Nigel Farage refuses to give up EU pension: 'Why should my family suffer?' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Independent wrote:Former Ukip leader also claims he has 'done more than anybody in this country to stop the rise of the far-right'

Nigel Farage has refused to give up his EU pension after Brexit, asking: "Why should my family and others suffer even more?"

The former Ukip leader was asked on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show whether he would stick to his principles and turn down his annual MEP pension.

"All I can say is, given the arbitrary way the European Union behaves in terms of money, I'd be very surprised if I get any of it," Mr Farage said.

Mr Farage is entitled to an estimated annual pension of £73,000, The Times reports. The 53-year-old would be able to claim the pension at the age of 63.

Pressed by host Andrew Marr on whether he would stick to his principles and turn down the pension, Mr Farage said: "I'm not going to get it anyway. So I don't think this would even occur."

When he was asked if he would take it, he said: "Of course I would take it. I've said that from day one. Why should my family and others suffer even more?"

Replying to accusations of hypocrisy, Mr Farage said: "It is not hypocrisy. I've just voted to get rid of my job. I was the turkey that voted for Christmas. How is that hypocrisy? If it was hypocrisy, I'd have said we should stay in the EU."

Later in the show, Mr Farage defended Donald Trump retweeting Britain First, saying the US President "wouldn't have an earthly clue" who the far-right group were.

He added: "Do I think those tweets were in good taste? Not particularly, no.

"But the point is the level of outrage from the liberal elite in this country is out of all proportion with what happened here. And every single time, the idea that should lead to half the Labour party saying he shouldn't be allowed to come to our country frankly is ridiculous."

Nigel Farage says he has done more to stop the far-right than anyone
When Mr Farage was asked if he was "getting too close to a dark kind of politics," he said: "Do you know something, I believe I've done more than anybody in this country to stop the rise of the far-right in Britain.

"I did it by taking away those people who were going out and voting BNP and holding their nose. So when it comes to dealing with the far right, I've got a very good track record."
Independent
His contractual rights regarding compensation in his capacity as a civil service employee should bare no relationship to his ideological positions.

It's somewhat like when Warren Buffet raised the issue of the low effective tax rate he pays; and rightwing opponents suggested a buffet rule where people can check a box to pay a higher tax rate.

It's a ridiculous idea (and has nothing at all in common with sound economic theory), and is merely rhetorical politics; just like notions Farage shouldn't receive his due compensation.
noemon wrote:Farage has made a career out of trashing the money spent on EU bureaucrats like himself. If he had a shred of integrity he would lead the way by not burdening the British with paying his EU pension.

On the other hand the money the EU may eventually spend on his pension originally came from the UK tax payer anyway and if he doesn't claim it then the EU bureaucrats will just keep it and spend it on crack whores and lines of coke. At least if he claims it some of that lost money will be repatriated..

It's a moot issue I guess as he probably won't get it anyway.
SolarCross wrote:On the other hand the money the EU may eventually spend on his pension originally came from the UK tax payer anyway and if he doesn't claim it then the EU bureaucrats will just keep it and spend it on crack whores and lines of coke. At least if he claims it some of that lost money will be repatriated..

The money he will get in 10 years will not be coming from the British taxpayer but from the European one.

It's a moot issue I guess as he probably won't get it anyway.

It's not coming but if it does, I will take it. :lol:
Decky wrote:I know some people who also intend to claim a pension when they finish work, should I make a thread about that?

Absolutely Decky!

If they start a political movement to abolish their pension fund while at the same time maintaining their claim to the pensions they want to abolish.

That degree of mind-screwing would be newsworthy under any circumstances.
Heisenberg wrote:The best argument for giving Farage his pension is the fact that it will annoy Atlantis. For this reason alone, I hope he gets every penny. :lol:

Why should it annoy me? I'm in favor of the EU, which includes EU pensions.

We'll just put it on the Brexit bill (plus interest and provisions for currency risk due to pound depreciation). :D

For those who apparently did not see this post pro[…]

A new film has been released destroying the offic[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]