EU-BREXIT - Page 313 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Ter
In light of the recent developments, could the EU change tack and return to its original goal ?
A trade organisation would be fine, with cooperation in a number of agreed fields.
Forget about the "ever closer union".
By JohnRawls
Ter wrote:In light of the recent developments, could the EU change tack and return to its original goal ?
A trade organisation would be fine, with cooperation in a number of agreed fields.
Forget about the "ever closer union".

EU can be anything we imagine it to be. The issue is the political will and the pushback against it. So it is very unlikely to happen. UK leaving is not enough. There will be significant opposition to this.
By Atlantis
Patrickov wrote:In the very least, those critics should ensure those enablers "be punished for making others suffer".

Can't do that. We are in a democracy. You sure, you still want democracy? :eh:
By Ter
JohnRawls wrote:EU can be anything we imagine it to be. The issue is the political will and the pushback against it. So it is very unlikely to happen. UK leaving is not enough. There will be significant opposition to this.

There is also a lot of opposition against the present EU policies.
The free movement of people and the massive Muslim immigration is making many people very unhappy. I do not see how this can be solved unless draconian measures will e taken.
There is a lot of anti-EU sentiment in a number of countries and if you want the EU project to continue you better do something about those problems.
By JohnRawls
Ter wrote:There is also a lot of opposition against the present EU policies.
The free movement of people and the massive Muslim immigration is making many people very unhappy. I do not see how this can be solved unless draconian measures will e taken.
There is a lot of anti-EU sentiment in a number of countries and if you want the EU project to continue you better do something about those problems.

Well it depends. It is hard to blame the EU for the immigration issues outside of the EU fully. I am not saying it is not a problem but the EU itself is mishandling it. (solution for quota distribution is not workable) In reality most of the issue comes here from countries individual policies and not the EU. Some countries want to accept them and some countries do not want to accept any but once they are within the EU it is hard to do anything. It is complicated.

As i said before we need reform in this regard but the EU itself is limited at what it can do because ultimately it comes down to individual countries. Perhaps it can enforce deportation rules of sorts but then again, how to do it? The problem that everyone runs in here is that when we start deporting then their home countries do not accept them back or countries where they came from do not accept them back.

Enforcing the borders is an interesting subject because that would put the border countries at odds with places like Germany, Benelux and northern Europe which are usually pro-immigration. But ultimately i think Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal and France should have the decisive vote here on what to do and rest of Europe who is less affected by this should accept their decision. If Germany or Sweden wants immigrants then they can create some kind of shuttle service from the border for themselves. :hmm:
By late
SolarCross wrote:
Happy Brexit Day! One day we will celebrate this day like the yanks celebrate 4th July.

Never heard of anyone celebrating Russian roulette after they lost..
By SolarCross
late wrote:Never heard of anyone celebrating Russian roulette after they lost..

What does that have to do with anything? :?:
By late
SolarCross wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? :?:

You'll see.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
What will I see? :?:

Your economy will get kicked in the nuts by Godzilla. You will have strong independence movements in Scotland and Ireland, and I doubt they will take no for a answer.

Finance was one of the bright spots in the Brit economy, and losing the bennies of the EU should throw a wet blanket on them. Expect a drop in the sales of bespoke clothing 8) (IOW, the Brits have a lot of small businesses, and certain segments of that part of the economy will get absolutely hammered)

Good luck, you're gonna need it.
By SolarCross
late wrote:Your economy will get kicked in the nuts by Godzilla. You will have strong independence movements in Scotland and Ireland, and I doubt they will take no for a answer.

Finance was one of the bright spots in the Brit economy, and losing the bennies of the EU should throw a wet blanket on them. Expect a drop is the sales of bespoke clothing 8)

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Your wish list will not happen just by furious tweeting alone. You need to go out there, paint your face blue and physically start attacking Redcoats (please).

By late
SolarCross wrote:
Your wish list will not happen just by furious tweeting alone. You need to go out there, paint your face blue and physically start attacking Redcoats (please).

I have never tweeted, and I never will.

Boris will have other things on his mind, my dear boy.
By SolarCross
late wrote:I have never tweeted, and I never will.

Boris will have other things on his mind, my dear boy.

You post here, same difference. Social media is not real life.

All of your hopes have been dashed and all your predictions (wishful thinking) have failed to come to pass. Yet still you keep making your idle threats to the internet as if it makes any difference, but reality marches on utterly impervious and oblivious to your petty desires.

Be the change you want to see or shut up.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
You post here, same difference. Social media is not real life.

All of your hopes have been dashed and all your predictions (wishful thinking) have failed to come to pass. Yet still you keep making your idle threats to the internet as if it makes any difference, but reality marches on utterly impervious and oblivious to your petty desires.

Unless you want to count this place as social media, I don't do any of it. Even if you do, you are implying I get my knowledge from it, instead of Brit economists and such.

Brexit hasn't happened, so the change hasn't started. Reality marches on, indeed.
By SolarCross
late wrote:Unless you want to count this place as social media, I don't do any of it. Even if you do, you are implying I get my knowledge from it, instead of Brit economists and such.

Brexit hasn't happened, so the change hasn't started. Reality marches on, indeed.

I do count it as social media; it's a BB board or forum which are just old school social media before tech giants made chatting on the internet cool and mainstream.
By JohnRawls
SolarCross wrote:I do count it as social media; it's a BB board or forum which are just old school social media before tech giants made chatting on the internet cool and mainstream.

Do you really think the EU will not bully UK in to submission when EUs 3-5% of trade is at stake while its 40-50% of UKs? You do not need to be a genius to understand who has the leverage here to sign a better trade deal.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
I do count it as social media; it's a BB board or forum which are just old school social media before tech giants made chatting on the internet cool and mainstream.

I can live with that.

The implication that I get much information here is absurd. I might talk more later. Got stuff to do.
By SolarCross
JohnRawls wrote:Do you really think the EU will not bully UK in to submission when EUs 3-5% of trade is at stake while its 40-50% of UKs? You do not need to be a genius to understand who has the leverage here to sign a better trade deal.

Bully how? If they do not want to trade then fuck 'em. The EU is not the whole world.

If the eurocrats were actually as retarded as remoaners want them to be then that is all the more reason not to be taking orders from them.
By Nonsense
I watched some of the BREXIT E.U debate this afternoon from the E.U Parliament, I have to say that, considering the roasting that the pro-E.U M.E.P's parties, with their former MP's received at the general election, proved to me, that their contempt for democracy knows no bounds.

It is fitting therefore, that they will resume their anonymity from tomorrow onwards, devoid of a platform in which to spout their contemptuous waffle.

The most dignified, sensible statement was by a Conservative MP, much the most reasonable voice to be heard in the debate, contrasted by stupid head-in-the-cloud dreamers, whose lifestyle on the euro gravy train, about to be derailed, or the vociferous E.U die- hard M.E.P's, seeking vengeance against the U.K in the coming trade talks, drowned out those on both sides that were expressing a much more rational line.

For those who hanker, or expect 'celebrations' at 23.00 hours GMT, simply do not understand British attitudes, because, traditionally, we are not a loud people, we are more reserved by nature & tomorrow will be just another day in which to get on with our lives.

We will not accept a general 'level' playing field in the eventual deal, neither will we allow any deal to be subject to ECJ determination, we will not accept 'free movement', for which Kier STARMER is hankering after.
Nor will any part of it be political, because leaving entailed not being involved politically, consequently, any deal, despite hard line Europhile positioning, will either result in unfettered access to the single market, or, more likely, be a limited access, with increasing divergence on that playing field.

We will not cede any sovereignty(power) to the E.U, either a mutually beneficial deal without strings attached will be struck, or, a WTO + deal, with no tariffs or quotas will possibly happen & being a 'third country' means that we do not have to accept being second fiddle to the E.U.

To say that a completed deal cannot be reached by 31 December is just more backsliding by the E.U, if the U.K says that it can reach a deal by then, it's also reasonable to think that 26 countries can collectively up their game in meeting that deadline.

If Europe continues it's snails progress to becoming a federal state, it will eventually result in other countries following the U.K, the E.U efforts to punish the U.K over trade will fail & be self-inflicted masochism on their part.

In my opinion, Europe must unravel the Maastricht treaty onwards, by resetting it's objectives to what the original Treaty of Rome envisaged & creating a tiered level of membership.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 , if someone enters your house withou[…]

Considering you have the intelligence of an oyste[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable just[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]