Young Europeans believe in the EU, fear Donald Trump - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Long live Europe and fuck the bloody Empire! The future belongs to us. And my very special thanks to the Brexshitters. You have done an incredible job. [thumbs up] :D

Given the chance, young Europeans would vote no to a Brexit, Frexit, Grexit or Polexit. They believe in democracy but not in their political institutions. And they see Donald Trump as a threat, a new study shows.

New research indicates that young people in Britain, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland and Spain are, by varying degrees, not inclined to embrace populist positions, nor would they support their country leaving the bloc, if they had a chance to vote on it, the Youth Europe 2018 study, carried out by YouGov on behalf of the TUI Foundation, found.

Asked to vote on whether their country should leave the European Union, 71 percent of young Europeans said "no," an increase over last year when 61 percentsaid they would opt to remain. Their attitudes definitely have to do with the effect of Brexit, says Marcus Spittler, a research fellow focused on populism, youth and democracy at the WZB Berlin Social Science Center and a consultant on the study.

"Young people voted against Brexit beforehand, and now they're seeing how poorly the negotiations are working between the EU and the United Kingdom."

But there's more to it than just that, he added: "I also think it's [French President Emmanuel] Macron. He has a pro-European vision and speaks very positively about the EU, in contrast to populist actors who regularly engage against the European Union."

Young Europeans see the bloc as primarily being an economic alliance (73 percent). They see the policy of open borders and the freedom to travel and work within the bloc as of secondary importance (69 percent), followed by being an alliance to ensure peace in Europe (63 percent).

Spittler says the rise in support for the European project this year — which grew most among the French — is likely not very stable, pointing to the first round of French elections in 2017, when young voters tended to cast their ballots for populist candidates on the right and left. Instead, young people's increased backing for the EU reflects the ability to frame a positive message, a lesson other European policymakers could learn.

'German and European'

The study also showed that more than half of young Europeans (52 percent) are more inclined to identify as European in addition to their nationality, an increase of 7 percent, while only 34 percent describe themselves exclusively with their nationality, down from 42 percent last year.

Despite seeing themselves as European, though, only one-third (34 percent) trust EU institutions, while even fewer believe in trade unions, churches or the media. Political parties benefit from even less trust.

Young people would like to see change in their countries. Only 17 percent believe their political systems function as they should, while 45 percent perceive a need for reforms and 28 percent believe radical change is the only solution.

EU is trending among young people in Europe

"People are more involved in democracy and politics in general, but that doesn't mean that they are satisfied with it," says Spittler.

'Democracy is best'

But 58 percent do believe in democracy, and only 6 percent would prefer a different system, the study found. At the same time, the tendency toward holding populistic attitudes was as low as 7 percent in Germany and highest in Poland, at 23 percent.

The study identified young people as having a tendency toward populistic attitudes depending on their views in three areas: elitism ("The so-called elites are different from the people"); a preference for popular sovereignty ("Politicians in parliament must follow the people's will"); and a belief in the homogeneity and virtuousness of the people ("Ordinary people share common values and interests").

A graphic shows tendencies toward populistic attitudes

But populists — whether on the right or left — don't necessarily reject democracy. Indeed "when you go back to the populist and the non-populist, you see that both care very much about democracy," Spittler says.

But that doesn't mean they understand it in the same fashion. Those who tend toward populistic beliefs are even more distrustful and skeptical of political actors and institutions. Some (64 percent) would like to see political decisions made by experts rather than by elected officials. They may accept the role of opposition parties being compromised so that the political process is not hampered or slowed down.

Whether they had populistic tendencies or not, most young people view US President Donald Trump as a threat (57 percent) rather than an opportunity (11 percent). Only young Poles were more inclined to see things differently: 29 percent see Trump as an opportunity, while 25 percent see him as a threat.

YouGov consulted 6,080 16- to 26-year-olds from Britain, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland and Spain in online panels for the TUI Foundation. It is the second such study by the foundation, whose goal is to strengthen belief in the European idea.
Really, surveys of the most indoctrinated liberal supporters are suppose to be proof of something.
Let us see the surprising results from farmers in Indiana next.
The fallacy is believing their opinions will not change with age and real life slapping them down.
If liberalism is such a great idea, why do you have to depend upon the young for support? It was very popular when I was young. Using a difference in age as an argument makes no sense. Why did liberalism lose all the older people? Most baby boomers were liberals protesting all over the place. Perhaps the appeal is only to the idealistic who are ignorant of the real world?
This has nothing to do with liberalism One Degree. It is about generation thinking. The youth throughout Europe believe in European unity. Which means the future of the EU is strong. And that is bad for imperialism. So the UK may be destined to become Air Strip One, but the rest of Europe will save themselves from US foriegn policy. I sense it.
Atlantis wrote::lol: imperialist chills are bad losers.

Go and join the sour grape faction, there is nowhere else for you to turn.

Shills, Atlantis. The word is 'shills'. :)
‘European Unity’ is a step toward ‘liberal globalism’. You are running toward a lion because you are afraid of it’s cub.
Last edited by One Degree on 03 May 2018 18:53, edited 2 times in total.
One Degree wrote:‘European Unity’ is a step toward ‘liberal globalism’. You are running toward a lion because you are afraid of a cat.

Can I ask, do you know what liberal means?

I suppose someone who believes that Slavery was a choice cannot fathom that equality and unity is indeed something that should be aimed for.

And if you consider imperialism a cat and Liberalism a lion, then there is no hope for you. But you are in your senior years. And the future is with the youth. So the future is bright.
Last edited by B0ycey on 03 May 2018 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Beren wrote:It's not liberalism that is getting popularity among the young.

Juncker to celebrate Karl Marx's birthday

Both communism and liberalism are used to make their followers believe they are pursuing the opposite of what they are. It is not the ideology that is wrong but the people using it to accomplish their own ends.
B0ycey wrote:Can I ask, do you know what liberal means?

I suppose someone who believes that Slavery was a choice cannot fathom that equality and unity is indeed something that should be aimed for.

And if you consider imperialism a cat and Liberalism a lion, then there is no hope for you. But you are in your senior years. And the future is with the youth. So the future is bright.

How about you define equality and unity without using liberalisms. Equality by whose standards? Unity on what level?
These are just meaningless catchphrases to entice the naive. I support equality and unity. I reject your view of what that means.
B0ycey wrote:What are your opinions on that statue in New York harbour @One Degree?

I don’t give it much thought. What the French thought so long ago does not concern me much. It is an emotional and political symbol. So What? Our ancestors thought scalping and slavery were good ideas too.
One Degree wrote:I don’t give it much thought. What the French thought so long ago does not concern me much. It is an emotional and political symbol. So What?

The 'so what' is "Liberty" is what America stands for. They fuckin' worship a big bell with a crack going down it for the pursuit of it. So for you, as an American, to be against it means you are against what your nation stands for. So if you are so against Liberalism perhaps stop shitting on Europe until you sort out your own country first.
B0ycey wrote:The 'so what' is "Liberty" is what America stands for. They fuckin' worship a big bell with a crack going down it for the pursuit of it. So for you, as an American, to be against it means you are against what your nation stands for. So if you are so against Liberalism perhaps stop shitting on Europe until you sort out your own country first.

It is actually hilarious you are using two examples of when my view of liberty was almost the only one to justify your view which was almost unheard of. None of the people of the time would accept your view. It is amazing how propaganda can confuse people.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]