EU-BREXIT - Page 21 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Seeker8
Of course it's a good idea, we should be on our own as part of the E.U. England and Wales can have their hard Brexit. The U.K is finished now but it's just going to drag on.

I don't know if people realize this but most Scottish people voted for independence. It was others who live in Scotland that turned the vote. Unlike the brexit vote where Europeans in Britain couldn't vote, EU citizens obviously voted for the option that would keep them in EU, which will be the opposite next time.

On N.Ireland, the UK government seem like they're in a no win situation. If they sacrifice N.Ireland for Brexit, there will be some very pissed off protestant terrorist groups. Could they take it out on the tories? I Hope so. :lol:
By Beren
Seeker8 wrote:On N.Ireland, the UK government seem like they're in a no win situation. If they sacrifice N.Ireland for Brexit, there will be some very pissed off protestant terrorist groups. Could they take it out on the tories? I Hope so. :lol:

The Tories could be a perfect opposition party right now as they could oppose anything a Labour government would do Brexit-wise. They'd be most effective if Labour went middle way, which they would most likely do.
By Philby
I think Corbyn (Labour) has made things even more complicated today....

When o when does the united kingdom (?) come with a coherently proposal?
By Seeker8
Yeah labor seem to be full of shit. They are claiming a customs union will solve the N.I border issue, but i'm pretty sure we need to be in the single market too.
They are trying to trick people because they can't keep both sides of brexit happy.

I think i prefer the tories stay in power and take the full blame for fucking the country up.
By Potemkin
Seeker8 wrote:Yeah labor seem to be full of shit. They are claiming a customs union will solve the N.I border issue, but i'm pretty sure we need to be in the single market too.
They are trying to trick people because they can't keep both sides of brexit happy.

I think i prefer the tories stay in power and take the full blame for fucking the country up.

Indeed. But the Tories have a track record of fucking the country up, spending a decade or so in the doghouse, and then coming back as strong as ever, ready for their next colossal fuckup. The British electorate seem to have a short attention span. :hmm:
By Seeker8
The British electorate seem to have a short attention span

You could narrow that to England. The Tory vote in Scotland has continued to decrease since Thatcher. If you want rid of the Tories you know what we need to do.

By Patrickov
Potemkin wrote:Indeed. But the Tories have a track record of fucking the country up, spending a decade or so in the doghouse, and then coming back as strong as ever, ready for their next colossal fuckup. The British electorate seem to have a short attention span. :hmm:

I tend to believe that fuck-up actually benefits those electorates, or they just distrust the Labour (or any other parties) more because they think the alternatives are too radical to them.
By Beren
Seeker8 wrote:I think i prefer the tories stay in power and take the full blame for fucking the country up.

It will be Labour taking the blame for not fucking up the country otherwise. :lol:
By Decky
Why are people discounting independence for/from the Taffs? I think they deserve it. God knows the English do...
By Heisenberg
Time to bring the Free Wales Army out of retirement, I think.

Fe Godwn Ni Eto! :excited:
Last edited by Heisenberg on 27 Feb 2018 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
By Decky
For all your many flaws I respect you for doing so well with the language, there are fewer Irish speakers today than there were in 1916. :knife: Then again with Welsh worlds like tacsi for taxi and promanade for promenade maybe it isn't so hard. ;)
By Heisenberg
Ah, yes, the wonderful English word promenade. From the French... erm... promenade. You twpsyn. :lol:

"Cwrs golff" for golf course is my favourite.
By Decky
The Irish for escalator is staighre beo (living stairs). That sort of thing is much better than just taking straight from English.

The problem with the French is that they have no world for entrepreneur.
By Heisenberg
Incidentally, escalator in Welsh is grisiau symudol, which means "mobile staircase".
By Decky
That is very dull and simple (just like the Welsh). :D
By Heisenberg
I'm half-Welsh, yes.

And articles like that one leave me cold. "EU cash" (who funds the EU?) has done fuck all to improve Wales in the areas it really needs improving: sustainable jobs and long-term investment. It is a convenient excuse for politicians (and sneering Guardian columnists) in London to ignore the poorer parts of their own country, though. How progressive. :lol:
By Beren
Heisenberg wrote:I'm half-Welsh, yes.

So you're still not the real thing, huh? :lol:

Heisenberg wrote:And articles like that one leave me cold.

I know they do, I just linked it to show what I mean by "It would explain a lot."
By JohnRawls
Heisenberg wrote:I'm half-Welsh, yes.

And articles like that one leave me cold. "EU cash" (who funds the EU?) has done fuck all to improve Wales in the areas it really needs improving: sustainable jobs and long-term investment. It is a convenient excuse for politicians (and sneering Guardian columnists) in London to ignore the poorer parts of their own country, though. How progressive. :lol:

I mean, how is the EU responsible for that? We shower money at underdeveloped regions which is apparently what we are doing to some parts of Wales but how it is spent is up to your government/locals. Also we can't really make jobs for you because the EU is not a private company and there is limits and a lot of them to what the EU itself can do as an entity regarding this.
By Heisenberg
Beren wrote:I know they do, I just linked it to show what I mean by "It would explain a lot."

It doesn't really "explain" anything though, nor does it attempt to "explain". They found some kid who probably doesn't have a hell of a lot of opportunity in life and sneered at him. All the while failing to understand that if they'd bothered to pay attention to people like him in the months leading up to the referendum, they might have got a different outcome.

JohnRawls wrote:I mean, how is the EU responsible for that? We shower money at underdeveloped regions which is apparently what we are doing to some parts of Wales but how it is spent is up to your government/locals. Also we can't really make jobs for you because the EU is not a private company and there is limits and a lot of them to what the EU itself can do as an entity regarding this.

I should clarify that my ire here is not actually directed at the EU, or Europeans. I'm not asking the EU to provide jobs for people. I very specifically want the UK government, and London-dwelling right-on liberal columnists, to stop ignoring their own population.

My whole point is that the "EU funding" argument is a red herring. First, EU funding doesn't come from nowhere: it originates from the member states.

And second, the implication in most of these discussions is that Welsh people - or northern English people - are scrounging layabouts who need to be kept afloat with handouts and will never amount to anything. If that's what passes for "progressive", then count me out.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]