Macron: political divisions in Europe are like a civil war - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Heisenberg wrote:I love how people say this as though the greatest foreign policy disaster in modern British history is some sort of minor blip on an otherwise stellar record. :lol:

Minor blip? Why do you assume I think such a thing? Every single major issue we have today is linked to 9/11. The Iraq war is part of that problem. The poodle and his master should be sent to the Hague. Don't confuse what I am saying with any form of admiration.
One Degree wrote:Yes, believing a politician shares your idealism simply because he uses it to get your vote is rather naive.
Macron may be young enough to believe some of his own bullshit, but you don’t get elected without being a self centered pragmatist.

Macron can't gain my vote. But I am pro European integration so this is not a negative to me. It is the only way Europe can compete with other major economic powers. No one will listen to 27 independent voices. It is that simple.
B0ycey wrote:Macron can't gain my vote. But I am pro European integration so this is not a negative to me. It is the only way Europe can compete with other major economic powers. No one will listen to 27 independent voices. It is that simple.

What are you actually competing for and who benefits? Are Europeans starving in the streets? You are advocating for more influence with multinational corporations at best.
One Degree wrote:What are you actually competing for and who benefits? Are Europeans starving in the streets? You are advocating for more influence with multinational corporations at best.

Actually, it is more to prevent other larger nations, such as the US, from dominating their foriegn policies into Europe. A United Europe can compete and not rely on the US. A fragmented Europe relies on the US.
B0ycey wrote:Actually, it is more to prevent other larger nations, such as the US, from dominating their foriegn policies into Europe. A United Europe can compete and not rely on the US. A fragmented Europe relies on the US.

I will agree preventing the US influence over internal matters of smaller countries is a desirable goal. I do not agree the solution is to create another behemoth like the US so you can dominate smaller countries.
Countries dominated by the US is usually done by their own choice. (Yes, there are exceptions).
The solution is to refuse to accept their domination.
There are only two reasons for the EU, imo. The first and foremost is to promote a one world agenda based upon liberal doctrine. (In reality, a world Oligarchy.) The second is military might.
Neither of these benefits the average citizen.
One Degree wrote:I will agree preventing the US influence over internal matters of smaller countries is a desirable goal. I do not agree the solution is to create another behemoth like the US so you can dominate smaller countries.
Countries dominated by the US is usually done by their own choice. (Yes, there are exceptions).

What countries do you have in mind? To me it seems you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
fokker wrote:What countries do you have in mind? To me it seems you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

I am not sure I am following your train of thought. But, I don’t believe there is even one country whose policies are not influenced by the US. The fact that may be slowly changing does not mean it no longer exists.
If you desire a specific example, I will single out Japan’s military.
layman, if the Germans are to blame for British imperialism, then by the same reasoning the Jews must be blamed for the holocaust. You are not going to get out off this one.

This is one of the stranger things you have said. First I am not “blaming” Germany for British imperialism. That doesn’t relate to my quote at all. Germany is simply in the same club here. The bomb Syria and sell weapons to Saudi club which you dodge responsibility for on behalf of Germany. You do this a lot. Shift responsibility from Germany and your preferred Europeans.

Secondly, bringing Jews into it suggests you think Germany is a victim in Syria and in general which is frankly bizarre. You then go on to pretty much blame France, and of course the uk, for German imperialism of the past and therefore no doubt both world wars. You are obsessed with blame and guilt rather than cause and solutions.

I won’t go down that rabbit hole of ww2 but comparing he Germany to the Jews in the context of Syria is insulting to Syrians and Jews. I think you write elsewhere that Germany is a poor occupied victim that has been forced into nato, conflict with Russia, and every other foreign policy decision you don’t personally like. I on the other hand openly Condem the uk on it’s terrible choices. including this one.

No Atlantis. It is you who won’t get away with this deflection.
Atlantis wrote:...if the Germans are to blame for British imperialism, then by the same reasoning the Jews must be blamed for the holocaust.

Atlantis trying hard to win the prize for most retarded post. :knife:

Atlantis wrote:As Voltaire correctly mentioned: the HRE was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. It was a defensive union against imperialism: Ottoman, French, British, etc. Just like the EU today. That's why imperialists hate the EU.

The Old Swiss confederacy fought ~200 years for (de facto) independence from the HRE respectively its vassals. The fact that is was a decentralized feudal state doesn't make it a "defensive union".
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]