EU-BREXIT - Page 206 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:personally, speaking as a remainer, I rejected the result because it was based on lies and disinformation.

All elections are based on lies/disinformation, you anti-democratic noob. :D

But agreed, there appeared to be a lot of scare-stories during this election, particularly from the establishment / remainers who were/are still suggesting the sky would fall when we exit the corrupt, neoliberal shitfest that is the EU.

I am sick to death of this issue.

Still, if another vote takes place hopefully there'll be more media promoting the leftwing arguments for exiting this time. I've seen some chatter for months about people who voted to remain saying they'd vote leave to respect the original result, I guess they're the types that might be referred to as 'democratic'. :hmm:
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:Sure. Hence the confirmation vote. :roll:

Sure, the confirmatory vote was held on 23 June 2016, get over it. :lol: :lol:
By Nonsense
noemon wrote:That is wishful thinking akin to someone believing that if he abandons his car in the middle of the road that magically his car loan goes away when in fact he gets a fine and parking charges on top of the loan and the interest. As everyone in Europe said, if the UK fails to pay it will be a registered credit default regardless of deal or not. The question is do you actually believe these nonsense or are you just saying it?

You will notice, won't you?...that I did say,"through the W.A", meaning that some money, but just not the £39 Billion & I can see that figure was just plucked out of the air with nothing supporting it.
By B0ycey
Nonsense wrote:Sure, the confirmatory vote was held on 23 June 2016, get over it. :lol: :lol:

Without a manifesto there is no obligation in the referendum anyway. Even if I accept that the referendum wasn't advisory (which it is), it just says we must leave the EU. Not how or when. Perhaps we should wait until we get this deal we were promised before we leave right?
By noemon
Nonsense wrote:You will notice, won't you?...that I did say,"through the W.A", meaning that some money, but just not the £39 Billion & I can see that figure was just plucked out of the air with nothing supporting it.

It does not matter if it’s deal or no deal or W.A. The UK owes these money to the EU and believing that credit will go away is what is wishful thinking. Calling the number illegitimate when it has been accounted for by the British government and the EU is quite ridiculous but mainly irrelevant because regardless what you think, it is what it is.
By Nonsense
noemon wrote:It does not matter if it’s deal or no deal or W.A. The UK owes these money to the EU and believing that credit will go away is what is wishful thinking. Calling the number illegitimate when it has been accounted for by the British government and the EU is quite ridiculous but mainly irrelevant because regardless what you think, it is what it is.

It hasn't been 'accounted' for, it has been agreed vis-a-viz the W.A, which hasn't been ratified by parliament,which has not scrutinised that figure.

We can, at this point, leave without a W.A, although that would mean possible legal action on some of that money, but,the U.K will settle on the items that is has participated in for a very long period.
As members of the public are liable for any agreed amount, it would be right & proper for detailed liabilities to be published for our own scrutiny.

My own concern is related to the numbers of E.U citizens in the U.K & vice versa.

The ratio is some 3:1 in our favour, yet potential long term liabilities appear, on balance, to favour the E.U & just remember that the figures are net liabilities.

With three times the number of E.U citizens in the U.K than the other way around, the figure quoted seems gross in the extreme & deeply suspicious.
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:Without a manifesto there is no obligation in the referendum anyway. Even if I accept that the referendum wasn't advisory (which it is), it just says we must leave the EU. Not how or when. Perhaps we should wait until we get this deal we were promised before we leave right?

I agree that in this country, referendums are 'advisory', that doesn't alter the fact that the two main political party manifesto's are in agreement, to honour the referendum results, as you put it, to leave.

They have instigated that implementation, but not completed it, by A50.

You are correct about the 'how or when', to a point, that point was stretched to the umpteenth degree when A50 was extended, because that extension is about 'kcking-the-can(leave)-down-the-road' in the mistaken belief that the remain parliament could frustrate that implementation, deal or no deal.

It is mistaken, because Treaties are a matter of inter-government, recognised in international law, they are not subject matters of a parliament, it therefore means that the 'no deal' ammendment in parliament is not law, because the Treaty as changed is not legally recognised, because it(W.A)is not ratified by parliament itself & therefore the status quo anti 'no deal' is the default legal avenue of exit from the E.U. as per A50.

Gina MILLER is set to challenge BoJo in the High Court over any attempt to invoke a suspension of parliament, that action will fail because her action is instigated on what she believes are BoJo's intentions when he is elected as leader of the Tory Party & replaces Theresa MAY in her capacity as the next P.M.

It is not within the power of any court in the land to make any pre-emptive judgement on any issue before it, based on a complaint about any future action that is not subjected to the law, but which may be considered proper for parliament to do so when it is in session.

It is for a Minister to make or take such decisions as may be within there power to do so, for which they are then held to account for by parliament, a situation, following on from, which may result in the calling of a general election.

In that scenario, BoJo could easily win an election based on, 'who governs' the country, the courts, rich business people, disenchanted politicians, or the people's government, elected by them.

It is a fact, that since 1972, that whilst statutes have imposed parliamentary controls over the exercise of prerogative powers in relation to E.U Treaties, they have not touched upon the prerogative powers to withdraw from them & as long as ministers are acting within legislation or common law, as defined by the courts, they are doing nothing illegal, neither are they acting outside of the law by creating or changing existing law & everything being done is consistent with A50 so far..

The excuses made by Labour or the Lib Dems about the economic effects on jobs, standards etc, are political chestnuts, they are separate issues to be dealt with of their own accord as, if, or when they happen, according to project fear.

The case of the backstop with Ireland is another such chestnut, in terms of documentation relating to goods in transit, along with customs, are non-issues in the business sense, as such things are routine in commercial life.

It is purely for political reasons that the border is being exploited, no other reason at all, because as I have stated, business handles border issues everyday on routine trouble free basis, such 'obstacles' as there may be are raised intentionally.

Getting a 'deal' is empty rhetoric, neither the E.U or Jeremy HUNT would agree to such a 'deal' because the E.U have already stated that the W.A is closed through existing 'agreement'.

The last point is the crux of the matter, the fault of Theresa MAY, who signed on the dotted line to the W.A, for which she was entitled to do so, which she did, knowing that it would be refuted by parliament & being a 'remainer', it suited her to a 'T'.

That she was able to thwart the referendum result by signing that 'deal', exposes that convention as an exercise in undemocratic behaviour that should be changed, so that in future any P.M cannot sign Treaties before parliament has indicated that a P.M can do so.
By snapdragon
skinster wrote:All elections are based on lies/disinformation, you anti-democratic noob. :D

Nothing like as bad as the industrial strength lies leave told. Nothing is going to affect our lives as much as leaving the EU.

Even Boris Johnson will be gone in a few years.

But agreed, there appeared to be a lot of scare-stories during this election, particularly from the establishment / remainers who were/are still suggesting the sky would fall when we exit the corrupt, neoliberal shitfest that is the EU.

I am sick to death of this issue.

It'll be pretty terrible, skinster. Unless we leave with the kind of deal nobody wants.

Which is more or less staying in the EU without having any say.

Still, if another vote takes place hopefully there'll be more media promoting the leftwing arguments for exiting this time. I've seen some chatter for months about people who voted to remain saying they'd vote leave to respect the original result, I guess they're the types that might be referred to as 'democratic'. :hmm:

The left wing argument for leaving the EU doesn't add up.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/i ... 1517301904

No argument for leaving the EU adds up for most of us, whether left or right wing.
By Kaiserschmarrn
skinster wrote:I am sick to death of this issue.

Couldn't agree more.

If Britain hasn't left by October, I'll be happily cheering on the demise of the Tories.
By JohnRawls
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Couldn't agree more.

If Britain hasn't left by October, I'll be happily cheering on the demise of the Tories.

Define "leave". The problem with leaving the EU is that the UK can't make up their mind what "Leave" actually means. And also nobody wants to support 1 leave plan in mass.
By Kaiserschmarrn
JohnRawls wrote:Define "leave". The problem with leaving the EU is that the UK can't make up their mind what "Leave" actually means. And also nobody wants to support 1 leave plan in mass.

The problem is that the majority of the UK establishment doesn't want to leave. At this point it's not entirely clear how much the UK government and civil service has contributed to construing the Irish border as the defining issue to which everything else must be subordinated, but it might well be to a significant degree.

As far as I'm concerned, EEA membership and anything looser means leaving.
By JohnRawls
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The problem is that the majority of the UK establishment doesn't want to leave. At this point it's not entirely clear how much the UK government and civil service has contributed to construing the Irish border as the defining issue to which everything else must be subordinated, but it might well be to a significant degree.

But EEA basically continues the free movement of people and puts UK under EU regulations and trade treaties. This also will put UK more or less under ECJ/EU courts when it comes to trade agreements and regulations.
By Kaiserschmarrn
JohnRawls wrote:But EEA basically continues the free movement of people and puts UK under EU regulations and trade treaties. This also will put UK more or less under ECJ/EU courts when it comes to trade agreements and regulations.

I'm not saying it would live up to the Tory manifesto, or that it is even a likely option, I'm just "defining leave" as requested. EEA membership would mean that the UK had left the EU.
By snapdragon
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The problem is that the majority of the UK establishment doesn't want to leave. At this point it's not entirely clear how much the UK government and civil service has contributed to construing the Irish border as the defining issue to which everything else must be subordinated, but it might well be to a significant degree.

In what way is the Good Friday Agreement not of vital importance?

It;s really not that easy.
By layman
Papers are claiming Boris will call a general election while labour are weak and divided.

Thus makes sense except he wants to do it post brexit, next summer. What doesn’t add up is how he plans to deliver brexit with a thin majority which predicted to get thinner or maybe even go due to upcoming by elections.

He has boxed himself into a hard brexit corner. No way he can back track since all his eggs are in that basket. Maybe he doesn’t realise those “hard to reach” liberal voters he used to appeal to are long gone.

I think he is doomed. He will try to do what may briefly attempted and make speeches about parliament betraying the people. It won’t work though because the brexiteers won’t accept excuses.

Ps the left wing brexiteers are just as moronic being “bored” and wanting to get on to other issues. Leaving, especially hard, is not the end of it. There will be a decade of huge costs in money and time which will also “bore” via the media anyway. There is no way to make this go away but cancelling is the closest.
By snapdragon
Boris's original plan was to use the fact Britain had failed to vote to leave, despite all his efforts, and then become PM on a wave of popularity. I can still remember his white face and look of horror the day after the result. It all went wrong.
It seems his plan B is now to make enough outrageous statements on what he intends to do, in order to get A50 revoked, and then , as you say, layman, bewail Parliament tying his hands etc. and win the next election.

Prorogue Parliament, my arse. As if.
By Kaiserschmarrn
snapdragon wrote:In what way is the Good Friday Agreement not of vital importance?

In the way that it requires a frictionless border.

snapdragon wrote:It;s really not that easy.

This was in response to a question asking for a definition of leave. I just clarified my view on what would constitute leaving the EU.
By snapdragon
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:In the way that it requires a frictionless border.

Which makes it very important, surely?

This was in response to a question asking for a definition of leave. I just clarified my view on what would constitute leaving the EU.

But you seemed to think its importance is exaggerated by civil servants in order to foil Brexit.
By Kaiserschmarrn
snapdragon wrote:Which makes it very important, surely?

But you seemed to think its importance is exaggerated by civil servants in order to foil Brexit.

These responses make no sense.
By snapdragon
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:These responses make no sense.

I was replying to this:

At this point it's not entirely clear how much the UK government and civil service has contributed to construing the Irish border as the defining issue to which everything else must be subordinated, but it might well be to a significant degree.

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]

He's a parasite

The Truth Social platform seems to have very littl[…]

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]