GDP Growth Attributable to EU Single Market - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
From 20 years of the European single market, published in 2013 and covering the period 1992 to 2008.

EU Law and Publications (page 13) wrote:
Main Macroeconomic Achievements and Impact

EU27 GDP in 2008 was 2.13% or €233 billion higher than it would have been if the Single Market had not been launched in 1992.

In 2008 alone, this amounted to an average of €500 extra inincome per person in the EU27.

The gains come from the Single Market programme, liberalisation in network industries such as energy and telecommunication, and the enlargement of the EU to 27 member countries.■Over the same period, the Single Market helped to create 2.77 million new jobs – a 1.3% increase in total EU employment.

That's 0.14% per year.

I realise now that Brexit was a mistake. At the very least the UK must stay in the single market or it is doomed. Doomed!
Thank you for this information, Kaiserschmarrn. Now that we know Britain has no functional economy and cannot survive on its own, how long until we start seeing everyone becoming poor, countless people starving in the streets, and basically a real-life enactment of Children of Men conditions in the UK? When will the Brits realize how wrong they were, and come back to Europe?
Were we part of the EU when we were the richest nation in the world? Nope.

We don't need shit from Europe. All it does is hold us back to benefit the Germans (exactly what the EU was designed to do in the first place). It stops us putting up tarries to protect Britain from being flooded by shoddy European goods and labour, it stops us nationalising vital industries. It is Europe that needs us not the other way around. The tax paid by British workers funds the idle lifestyles of the Spanish and the French "workers."

We will outlive the EU just as we outlived the Roman empire, Napoleon's empire, the Holy Roman Empire and the 3rd Reich. You Europeans will not win. It is the shame the French were allowed to get nuclear weapons otherwise we would be able to come to the continent and give you people another lesson in humility, all the other ones we gave you have obviously been forgotten. :roll:
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:From 20 years of the European single market, published in 2013 and covering the period 1992 to 2008.

That's 0.14% per year.

I realise now that Brexit was a mistake. At the very least the UK must stay in the single market or it is doomed. Doomed!

Okay, i understand. Now give it 100 years and let compound interest do its job ;) This is a serious post and not some satirical joke.
JohnRawls wrote:
Okay, i understand. Now give it 100 years and let compound interest do its job ;) This is a serious post and not some satirical joke.

That's not a good rebuttal, John. I suspect that the vast majority of Europeans imagine the gains to be significantly larger and hence also the detrimental effects of leaving.

Also:
1) This is an EU publication, so I consider this to be an upper bound.
2) Despite being published in 2013, they stopped in 2008 in order to exclude the downturn. However, more economic integration does not only lead to gains in good times but also to costs in bad times. Clearly, the somewhat lackluster numbers would have looked much worse had they included all years up to 2012.
3) For compound interest to have an effect interest rates must be higher than 0. ;)
Sacastic overtones are difficult to comprehend in reading. Perhaps you shouldn't use them unless you also address a point. Nonetheless there is more to EU membership than GDP anyway. But you can't seriously believe standards of living haven't increased since 1992. And this is what is important to members East of the Curtain.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Non-sequitur or strawman, I'm not sure, but I'd expect better from you regardless.

More objective. There is more to membership than GDP. And I was pointing this out. Perhaps the UK should withdraw from this Brexit for this reason. I doubt the knuckleheads in Westminster see this though.

But as this thread is on GDP, even your post shows growth anyway. It doesn't even take into account investment in infrastructure and productivity that no model could take into account for GDP or the obvious possibilities of downturns or economic challenges that would occur with competition from other EU members who are within the club. Take a look at Ukraines economic distress (or a post published by someone talking about Georgia's economy only today). Look at what they are, and what they could be inside and outside the EU.
B0ycey wrote:More objective. There is more to membership than GDP. And I was pointing this out. Perhaps the UK should withdraw from this Brexit for this reason. I doubt the knuckleheads in Westminster see this though.

But as this thread is on GDP, even your post shows growth anyway. It doesn't even take into account investment in infrastructure and productivity that no model could take into account for GDP or the obvious possibilities of downturns or economic challenges that would occur with competition from other EU members who are within the club. Take a look at Ukraines economic distress (or a post published by someone talking about Georgia's economy only today). Look at what they are, and what they could be inside and outside the EU.

Isn't Ukraine a post-soviet hell hole in the midst of a Russian invasion? Maybe an in-or-out comparison would be more reasonable if you had picked Norway or Switzerland instead.
SolarCross wrote:Isn't Ukraine a post-soviet hell hole in the midst of a Russian invasion? Maybe an in-or-out comparison would be more reasonable if you had picked Norway or Switzerland instead.

They are members of the single market and subject to the ECJ - along with the free movement laws. If the UK want that, I doubt they would find much resistance in Europe during talks. But they want to make their own trade deals and reduce migration so that is one hell of a hurdle to jump during talks.

But anyway, yes, both nations prosper outside of the EU, but only because the EU is prosperous. They are also as good as members without votes in Brussels. They aren't good examples to illustrate the benefits of the EU in terms of GDP because they are in the single market and customs union. The best examples are nations in Europe who aren't. And that would be Ukraine and Georgia.
British GDP would be higher if wages had risen with demand rather than millions of Eastern Europeans being imported. I remember being told that no-frills airlines were a benefit of EU membership and I could happily live without them.

It's mostly Germany that benefits from having a cheaper currency and easy access to export markets. The Deutschmark would have doubled in value if Greece and Spain weren't available to suppress it.
B0ycey wrote:
More objective. There is more to membership than GDP. And I was pointing this out. Perhaps the UK should withdraw from this Brexit for this reason. I doubt the knuckleheads in Westminster see this though.

Well, the main thrust of the Remain campaign and also EU supporters on the continent was and is the detrimental economic consequences. Leaving the single market is always portrayed as nothing short of devastating to the economy. Add to this that there are with few exceptions no alternative voices in the media in Europe (as opposed to the UK) and I would contend that most Europeans are at the very least misled. Moreover, as mentioned above, I wouldn't expect the EC to be modest about the single market's contribution and the recession years are conspicuously absent from the analysis.

Productivity growth should be reflected in GDP growth and I'm not sure what you mean by economic challenges through competition. Conventional wisdom has it that competition is a, if not the, great economic driver, so that should be good for both sides.

As for Ukraine, you are being ridiculous. Let me assure you, B0ycey, the country you live in is nothing like Ukraine, whether that's with respect to corruption, democratic institutions and culture, or stage of economic development. Ukraine is nowhere close to being eligible to become a member and this is not something the EU will or can do for them. It's the countries themselves which have to meet a host of criteria to be even considered. The UK on the other hand is among the most advanced countries in pretty much all respects and has been for centuries. I mean no offence to Ukraine, but it's quite odd and sad that you as a Brit would make that comparison.
B0ycey wrote:They are members of the single market and subject to the ECJ...

...they are in the single market and customs union.

Switzerland is definitely not "subject to the ECJ" or part of the customs union. The EEA solution has never been an option.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Well, the main thrust of the Remain campaign and also EU supporters on the continent was and is the detrimental economic consequences. Leaving the single market is always portrayed as nothing short of devastating to the economy. Add to this that there are with few exceptions no alternative voices in the media in Europe (as opposed to the UK) and I would contend that most Europeans are at the very least misled. Moreover, as mentioned above, I wouldn't expect the EC to be modest about the single market's contribution and the recession years are conspicuously absent from the analysis.

The single market/custom union are very efficient models actually. It keeps the wealth within the Unions, keeps members goods competitive from foreign imports with the Unions, keeps standards in goods high and allow incentives and affordability for businesses to invest in jobs within poorer members to both spread the wealth throughout Europe and increase GDP/jobs for these poorer members.

Productivity growth should be reflected in GDP growth and I'm not sure what you mean by economic challenges through competition. Conventional wisdom has it that competition is a, if not the, great economic driver, so that should be good for both sides.

Economy challenges for non-members businesses in terms that they have to pay tariffs that member nations don't to sell their products within the single market along with the fact they have to adhere to the members rules to sell there too. It is difficult to increase national GDP if your businesses are restricted to your own market - and almost impossible if your market is poor.

As for Ukraine, you are being ridiculous. Let me assure you, B0ycey, the country you live in is nothing like Ukraine, whether that's with respect to corruption, democratic institutions and culture, or stage of economic development. Ukraine is nowhere close to being eligible to become a member and this is not something the EU will or can do for them. It's the countries themselves which have to meet a host of criteria to be even considered. The UK on the other hand is among the most advanced countries in pretty much all respects and has been for centuries. I mean no offence to Ukraine, but it's quite odd and sad that you as a Brit would make that comparison.

I disagree, Ukraine is a very good example. Granted things since the revolution are bad, but they weren't much better prior to 2014. If you compare them to their Warsaw pact brothers who are within the single market, ask yourself why Ukraine is so much worse off and are indeed corrupt with no chance of EU membership any time soon? Perhaps it is because they tried to remain within the Soviet model while other nations looked for change. A great GDP figure for a nation that has a fantastic food export economy should be easily possible. EU membership would indeed make this achievable. But the nation has an East/West split today with the only possible way to solve the problem IMO is to divide the country into two. Then West Ukraine could easily become an EU member. But until the West are prepared to sit down with Russia to create a solution both parties are happy with, I will acknowledge that Ukraine will not be a EU member any time soon.
Rugoz wrote:Switzerland is definitely not "subject to the ECJ" or part of the customs union. The EEA solution has never been an option.

Switzerland have had to adhere and change laws their laws for single market access. So has Norway.

I assume the EEA comment was for clarity as nobody mentioned it.

Nonetheless, this was not the point. What do you think would happen to the Swiss economy should it leave the single market? Would it benefit or lose out?
B0ycey wrote:Switzerland have had to adhere and change laws their laws for single market access. So has Norway.

I assume the EEA comment was for clarity as nobody mentioned it.

Nonetheless, this was not the point. What do you think would happen to the Swiss economy should it leave the single market? Would it benefit or lose out?

- Switzerland has bilateral treaties with the EU, but the ECJ has no jurisdiction in Switzerland. EU laws are adopted autonomously (unlike EEA members).
- The EEA comment was kind of misplaced since the EFTA court is responsible for EFTA members (except Switzerland), not the ECJ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFTA_Court
- Switzerland has access to the single market, it's not really a member. It depends on which bilaterial treaties would be affected.
Rugoz wrote:- Switzerland has bilateral treaties with the EU, but the ECJ has no jurisdiction in Switzerland. EU laws are adopted autonomously (unlike EEA members).
- The EEA comment was kind of misplaced since the EFTA court is responsible for EFTA members (except Switzerland), not the ECJ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFTA_Court
- Switzerland has access to the single market, it's not really a member. It depends on which bilaterial treaties would be affected.

Being a Swiss resident, I will not argue with what you wrote (especially as it's technically correct), but that wasn't my point anyway. Perhaps you could bring a Swiss perspective to this argument. How do you think the Swiss economy would fair outside and completely independent of EU markets and laws? Would GDP growth rates improve without these bilateral agreements? Do these agreements improve living standards for Switzerland? Or could Switzerland be just as successful keeping their money with independent laws and raising their middle finger at Brussels to trade among itself?
B0ycey wrote:Being a Swiss resident

How do you think the Swiss economy would fair outside and completely independent of EU markets and laws? Would GDP growth rates improve without these bilateral agreements? Do these agreements improve living standards for Switzerland?

- I see you haven't been properly assimilated. :borg:

- No country on this planet is completely independent of EU markets. As for the bilateral agreements I+II. The agreements II are not controversial so I ignore them. Canceling the agreements I would be bad for GDP growth, not least because immigration would be reduced substantially. The effect on per capita GDP would be slightly negative. If only free movement were canceled the effect on per capita GDP would be statistically insignificant. Both according to a variety of studies.
B0ycey wrote:
The single market/custom union are very efficient models actually. It keeps the wealth within the Unions, keeps members goods competitive from foreign imports with the Unions, keeps standards in goods high and allow incentives and affordability for businesses to invest in jobs within poorer members to both spread the wealth throughout Europe and increase GDP/jobs for these poorer members.

Yes, the single market - or more general economic integration - has advantages. But as mentioned, interdependencies also lead to contagion and exacerbate recessions, which ought to be taken into account in calculating the GDP contribution or any other indicator, unless you think we won't have any recessions in the future. While the 2008 financial crisis was untypically severe and should not be taken as representative, the period from 1992 also included the dotcom boom in the 90s which wasn't a typical decade either. Hence, an honest appraisal of the economic gains probably ought to be even more modest than the numbers presented in the EC report - perhaps 0.1% per year?

My point is that this is about trade-offs and a population like the Brits who were on average never particularly fond of the EU and especially its political aspects may well be prepared to sacrifice such a low contribution to growth in order to retain their independence. Additionally, the UK is one of the most well-positioned EU members to make up for it through its relationships with the rest of the world. Even the decade long EU membership hasn't changed the UK enough for its economy to be suitable for the euro or to be more integrated than with non-EU countries in terms of trade or value chains. While geographical proximity matters, it's by no means the only or most important factor.

There's also the fact that economic gains have a tendency to decrease over time and come at a higher cost in terms of independence and sovereignty. You can easily observe this by looking at today's FTAs which often don't have a whole lot to do with actual trade despite their name. The costs are obviously restrictions in terms of how much people are able to regulate and legislate their own affairs, e.g. membership in the single market leads to pressure to homogenize tax policies and this pressure is increased by the very existence of a centralised bureaucracy which will invariably argue that centralising powers and competencies is more efficient. This is not necessarily unreasonable, but people ought to realise that some form of centralisation is the most likely outcome down the line and that this is especially true in an EU context.

B0ycey wrote:
Economy challenges for non-members businesses in terms that they have to pay tariffs that member nations don't to sell their products within the single market along with the fact they have to adhere to the members rules to sell there too. It is difficult to increase national GDP if your businesses are restricted to your own market - and almost impossible if your market is poor.

Let's not pretend that the alternative to the EU is autarky please. Obviously the impact for the UK and to a lesser extent the EU will depend on the maturity of the two parties. If the EU's objective is to increase prosperity and cooperation across Europe, as it claims, it ought to not submit to the temptation to be vindictive. A reasonable outcome is eminently possible.

B0ycey wrote:
I disagree, Ukraine is a very good example. Granted things since the revolution are bad, but they weren't much better prior to 2014. If you compare them to their Warsaw pact brothers who are within the single market, ask yourself why Ukraine is so much worse off and are indeed corrupt with no chance of EU membership any time soon? Perhaps it is because they tried to remain within the Soviet model while other nations looked for change. A great GDP figure for a nation that has a fantastic food export economy should be easily possible. EU membership would indeed make this achievable. But the nation has an East/West split today with the only possible way to solve the problem IMO is to divide the country into two. Then West Ukraine could easily become an EU member. But until the West are prepared to sit down with Russia to create a solution both parties are happy with, I will acknowledge that Ukraine will not be a EU member any time soon.

It's glaringly obvious that Ukraine is not a good example, as the alternative for the UK is not a "Soviet model". Further, we had this discussion about the difference between the Eastern European EU-members and former Soviet republics in another thread where I showed that the difference in GDP growth isn't as large as is often assumed. If we take into account their starting points in terms of GDP, their geographical proximity and the extent to which they were economically integrated with the Soviet Union we can explain some of the disparity. Further, countries like Hungary had already started to liberalise their economies prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain and some Eastern European states had long-standing ties with Central Europe. That's not to say that EU membership doesn't have a positive impact but that it's often greatly exaggerated.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:My point is that this is about trade-offs and a population like the Brits who were on average never particularly fond of the EU and especially its political aspects may well be prepared to sacrifice such a low contribution to growth in order to retain their independence. Additionally, the UK is one of the most well-positioned EU members to make up for it through its relationships with the rest of the world.

The UK is divided on Europe as shown by the referendum. Cameron couldn't have picked a worse time to hold it actually - during the migrant crisis. But to put things into context, as pointed out by a fellow PoFoer, less than 40% of UK citizens actually voted to leave the EU. So despite what was occuring and all the fear-mongering taking place about being flooded with refugees, it still didn't result in what I call a decisive madate to make an important decision to leave (something like leaving the EU in my opinion requires at least 65% of the electorate to prevent division). So arrogance and stupidity resulted in this gamble going wrong. Not fondness.

Another issue I had with this referendum - that would have given people a better sense of the costs of leaving, was that there was no manifesto on what the Brexiteers planned on doing should we vote to leave the EU. Brexiteers promised everything, but as shown since, will not be able to fulfil such promises. Even since the vote, there seems to be no plans revealed to give businesses confidence should no deal be achieved. So to your point about new trade deals with the rest of the world to compensate for the single market, I can't see how anything could be better (or replace it). And that is due to geography. No matter what deals are created with the rest of the world, the EU will always be out biggest trading partner - whether it be WTO or tariff free. The only advantage for the UK is that they have a trade deficit with the EU so are able to compensate their businesses with business rate deductions from tariff income and EU membership money (so to entice businesses to invest here). The problem is of course, that should there be a negative consequence due to Brexit, people can only buy your products if they can afford to do so - whether inside the UK or outside the UK. Hence why I think it is better to keep Europe together and to look after everyones interests. Brexit serves no ones interest.

And this leads into your last point. People vote with their pockets. People don't really give a shit who or where their laws come from (independence) as long as it doesn't effect them financially. Brexit will be judged on this very point. So perhaps the UK government needs to either reconsider another vote on Europe (with a manifesto) or start pulling their fingers out and publish policies with what they can actually achieve with certainty from Brexit. Because I can assure you with one thing, without goals that they can fall back unto, should there be a downturn, all people will remember is the false promises of great wealth during the Brexit campaign and blame the government who is in power for not achieving these promises.

Even the decade long EU membership hasn't changed the UK enough for its economy to be suitable for the euro or to be more integrated than with non-EU countries in terms of trade or value chains. While geographical proximity matters, it's by no means the only or most important factor.

The Euro would have suited the UK actually, the same way Germany benefits from it today. It doesn't suit poorer nations. The solution to the Euro is simple. Either create a second Euro currency for poorer nations to devalue if need be or to federalise the currency union and bring the responsibility of the Euro to all of the Eurozone and taking it way from individual states (so say Greece doesn't hold all the burden and is sent into a debt it will stuggle to pay).

There's also the fact that economic gains have a tendency to decrease over time and come at a higher cost in terms of independence and sovereignty. You can easily observe this by looking at today's FTAs which often don't have a whole lot to do with actual trade despite their name. The costs are obviously restrictions in terms of how much people are able to regulate and legislate their own affairs, e.g. membership in the single market leads to pressure to homogenize tax policies and this pressure is increased by the very existence of a centralised bureaucracy which will invariably argue that centralising powers and competencies is more efficient. This is not necessarily unreasonable, but people ought to realise that some form of centralisation is the most likely outcome down the line and that this is especially true in an EU context.

Strict legislation brings in high standards within products. I assume you want good quality of goods? The UK will still have to adhere to single market rules to trade within the single market. I can't see how independence is going to benefit here.

Let's not pretend that the alternative to the EU is autarky please. Obviously the impact for the UK and to a lesser extent the EU will depend on the maturity of the two parties. If the EU's objective is to increase prosperity and cooperation across Europe, as it claims, it ought to not submit to the temptation to be vindictive. A reasonable outcome is eminently possible.

The EU can't make it attractive to leave. Why would they do a deal that gives the UK everything without any burden? Nonetheless I have said countless times on here that a trade deal actually benefits the EU more than the UK. It's services that the UK needs from the EU. Without a deal on that, it be unlikely there be a trade deal anyway. Hence why if I was the UK negotiator, the delay on talking about trade wouldn't bother me. I would just publish a plan on tax breaks for businesses to compensate for a no deal instead and explain I still wanted a trade deal with the EU.

It's glaringly obvious that Ukraine is not a good example, as the alternative for the UK is not a "Soviet model". Further, we had this discussion about the difference between the Eastern European EU-members and former Soviet republics in another thread where I showed that the difference in GDP growth isn't as large as is often assumed. If we take into account their starting points in terms of GDP, their geographical proximity and the extent to which they were economically integrated with the Soviet Union we can explain some of the disparity. Further, countries like Hungary had already started to liberalise their economies prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain and some Eastern European states had long-standing ties with Central Europe. That's not to say that EU membership doesn't have a positive impact but that it's often greatly exaggerated.

Ukraine is an example of a nation within Europe who has not benefited from the single market at any point. They are a prime example to show the importance of the single market. There is Ukraine and there is Poland. Both were in the Warsaw pact and both needed investment since the curtain fell. Who is better off? Stats or estimates on GDP doesn't mean much when you can actually see the difference visually.

And as Ukraine have a great food export economy, should they have been in the single market, I could envisage them being quite wealthy today actually.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Speculation is boring and useless. Speculation is,[…]

The protest encampments are now spreading to other[…]

I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain […]

I have never seen this on TV, so I can't imagine […]