British MEP mocked at European Parliament over 'war with Spain' controversy - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Sevillano wrote:Because Gibraltar its a problem from 1715, a hundred years before from the Napoleon's wars. But you're right. Perhaps it could have been better if they had not intervened in Spain. We will never know.

I know it predates the Napoleonic wars, my point is that you people should be more grateful, Britain sent its young men to die liberating you from French occupation (something the Spaniards were too lazy and cowardly to do themselves) and you don't show one bit of gratitude or common decency about it.

I can't wait for the Catalans and the Basque to be free, Spain will exist only in the history books soon enough anyway and the world will be better without it. Your Franco loving fascist country will go the same way as your armada did.

I know it predates the Napoleonic wars, my point is that you people should be more grateful, Britain sent its young men to die liberating you from French occupation (something the Spaniards were too lazy and cowardly to do themselves) and you don't show one bit of gratitude or common decency about it.

Fun fact: the reason Spain put up such a poor show of defending themselves from the French is because they had blown their military budget building a vast fleet of ships to attack the British. Hilariously, the French rudely interrupted them by invading their country. They had to call on the assistance of the British, the very people they had been planning to attack, to help prevent the French from overrunning the entire country. Even more hilariously, Horatio Nelson had smashed the shiny new Spanish fleet into matchwood at Trafalgar anyway just a few years earlier. Lol. :lol:
I always appreciate you sharing some history on PoFo Pote. :) On this particular occasion I think I will stick to my lazy and cowardly hypothesis though and I have evidence to back it up! Have you heard about battle of Barrosa? 10,000 Spaniards and a 5000 strong British/ Portuguese division faced 10,000 Frenchmen. Sounds like good odds no?

Sadly the Spaniards were too cowardly to actually do much of anything (any famously one part of their army retreated and quit the battle field on hearing another part of their own army open fire).

The Anglo-Portuguese on their own had to fight the Frogs while out numbered 2 to 1 with the enemy holding the high ground (and after a punishing night march for the Anglo-Portuguese) and still managed to capture a French Eagle (the first one the British army captured in the war and of course captured by an Irishman fighting for the Royal Irish Rangers).
To be fair to the Spanish, they had just endured centuries of political absolutism, religious obscurantism and economic stagnation. Their peasantry weren't exactly sturdy yeomen. They made piss-poor military conscripts for the same reason the Italians made piss-poor military conscripts. It was not always thus - a few centuries earlier, after all, Spain had produced men like Hernan Cortes and Francisco Pizarro, who had conquered most of the Americas with just a few hundred troops. In the intervening centuries, the Counter-Reformation and obscurantist absolutism had done their dark work.... :hmm:
Decky wrote:I know it predates the Napoleonic wars, my point is that you people should be more grateful, Britain sent its young men to die liberating you from French occupation (something the Spaniards were too lazy and cowardly to do themselves) and you don't show one bit of gratitude or common decency about it.

Is funny because in Spain nowadays many people think that maybe for us could be better with a french revolution's ideas. Many people in Spain are republicans and dont like the monarchy.

Decky wrote:I can't wait for the Catalans and the Basque to be free, Spain will exist only in the history books soon enough anyway and the world will be better without it. Your Franco loving fascist country will go the same way as your armada did.

We can not see the close future but Spain exist nowaday man. Maybe you should read an atlas. In any case, I love the culture from Catalonia and Basque country. Even if those territories soon become independent, I think we can have agood relationship with them. And also we, Spanish and British, could find a good solution for Gibraltar. The wars from XVIII century are far away. We have a complicated relation but can be better in the future. "There are no eternal friends or eternal enemies, only eternal interests".

Maybe I disapointed you with my ideas. I don't know if you have prejudices about how is now the people from Spain, but I can help you for change it.
Decky, don't you just hate it when traditional enemies are so relentlessness nice? Lol. ;)

Sevillano, couldn't you be a good chap and gloat about the glorious past when Spain ruled over most of Europe and came close to destroying England? Or maybe boast about how you expelled the Moors at the point of a sword and burned the Jews and Protestants as heretics? And then give a evil laugh? Not even a sinister chuckle? No? Oh well.... *sigh* :hmm:
Potemkin wrote:Decky, don't you just hate it when traditional enemies are so relentlessness nice? Lol. ;)

Sevillano, couldn't you be a good chap and gloat about the glorious past when Spain ruled over most of Europe and came close to destroying England? Or maybe boast about how you expelled the Moors at the point of a sword and burned the Jews and Protestants as heretics? And then give a evil laugh? Not even a sinister chuckle? No? Oh well.... *sigh* :hmm:

Erm Potemkin there is nothing at all evil about expelling Protestants as heretics! I would probably do it tomorrow if I came to power in Mercia, imagine how much good Midlands soil would be left for the remaining Catholic population! We would be rich and have room to expand and would live in plenty and idleness!

The Prods could go live with you in Scotland or go to America or something.

And also we, Spanish and British, could find a good solution for Gibraltar.

It already has been solved, it was solved at the tip of a bayonet and that is the only thing in politics that truly achieves anything. If Spain wants war you can have it, remind me who has the nuclear arsenal and who does not?
Erm Potemkin there is nothing at all evil about expelling Protestants as heretics! I would probably do it tomorrow if I came to power in Mercia, imagine how much good Midlands soil would be left for the remaining Catholic population! We would be rich and have room to expand and would live in plenty and idleness!

The Prods could go live with you in Scotland or go to America or something.

Sorry about that, Decky - I forgot for a second that you were one of the Papist enemies within. it seems you do have something in common with our no-one-expects-the-Spanish-Inquisition friend Sevillano. :)
Decky wrote:It already has been solved, it was solved at the tip of a bayonet and that is the only thing in politics that truly achieves anything. If Spain wants war you can have it, remind me who has the nuclear arsenal and who does not?

That argument has no sense. UK and Spain are in the same military alliance. Spain is now a pacific country (and also United kingdom ) and our army is focuses in defending the country. No, my friend, I am talking about diplomacy. I can understand that if you a re a patriotic person you are proud of your country. I am sure that in the future, the territory of Gibraltar can be the next autonomic spanish territory, with english as local language and with their deputy in Madrid.

our no-one-expects-the-Spanish-Inquisition friend Sevillano.

Lol
Decky wrote:I am not at all patriotic I hate the UK, but I hate Europe far more. You will never have Gibraltar. Never. Nations where everyone has a two hour sleep in the middle of the day do not defeat world powers.

I dont hate UK. I think that's a nice country. I have visited London once and I enjoyed a lot its museums and also the monuments. Well, with some problems but who do not? The history of this country between XVII and XXX is incredible. A relative small country changing the world. Maybe with a black point in their relations with Ireland, but this is now water under the bridge.

I see that you have some stereotypes about Spain but is not your fault. Well, during the summer it's hard for some jobs. For example, in my city we have more than 40 degrees celsius degrees. And some business, especially the small ones, with a single worker like stationer shop or press store, close in the middle of the day. But not the bigger ones like supermarkets.

I can understand that you do not like the idea or re-organize the borders of the south of Europe and I respect it. I do not want to change your opinion but I know that many British people love Spain and they do not have serious problems with my country to find good status for this territory. A new status in Spain respecting the local culture. I am not talking about the war. War is now a thing from the past in Europe. The fact is that we have thousands of british living here and at the same time Spanish living in UK. I like in general the British that I can meet in Spain. They are friendly people, more than other people from other parts of Europe.
I dont hate UK. I think that's a nice country. I have visited London once and I enjoyed a lot its museums and also the monuments. Well, with some problems but who do not? The history of this country between XVII and XXX is incredible. A relative small country changing the world. Maybe with a black point in their relations with Ireland, but this is now water under the bridge.

Water under the bridge? :eh: Britain is still using its military to occupy a quarter of Ireland.

Gibraltar would be fucked if Spain closed the borders.

I can think of a way the UK could fuck Spain more.

Why is it that Spanish speaking people have a natural desire to be humiliated by the British military? They tried it in the Falklands too where another Spanish speaking pathetically inconsequential dago state played at war and came off a lot worse.
Sevillano wrote:I dont hate UK. I think that's a nice country. I have visited London once and I enjoyed a lot its museums and also the monuments.

Every country is a nice country then, there are lots of museums and monuments in each capital. :)

It may be hard to believe but I've always been an Anglophile. Even the Nazis were Anglophiles while they were bombing England. :lol:

I always wanted Britain to join Germany and France, now they will ally with Russia perhaps and the UK will be either Airstrip One or part of Scandinavia. :hmm:

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]