British Government's links to Cambridge Analytica - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
SCL (CA) seems to be at the center of the deep state which unites people from the Tory establishment, Tory donors, the military establishment, private and public intelligence firms and the defense industry, all coming together to manipulate and pervert the democratic process worldwide.

By comparison, Putin's troll factories are insignificant. I'm sure that Putin would be more successful on the PR front if he could employ the services of CA. But I guess that's impossible because any information giving by the Russians to CA will most likely find its way to the British government.

Foreign Office officials met Cambridge Analytica over Trump

Sun 29 Apr 2018 00.05 BST

Foreign Office officials met Cambridge Analytica executives to “better understand” the secrets behind Donald Trump’s presidential victory, the Observer has learned, raising new questions over the extent of links between the government and the controversial data firm.

Officials from London, Washington and New York met Cambridge Analytica representatives in a series of meetings aimed at acquiring insights into the “political environment” that followed Trump’s shock win.

Details of the meetings, revealed in response to a freedom of information request, show the government hoped it would help “build relationships with the Trump campaign and transition team”, and they took place as the Conservative party was desperately seeking contacts within the incoming US administration.

The FoI response also shows the relationship between the Foreign Office (FCO) and the data firm extended to government contracts, with the FCO, under a Labour government, paying more than £400,000 to Strategic Communications Laboratories, the former name of SCL Group, the parent company of Cambridge Analytica, for a project to help tackle extremism.

The contract, worth £402,501, was signed in 2008 to provide research and surveys into public opinion as part of an initiative to help Pakistan deal with extremism and radicalisation issues that could affect the UK.

Ian Blackford, the Scottish National party’s leader in Westminster, said the extent of the relationship between the government, SCL and Cambridge Analytica needed to be made public. “The FCO’s dealings with Cambridge Analytica and the £400,000 given to SCL is an alarming revelation, and raises further questions about the government’s dealings with these companies. How many other departments have had such relations with SCL and CA?” Blackford also revealed that he had forwarded questions to Theresa May about links between the Conservative party and Cambridge Analytica, currently under investigation by the information commissioner over the huge leak of Facebook data, but had not received an answer. The company used personal information harvested from more than 50 million Facebook profiles to target US voters with personalised political advertisements.

So far it has been established that SCL was granted provisional “List X” status by the Ministry of Defence until 2013, giving it access to secret documents. The MoD praised SCL for the training it provided to a psychological operations warfare group with an official stating it would “have no hesitation in inviting SCL to tender for further contracts of this nature”. The meetings between the Foreign Office and Cambridge Analytica appear to have been at a time May’s government was looking to foster relationships with Trump’s team, with the prime minister having been left embarrassed after Nigel Farage became the first British politician to meet the president following his victory in November 2016.

The revelations also follow recent details of a previously undisclosedmeeting in December 2016 between Boris Johnson and Alexander Nix, Cambridge Analytica’s suspended chief executive. Reports documenting the meeting suggest Johnson was not hoping to gain details of the algorithm that helped Trump to victory but improve links with the president.

Blackford has previously raised questions about links between the Tories and SCL’s chairman Julian Wheatland. In April 2015 Wheatland, also chairman of Oxford Conservative Association, tweeted a selfie with the then prime minister David Cameron.
the deep state which unites people from the Tory establishment, Tory donors, the military establishment, private and public intelligence firms and the defense industry, all coming together to manipulate and pervert the democratic process worldwide.

This is just called "the Establishment", Atlantis. It has existed for many centuries. I simply don't understand why you, or anyone else for that matter, is shocked by these 'revelations'. Look up where the word cabal comes from....

Wiki wrote:There is a theory that the term took on its present meaning from a group of ministers ("Cabal ministry") of King Charles II of England (Sir Thomas Clifford, Lord Arlington, the Duke of Buckingham, Lord Ashley, and Lord Lauderdale), whose initial letters coincidentally spelled CABAL, and who were the signatories of the Secret Treaty of Dover that allied England to France in a prospective war against the Netherlands.[3] The theory that the word originated as an acronym from the names of the group of ministers is a folk etymology, although the coincidence was noted at the time and could possibly have popularized its use.[4] The group came to prominence after the fall of Charles' first Chief Minister, Lord Clarendon, in 1667. The Cabal was later called by Lord Macauley "the first germ of the present system of government by a Cabinet".
:lol:

Why do you think I became a Communist in the first place, Atlantis? It is the only appropriate response to the reality of British society.
Potemkin wrote:This is just called "the Establishment", Atlantis. It has existed for many centuries. I simply don't understand why you, or anyone else for that matter, is shocked by these 'revelations'.

Indeed. Why on earth would Britain need a "deep state" when it's impossible for anyone who remotely threatens the status quo to be elected in the first place? :lol:
Heisenberg wrote:Indeed. Why on earth would Britain need a "deep state" when it's impossible for anyone who remotely threatens the status quo to be elected in the first place? :lol:

All though true, I doubt this will remain so for the next election - despite the media trying their best to upset the odds. They are so desperate that they are even pinning anti-semitism on the guy for a remark that clearly wasn't anti-semitic.
Last edited by B0ycey on 29 Apr 2018 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Potemkin wrote:Why do you think I became a Communist in the first place, Atlantis? It is the only appropriate response to the reality of British society.

Knowing perfectly well that the communists don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning in the homeland of capitalist exploitation, you can be safely communist without putting in danger the comforts provided by the empire to its subjects.

Can you explain your thinking on this point, Pote? What does this mean to you personally?
Potemkin wrote:This is just called "the Establishment", Atlantis. It has existed for many centuries. I simply don't understand why you, or anyone else for that matter, is shocked by these 'revelations'.

True, but most people don't know this and the only way to make them aware is to keep shouting about it, so i'm not sure why you are critical of people posting about it. It needs to be discussed as much as possible.
True, but most people don't know this and the only way to make them aware is to keep shouting about it, so i'm not sure why you are critical of people posting about it. It needs to be discussed as much as possible.

How can they not be aware of it? Are they retarded or something? Were they dropped on their heads when they were babies? What the fuck is wrong with them? :eh:
Seeker8 wrote:Probably the same reason people think Britain were most responsible for winning WW2. It's what they want to believe.

But we were most responsible for winning WW2. Did the Germans have a stiff upper lip, English breakfast tea, and cricket on the village green? No. I rest my case. :excited:
Potemkin wrote:How can they not be aware of it? Are they retarded or something? Were they dropped on their heads when they were babies? What the fuck is wrong with them? :eh:

They trust the establishment more than the communists to deliver the goods. And you can't do a bloody thing about it.

Seeker8 wrote:so i'm not sure why you are critical of people posting about it. It needs to be discussed as much as possible.

Could it be that deep down @Potemkin has rather reconciled himself to the status quo?

Heisenberg wrote:But we were most responsible for winning WW2. Did the Germans have a stiff upper lip, English breakfast tea, and cricket on the village green? No. I rest my case. :excited:

You did a poor job of colonizing us then. We still have don't have a stiff upper lip, don't play cricket on the village green and you can keep that brownish mud that's corroding your teeth to yourself. :p
Just because the biggest house in every political subdivision is owned by the chairman of a political party with no visible signs of income does not mean there is a cabal. :)
Atlantis wrote:You did a poor job of colonizing us then. We still have don't have a stiff upper lip

Well, this is the problem. The German national DNA simply lacks moral fibre, and no amount of firm-but-fair parenting will fix it.

Atlantis wrote:don't play cricket on the village green

Oh, really?
Germany became an affiliate member of the ICC in 1991. :excited:

Atlantis wrote:and you can keep that brownish mud that's corroding your teeth to yourself.

Tea is much less likely to stain your teeth than coffee, you ungrateful German bastard. :)

:music: TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD UP, DOO DAH, DOO DAH :music:
Heisenberg wrote::music: TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD UP, DOO DAH, DOO DAH :music:

WE WON EUROPE AND YOU LOST A GLOBAL EMPIRE - DOO DAH, DOO DAH :p

Final act: the death rattle of the Empire - music in my ear.

One Degree wrote:Tea is for those incapable of embracing the full reality of coffee. A poor, weak imitation.

Tea is good, even herbal tea, as long as you don't fill it up with sugar. Sugar is bad for your teeth, it causes hepatitis and obesity. No good!
As a natural peacemaker, I think we can all agree that putting sugar in tea is an abomination against all that is good and holy.

(Although I'm glad Atlantis has finally admitted that the EU is, in fact, the German empire. :D )
I'm half-English, half-Welsh, so I reserve the right to act like a shameless English yob for the purposes of trying to wind up Atlantis. :D

As it happens, I like Germany a lot, and will probably end up rooting for them when England lose on penalties following an inevitably drab 0-0 with Poland in the last 16. :lol:
Heisenberg wrote:As it happens, I like Germany a lot, and will probably end up rooting for them when England lose on penalties following an inevitably drab 0-0 with Poland in the last 16. :lol:

And you are right about that too. Soccer is the game of the people. It builds team spirit. Cricket is for snobs and rugby is for your brutish cousins on the other side of the big pond.

I didn't say anything about a German empire. As I explained elsewhere, the empire requires a strong power centre and uses divide-and-rule tactics, while the European project is federal in nature and is based on consensus building and peaceful coexistence, which is the very guarantee for the independence of small countries from the imperialist ambitions of big countries.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yuval Noah Harari about MAGA​: https://youtu.be/W[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbl_6RDhkM :D […]