If the EU suspends Poland...? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
fokker wrote:Probably because relations with Hungary and not that good and Austria likes to criticize Orban. Which leads to conclusion if Austria wants any influence it needs to be more active and expand Austerlitz group with Slovenia and Croatia and Hungary should be the last country to join as they are trouble makers. I expect at least 10 years to elapse before this can happen as Austria seems to have little interest in political cooperation.

Ever since WWII, Austria has liked to see itself as some kind of mediator, not quite as isolationist as the Swiss, but rather being neutral or not taking sides. It also fits with its geographic location right at the centre of Europe, between east and west, and north and south. This used to be and I think still is quite a popular narrative with Austrians.

Shortly after the refugee crisis was at its height, there were reports in the press that Austria would be trying to leverage its influence and historical ties to close the Balkan route. It was the first time, as far as I know and remember, that Austria's political influence and the (implied) reference to Austria Hungary was treated with some seriousness. Usually, any mention of this, except where it involved economic opportunities, would have been met with mockery and called hubris. While I wouldn't view this as a watershed moment and it obviously didn't involve Eastern Europe, I thought back then that it was interesting.

Should a reorientation happen, it will, as you say, take time, not least because half a century of almost complete division by the iron curtain has left its mark and Austria has little to gain from it. So at this point, Austria will not rock the boat or take sides in any general sense.

Beren wrote:Isn't it the FPÖ's idea that Austria should join the V4? Orban could agree with it perhaps if they were in power. However, Hungary is not interested in any expansion of the group. If Austria joined, it would become a leader, which Orban wouldn't like to happen obviously.

Yes, the FPÖ is in favour, although Hofer during the presidential election campaign was non-committal when asked about it.
If Poland follows the recent path, it may become ripe for another partition sooner or later. The Western part of the country could remain in the EU, whereas the Eastern part could join the Wild East.

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]