Why so many US military troops in Europe? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
US troops in Europe were designed to function mainly as a tripwire. They guaranteed US involvement if any cross-border incursion occurred. It's a legitimate question whether such a tripwire is now justified.
An occupation force. The US never left Europe after it prevented the Soviets liberating all of Europe at the end of the war by occupying the west before the red army could get there.
Scamp wrote:We have as many troops in Europe as Europe has. Why?

Because the History since WWII and because we are part of the same military alliance. One thing more. The decision to have or not troops from USA isnt made by European Union, this decision is made by each of the countries. For example, in Spain we have two USA bases: Moron and Rota, in the south of the country. Was Spain (during the Franco's dictature) who autorised these facilities.
Suntzu wrote:Time for the U.S. to get out of Europe and let them pay for their own defense or learn to speak Russian.
Another reason why the EU should have an international army. Defense would be cheaper and more efficient for Europe.
Suntzu wrote:Time for the U.S. to get out of Europe and let them pay for their own defense or learn to speak Russian.

Russia can be a menace but don't forget that this country have less GDP than Italy. But also I am not sure that Russia can be a menace for west countries. Maybe only for Ucrania. Well, there is a coincidence between USA and Russia. Both of them dont want an European Union strong with Germany like the leader. I am not pro german, but I think its a fact and in the other hand is normal.

In any case, I understand that USA defend his interest and I believe that the relation between europeans and americans will be good, like in the last decades. The current problem occur only because Trump and Merkel had some diferences, nothing that diplomacy cant resolve.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]