Trump’s ambassador to Germany says he wants to ‘empower’ European conservatives - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
We had to be reeducated after the war, and now they want to reeducate us again, just the other way around. Wish they could make up their mind ...

First thing we have to learn "alt-right populists" are now called "conservatives", repeat all after me ...

Richard Grenell, President Trump’s new ambassador to Germany, said in a new interview that he wants to “empower” conservative leaders in Europe.

“I absolutely want to empower other conservatives throughout Europe, other leaders,” Grenell told Breitbart. “I think there is a groundswell of conservative policies that are taking hold because of the failed policies of the left.”

“There are a lot of conservatives throughout Europe who have contacted me to say they are feeling there is a resurgence going on,” Grenell said.

The ambassador said that Trump’s election empowered people to take on the “political class.” He also railed against the German media that has often been critical of the president.

“That’s a very powerful moment when you can grasp the ability to see past the group-think of a very small elitist crowd telling you you have no chance to win or you’ll never win, or they mock you early on.”

Grenell, who was sworn in last month, said that anti-establishment candidates need to focus on supporting conservative issues that help ordinary working people to win, according to Breitbart.

He added that there is massive support for candidates who can articulate “consistent conservative” policies.

The former Fox News commentator also served as a United Nations spokesman during the George W. Bush administration.
Source

US regime change program going into full gear for Europe.

And some of you wonder why the Yanks are so dear to my heart. :knife:
Conservatives already have Europe, Putin in Russia, the Tories in the UK and the Christian Democratic Union in Germany. What is it with the right pretending to be defeated victims when they have already been running the show all over the world for decades?

I wish the left had even a quarter of the power the right seems to think we have. :lol: The UK hasn't had a left wing government since Jim Callaghan was voted out in 1979 and yet Tories always go on and on about how oppressed they all are.
Richard Grenell, President Trump’s new ambassador to Germany, said in a new interview that he wants to “empower” conservative leaders in Europe.

“I absolutely want to empower other conservatives throughout Europe, other leaders,” Grenell told Breitbart. “I think there is a groundswell of conservative policies that are taking hold because of the failed policies of the left.”

In other words, Europe isn't pro Trump enough. Perhaps the Trade wars aren't helping you out there Grenell. Keep your global ambitions away from here and leave them behind in your own backyard. Leave European politics alone please.
Last edited by B0ycey on 03 Jun 2018 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Decky wrote:Conservatives already have Europe, Putin in Russia, the Tories in the UK and the Christian Democratic Union in Germany. What is it with the right pretending to be defeated victims when they have already been running the show all over the world for decades?

I wish the left had even a quarter of the power the right seems to think we have. :lol: The UK hasn't had a left wing government since Jim Callaghan was voted out in 1979 and yet Tories always go on and on about how oppressed they all are.

These "conservatives" make Jacobin's look like Ronald Reagan.
Beren wrote:I actually wonder if Trump means to screw US-Germany relations completely with this new ambassador. And who would benefit?

I know you still think Trump is a Putin puppet. I don't really think so. I think Trump bears a deep grudge against Germany. He also thinks that he can split the EU by resorting to Kraut bashing. He's been watching Farage on Fox explaining to Americans how everybody in Europe hates the Germans. Apart from that, he just thinks he is the greatest and can piss at everybody.

Grenell caused an uproar in Germany when the first thing he did as ambassador was to tell German industry to get out off Iran.
Grenell obviously isn't familiar with the job description of an ambassador. In particular, he doesn't understand that an ambassador is a diplomat and not a politician interfering in the democratic process of the host country. And he doesn't understand that he represents all Americans and not just the followers of Donald Trump.

German politicians have hit back at the new US ambassador for having said he wanted to "empower" Europe's right.

Richard Grenell, appointed by President Donald Trump last year, was speaking to right-wing Breitbart News. Diplomats usually avoid political point-scoring.

A German foreign ministry spokesman said "we have asked the US side for clarification".

Lars Klingbeil, a top Social Democrat (SPD) official, accused the ambassador of "interfering" in German affairs.

Mr Klingbeil told Mr Grenell off in an angry tweet addressed to him personally.

Skip Twitter post by @larsklingbeil
I know you are still quite new at your post, but it is not part of the job description of an ambassador to interfere in the politics of his guest country, Mr @RichardGrenell #thankyou https://t.co/Wi5uF9WjCO

— Lars Klingbeil (@larsklingbeil) June 4, 2018
End of Twitter post by @larsklingbeil

The centre-left SPD is in a governing coalition with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU).

Former SPD leader Martin Schulz - a previous European Parliament president - said Mr Grenell "is behaving not like a diplomat, but like a far-right colonial officer".

Mr Grenell had told Breitbart: "I think there is a groundswell of conservative policies that are taking hold because of the failed policies of the left."

His comments follow several other controversial remarks by Trump-appointed diplomats.

In the interview, the ambassador, who only took office last month, said President Trump's election had energised people to take on the "political class". Mr Grenell said he had been contacted by people throughout Europe about a conservative "resurgence".

He attacked the perceived bias of the media and politicians against Mr Trump as "the group-think of a very small elitist crowd", and praised Austria's conservative Chancellor Sebastian Kurz as a "rock star".

Mr Kurz's party formed a coalition with the far-right Freedom Party in 2017.

Right-wing populists have won support across Europe, with recent electoral success for parties in Italy and Slovenia that espouse anti-immigration policies.

US Democratic Senator Chris Murphy described Mr Grenell's interview as "awful" and said he had previously spoken to him about "politicising this post".

Image Copyright @ChrisMurphyCT@CHRISMURPHYCT

What's his background?
Formerly the longest serving US spokesperson at the United Nations, Mr Grenell is under contract with Fox News as a contributor on world affairs and the media.

He has also written for the Wall Street Journal, Politico, the Washington Times, Al Jazeera, CBS News and CNN.

A Senate vote in May confirmed him as US ambassador to Germany.

But only an hour after he officially began his role, Mr Grenell provoked controversy for tweeting that German companies should "wind down operations immediately" in Iran, following Mr Trump's announcement that the US was pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal.

Image Copyright @RichardGrenell@RICHARDGRENELL
Is 'diplomatic language' dying out?
Mr Grenell's comments are the most recent case of controversial language from a US diplomat.

The US state department's guide, Protocol for the Modern Diplomat, states that "each country will be respected uniformly and without bias", and includes the instruction "that as a guest, one is expected to respect the host's culture".

However, former US ambassador to Germany John Kornblum told the BBC there is "no lexicon" for ambassadors.

"There is no such thing as diplomatic language," he said. "The language diplomats use is attuned to their needs."

For example, during the negotiations for the Dayton Agreement in 1995, Mr Kornblum says there was "incredibly undiplomatic" language used to criticise heads of government, in particular Serbia.

He also believes that in Europe there is a greater degree of "self-censorship" among diplomats that does not apply anywhere else in the world, saying "Europeans are especially sensitive".

However, he agrees that President Trump has changed things.

"Mr Trump has taken political language in the US to new depths," said Mr Kornblum. And he thinks diplomats abroad could be trying to emulate their president.

President Trump has infamously dubbed Mexicans "drug dealers" and "rapists", reportedly used derogatory language to describe some African countries and claimed knife crime in London had left a hospital there "like a war zone".

In October 2017, US ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa Scott Brown said he was under investigation for telling a woman at a Peace Corps event she was "beautiful" and could "make hundreds of dollars" if she worked as a waitress in the US.

In a video statement to New Zealand media, Mr Brown admitted he had made the comments, but only did so because the people he saw before the event "were all dirty and grungy, and when we walked in, they were all dressed to the nines; they looked great".

And US ambassador to the Netherlands Pete Hoekstra was recently caught out over his claims about "no-go zones" in the country due to Islamic extremism.

But Grenell has one big fan who absolutely wants to meet him:

Netanyahu to meet US envoy in Germany who wants to ’empower’ European right

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will meet with US Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell at Berlin’s airport later today.

He says Grenell requested the meeting.

Grenell sparked controversy after telling the right-wing Breitbart news site that he wants to “empower” right-wing politicians in Europe.

His comments were criticized by a number of European lawmakers and the German foreign ministry earlier today asked for a clarification of his remarks.

Looks like Trump and Bibi are about to promote right-wing extremists in Europe.

We ought to reciprocate by promoting Palestinians and Hezbollah in the ME.
Atlantis wrote:Grenell obviously isn't familiar with the job description of an ambassador. In particular, he doesn't understand that an ambassador is a diplomat and not a politician interfering in the democratic process of the host country. And he doesn't understand that he represents all Americans and not just the followers of Donald Trump.

He must be a perfect pick for Trump's ambassador to Germany.

Wikipedia wrote:Frederick sold his business and settled with Elizabeth in New York. She did not like it so much, and wanted to go back to Bavaria with her husband and daughter. Frederick wanted to get back his Bavarian citizenship. This failed because of the illegal emmigration years earlier. A letter, today in the national archive in Speyer, forces Trump to leave the country until May 1905. Trump tried to avoid the leave by writing to Luitpold, but no success. 1st of July 1905 they boarded the Pennsylvania. Three months later Donald Trump's father was born.

So Trump's grandparents and aunt (and his father) were kicked out of Germany and the Donald is just revengeful too much perhaps. :lol:
Beren wrote:So Trump's grandparents and aunt (and his father) were kicked out of Germany and the Donald is just revengeful too much perhaps.

Apparently, the Bavarians wouldn't let him stay because he avoided military service. It must be eating at Trump (or Drumpf as the family was originally called) to think that his ancestors of native Germans (or Bavarians) were expelled from the country while, today, millions of Muslims from the ME are 'welcomed'.

I feel sorry for having offloaded him on the Yanks, but better they than us :lol:
Beren wrote:I'm sure he'd be another great chancellor from Bavaria! :excited:

Beren, please never tell a Bavarian that you don't know the difference between Bavarians and Austrians. You can compare Bavarians to Prussians, Italians, even to Americans, but NEVER NEVER to Austrians. :moron:

That is the ultimate insult.

Just look at Kaiserschmarrn and you know what I mean.
Last edited by Atlantis on 04 Jun 2018 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
More hypocrisy. I agree ambassadors should not interfere in internal politics. So where was your outrage about western liberalism being demanded of other countries by our ambassadors?
Atlantis wrote:Beren, please never tell a Bavarian that you don't know the difference between Bavarians and Austrians. You can compare Bavarians to Prussians, Italians, even to Americans, but NEVER NEVER to Austrians. :moron:

That is the ultimate insult.

Just look at Kaiserschmarrn and you know what I mean.

Hitler became chancellor as a Bavarian, not as an Austrian, he started to make a political career in Bavaria, not Austria, he also served in the Bavarian Army. His nationality was Austrian, but his politics was Bavarian.

However, I know it's supposed to be another civilisation east and south of Passau. :lol:

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]