EU-BREXIT - Page 27 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:So you didn't vote I guess.

He didn't vote for Remain Beren. He has stated this numerous times. So he is just the same as the idiots that he enjoys to highlight so mightly on here.

As for the economy, I think a major recession will be a good thing for the UK. It will weaken them to their correct place in the world. The same as most nations on the planet. Today the UK is so fortunate to be able to afford luxuries, that most of the nation doesn't even know what surviving on the breadline or true hardship is - including the so called UK poor. An arrogance has fallen this island that they are better than everyone else in this world, but they have yet to fully understand that it is the capitalist system that favours them in this rat race of true inequality today. A system that will break due to Brexit and global protectionism in a few years time I'm sure. Perhaps a reality check might bring the importance of a united Europe home in a few decades time. I can only hope. That is if the rest of Europe will let us back in of course.
By Rugoz
Potemkin wrote:Lol. I would go in the opposite direction. Direct democracy, and the right of recall of all elected officials. Basically, I agree with Lenin's position as outlined in State and Revolution.

People are notoriously conservative, you wouldn't like it, and neither would have Lenin. As you probably know Lenin lived ~3 years in Switzerland (1914-1917), where he had contact with a few Swiss social democrats (in his eyes "peace-loving opportunists with constitutional-democratic illusions"). He once called Switzerland "the most revolutionary state in the world" because men had their military-issued rifles at home and asked how many union members were among them, but he wasn't fond of direct democratic rule: "The majority is stupid, we cannot wait for them. The minority must act, then it becomes the majority." (source in German).
By Albert
Potemkin wrote:Everything except direct democracy is 'guided' democracy. The American Founding Fathers had only bad things to say about democracy, and they deliberately established their new nation as a representative republic rather than a democracy.
Well yes, but I believe that there was no intention for the peoples' representatives to use their power to suppress any other representation to rise. As we can see with populist parties right now. For example in UK BNP was ripped to shreds by the establishment.

As one of Nicholas II's top officials once said, "it is a terrible thing to have an autocracy without an autocrat." Lol. The Soviet system, ultimately, kept the autocracy (in a modernised form appropriate for an industrial rather than an agrarian society), and made sure there was a competent and ruthless autocrat in charge of it. So long as Stalin was alive that system worked spectacularly well, but started to slowly fall apart after his death. Putin re-established the autocracy once more, with himself in the position of competent autocrat. However, it is unlikely to survive him.
It is either you have little regard of Russia or too much of Putin.

Stalin was a competent ruler, better then Hitler as WWII and battle of Stalingrad had shown. Yet he was a brute radicalized by communism.
By Atlantis
Potemkin wrote:The Brexit referendum was a serious strategic error on the part of the British ruling class.

It's what happens when politicians start to play with populism.

Unless you want mob rule, politicians also have the responsibility to form political opinion and not just run after the polls. That's the role of political parties. If it weren't for that, we could just have individual politicians without party affiliations running for office. Different parties offer the public different programmatic options.

That's not "guided democracy" in the Russian sense. It's not autocratic rule. By calling everything guided democracy except direct democracy, you are muddying the water.

So long as Stalin was alive that system worked spectacularly well,

Worked spectacularly well for what? To keep Stalin in power?

A system whose primary function is to keep the tyrant in power is not a good system. A good system is one that brings welfare to the people.
By Decky
Atlantis wrote:Worked spectacularly well for what? To keep Stalin in power?

A system whose primary function is to keep the tyrant in power is not a good system. A good system is one that brings welfare to the people.

It worked very well to save Europe from your lot eh?

The working class beat the EU in 1918 and in 1945 and we will beat you again. When this is all over the EU will be just another failed Reich and Germany will lie prostrate before its enemies once again.
By Albert
Decky wrote:It worked very well to save Europe from your lot eh?

The working class beat the EU in 1918 and in 1945 and we will beat you again. When this is all over the EU will be just another failed Reich and Germany will lie prostrate before its enemies once again.
Would you stop ethnic cherry picking everyone and just relax.
By Decky
Maybe you don't understand as traitor who left his country to go to Canada but those of us living under the 4th Reich right now want the Germans to leave us alone abandon their empire building and leave their lust for European dominance in the past. The EU needs to fall, by the bullet or by the ballot box.

By Albert
Decky wrote:Maybe you don't understand as traitor who left his country to go to Canada but those of us living under the 4th Reich right now want the Germans to leave us alone abandon their empire building and leave their lust for European dominance in the past. The EU needs to fall, by the bullet or by the ballot box.

I just saw a documentary about the Battle of Stalingrad. It was from German perspective of the veterans. I do not know what it is with the you British giving a harsh time to the Germans all the time. In Russia no one speaks to the German this way even though the most horrific fighting happened on the Eastern Front. Perhaps if Germans would have actually went through with Operation Sea Lion you would understand.

The war was horrible Decky, I heard the stories of German prisoners taken away at Stalingrad (not only the battle itself was a horrific nightmare but their suffering did not stop there), most of them did not survive their captivity. It made me sad, and to see the German soldiers not understand why so many of their comrades died as POW made me feel even more sorrowful. I believe they did not understand that my grandmother at the time was starving because of the war effort, so how were the Russian soldiers to take care of POWs as even their own women and children were starving at home for the war effort. I can only image what frustration and anger these prisoners endured in the hands of the Russian soldiers.

It was a brutal war Decky, that turned into most total war savage affair, that is for both nations fighting that war. Have some respect.
Last edited by Albert on 02 Jul 2018 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
By Decky
:lol: And you claim to be nationalist? The right are pathetic.
By Albert
Decky wrote::lol: And you claim to be nationalist? The right are pathetic.
Again, it seem you
Brits do not understand. Sailing around Europe on ships, bombing from the skies, and fighting few small battles with the Desert Fox did not show you the extend of that war. By the time you set foot in Europe again, Germany was mostly on the retreat.
Last edited by Albert on 02 Jul 2018 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
By Decky
Remind me who was dodging u-boats while convoying all the shit to Murmansk and Arkhangelsk to keep you chaps in the war? Was it the mighty Soviet Navy or was it someone else? ;)
By Albert
Let me give a pat on the back Decky, thank you for supporting Russians while they did the heavy lifting. Now have some respect, please.
By Atlantis
Decky wrote:The working class beat the EU in 1918 and in 1945 and we will beat you again.

The working class served as cannon fodder to keep the capitalists in power.

I knew you were a traitor, Decky.

When this is all over the EU will be just another failed Reich and Germany will lie prostrate before its enemies once again.

No Donald, we'll first have to take care of the Anglo Empire, which is the root cause for imperialism and all evil on this planet.
By Decky
I am sure that plan will go as well for you as it did last time Atlantis.

By Atlantis
There was no last time, Decky. The last time was your stupid imperialist game. We don't play that game, even if the Perfidious Albion has no other game to play. You and the Donald can play that game by yourself. The rest of humanity is sick of you.
By Seeker8
Stuart Campbell has an interesting solution for the Brexit problem:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-divided-kingdom/#more-104642

Seems to give everyone what they want. No hard border in Ireland, keeps N.Ireland and Scotland in CU and SM, England and Wales get their Brexit.

Don't see why the EU would object. What do you think?
By Beren
BBC wrote:Westminster being Westminster, eyes will immediately turn to who will replace him. The most likely candidate it seems at this stage is Michael Gove who has pitched himself as the Brexiteer that "remainers can do business with".

His public appearances defending the Brexit policy over the weekend make him certainly near the top of the list for one of the most important jobs in government.

I wonder if the UK will leave without a deal.

Lol. @FiveofSwords does not remember that he is[…]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That doesn't answer the question though, how come[…]

@Godstud I suggest you fact-check that. :lo[…]