple, isn't it? :eek:

France should return Nice to Italy, forthwith! :excited:

Have you guys considered joining the National Bolshevik movement? There is a UK branch I believe. :lol:

We're Stalinists; what do you expect, Beren? :lol:
Potemkin wrote:Tell me, Beren: what territory do you think 'rightfully' belongs to Hungary? Hmm...? :)

Do you think you asked something hard to answer? :eh:

:lol:

mikema63 wrote:Next You'll be demanding the US give California back to mexico.

You don't understand the concept, or just didn't listen. It has more to do with geography than history. With Hungary as the only exception.
Oh I'm paying attention, I just think that the idea of ceding territory on the grounds of border gore is silly enough to be comparable to the idea of giving mexico back the 6th largest economy in the world.

Actually now that I think of it, it would probably be more like giving mexico to California since they would probably control everything due to population size and wealth.
mikema63 wrote:Oh I'm paying attention, I just think that the idea of ceding territory on the grounds of border gore is silly enough to be comparable to the idea of giving mexico back the 6th largest economy in the world.

Actually now that I think of it, it would probably be more like giving mexico to California since they would probably control everything due to population size and wealth.

So you just make up a silly idea to prove how silly another idea is. :lol:

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]