Pope likens migrant holding centers to 'concentration camps' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
The comparison to 'concentration camps' is irrelevant. Look at the highlighted portion of the article. Is this basically the mighty Catholic Church throwing the towel into the ring? All that anti-abortion and -contraceptives rhetoric, and now the great Papist Ayatollah of the Catholic Church is declaring that Italy - the heartland of Catholicism - needs immigrants, because they can't churn out enough new infants.

But not just any immigrants, they need Muslim immigrants. :lol: :lol: :lol:

World News | Sat Apr 22, 2017 | 11:46pm EDT
Pope likens migrant holding centers to 'concentration camps'

By Philip Pullella | ROME

Pope Francis urged governments on Saturday to get migrants and refugees out of holding centers, saying many had become "concentration camps".

During a visit to a Rome basilica, where he met migrants, Francis told of his trip to a camp on the Greek island of Lesbos last year.

He met a Muslim refugee from the Middle East there who told him how "terrorists came to our country". Islamists had slit the throat of the man's Christian wife because she refused to throw her crucifix on the ground.

"I don't know if he managed to leave that concentration camp, because refugee camps, many of them, are of concentration (type) because of the great number of people left there inside them," the pope said.

The American Jewish Committee (AJC) later urged the pope "to reconsider his regrettable choice of words" for using the term concentration camp.

"The conditions in which migrants are currently living in some European countries may well be difficult, and deserve still greater international attention, but concentration camps they certainly are not," the AJC's head, David Harris, said in a statement.

"The Nazis and their allies erected and used concentration camps for slave labor and the extermination of millions of people during World War II. There is no comparison to the magnitude of that tragedy," he said.

Francis praised countries helping refugees and thanked them for "bearing this extra burden, because it seems that international accords are more important than human rights".

He did not elaborate but appeared to be referring to agreements that keep migrants from crossing borders, such as deals between the European Union (EU) and Libya and the EU and Turkey. Humanitarian groups have criticized both deals.

The pope urged people in northern Italy, home to an anti-immigrant party, to take more migrants, hoping that the generosity of southern Italy could "infect the north a bit".

Noting that Italy had one of the world's lowest birth rates, he said: "If we also close the door to migrants, this is called suicide."

The basilica of St Bartholomew is a shine to Christians killed for their faith in the 20th and 21st centuries.

It contains a prayer book used by Father Jacques Hamel, the 85-year-old French priest killed by Islamist militants who stormed into a church in Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray last year, forced Hamel to his knees, and slit his throat while they chanted in Arabic. His sister Roselyne attended the service.

(Editing by Andrew Roche and Paul Tait)

Reuters
Istanbuller wrote:Pope doesn't see them as musli migrants but potentially future Catholics. The church has to look sweet to outsiders to get them on its side.

Not sure about it, it seems that this Pope is just a Cuckold, he does what his financiers and non-Christian teachers want him to do.

All Popes are de facto dependent from Rothschilds at least since 1832

However, in the early 19th century, the Rothschild family of Naples built up close relations with the Vatican Bank, and the association between the family and the Vatican continued into the 20th century. In 1832, when Pope Gregory XVI was seen meeting Carl von Rothschild, observers were shocked that Rothschild was not required to kiss the Pope's feet, as was then required for all other visitors to the Pope, including monarchs.[39] The 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia described the Rothschilds as "the guardians of the papal treasure".[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothschild_family

Ratzinger was not "friendly" enough to non-Christians, and that was the reason why he had to go.

Usually all popes serve till they die, but Ratzinger was an exception.

Why?

Maybe he could not satisfy all demands of his banksters, because they were incompatible with his moral norms and religious believes?

Maybe he really believed that after his death he may go to hell, if continued?

:D

In any case, the new Pope Francis is loved by non-Christians very much, he says that non-Christians were his "teachers", and this speaks volumes.

Bergoglio also published a book together with Rabbi Abraham Skorka, president of the Buenos Aires Rabbinical Seminary, that examines a range of issues from Jewish and Catholic perspectives.

Rabbi Sergio Bergman, a Buenos Aires legislator, was referred to by Bergoglio as “one of my teachers.”

As Pope, Bergoglio has held meetings and worked with the Latin American Jewish Congress.
Upon his consecration, Francis sent a message to Rome's chief rabbi, Riccardo Di Segni, inviting him to mass in the Vatican on March 19. "I sincerely hope to be able to contribute to the progress that relations between Jews and Catholics have enjoyed since the Second Vatican Council," he said.

Claudio Epelman, director of the Latin American Jewish Congress, said that “I think it is the first time a pope has been elected that the Jewish community knows previously, and has a long history [with]," and that he is "very, very optismistic" about the future of relations between Jews and Catholics.

“If you had to choose a pope by Jewish interest, you would have had to choose Bergoglio,” Epelman said.

Julio Schlosser, the president of a Buenos Aires synagogue and the other Argentine delegate in Greece, said that Francis is “my friend and a friend of the rabbis” who is “very close to the Jewish community.”

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/pope-francis

As we see, Francis does what is in the perceived interes of Jews.

But are the interests of Jews and Christians really the same?
Did Jews really change their attitude concerning Jesus Christ?
Do Jews really love homogeneous White Christian societies, or are they eager to promote "Multiculturalism" in Europe?

They say that Multiculturalism is "our" strength.

Whose strength?
Cui bono?
The host nations?
If that was the case, why do they not push for open boarders and Multiculturalism in Israel?

Simple questions and simple answers...

BTW, white European Christians are abandoning the Chucrhe en masse since this new pope took office, they do not pay any Church Taxes any more (including me), so the Church is losing money and followers...

And it is idiotic to believe that Muslims will convert to Christianity.

According to Islam Jesus was a Muslim, the first messenger or Prophet, and Christianity is just a pre-cursor of Islam, and all Christians have eventually accept the second messender, the Mohammed, who is the last Prophet.

If Pope believes that Muslims will convert to Christianity, speak reject Mohammed, or that Jews will eventually accept Jesus Christ as a Messiah, then he is insane.

No, it seems to me that Pope does not care a lot abut the future Christianity, and he is not afraid of the hell...
It may be that the Pope does not understand the implications of mass immigration for European societies.

I would be interested to know what the Pope's position is on Roman Catholics who oppose mass immigration, often for very valid reasons.

It would appear that Pope Francis does not realise that the extreme demographic shifts that result from mass settlement in Europe will lead to the Balkanisation of the entire continent. If by 2075 the French population is 49 percent French Catholic and 50 percent Algerian Muslim the country will cease to function.
Last edited by Political Interest on 23 Apr 2017 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Politicians want to speak about morality, the clergy about politics (but really about both). One should think that with the vast amounts of wealth owned by the Catholic Church they would be happy to contribute maybe 25% of their wealth to ease their suffering. Alas, even those who are holier than the rest of us are as corrupted by wealth as are we all, railing against the very system from which they prosper.
Technically, a concentration camp is any place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities. Concentration may be a prelude to execution or forced labor, but that is not always the case.

A prison for normal criminals is not a concentration camp. Japanese internment camps were. Holding centers for refugees fleeing war are not concentration camps, since the people organizing the camps are not going out and rounding up people to populate them. They are a product of war.

Where the Pope is wrong is conflating the issues of immigration, refugee status, and Italian demographic decline.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Technically, a concentration camp is any place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities. Concentration may be a prelude to execution or forced labor, but that is not always the case.

A prison for normal criminals is not a concentration camp. Japanese internment camps were. Holding centers for refugees fleeing war are not concentration camps, since the people organizing the camps are not going out and rounding up people to populate them. They are a product of war.

Where the Pope is wrong is conflating the issues of immigration, refugee status, and Italian demographic decline.

Then there's also the fact that they can leave the refugee camps any time to go home - they choose to stay, though, for the unrealistic promises that the asylum industry keeps dangling before their noses.
My wife was born in a refugee camp on the Thai border. I don't know if the population density was high enough to conflate it with a concentration camp but the UN eventually resettled most of the residents back into Cambodia. I think this was a good move since she now has a country and national identity of her own rather than a residue of a country under Vietnamese occupation.

I wonder what the Pope makes of the use of refugee camps as RnR centers for soldiers. It's been estimated that half of the residents of the refugee camps were KR soldiers getting fed and nursed by Oxfam trucks before returning to the hills and jungles they controlled.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Technically, a concentration camp is any place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities. Concentration may be a prelude to execution or forced labor, but that is not always the case.

Not all refugee camps are the same. There are well over sixty million displaced people in total. Living in a refugee camp in the monsoons in Burma with little or no sanitation ain't much cop. Living in an African refugee camp swapping sexual favours for food with soldiers, soldiers who are there to protect, ain't much cop.
Pope Francis is a hypocrite of the nth degree, he pays lip service to eradicating poverty while sitting on a fortune in the Vatican. Rwanda and the genocide was aided and abetted by the Catholic Church. The Catholic blessings of Right Wing governments and dictators in central and South American since WWII are conveniently forgotten.
The funds of the Catholic Curch should be confiscated, its clergy sent to refugee camps to assist.

Frollein wrote:Then there's also the fact that they can leave the refugee camps any time to go home - they choose to stay, though, for the unrealistic promises that the asylum industry keeps dangling before their noses.

This is very simplistic and reductionist.
Palestinian refugees can't go home. Muslims in Myanmar hell holes, so called refugee camps, can't go home unless they enjoy being raped and brutally murdered. The Syrian refugees in mega refugee camps would love to go home, as you know, there is a civil war in Syria.

Francis praised countries helping refugees and thanked them for "bearing this extra burden, because it seems that international accords are more important than human rights".

He did not elaborate but appeared to be referring to agreements that keep migrants from crossing borders, such as deals between the European Union (EU) and Libya and the EU and Turkey. Humanitarian groups have criticized both deals.

The pope urged people in northern Italy, home to an anti-immigrant party, to take more migrants, hoping that the generosity of southern Italy could "infect the north a bit".

I agree with Pope Francis in part, but considering the Vatican is its own country and he has invited/asked for more generosity I can only assume he and the Vatican will be adhereing to their own advice and welcoming tens of thousands of refugees in the coming days from these so called concentration camps. After all, charity begins at home right? And Jesus fed the five thousand, he didnt ask the Romans to do it for him. Anyone can pass on the responsibility and say others should do more, very few lead the way. I am hoping Francis is no hypocrite and actually leads the way.
Frollein wrote:This thread is about refugee centers in Europe, specifically in Greece, so stop dragging irrelevant points into your sorry excuse of an argument.

Have it your way.

The majority of refugees that cross the Mediterranean come from Syria, they can't go back home at the moment as they fear for their safety and their families safety, forced to risk everything to escape.
You make the mistake of blaming the victims for their plight.
Fear of persecution in armed conflict or fear of gross violation of their human rights is the definition of a refugee.

According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the top three nationalities of entrants of the over one million Mediterranean Sea arrivals between January 2015 and March 2016 were Syrian (46.7%), Afghan (20.9%) and Iraqi (9.4%).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea ... gee_crisis
I think we can learn a lot about how to treat Muslims from the way Muslims treat Muslims. The way the lefties portray it, you'd think Muslims are some sort of innocent victims of the West, so for example when we bomb Muslims, its virtually always because some other Muslims are begging us to bomb them.

Similarly with concentration camps. Muslim countries have put Palestinian Muslim refugees into concentration camps for generations. Many governments have used concentration camps. The Soviet Union used concentration camps on a huge scale. Stalin sent millions upon millions of working class people to the concentration camps.
@Rich

History lesson.

The British Empire. Between 1900 and 1902, the British Empire, led by Lord Kitchener, used concentration camps. At the time, they were fighting the Boer people in the Second Boer War in South Africa. At first, the British were not able to beat the Boers.

Altogether the British exterminated 27,000 in the concentration camps in South Africa. Very civilised? lol
I'm a Catholic, but I can't agree with this at all. Concentration camps were places where huge masses of people were brutally murdered and often for a silly reason. Migrant holding centers certainly are not great, (and I don't need to have been to one to know that) but they are nothing like concentration camps. Conditions of life there may be awful and death rates may be uncomfortable but those places weren't designed to kill.

Furthermore, I believe that migrant holding centers shouldn't exist in the first place, not because we should let migrants in anywhere they please, but because they shouldn't HAVE to go anywhere in the first place. Finding a home for migrants is foolish and wasteful. It endangers us and them because our viewpoints and customs are ever so different. I've heard of the violence in Sweden and Germany that is caused by refugees, so to me it quite clear bringing them into our own countries is NOT a solution at all. They will try to replace our customs with theirs, our laws with theirs, and eventually our governments with theirs, and finally our countries will collapse and seek refuge in others, continuing the cycle.

Pity and compassion should be shown, but not in that way. You don't kill a weed by plucking it's tips off. You kill it by pulling it out by it's roots. To me instead of letting them into our countries and disrupting our economies and lifestyle and having to deal with extra politics and migrant camps, we should instead get rid of the problem that CAUSED them to leave their countries in the first place. Playing the babysitter of the world is annoying, but letting the problem fester isn't a solution either.

The violence and death in migrant camps is a mouse in a room full of bears when compared to Nazi concentration camps.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of […]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]