EU-BREXIT - Page 245 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Beren
The Guardian wrote:Farage says Cummings should quit because prorogation 'worst political decision ever'

Nigel Farage, the Brexit party leader, is also calling for someone to resign. But he wants Dominic Cummings, the PM’s chief of staff, to quit. Cumming is widely seen as the person encouraging Boris Johnson to adopt an ultra-confrontational approach with parliament.

Farage’s comment suggests he is worried Johnson’s tactics could be jeopardising the whole Brexit project.

Thank you Nigel for telling us whose brilliant idea it was! :lol:
By Rich
Nonsense wrote:however,irrespective of the direction by the High Court, the U.K will Leave the E.U on 31 October 2019.

Well if you say so then it must be true. I bow to your superior intelligence. How different you are from the cretinous retards that said we would defintely leave on the 29th Match and 22nd May.

Lacking your intelligence I'm not capable of such decisive, sharp and clear analysis, but what do people think about the possibility that this judgment by the supreme court might just weaken, Boris Johnson's negotiating position with the EU just a tiny little bit?
By Presvias
Apparently, according to others, the ruling stipulates that any new prorogations shall be no more than 6 days in length, and that the speaker can actually reconvene parliament...

That's um, a real kick in the goolies for 'Brojo', I expect their next move will be total filibuster & sabotage of every new bill/passage of other legislation in the house of lords and commons?
By Rich
American Conservatives love to celebrate America's lack of democracy. The founder elite didn't trust the ordinary people hence the statement "This is a Republic not a Democracy!". Similarly in Britain Conservatives could say "This is not a Democracy this is a constitutionless Monarchy."

With this judgement arguably we've been on a slippery slope towards democracy since 1688.
Last edited by Rich on 24 Sep 2019 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
By Nonsense
IMHO, I see it, in political terms, as a pyrrhic 'victory',it being a 'legal' judgement, has brought two separate functions of our constitution into the parliamentary process.
Our unwritten constitution,since the 1689 settlement, has functioned reasonably, because it is 'dualist' or 'separate', this 'legal' interference interrupts the 'balance of power' between Crown, parliament & people.

It is probably not recognised or acknowledged by the majority of people as to the real nature of our so-called 'democracy', for which that 'balance of power' has now been abused by the High Court.
The real nature of parliament, is that it is an 'elective dictatorship', it is within the somewhat gilded description of 'parliamentary sovereignty' an iron fist within a velvet glove.

If parliament so desires, simply by a wave of hands,can, declare war on any foreign power, sentence anyone, from King or Queen,MP,PM or indeed any person, to death,or imprisonment, simply by a motion, followed by a raising of hands & yet people embrace that situation without the safeguard of a written constitution.

It follows that the current P.M could, on resumption of parliament, be held to account for the suspension & imprisonment could follow.

That may seem far-fetched, but, is a distinct possibility,arising from the situation in which the government is in as a minority.

However, as always, whatever parliament imposes, another can depose of, so any action, following a successful election result, can completely overturn any action's of it's predecessors.

On the outcome of that election,were the Tories to win, everything that has hindered our leaving the E.U will simply be washed away, included the mutinous rabble of remain MP's that have orchestrated the course of events of late & the people will not be denied the 2016 referendum result.
By Nonsense
When parliament does resume, it itself will be on trial in the way that it handles itself between then & calling an election.

Being the government is in a minority, it is still the government elected by the people, for parliament to compound it's contempt for the direct democratic decision of the people in a referendum, by denying an election, in which the people can voice their will again,through usurping parliament for their own machinations, without recourse to seeking a mandate into which to wield parliamentary power, is sure to enrage the people further.

They should make the call for that election, as not doing so would bring further disdain for parliament.
By B0ycey
Beren wrote:Thank you Nigel for telling us whose brilliant idea it was! :lol:

Has Farage declared he wants to be the star witness in the Cummings case??

:lol:

There has to be a fall guy I guess. So if the government intend to follow the law, what now for Brexit in October? :lol:
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:American Conservatives love to celebrate America's lack of democracy. The founder elite didn't trust the ordinary people hence the statement "This is a Republic not a Democracy!". Similarly in Britain Conservatives could say "This is not a Democracy this a constitutionless Monarchy."

With this judgement arguably we've been on a slippery slope towards democracy since 1688.

By declaring it's Independence on 4th Jully 1776, America became an independent democratic nation & no longer simply a colony of GB.

It is still based on democracy alone, but there is of course a large constituent of 'Republican' representation, as opposed to 'democratic'.

Like it's counter part in the U.K, the Republicans profess the need for 'small' government,but that is hypocritical, they, like the Tories, utilise the nation's treasury to their political ends, whereas 'democrats' in both countries, never fully utilise the power to change things for the people, compared to Republicans or Tories in the U.K do for business.
Last edited by Nonsense on 24 Sep 2019 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:Has Farage declared he wants to be the star witness in the Cummings case??

:lol:

There has to be a fall guy I guess. So if the government intend to follow the law, what now for Brexit in October? :lol:

The end game BOycey is not 31 October, it's the coming election, whatever happens, or doesn't, probably determines that election outcome,from that point, what you say is relevant.
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:Well if you say so then it must be true. I bow to your superior intelligence. How different you are from the cretinous retards that said we would defintely leave on the 29th Match and 22nd May.

Lacking your intelligence I'm not capable of such decisive, sharp and clear analysis, but what do people think about the possibility that this judgment by the supreme court might just weaken, Boris Johnson's negotiating position with the EU just a tiny little bit?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit-Rich, but, I guess you knew that :eh: .
By B0ycey
Nonsense wrote:The end game BOycey is not 31 October, it's the coming election, whatever happens, or doesn't, probably determines that election outcome,from that point, what you say is relevant.

As long as we both acknowledge that the 31st appears unlikely then I agree the next election should determine Brexits outcome one way or another. And Boris should just adhere and work to the law rather than backdoor shenanigans. We all know the GE is coming. So why the impatience?
By Rich
Nonsense wrote:Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit-Rich, but, I guess you knew that :eh: .

I would in all honesty prefer not to feel the need to resort to sarcasm. If you would just replace your

"We will leave on date X."s

with things like

"I'm almost certain, we will leave on date X."
"We ought to leave on date X."
"It would be a travesty if we don't leave on X."

then I can happily withdraw my sarcasm.
By Presvias
B0ycey wrote:As long as we both acknowledge that the 31st appears unlikely then I agree the next election should determine Brexits outcome one way or another. And Boris should just adhere and work to the law rather than backdoor shenanigans. We all know the GE is coming. So why the impatience?

Exactly.

Why the impatience? Hmm..maybe because Doris Bunsen is as nervous as a cow with a stun gun pointed at its head? He's got to try and push this through to make money for him and his Brexit shortcakers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -the-crash
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:As long as we both acknowledge that the 31st appears unlikely then I agree the next election should determine Brexits outcome one way or another. And Boris should just adhere and work to the law rather than backdoor shenanigans. We all know the GE is coming. So why the impatience?

I am not ready to concede on that point,past performance not being a guide to what is yet to be determined,but I do acknowledge that it is a debatable point in the current circumstances.

It should be recognised that, all of the 'remian' commentaries on T.V this morning declaring that BoJo acted 'illegally' or 'lied' to the Queen,are acting as though that was always the case,in fact, until the judgement this morning, that was not the case...just saying.

On 31 October, parliament, for all of it's power of sovereignty, were it to revoke A50, well, do I need to spell it out,I mean, that would be an abominable stupifying act, spitting in the face of 17.4 Million voters.

As BoJo has just re-asserted, we will leave on 31 October, despite the High Court ruling, which is nothing to do with the 'no deal' Act of Parliament.

The reason is, it is an International Treaty, which is a government-government agreement,although, once it passes, parliament can summon the P.M to question him, or to 'scrutinise' his 'actions', which of course, he is not required to act to bring about our leaving on 31 October.

Importantly, remember this, it was parliament itself that invoked A50 & only revoking A50 can leaving be stopped by parliament.

Now, politically, remainer MP's introduced the 'no deal' legislation, in order to avoid the blame were they to revoke A50.

By the same vein, CORBYN, with his party, want a 'confirmatory' referendum nonsense, to re-write the 2016 referendum result, with the 'no deal' Act to circumvent democractic blame for thwarting Brexit directly with revocation in parliament.

I think that, despite the political situation, that BoJo is compos mentis, perhaps solely within the confines of Westminster & is acting with some dignity in the situation.

I think that it is imperative to have the election, not because it would be impatient to have one, but because the people want their voices heard sooner or later & to salvage a small part of parliament's reputatin.

You see, just like MP's say that BoJo was avoiding parliament, so too are MP's in parliament, avoiding the people in a situation in which they want to make their voices heard.
Last edited by Nonsense on 24 Sep 2019 13:46, edited 3 times in total.
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:I would in all honesty prefer not to feel the need to resort to sarcasm. If you would just replace your

"We will leave on date X."s

with things like

"I'm almost certain, we will leave on date X."
"We ought to leave on date X."
"It would be a travesty if we don't leave on X."

then I can happily withdraw my sarcasm.

But then that wouldn't be the Rich that I know would it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Atlantis
The UK prime minister said:

As the law currently stands the UK leaves the EU on 31 October, come what may.

No Boris, "as the law stands" your are not allowed to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 Oct. or any other day.

Did the PM somehow miss UK history of the last 3 or 4 centuries and that the UK is no longer under feudal rule in which a tin-pot dictator can decide to leave on "31 Oct., come what may."
By B0ycey
Atlantis wrote:No Boris, "as the law stands" your are not allowed to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 Oct. or any other day.

Don't be to harsh on BoJo Atlantis. Understanding the law isn't his forte. Hence todays verdict. :lol:
By Potemkin
Atlantis wrote:The UK prime minister said:

No Boris, "as the law stands" your are not allowed to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 Oct. or any other day.

Did the PM somehow miss UK history of the last 3 or 4 centuries and that the UK is no longer under feudal rule in which a tin-pot dictator can decide to leave on "31 Oct., come what may."

Actually, the UK is still under feudal rule. Unlike most other modern nations, we have never had a successful popular revolution. We just gave our existing feudal system a fresh coat of paint and a new set of chrome hub caps. Lol.
By Presvias
Potemkin wrote:Actually, the UK is still under feudal rule. Unlike most other modern nations, we have never had a successful popular revolution. We just gave our existing feudal system a fresh coat of paint and a new set of chrome hub caps. Lol.

Are you a Trotskyist communist or more left, or Stalinist?

It's true, the 'revolutionary wave' never fully immersed us, but I guess that's true in most of western europe too though. In Vienna for example, the same thing happened more or less.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Marjorie Taylor Greene is your woman. She hates s[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]