EU-BREXIT - Page 328 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By JohnRawls
Also:

By QatzelOk
B0ycey wrote:So when we all turn into Zombies we know who to blame...

His point (and the cartoonists point) was that virtually all the UK produces is human excrement and used fish-n-chips packaging.
By JohnRawls
Just imagine, 6 year passing and we still stand on the same place as 5-6 years ago: No deal brexit or extension. It is as if the deal is almost not possible to achieve due to competing interests on all sides and within both EU and UK. Oh wait but that is exactly what some people have said since Day 1 about Brexit :knife:

COUGH... TUSK... COUGH... ME... :|
By Beren
The Guardian wrote:In particular he had made clear throughout last year there was an urgent need to increase the number of customs agents to help firms with mountains of extra paperwork. The number now, around 10,000, is still about a fifth of what the RHA says is required to handle the massive increase in paperwork facing exporters.

Burnett told the Observer that in addition to the 68% fall-off in exports, about 65%-75% of vehicles that had come over from the EU were going back empty because there were no goods for them to return with, due to hold-ups on the UK side, and because some UK companies had either temporarily or permanently halted exports to the EU. “I find it deeply frustrating and annoying that ministers have chosen not to listen to the industry and experts,” he said.

I'm sure these are just short-term losses, for which extra lucrative FTAs made by the UK government on its own will abundantly compensate the economy of the country in the long term.
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:I'm sure these are just short-term losses, for which extra lucrative FTAs made by the UK government on its own will abundantly compensate the economy of the country in the long term.

:lol:

Yeah, and the government have even suggested building hubs (so moving jobs) into the EU to by pass this problem. Like everything in life, Brexit was a utopia that will turn into a clusterfuck for no deal - even if we are accepted into the CPTPP - will ever be better than the Single Market. It is just businesses haven't fully adjusted yet. That and our Covid response has masked the economic Clusterfuck entirely being that the trades that would have been hurt hugely from Brexit are being hit ten time worse with Covid lockdowns.
By JohnRawls
Beren wrote:I'm sure these are just short-term losses, for which extra lucrative FTAs made by the UK government on its own will abundantly compensate the economy of the country in the long term.

It is a bit too early to say anything. This particular data is probably heavily influenced by the Coronavirus also. I doubt the fall is that dramatic. Export/import is about 30% of UK GDP. Goods are 60% of this while services are around 40% which puts it at around 18% of UK gdp. Now European Union is around 50% of that export/import which means that 9% of UK GDP is affected. And the article states that the drop is 70% so you are claiming that UK basically lost around 6.3% of its GDP. That is beyond the "worst" case scenario that both EU and UK produced. Not to mention it would imply far larger LONG TERM losses.
By Atlantis
B0ycey wrote:So when we all turn into Zombies we know who to blame...

You mean, if it fails blame the Germans, if it succeeds celebrate that Great British success?
By Beren
B0ycey wrote:Yeah, and the government have even suggested building hubs (so moving jobs) into the EU to by pass this problem.

Sure, they obviously can't suggest recruiting 40,000 additional customs agents in the foreseeable future. :lol:
By B0ycey
Atlantis wrote:You mean, if it fails blame the Germans, if it succeeds celebrate that Great British success?

Bloody hell Atlantis, I posted that ages ago and it was a joke. All Vaccines are safe. I want to clarify that.

@Beren, Indeed. But BoJo can get away without spelling things out because everyone's attention has moved away from Brexit towards Covid. Covid is masking the true impact of Brexit and until the EU move forward whilst we stagnate people will be oblivious of the impact. But that could take years being that the Aero, tourism and Automotive industries are being hit very hard right now.
By Beren
Atlantis wrote:You mean, if it fails blame the Germans, if it succeeds celebrate that Great British success?

Sorry, but the Germans only occupy the third place perhaps, the first two to blame are the EU and the French respectively.

B0ycey wrote:BoJo can get away with

anything if he whips out a kipper in public.

By Atlantis
Beren wrote:Sorry, but the Germans only occupy the third place perhaps, the first two to blame are the EU and the French respectively.

Definitely not, the Germans together with the EU deserve the first place for believing the hype about the "Oxford" vaccine, as if we hadn't known about the Perfidious Albion for centuries.

Anglophiles on the continent are a hopeless species.
By JohnRawls
Well, people wanted Singapore on the Themes. But now UK is going to be Singapoor on the Themes.

As I said several times in this topic before Brexit was finalized. Although Brexit can be a success, there is no political or public will to make it a success in a way that it will work. Blair was pretty vocal about it regarding Brexit but nobody listened.

So what are you going to do now pro Brexit people? Leaving the EU destroyed agreements between you and EU on top of agreements between other countries and UK. So your competitiveness is worse compared to what it used to be. You are not planning to massively remove regulations because otherwise EU will impose tariffs which will make the situation a lot worse. You are also not planning to decrease the taxes and are actually just increased them.

Do you understand how much "in the shitter" UK economy is right now both short term because of Covid and also long term because of Brexit, Higher taxes, etc etc ? In 5-10 years UK will become the sick man of Europe on pneumonia..... And that will be from the fastest growing economy out of the G7. :knife:

The link and quote has been posted. As well as li[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]