EU-BREXIT - Page 231 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By B0ycey
SolarCross wrote:Crazy hypocrisy on your part.

Say what you see. Does the camera lie?

Farage is obviously the second coming of Churchill.

Is Farage a eugenicist too?
By SolarCross
B0ycey wrote:Is Farage a eugenicist too?

Probably not. He is ready to fight the good fight against the Fourth Reich. "Verhosestud has only got one ball, the other is in the Albert Hall..." [singing]
By Unperson-K
I wrote:Now Johnson's game plan will unfold unhindered. Parliament won't pass legislation against no-deal in time because it will be filibustered in the Lords. In the event of a vote of no confidence, the opposition to no-deal won't be able to agree on the make-up of a caretaker government, which again works in Johnson's favour: he will then be in charge of calling an election date, which will undoubtedly be placed after 31 October. Parliament won't sit in the run-up to the election, so no-deal happens by default.

Well, I was wrong there: I didn't realise that the Lords could forbid their own filibustering (or that the Tory lords would so easily allow such a prohibition without, well, filibustering it).

So, I suppose now I think that Boris will try and slap the backstop between the island of Ireland and the UK mainland, effectively leaving Northern Ireland within the customs union. In other words, dolloping make-up on May's deal. After all, Johnson has no majority either with or without the DUP and the argument that Northern Ireland should not be distinct from the rest of the UK was always rather spurious (it already is quite distinct from the UK in a wide range of matters). In this case, the question is whether Labour rebels will outweigh any revolt from the European Research Group. The size of that revolt (if indeed there is one) will depend on whether the ERG still thinks no-deal remains possible.

But let's celebrate some small mercies. The Tories just amputated a good chunk of their own party. They now have one foot in the grave.
By SolarCross
Kirillov wrote:But let's celebrate some small mercies. The Tories just amputated a good chunk of their own party. They now have one foot in the grave.

They purged a bunch of traitors who were a liability. A GE will deliver a fresh injection of new, less tainted, blood. They will be the stronger for cutting out the gangrene.
By Presvias
SolarCross wrote:They purged a bunch of traitors who were a liability. A GE will deliver a fresh injection of new, less tainted, blood. They will be the stronger for cutting out the gangrene.

No one actually knows what's going to happen in a GE. Everything is very volatile right now and according to bloomberg, several large banks like societe general, state street and others are actually backing Corbyn..

With any luck; the traditional tribal party loyalty + whip system will be upended and there'll be more real choice for MPs and their constituents.

Plus, you forget that a coalition govt is possible if the SNP dominate Scotland and the LDs wipe out the Tories in the SW and other select places; plus the DUP could seriously be finished off this time in NI.

The 'mrs robinson' scandal unseated awl peader robinson himself after all, it'd be reet grand to see them get focked.

In fact, a GE could be brilliant so as you say.. let's hope it happens soon.
By Nonsense
I am fairly certain that BoJo will do the proverbials, by 'pulling the rabbit out of the hat' , we shall see, in the meantime, the Tories should prepare for the election,because,if they don't, when they return to parliament, the opposition will resume their sabotaging tactics in parliament, which, in theory,could continue until 2022.

In effect, the opposition would indeed have staged a coup against the elected government,majority or no majority,indeed, one might expect a motion being carried in parliament ordering the government benches to the other side of the House & that would be sticking two fingers up to the last election voters as well as the leave referendum voters.

just as BoJo has ejected the treacherous vermin from the Tory front benches, so too should the electorate clear the 'remain' MP's from their constituencies & elect new MP's, respectful of the electorate.

CORBYN & co will get their come-uppance at the election,of that I do not doubt,the BLAIRITE-BROWN betrayal of the 'Labour' supporters, has continued under CORBYN & co over leaving the E.U.
The opposition will not think about the repercussions of their actions until post 31 October, they will then be forced to acknowledge they have lost.

After the election, BoJo should force a referendum on Scotland, saying to the Scottish people, if you vote to leave, you will also be voting to cut off the hands that feed you, as such, all Treasury payments to Scotland will cease immediately the vote result becomes known & confirms your decision to leave the U.K.
By Atlantis
Presvias wrote:In fact, a GE could be brilliant so as you say.. let's hope it happens soon.

I agree. The problem is that this generation of British politicians view politics not as a means of administering a country to the advantage of its people, but as a game of Bingo - or Russian roulette, in the case of the latest PM.
By SolarCross
The longer Corbyn puts off GE the worse it will be for him when it happens. For who knows how long that whining weasel faced fence post has droned on for a GE but then he says no when he realises he will lose handily because of what he did to stop brexit.

Then he promises to let it happen after he gets his surrender bill. Well he got it for all the good it will do his masters in the EU. Any more excuses will just cause him to hemorrhage even more support.

Corbyn and a lot of fellow fence posts here on pofo do not realise it but Corbyn is already finished in the UK and as long as he is in charge so is the Labour party. Boris out-foxed him.

Swinson will do better but she can only count on Remainers and there is not enough of them to get her over the finishing line. Then again now that Corbyn is bleeding out Boris will probably turn his attentions on her next. Look out!

Farage and the Brexit Party still hope Boris will make a coalition with them or an election pact. Sad hope! Really the Brexit party was Boris's first victim even before bumbling Corbyn and I suspect he will continue to eat them up through outshining Farage as the man who can serve up Brexit.

My estimation is that the GE will come soon because Corbyn will realise he can not wait and not just because he is old but because every day delayed will lose him more support. And in that GE Boris will bag a landslide, possibly out doing peak Thatcher or Blair.
By Rugoz
Rich wrote:No the problem is structural. The first past the post system is in massive tension with the emerging multi party system. First past the post only functions smoothly with a 2 party system. We now have a 5 party system: Tory, Labour, Lib-Dem, Scottish nationalist and UKIP-Brexit. UKIP/Brexit haven't won any seats but they've won 2 national elections. There are now 5 major players in our elections. This is a recipe for instability, chaos and arbitrary outcomes.

True.
By JohnRawls
Its Funny how BoJo wants to throw the DUP under the buss now after so many times the Tories prevented this from happening. The DUP will surely trust the Tories long term now :excited:

But honestly, as long as the UK is fine with it then we are also fine.
By foxdemon
Rugoz wrote:"Rich"No the problem is structural. The first past the post system is in massive tension with the emerging multi party system. First past the post only functions smoothly with a 2 party system. We now have a 5 party system: Tory, Labour, Lib-Dem, Scottish nationalist and UKIP-Brexit. UKIP/Brexit haven't won any seats but they've won 2 national elections. There are now 5 major players in our elections. This is a recipe for instability, chaos and arbitrary outcomes.

True.

I don’t think that is the best understanding of what is wrong with UK democracy.

The problem is that very few in Parliament are prepared to put the reputation of the institution ahead of their own interests. The unwritten constitution depends on a shared idea of what is permissible. Possibly the UK’s aspirational class no longer believes in the idea of English democracy any more?

The correct way to resolve the current situation would be for Boris to say he won’t stand for re-election, and the majority of Parliament to vote for an election. This would give the public a chance to kick out all those who have offended them and, since the members have acted in the interests of institutional reputation rather than in the interests of their own ambitions, thus restore the credibility of parliament.

I doubt they will fall on their swords. One consequence of being a member of the EU for so so long is that the UK parliament has lost the standing it once had with the British aspirational class. It still holds importance to a large part of the public. Given their desires are being frustrated, we can expect their resistance to the aspirational class to take new and dangerous directions.
By JohnRawls
SolarCross wrote:https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1171433850330697729

I suppose it will be not for long if Johnson delivers on what he promised. Support for the EU/Remain in Gibraltar was like 95% ?
By Kaiserschmarrn
Some people are at least honest:

foxdemon wrote:I don’t think that is the best understanding of what is wrong with UK democracy.

The problem is that very few in Parliament are prepared to put the reputation of the institution ahead of their own interests. The unwritten constitution depends on a shared idea of what is permissible. Possibly the UK’s aspirational class no longer believes in the idea of English democracy any more?

The correct way to resolve the current situation would be for Boris to say he won’t stand for re-election, and the majority of Parliament to vote for an election. This would give the public a chance to kick out all those who have offended them and, since the members have acted in the interests of institutional reputation rather than in the interests of their own ambitions, thus restore the credibility of parliament.

I think it's unwise to solely rely on MPs doing the right thing in times like this when tensions run high and a central government policy leads to an impasse. The resolution has always been for the government to say, ok, let's take it to the public, but this course of action has been blocked by the Fixed Term Parliament Act which has essentially thrown a wrench into the constitution. Another side effect of the FTPA is that it has empowered a partisan speaker and MPs like Nick Bole who has no problem denying people a vote as long as there's a risk of them voting for something he doesn't like. He doesn't even seem to realise what an astonishing admission that is.

The FTPA is an ill-conceived piece of legislation that is incompatible with how the UK political system is supposed to work and transfers influence from the public to the most odious people. It should not surprise then that it has been one of the very few legacies of the LibDems.

foxdemon wrote:I doubt they will fall on their swords. One consequence of being a member of the EU for so so long is that the UK parliament has lost the standing it once had with the British aspirational class. It still holds importance to a large part of the public. Given their desires are being frustrated, we can expect their resistance to the aspirational class to take new and dangerous directions.

Agreed. They seem to be quite keen for parliament to become nothing but a regional assembly.
By Beren
foxdemon wrote:I don’t think that is the best understanding of what is wrong with UK democracy.

There's a parliament, that's what's wrong with UK democracy. :lol:
By snapdragon
Tom Watson has taken a leaf out of Tony Blair's book and is suggesting to Corbyn that there should be a referendum before an election.

Hopefully Corbyn will see the sense of that and there will be no election until next year.

Tony Blair is right that an election should be about the party manifesto and not just about Brexit.
By Beren
Kirillov wrote:So, I suppose now I think that Boris will try and slap the backstop between the island of Ireland and the UK mainland, effectively leaving Northern Ireland within the customs union. In other words, dolloping make-up on May's deal. After all, Johnson has no majority either with or without the DUP and the argument that Northern Ireland should not be distinct from the rest of the UK was always rather spurious (it already is quite distinct from the UK in a wide range of matters).

NI and Scotland voted to remain and they're getting more and more autonomous anyway, so I'm sure he'd even be ready to break up the UK for Brexit and his base wouldn't mind it as well.

@snapdragon wrote:Tom Watson has taken a leaf out of Tony Blair's book and is suggesting to Corbyn that there should be a referendum before an election.

Hopefully Corbyn will see the sense of that and there will be no election until next year.

Tony Blair is right that an election should be about the party manifesto and not just about Brexit.

Tony Blair is a bigger fan of Remain than Corbyn and he simply believes it would have a better chance against no deal than Corbyn would have against Johnson.
By Nonsense
Beren wrote:There's a parliament, that's what's wrong with UK democracy. :lol:

Wrong question Beren, should be, "What's 'right' with U.K democracy?
By Nonsense
snapdragon wrote:Tom Watson has taken a leaf out of Tony Blair's book and is suggesting to Corbyn that there should be a referendum before an election.

This merely confirms an earlier post, in which I commented that Labours tactics are about pushing it's own agenda, AKA, 'playing politics''.

I also said, which is true, which this also confirms, that a 'second referendum' with the option to 'remain', is a blatant attempt, at circumventing democracy by avoiding the ballot box in a general election.

Whether it's stopping a 'no-deal', a 'confirmatory' vote on any deal, a 'second referendum', they are just playing politics vis a' vie the 2016 referendum result.

This is part of the dishonesty of Labour's Tom WATSON's message, “The only proper way to proceed in such circumstances is to consult the people again,” he will say it must take place before a general election.
It comes as Mr Corbyn is meeting union leaders to set out a manifesto policy which would see the party offer a referendum choice between “credible” Remain and Leave options without committing itself to backing either side.
Watson, in a speech in London,on Wednesday, will insist that if an election comes first, Labour should fight it “unambiguously and unequivocally” backing Remain.

They(Labour) patently show the utmost contempt for democracy over ideology, no matter how bad the Tories may be, at least they have one Leader, prepared to deliver on that democracy of the people.
Watson will say,2016 Referendum“no longer a valid basis on which to take such a momentous decision about the future of the United Kingdom”

That is the measure of that contemptible deluded fool with the temerity to call himself a 'democrat'.

In another place in that little hamlet called Scotland, the Sassenachs Court of Session has overturned the original finding on prorogation of the U.K parliament.

That will be ignored by the government, because the Court has impinged on parliament's executive, the government,I strongly suspect the Supreme Court will uphold the judgement against MILLER-MAJOR,rendering the Scotish Court's appeal decision useless political drivel.

If parliament wanted to, it could have voted against prorogation itself,simply by a show of hands, that it did not, speaks volumes.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 , if someone enters your house withou[…]

Considering you have the intelligence of an oyste[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable just[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]