Putin winning with a landslide - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
72% is modest by Soviet standards. I guess comrade Vlad wasn’t such an ‘impeccable democrat’ after all. But better than no democracy at all. The election rigging probably doesn’t make a big difference with such a large win.

Whatever their effect, Ukraine, Syria and the Novichoks didn’t hurt him in the election.

By systematically vilifying Putin and by reducing trade and diplomatic ties, the West has deprived itself of the means to guide Russian democracy back onto the narrow path of virtue. That’s a big mistake, because to go for regime change in Moscow would be a risky game even the Neocons can’t seriously contemplate. Which leaves us with no viable strategy towards Russia.

Anyways, Russia will be stuck with Putin’s oligarchy for the foreseeable future. It’s better than chaos and disintegration, but it won’t help Russia become less dependent on fossil fuels or help it become a modern country.

Putin cruising to re-election as Russian polls close

MOSCOW — Vladi­mir Putin was cruising to reelection after polls closed in Russia on Sunday, with authorities reporting high voter turnout in balloting that was widely expected to bring the Russian president a fourth term.

Putin’s opponents on Sunday’s ballot include a nationalist, a Communist, and two liberals. But Putin barely campaigned, opposition activist Alexei Navalny was barred from the ballot, and a landslide victory for Putin appears certain.

Early returns showed Putin receiving 72.1 percent of the vote with 22.6 percent of the ballots counted, according to the Central Elections Commission. The runner up was Communist Party candidate Pavel Grudinin with 15.6 percent.

The biggest question as Russians went to the polls on Sunday was the level of turnout. While independent surveys show that most Russians continue to approve of Putin as president, a lack of suspense or popular opposition candidates threatened to keep people home. The Kremlin, analysts say, was looking for high turnout to deliver legitimacy for another Putin term.

Russian cities have been plastered with billboards touting Sunday’s election — “Your country, our president, our choice!” Some cities made public transportation free on Sunday, and social-media posts from Russia’s far-flung regions showed free food and giveaways at polling places. In Khabarovsk in Russia’s Far East, the regional government organized a food festival to coincide with the vote that, at one polling place, was to include a “presidential breakfast” featuring skim-milk oatmeal with regional pine nuts.

Putin himself cast his ballot at the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow. Asked what result he was hoping for, he responded: “Any that gives me the right to fulfill the duty of president.”

Russian state TV broadcast images of lines of Russian beachgoers voting in Thailand, a polling place in the mountains of Dagestan, mothers casting their ballots at a maternity ward, and a helicopter delivering ballots to remote settlements in the Arctic. A Russian on the International Space Station was reported to have voted while in orbit. A state TV journalist reporting live from the southern city of Rostov-on-Don cast his ballot on camera — “I have done my civic duty,” he said.

The election was being held on the fourth anniversary of Russia’s annexation of Crimea — a move core to Putin’s domestic brand as a fearless defender of Russian interests. The Ukrainian territory that Russia seized in March 2014 was voting Sunday for the Russian president for the first time after an intense propaganda campaign on the territory warning of war and same-sex marriage as the possible consequences if Putin’s power weakened.

Critics described the vote as a charade, and opposition activist Navalny has been urging his supporters to boycott the vote ever since he was barred from the ballot in December. The independent Golos election-monitoring group broadcast a video from the city of Krasnodar that it said showed people being forced to vote by their employers. “They told us at work” to go vote, one of them said.

“Tell yourself: I don’t want to be a part of this,” Navalny urged his 2 million Twitter followers ahead of the vote. “I don’t want elections without a choice. I won’t vote for Putin or for those whom Putin picked as his sparring partners.”

Russian clergymen and a nun prepare to cast their ballots for Russia's presidential election in a polling station in Jerusalem on March 18, 2018. (Ronen Zvulun/Reuters)
While several outspoken Putin opponents were on the ballot, including liberals Ksenia Sobchak and Grigory Yavlinsky, many potential voters who dislike Putin stayed home to avoid legitimizing the election. Daria Suslina, 20, said she decided to skip the chance to vote in a presidential election for the first time in her life after getting numerous appeals to do so by text message and at work.

“The pressure to go and vote was disgusting,” Suslina, a student who works part-time at a state research and manufacturing company, said. “The whole thing — the elections today — seems so artificial, I don’t want to be a part of it.”

At a polling station in central Moscow, a rush of midday voters lined up nearly out the door of a school and filled up three floors of steps to a crowded room with a handful of voting booths. Outside the polling station, a 31-year-old who identified herself by her first name and patronymic, Anna Sergeyevna, said she voted for Putin.

“I like how he’s led the country for a long time,” she said. “He showed that our team is the good one.”

Election Day was even complete with allegations of foreign meddling. A cyberattack originating in 15 different countries hit the website of the Central Elections Commission overnight, according to commission chairwoman Ella Pamfilova, the Interfax news agency reported.

Evgenia Medvedeva on the election of the President of the Russian Federation

It was impossible for Putin to lose as he even got the backing of Olympic medalists who joined Putin's recent election rally. Evgenia Medvedeva especially voiced her support for Putin in the TV commercial.

MOSCOW - MARCH 15, 2018: Evgenia Medvedeva and Olympic champions, ice hockey players Ivan Telegin, Sergei Andronov, Mikail Grigorenko and Kirill Kaprizov (L-R) during an address by Russia's President Vladimir Putin to the Russia - Land of Opportunity Forum at VDNKh Exhibition Ctr
ThirdTerm wrote:It was impossible for Putin to lose as he even got the backing of Olympic medalists who joined Putin's recent election rally. Evgenia Medvedeva especially voiced her support for Putin in the TV commercial.

The question is, were they doped before or after supporting Putin? :D
Beren wrote:In this case the turnout is more interesting than the results. 60% is pretty high relative to the fact that we only have to worry about whether Putin gets more than 75% of the vote finally.

Best regards to our dear British partners who created the image of an external threat just a few days before the elections. What a lucky coincidence!
Atlantis wrote:The question is, were they doped before or after supporting Putin? :D

But...what’s this? A German with a sense of humour!

Atlantis, maybe you ha e been hanging out with the British for too long? :lol:
Beren wrote:Yavlinsky looks decent, he got 1.04% of the vote. Ksenia Sobchak got 1.68%

Both publicly declared the wish to fight against the illegal annexation of Crimea. It is tempting to tell about the public image of both since 90s to the modern days, programs, declarations and campaigns, but that really is. Saying something about returning of Crimea nowadays = political suicide, and that the main and the only point of his program was 'return Crimea' shows that it is not a democrat and a politician - they should declare their voters' thoughts, not their own, no? Yavlinsky's job for the last 30 years is to get into some elections, get his one percent and say something smart about democracy. He doesn't do anything else. Compare to Navalny who being banned and regularly incarcerated organizes movements, meetings, creates projects, corruption scandals - and not in thirty years but five. The difference between a politician and someone who portrays a politician because it's his work: to portray a disgusting liberal doomed to always lose to forces of good.

It's very wrong for foreigners to support Yavlinsky or anyone of this cohort if they want to see democratic Russia - because those people are actually the tools of destruction of democracy in Russia.
I guess if I was in Russia I would probably support putin. There are no decent alternatives, probably because he shot them all.

It's the patented Stalin MethodTM :excited:
It's funny, but the biggest increase in votes for Putin abroad was ... in the UK :) In the last elections in London, only 27.7% of Russians voted for Putin. This year - 51.7% That's what anti-Russian propaganda is doing! :)
I like how the opposition was created and approved by Putin. Basically if Putin does not agree you can run against him, you wont be able to run against him. The country is pretty much a dictatorship at this point with a facade of democracy.

Ksenia Sobchak had to ask Putin's permission at Kremlin to run at the elections. Otherwise if he did not agree she would not run.

Bullshit. Navalny was pushed out by Putin from the election on bogus made up charges.
Last edited by Albert on 20 Mar 2018 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
It is not illiberal democracy, that terms has a different meaning. A better definition for the current Russian political system would be a dysfunction republic. At this point it is pretty much a dictatorship.

It is more so democratic institutions established after the fall of Soviet Union being taken advantage and molded to become a dictatorship. Putin I do not think understand the principles of the republic. He does not understand for example that having an opposition party in Duma (parliament) will help strengthen the country not weaken it. As ideas and criticism spoken in Duma will help shape better laws and make better policies. Its principles like this he does not get, granted he grew up in Soviet Union and worked at KGB, people in there were indoctrinated in Marxism and not educated on principle of a republic.

But at this point the situation has gotten to such a point that if there is any sort of real outspoken opposition in government Putin and All-Russia People's Front party's corruption will be exposed, to a point that it will loose all legitimacy. Because what Putin has become with people associate to him, they essentially became a new aristocracy of sort. It is really mind boggling when you think about it. I also do not understand how they can think this is sustaining, sooner or later they will face some sort of people's revolt against what they established. This is also principle of republic, that opposing views in society would be resolved through debates and democratic process. So in turn these will not escalate and be decided through armed conflict. Something that is happening in USA and western world not with populism and progressivism.

This is where I can not stand this guy. In a way, Putin and his party would actually make a good party in legitimate democracy; However, Putin just does not get the principles of the republic and that there are many Russian people who actually do desire democracy. That is why they had established it in the first place.

He also failed completely to the point of immorality on the aspect of corruption, he basically established himself into a sheikh among with his buddies. He made himself into a rich baron while Russian people pay for his lavish lifestyle and that of his friends and relatives. There is nothing good he can do to excuse this. He basically dug his grave long ago along with his buddies. It is only a matter of time something majour happens to overthrow the government.

So in my books the guys is an idiot. At this point I think there is no going back, Russia is heading to some sort of Maidan style revolt at least. All thanks to this idiot because he loves power too much. The sad part here that it will be another shock to society that already had so much to deal with for a century now.

Not to mention you still have the oligarchs to deal with and the global dilemma of post industrial societies in regards to corporations and big business.

Putin you fucking peasant.
Last edited by Albert on 20 Mar 2018 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
if the situation in Russia wont improve in the coming 6 years after his retirement Putin will be demonized like yeltsin and Gorbachev and will be replaced with a new "strong" leader and the cycle will repeat itself

the chemical attack in UK is a tool being used to press the Russian elites who have bank accounts in the west to the point where they gonna have to choose between their money or Putin
whatever Russia did it or not either way its not playing in Putins favor

@ingliz he ignores mixed race people I […]

The assessment I've seen is that it would take[…]

@late The best response to a far Right like a[…]

This is largely history repeating itself . Similar[…]