EU-BREXIT - Page 30 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Nonsense
Heisenberg wrote:Jeremy Hunt is foreign secretary! :lol:

They aren't even trying any more.

Yep!, it's like playing musical chairs on the Titanic & Cap't MAY is on the bridge, what could possibly go right? :roll: :roll:
By Beren
Euronews wrote:Britain's former foreign minister Boris Johnson has accused Prime Minister Theresa May of betraying millions of Brexit voters and has urged the government to rethink its strategy, adding that the country would never again have the chance to get it right.

I agree with him, Britain will never again have the chance to get it right.

Johnson warned against making "the fatal mistake of underestimating the intelligence of the public"

:lol:
By Kaiserschmarrn
The most interesting aspect of recent developments is that the British government's white paper may well have been acceptable 2 years ago even to a majority of Brexit voters. Not anymore which is excellent news.
By ingliz
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:the British government's white paper may well have been acceptable 2 years ago even to a majority of Brexit voters.

Does that matter when the paper will not be accepted by the EU?

Speech by Michel Barnier at the 7th State of the Union Conference, European University Institute, Florence, 5 May 2017 wrote:These four freedoms are indivisible. This is how our Single Market works. And let me be clear: the integrity of the Single Market will never be compromised in these negotiations.

It is just another example of 'cakeism'.
Last edited by ingliz on 21 Jul 2018 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The most interesting aspect of recent developments is that the British government's white paper may well have been acceptable 2 years ago even to a majority of Brexit voters. Not anymore which is excellent news.

I can't remember what your basic position on Brexit is, so I don't know why that is "excellent news" to you. Is it that you want an exit with no agreement, and you're happy that Leavers are getting more hardline? Do you think that lack of support for the white paper will mean that the UK stays in after all? Or that negotiations will have to keep the UK closer, eg in a customs union? Or are you just happy to see Theresa May losing support, just because you don't like her? Or just general confusion in the UK?
By Beren
Extreme polarisation of British society that cripples the British government and the country itself must be excellent news indeed. :roll: The only excellent news about Brexit being a clusterfuck is that it has become a perfect deterrent by now. I wonder whether Le Pen herself would ever campaign with a Frexit vote again and I can't hear anyone asking for Italy's exit in Italy.
By Ter

Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has announced his intention to form a grand alliance of populists from across Europe ahead of next year’s European Union parliamentary elections.

The populist leader of the League (Lega), which formed an anti-establishment coalition earlier this year with the Five Star Movement (M5S), made his comments on Friday, saying that he wanted to unite the populist parties to challenge the establishment parliamentary groups, Kronen Zeitung reports.

“I want to unite the parties that will form the new majority in the European Parliament, the parties in Austria, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, and Germany,” Salvini said.

The announcement comes only weeks after Salvini said that he aimed to make the League not only an Italian movement but also a European one.

“I want to give voice to another kind of Europe, the Europe of the hope of work and certainty, and all the parties will have to choose which side to be on,” he said, adding that the goal of the movement would be to free Europe from the globalist push for mass migration and failed economic policies.

Salvini noted that next year’s EU parliamentary elections were “essential”, adding on to previous statements made last month in which he said: “Next year will see new European Parliament elections. Within one year, we will see if a united Europe still exists or if it doesn’t.”

Since making the move to block NGO migrant ferries from Italian ports in June, the popularity of both Salvini and the League has soared, with some polls showing the party to be even more popular than their Five Star Movement coalition partners, who became Italy’s largest single party after the last election.

The League also saw massive gains in local elections last month, with many historically left-wing towns supporting them. Following the result, Salvini commented: “The more the left insults us, the more the citizens reward us.”

https://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/0 ... -election/
The bolding is mine.
This is wonderful !
Finally someone who is serious about stopping the mass migration into Europe.
He has my blessing.
By ingliz
Ter wrote:This is wonderful !

The latest YouGov poll shows that if voters were offered a new vote they would overturn the referendum result, with remaining in the EU beating leaving with no deal by 54% to 46%.

:)
By Ter
ingliz wrote:The latest YouGov poll shows that if voters were offered a new vote they would overturn the referendum result, with remaining in the EU beating leaving with no deal by 54% to 46%.

:)

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle :D
There will not be another referendum
By Rugoz
Not that I think polls at this point are particularly relevant, but one cannot seriously argue against a referendum on the deal reached.
By ingliz
Ter wrote:This is wonderful !

Chaos?

Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab refuses to deny UK government is stockpiling food and medical supplies in case of 'No Deal'.

Britain steps up doomsday planning for no-deal Brexit, Financial Times July 20, 2018 wrote:... many aspects of the contingency planning — like the M26 idea and the use of RAF aircraft to ferry supplies of food and medicine around the country — are so drastic that they risk alarming the public.

:lol:
By Beren
Ter wrote:There will not be another referendum

I find a snap election more likely too, which would be a quasi-referendum as well.

Also Ter, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiserschmarrn opened a new thread for your topic again.
By ingliz
Beren wrote:a snap election more likely

With a compromise deal unable to command a majority in the House, and Remain ruled out, something needs to be done or the UK will crash out of the EU .

Crashing out is not good. Leaked UK Government analysis of a WTO Brexit show an estimated GDP loss of 10.3%/3 million unemployed/Tax take down/Public services screwed/etc.,etc.

According to senior diplomats and European commission officials, an extension of the article 50 negotiations will not be granted unless there is a major realignment in British politics.

Article 50 extension would need major shift in UK politics, say EU officials, Guardian Sun 22 Jul 2018 wrote:[S]enior EU officials and diplomats do not see any purpose in an extension to article 50, the two-year negotiating period set aside for a member withdrawing from the union, unless there is a change in British politics that can offer genuine hope of a better outcome.

“If it is time just for the sake of putting off an inevitable no deal, then it will not happen,” one senior diplomat involved in the negotiations said.
Last edited by ingliz on 23 Jul 2018 06:54, edited 3 times in total.
By Beren
A snap election is all I could imagine right now, and if Labour wins or could form a coalition government, a referendum would be possible.
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:A snap election is all I could imagine right now, and if Labour wins or could form a coalition government, a referendum would be possible.

Your faith in Corbyn is unfounded Beren. Only the Lib Dems would enact such an act. My only hope is that when the reality settles in and the obvious becomes clearer, May passes the buck onto the public rather than take the hit that a 'no deal' will have on her legacy. But even that is unfounded wishful thinking.
By Beren
I don't have that much faith in Corbyn, but I still have some faith in Britain perhaps. And I don't mean undoing Brexit here, of course.
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:I don't have that much faith in Corbyn, but I still have some faith in Britain perhaps. And I don't mean undoing Brexit here, of course.

What faith are you expecting then? It doesn't take Einstein to realise that unless there is a reason for Brexit, Brexit has no reason. And that is why 'no Brexit' or 'hard Brexit' are the only realistic outcomes. The UK want benefits and the EU want consensus. For the UK to submit to the EU is to remain in the EU in all but name without the voting privileges - so what is the point of Brexit right? But for the EU to submit to the UK is to reject the principles of the single market - giving reason for Brexit that other nations may follow. Neither outcome would ever have consensus for both Brexiteers or Remainers btw. So an election will not change the outcome of Brexit as Corbyn and May are Cakeists trying to please both sides. The only realistic and sensible approach to take is to give a vote to the public with only two options. A no deal Brexit or to repel article 50.
Last edited by B0ycey on 22 Jul 2018 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
By Nonsense
Rugoz wrote:Not that I think polls at this point are particularly relevant, but one cannot seriously argue against a referendum on the deal reached.

That is the 'Remainer' argument,which has no validity at all.

It made me LMAO on the Andrew Marr show this morning, when John MAJOR tried to make the case for a second referendum, by saying that there was a 'moral' case to be had for it.

That was from a former Prime Minister who couldn't keep his flies zipped up behind the PM's office door in 10 Downing Street, so much for 'morality', LOL. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt that his wife believed it when it became public knowledge, I mean, the 'Grey' man of British politics having a momentary 'fling' for which she clearly didn't think he had it in him, perhaps Edwina covered her face when he 'performed' his solo act & dreamt of James BOND doing his 'duty' for the country. :p :roll: :roll:
By Potemkin
Nonsense wrote:That is the 'Remainer' argument,which has no validity at all.

It made me LMAO on the Andrew Marr show this morning, when John MAJOR tried to make the case for a second referendum, by saying that there was a 'moral' case to be had for it.

That was from a former Prime Minister who couldn't keep his flies zipped up behind the PM's office door in 10 Downing Street, so much for 'morality', LOL. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt that his wife believed it when it became public knowledge, I mean, the 'Grey' man of British politics having a momentary 'fling' for which she clearly didn't think he had it in him, perhaps Edwina covered her face when he 'performed' his solo act & dreamt of James BOND doing his 'duty' for the country. :p :roll: :roll:

Back to Basics, Nonsense, Back to Basics! :excited:

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]