EU-BREXIT - Page 40 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By SolarCross
anarchist23 wrote:It's obvious after the vote supporting Brexit that the EU will make an example of the UK. The EU wants to send the message to the member states saying that if any of you are thinking of leaving then just look at the mess the UK has got itself into.
A second referendum is the only solution for Britain.

You want to surrender? :roll: What are you French? Get some backbone lad.
By anarchist23
SolarCross wrote:You want to surrender? :roll: What are you French? Get some backbone lad.

Just being a realist. The divorce bill will cost every UK worker 1300 pounds for starters.
By B0ycey
anarchist23 wrote:Just being a realist. The divorce bill will cost every UK worker 1300 pounds for starters.

...so it will cost you nothing. :lol:
By anarchist23
It will cost my kids and grandchildren something not just with the divorce bill but as inflation goes through the roof.
The value of the pound has fallen today as well.

How much the Pound has fallen by depends on which currency you're comparing it to. The pound has fallen 12% against the Euro compared to what it was just before the EU referendum and about ...
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:Which makes his concerns even more honest. :)

Perhaps the UK is pampered. He is worried about his benefits. But his house isn't collapsing and food will still be farmed. Only inflation and his luxuries are on the line.

But these things are needed in order for people to understand what Europe offers. Maybe Anarchist now knows the truth. But parliament is in denile. So let a new Party with new ideas come forward. One that isn't.
By anarchist23
B0ycey wrote:

Perhaps the UK is pampered. He is worried about his benefits. But his house isn't collapsing and food will still be farmed. Only inflation and his luxuries are on the line.

But these things are needed in order for people to understand what Europe offers. Maybe Anarchist now knows the truth. But parliament is in denile. So let a new Party with new ideas come forward. One that isn't.

I am a pensioner.
I've paid my national insurance contributions and I have a legal right to a pension.
My pension will rise with inflation.
By B0ycey
anarchist23 wrote:I am a pensioner.
I've paid my national insurance contributions and I have a legal right to a pension.
My pension will rise with inflation.

Yes, filling in the UB40 is one way to contribute to your national insurance I guess. :lol:

The triple lock will be one of the first things to go under times of need. The penison is a big fat cash burden that needs milking too. It will get milked. Irony as pensioners voted for Brexit actually.
By anarchist23
You don't know what your talking about, UB40 was last used over twenty years ago.

:lol:
By layman
Not sure about pensions being the first to go.... at least not current voters ones.

I had wondered if mays suggestion of all uk in customs union backstop was in fact a way for her to get a soft brexit by stealth. The eu were having none of it though.

It’s quite hard to predict from here. A hard brexit crash out is going to mean a hard border anyway and real problems for the Irish economy. Pressure is at some point going to be put on from that side of the fence too.

It’s hard to see what the eu can realistically offer though? They seem to want to give may face saving mini concessions but what is there ... I think Canada plus in return for cash seems odds favourite.
By anarchist23
Theresa May relies on the DUP for a Tory majority and therefore she is at the beck and call of the of the unionists.
By B0ycey
anarchist23 wrote:You don't know what your talking about, UB40 was last used over twenty years ago.

:lol:

So you're under twenty claiming a pension? :lol:

Perhaps I should have said that your were worried about your benefit fraud.

But sure, your JSA is one way to claim your NI.

And @layman, yes pensions will be hit first. It is a cash cow. The only reason it hasn't yet is because there is no need to. But no government is going to have anarchy in the streets due to living conditions while pensioners sit on a pile of money. Isn't going to happen.
By Decky
The remainers really don't get it do they? They have lost, the chequers deal (remaining in the EU in all but name) is dead. Your plot has failed, we don't want a Norway, deal (serfdom to Germany). We want to be a normal independent nation, what is so strange about that? If the rest of Europe are content to be slaves to the Hun that is their choice. We will not be ruled from the Reichstag any longer.
By anarchist23
anarchist23 wrote:Theresa May relies on the DUP for a Tory majority and therefore she is at the beck and call of the of the unionists.

DUP is not calling for a hard Brexit and is against any physical infrastructure on the border.

[center-img]http://i64.tinypic.com/2elbmol.jpg[/center-img]
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:Yes, filling in the UB40 is one way to contribute to your national insurance I guess. :lol:

The triple lock will be one of the first things to go under times of need. The penison is a big fat cash burden that needs milking too. It will get milked. Irony as pensioners voted for Brexit actually.

It's clear from your post that you know little about the state pension.

If you, like myself, well into my 70's, have experienced George OSBORNE's budgets since 2010, you wouldn't be quite so loud in your protestations about the state pension, particularly for recipients of the 'Old' Basic State Pension.

Research it, then see if you could actually survive on it, because it is less than Pension Credit or the 'New' Basic State Pension...YET!!!..people like myself have to pay current prices for everything with a lower 'Old' state pension, which is DISCRIMINATION & NOT A SQUEAK FROM THE LEFT ABOUT IT.

So, I guess the people on the 'Left' are empty vessels when it comes to prejudice & hatred of the elderly.
What goes around comes around, because even the 'New' BSP will be worthless in years to come.

Just enjoy the soup kitchens when YOU retire, because people of my age have worked all their lives & contrary to CAMERON's manifesto commitments to the elderly apply ONLY to rich-better-off pensioners.

By all means generalise, but, just remember when you do that 40% of state pensioners are living under this government on incomes in the BOTTOM TWO QUINTILE INCOME GROUPS.

They have worked all their lives, paid for their pensions, which are NOT 'benefits' but 'entitlements' that have been paid for, bought with real money, deflated over time by inflation generating government policies & ONLY partially compensated for at the CPI rate of inflation.

They say that, " Ignorance is bliss", but 'education' is an eye-opener.

One of my sons, a high level civil servant is expecting to retire in less than ten years time on a pension of £48K a year, lives in a very expensive house, but is totally unaware of the increased tax burden that will befall him by time he does retire.

He thinks that he will enjoy a reasonable lifestyle on that pension, I hate to disappoint him, because when I retired, I too thought such things, until Osborne 'illegally' froze my civil service pension for 3 years, devaluing it by almost 20%, since when it has lost almost as much again.
By B0ycey
You get me wrong @Nonsense. I am not against the state pension. But I am not in fantasy about it either. It is a cash burden. The elderly also voted for Brexit. If you think the government is going to slash more public spending before pension reform you are in fantasy. It hasn't been touched due to votes. But economic survival and vital national services will outweight even that if it prevents society turning into anarchy.
By anarchist23
anarchist23 wrote:The value of the pound has fallen today as well.

The pound's fall against the dollar and the euro has deepened following Theresa May's assertion after an EU summit that "no deal is better than a bad deal".
Sterling was already trading lower after had EU leaders warned the UK must make compromises on trade and the Irish border to secure a Brexit trade deal.
After the Prime Minister said the UK and EU were at an "impasse" the pound fell further.
The pound dropped from 1% to 1.5% lower against the dollar to $1.3068.
The sharp fall put it on track for its biggest daily drop against the dollar so far this year.
Against the euro, the pound was down 1.1% at €1.1144 after Mrs May's statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45604230
By Nonsense
layman wrote:Not sure about pensions being the first to go.... at least not current voters ones.

It’s hard to see what the eu can realistically offer though? They seem to want to give may face saving mini concessions but what is there ... I think Canada plus in return for cash seems odds favourite.

NONSENSE - Any so-called 'Deal' is ONLY worth it, 'IF' financially, the benefits exceed the £39 BILLION divorce settlement, which they won't.

Tariffs of 20% will be there, because, as it stands, V.A.T collection agreements have not been made, though I can see not difficulty in making satisfactory arrangements there, excepting Irish realities in tax avoidance(think 'Green' Diesel).

For the longer term ,it's probably worth a little pain now by foregoing a 'deal', in order that the freedom & opportunities that will arise happen without encumbrances by the E.U.

We can be mutually positive towards each other(E.U-U.K),or we can be negative to each other, by having tariffs, there is no reason, other than ideological ones to have them, save the very existence of the E.U depends on having customs to extract a net gain from it's trading.
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:You get me wrong @Nonsense. I am not against the state pension. But I am not in fantasy about it either. It is a cash burden. The elderly also voted for Brexit. If you think the government is going to slash more public spending before pension reform you are in fantasy. It hasn't been touched due to votes. But economic survival and vital national services will outweight even that if it prevents society turning into anarchy.

NONSENSE- What you fail to understand is that there are 'obligations' by government to pensioners through the arrangements of funding the Basic State Pension since it began over 100 years ago.
Those obligations arise, because current workers fund the retired, as with past, present & future generations.

If you are suggesting that arrangement needs tearing up, then it is patently obvious that it's state theft to either continue taking pension contributions from current-future workers, or, to pay compensation-for-inflation to current pensioners, at a rate that is less than the RPI.

The TORIES are already pulling the wool over the younger working generations through the auto-enrolment scheme in place.
The young are naïve about politics, you only get properly 'educated' with experience gained through aging, a luxury the elderly do not share equally with the young.

You are wrong(IMHO)to believe that public spending cannot be cut further before pensions, but, consider the £40 BILLION a year in taxes foregone, in order that the rich-better off, can stuff their pension funds with poorer taxpayers funding their reliefs, that's where the cuts should be made & some of it used to equalise the 'Old'-'New' Basic State Pension levels.

The level of the nations debt will spiral with no deal, because of the sheer numbers of additional people here from Europe,
(over 3 million) who will be potentially paid benefits when the economy goes tits up, that's where Theresa MAY made another gaffe today.

She is a performing liability, the cost to the country of her being in Downing Street is unsustainable, she has to go, if she doesn't, the Tory Party will.
By Decky
They have worked all their lives, paid for their pensions, which are NOT 'benefits' but 'entitlements' that have been paid for, bought with real money, deflated over time by inflation generating government policies & ONLY partially compensated for at the CPI rate of inflation.

How is that different to any other benefit? :?: You pay income tax and national insurance every week (or at least I do, I know the rich have accountants to avoid paying tax) so the dole is there if you loose you job, ditto for housing benefit, the NHS and everything else.

Why is it pensioners think pensions are somehow magically different to everything else? Either you believe workers have already earned their benefits as they pay for them every single week (the correct answer) or you believe that workers should pay tax and national insurance but get jack shit back (the Tory answer).

What you can't do is cherry pick and decide pensions are magically different to everything else for no reason whatsoever. :roll:

Edit: Also

Brexit will be a glorious success, there are plenty of other countries out there.

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]