London Mayor Sadiq Khan Cancels UK Remembrance Day Parade - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.

Also supported (as mentioned in the off-topic forum's SJW thread) were things like gay pride parades but Poppy day (another name for Remembrance Day it seems) was not supported because it would have been "too expensive" which seems like a strange reason.

Do you think one type of parade should be canceled over others because of the supposed costs?

Do you think not making Remembrance Day work is the behavior of someone who loves his country? Do you think this guy has any kind of anti-native UK agenda if he does things like this?

Basically, is canceling remembrance day just part and parcel of living in a big city?
What has this to do with Sadiq Khan? The police withdrew their support in protest when the government cut a further £170 million of funding for the policing of major events in the capital.

Evening Standard wrote:Scotland Yard has made £600 million in efficiency savings since 2010 and plans to cut a further £400 million by the end of the decade. This has resulted in the loss of hundreds of community support officer posts and the closure of dozens of police stations.

:?:
If the police are really withdrawing their support for Remembrance Day because of cuts, they can get fucked. These lazy, self pitying jobsworths have been indulged for far too long. In both raw numbers and per capita, there are more police and support staff than ever. Maybe if they didn't waste their budget on starship trooper uniforms and pointless investigations of long dead child abusers, they'd have a point. Fuck them.

:roll:
In both raw numbers and per capita

Wrong!

In March 2010, the total number of police officers in England and Wales was 143,734. By March 2016, that figure had fallen to 124,066. Source

Direct government funding has fallen by 25%

:)
Note that I said "and support staff". From your own source, there are also 10,000 community support officers, nearly 60,000 back-up staff, and 16,000 special constables. And it's one thing to compare numbers before and after the biggest recession in the last 100 years; it's another thing to look at the general trend over the long term:

The reductions planned for 2010-15 are large historically, and they will be challenging, but they are not excessive. The 20 per cent budget reductions from the 2010 high amount to 14 per cent over four years once local funding is taken into account. Viewed in context, they do no more than reduce annual police funding to the level that would have been reached in 2015 if the trend rate of growth 1979-2001 had continued. The expansion after 2001 took police funding far higher than the trend increases of previous decades, and the funding agreed in the 2010 Comprehensive Spending Review will act to correct this unprecedented “surge”.

Figure 2: Police revenue expenditure (£bn) 1967-2015
Source

I guarantee you that they could afford to staff Remembrance Day parades in 1967, when their budget was 120 times smaller than it currently is. :lol:

If they're really concerned about front-line policing being "understaffed", they should cut the huge numbers of useless, overpaid senior officers before getting rid of constables and sergeants. Of course they won't, because they're more interested in posturing than doing their jobs.

This idea that policing has been stripped to the bone - with no question of whether we needed the vast numbers of officers we had under Blair's paranoid government - is silly. For them to throw a tantrum and withdraw support for a Remembrance Day parade - which commemorates people who actually do their jobs, in more dangerous conditions, and for much less pay than our overindulged and arrogant police force - is utter childishness.

Good to see a Marxist taking the side of a bloated capitalist police force though! :excited:
Last edited by Heisenberg on 24 Oct 2017 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
It actually does seem like the sort of thing the polices higher ups would do to hurt people they don't like politically. They pull out of remembrance day and blame it on the mayor and maybe they scare politicians into giving them all the money they want.
back-up staff

Wrong again.

71% of police staff numbers have been cut in Lincolnshire and Cleveland as a
result of the transfer of police staff to the private sector.

Northamptonshire has the highest level of police staff cuts, which do not involve
privatisation, at 35%.

Source

At the end of March 2017 there were 10,213 FTE PCSOs, a 7.5%
decrease on the year before. PCSO numbers have fallen year on year since
the peak of 2010.

Between 2012 and 2015 special constabulary strength decreased at a rate of 5.2% per
year. The number of Special Constables increased again in 2016, but then decreased further in 2017.

Source: Police Service Strength, Parliamentary Briefing Paper Number 00634, 18 October 2017

Care to address my point about the long term trend, or do you want to continue to pretend history started in 2010?

Yes, the cuts look bad compared with absolute peak numbers - which, in any case, were the result of overspending. Compared with historical averages, British police forces are not remotely "understaffed", an are in fact bloated and top-heavy.

The problem comes from assuming that the 2010 numbers - which were the highest figures ever by some distance - should be taken as normal or desirable. Why should they? I can understand why the deputy assistant commissioner of the Met might use this tactic, but it's frankly bizarre coming from a disinterested person who I know has critical thinking skills. :eh:
numbers... Why should they [be desirable]?

When you are busy destroying the post war consensus a bloated police force comes in handy (as cost cutting Mrs May will no doubt find to her cost in the next year or two).

A Remembrance Day parade? Why would you have a parade on a day that is meant to be solemn???

The actual real news:
Remembrance Sunday events face the axe: Anger as police pull out of Poppy Day parades
REMEMBRANCE Sunday parades are under threat this year because police chiefs can’t spare officers to marshall the Poppy Day events.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/869571 ... -withdrawn
As I've long proposed, there is a solution within the UK as to what should be done with religious minorities.

Put a border that has no historic or geographic relevance around them until you can artificially create a 54% majority. Then give them complete backing of the most oppressive functionaries of the state to crush anyone that could object to the plan.

British patriots and unionists have to admit how wonderfully this has worked in the North of Ireland. Now they get to pay a billion dollars to this artifical majority of religious extremists so that they can be in charge of the UK as a whole!

So if you support this kind of fair agreement, surely you'll support me in asking for a heavily armed Islamic State in the areas around London where you can cobble together a Muslim majority.

...Either that or one might recognize that the entire project of a Northern Ireland wasn't a particularly good idea.
Godstud wrote:A Remembrance Day parade? Why would you have a parade on a day that is meant to be solemn???

"Parade" in this context is a military term. The armed forces hold Remembrance Day events, which are solemn occasions. It's hardly analogous to the St Patrick's Day parade up Fifth Avenue in New York.

As for @The Immortal Goon, what you have posted bears absolutely no relation to the topic at hand. However, I will say that while the creation of Northern Ireland was short-sighted, it was a bit more humane than killing off swathes of the native population and cramming the few who survived into reservations, a la United States government policy. :)
Heisenberg wrote:As for @The Immortal Goon, what you have posted bears absolutely no relation to the topic at hand. However, I will say that while the creation of Northern Ireland was short-sighted, it was a bit more humane than killing off 90%+ of the native population and cramming the few who survived into reservations, a la United States government policy. :)

One wonders in vain where British Puritanism in the Americas got the idea to kill as many locals as possible and cram the remaining native population into a reservation...

The Immortal Goon wrote:One wonders in vain where British Puritanism in the Americas got the idea to kill as many locals as possible and cram the remaining native population into a reservation...

:lol: Your understanding of history can only be described as unusual. So the 1652 Act of Settlement was the inspiration for
In 1636 all of the New England colonies went to war with the Pequot of southeastern Connecticut, practically wiping them out.

Irish Catholics of the Seventeenth century were some not innocent victims, but members of an international terrorist organisation. They should have been treated with the same firmness that the Syrian kurds and their American allies have treated the members of ISIS in Raqqa. Lets also remember why the Puritans were in New England in the first place. They were fleeing Papist terror and Papist fellow travellers like James I and Charles I.
Heisenberg wrote::lol: Touché.

However, I think we can safely say: let he who is without sin cast the first stone. People living in Oregon can hardly blame the British for their current living situation. ;)

Well, there's a reason that Oregon was divided up between Washington, Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia.

And, actually, liked Redmond 80 years later promising to support Britain in a war abroad O'Connell promised to lead the Irish in an invasion of Ireland in exchange for Irish Home Rule.

Incidentally, one of the most important people in Oregon, SJ McCormick, we can show was at Young Ireland reading rooms and started a similar reading room after the announcement. He also rather interestingly had a lot of money and communication tied into New York through his whole life (bypassing Chicago and San Francisco) and founded a "Hibernian" movement that got rid of all the O'Connellites and began arming Irish-Oregonians before, decades later, folding into the Fenian movement. It is possible, even probable, that McCormick was sent by Young Ireland to make a stand in Oregon for an invasion that never came. But the result, of course, was still the smashing up of Oregon by treaty and whatnot.

Everything can be blamed on the British ;)

Rich wrote::lol: Your understanding of history can only be described as unusual. So the 1652 Act of Settlement was the inspiration for

Irish Catholics of the Seventeenth century were some not innocent victims, but members of an international terrorist organisation. They should have been treated with the same firmness that the Syrian kurds and their American allies have treated the members of ISIS in Raqqa. Lets also remember why the Puritans were in New England in the first place. They were fleeing Papist terror and Papist fellow travellers like James I and Charles I.

If you want to start a thread about this, I'd be happy to engage in the topic until you shamed yourself into refusing to further comment as always. But I've derailed this enough without pointing out that the Pequot War didn't end with a reservation system.

This is about the police refusing to participate with a parade, after all. I shan't derail any further, and I ask that both of ye join me, despite my light trolling.
The thread title does definitely need to be changed to reflect reality. They cancelled the Trafalgar day celebration in Birmingham at the weekend for the same reason (the police now demand cash in hand from the public to provide security for anything since they government has took all their money and no one could afford pay them this year).

A Sea Cadet spokeswoman said: “Unfortunately, cadets from the Birmingham area will not be taking part in any parade locally for Trafalgar Day this year.

“However, each Sea Cadets unit in Mercia District – which includes three in Birmingham, as well as Dudley, Sandwell, Telford, Walsall and Wolverhampton – will commemorate the event individually at their respective units.”

In common with many other community events, the city council stopped a £2,000 grant for the parade in 2015.

Last year the parade was almost cancelled after heightened terror concerns surrounding the public gathering of navy representatives and cadets led to a £2,000 security bill.

It only went ahead after the city council staff stepped in at the 11th hour, following a Birmingham Mail appeal.

Former Lord Mayor John Lines said that the council should never have withdrawn the funding in the first place. He said: “It’s a betrayal of the memory of our historic survival as a nation. Birmingham has always been at the forefront of that. This is a very sad time when we neglect our heritage and proud history.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... e-13790136

Again, conspiracy theories about Jewish domina[…]

Sure. No ethnogenesis in the past doesn't mean no[…]

In 1900, Europe had THREE TIMES the population of […]

@Rancid it's hard to know, we'd need to see how […]